Attention

The Girl Behind The Camera | A Park Jimin's Story

A few of the videos are coming out one by one from each of their channels, and the reactions they are receiving are precious. You never want to gain such attention, since that is the first reason why you covered your faces for the entire cameos in their channels, but the flattering comments still manage to overwhelm you in a nice way. The boys keep on bombarding your message inbox with tons of ‘thank you’s and ‘our fans love you’s, which aren’t something you want to accept, appreciate nevertheless. You just want to help them, give them what they deserve after letting you staying in their house, treating you like a part of them and so on. They never forced you to do this, even though they were the one who claimed the idea, but they still respected each of your decision.

 

It’s funny how everyone in their fandom is diverting attention to the masked girl who keeps appearing in their videos. How can your presence excites them? What makes them so enthralled to know who you are despite all you do is just breathing? Are you that charming that everyone keeps on throwing their attention and love towards the girl behind the camera? You never see yourself as someone admirable. You can never get accustomed with the idea of receiving attention.

 

Attention.

 

Of course you do need it. But only from people that you also care to give attention to. Your social circle, you never expand it and always keep all those few people close to you. Those classmates and schoolmates of yours, those few contacts with athletes that you socialize with in competitions you went, you label them nothing close to friends. You socialize just to get in good terms, just to be acquaintances, just to be professional. Conversations and chats are never initiated by you unless it’s for ‘business’ purposes. After the objectives of a conversation that you engaged have accomplished, you will never waste time to speak more and detach yourself immediately.

 

You prefer it that way. It is safer and less painful, to say the least.

 

This little principle of your life applies on everyone, regardless age and background. You always keep all those information of yourself hidden, unreachable. You give yourself a pat in the back, because you know you are doing an unexpectedly great job with that. Barely all the teachers know your name regardless of the fact that you always top your personal ranking with one digit for every semester and never fails to score less than 3.75 for every examination. This school is reeking of brilliant students, scoring A for every subject is a norm. There are at least a dozen of students share the similar ability with you, and you never have ever felt more welcomed to let them overshadow you.

 

But of course, you can never hide yourself under their shadows forever.

 

“Thank you for bringing them over, Ms. Kim y/n,”

 

You shoot your eyes upward, a little caught off guard to hear your name smoothly escapes from Mr. Shin’s chapped lips, your Chemistry teacher. The aged man notices your expression, pushing his rectangle framed spectacles further on his nose bridge, eyeing you with almost in a menacing way. The man is just as tall as you, but the way he stares you makes you feel smaller, weaker.

 

“And why with that face, Ms. Kim?”

 

“Ah,” you wait a beat, letting yourself gulp down the discomfort before beginning to speak again, “I’m sorry, sir. It’s just, I am a little astounded due to the fact that you know my full name,”

 

The corner of his lips tugs a little upward, trying to flash you a sincere smile. You can see the effort in spite of the smile comes off to be a little overbearing, but you appreciate it nonetheless.

 

“Of course I know your name. You’re my only student that manage to maintain an excellent grade for my subject,” he speaks, gaze wandering off of your eyes for awhile, taking a seat on his rolling chair and finds your eyes back with his.

 

“Sir, I believe there’s handful of students with more impressive results than mine,” you don’t even accept the praise. You’re not good in receiving compliments, even Jimin notices it. The feeling is prodigious, when Jimin keeps showering you with endless good words. You are still trying to adjusting with the feeling, and you find the praises really endearing.

 

However, when it’s not Jimin or any of your close friends, you find it disturbing.

 

“I know. But you get A+ for every test and quiz, when other people only get the grade once in a blue moon,”

 

Heat flushes from your neck to your cheeks, fingers intertwining into each other tighter.

 

“I can never get them without your help, Sir. Thank you,” you bow a little, curving your lips into a little smile.

 

“I am aware that you are also in the school gymnastics team?”

 

Every time the man opens his mouth, there’ll always an information of you that makes you weirded out on how this man knows so much about you. You know both of your status as top scorer and school’s gymnast are not something odd to hear amongst the school’s community, but it’s not overrated, not to extent that this teacher - who always care about his students’ grades and discipline acts only - to know about it.

 

And when this man is addressing a fact other than academics towards you, you can sense him being cryptic, and you’re dreading for his impending words and opinions on it.

 

“I’m afraid that your sports activity might interrupt your focus on your academic, Ms. Kim,” he announces, with a hint of distaste in his chord. You know if Mr. Shin could rephrase his words back, he would replace the words ‘your academic’ with ‘my class’. The line of educators in this school have always been really committed on achieving the highest remarks especially in academic wise. Yet, every teacher always push for extra miles to upgrade their students in their own subject only. All of the students know about this, all of you are acknowledged with what you have registered yourselves into.

 

You are presumed to meet their expectations, which they always set them high, almost impossible for anyone to reach. Of course, there’s still prominent numbers of students in this institute that are able to make the educators satiable. But, that’s that. It’s just for the sake of the teachers’ satisfaction, just to make the teachers shut their mouths from keep rambling toxic words to student and brainwash them with pathetic skeptical thoughts.

 

And when Mr. Shin sees a matter that might be a potential factor of downfall of his soaring achievements throughout this whole decades of him serving under the school, he endeavours his best attempts on stopping the possibilities to happen.

 

Even if it might involve a student’s passion or privacy.

 

“There’s nothing you should worry about, Mr. Shin. I am doing fine,” you reciprocate, finding it weird that you’re a little surprised to hear that from him when that is what you should expect from every teacher in the school - to be overly concerned of a student’s academic performance in unfathomable level.

 

“How can you sound so sure? The school’s examination is nothing to compare with the college entrance exam,” the man leans into his cushioned chair, maintaining a smug expression on his wrinkled face.

 

You know it’s a lie. If Mr. Shin assumes that you are intimidated by the fabrication, he’s wrong. Even if it’s the truth, you don’t see the big deal of it to make you terrified. Grades cannot and will never determine your future and your life, that is what Namjoon keeps on reminding you since you’re a toddler. Not to mention that the exam questions made by the exam panels of the school are actually as difficult as the college entrance exams. The local citizens even heard rumours that the questions almost as equivalent to SNU’s entrance exams. That is how distressing the school is.

 

Some do survive, like you and your beloved besties, but some don’t.

 

“I know, Sir,” you lie, feeling distasteful lurch in your stomach for the action before you proceed, “but, I have faith in myself and I’ll try the best that I can,” just to make your wrinkled old satisfied.

 

Before he can retaliate, you excuse yourself immediately and dismiss from his cubicle. You breathe as soon as you push yourself out of the confined room, brows furrowing, eyes shutting tight as you comprehend the conversation that had just went. When you fling your eyelids up, a realisation dawn into you.

 

Someone is paying attention on you.

 

 

“Hi, babe. How’s your day?”

 

Jimin asks, phone in between his ear and his shoulder as both of his hands are occupied with a bowl and a whisker. The grey head is helping Jin with the dinner, baking brownies as the dessert for today’s meal in the kitchen alongside with Jin and Hoseok along. Snickers and knowing glances are given to Jimin when they know who is on the other side, making Jimin rolls his eyes and back to whisking the mixture.

 

It is evident how exhausted you are just by your annoyed groan, probably an enough reaction to know that your day isn’t the best. The reply pulls Jimin’s lips downward, shaping a frown and Jimin is certain you know that he is doing so. He hopes he could kiss your dismay away, feed you all vanilla ice cream you can fit in your stomach and cuddle you up to sleep. Well, of course he can’t do that, considering the distance and the rules that you are still tied up to.

 

“Typical. Tiring and loads of homework. The teachers are merciless I don’t even know if they are actually humans or devils,” you muffle through the phone, chuckling bitterly.

 

Jimin never forgets how exasperating school days could be when he was still an undergraduate student. The endless homework and assignments were the only thing that kept occupying his daily schedule but he managed to unwind his stress with attending parties and playing games. It is unfortunate for you to have limited time and freedom to avert your attention from school. Especially when you are attending an elite full-boarding school.

 

“I hope I can do something for you, dear. I’m sorry to hear that,” Jimin sighs, unpleased to the fact he can do nothing to lessen your tiresome day.

 

“Hey, it’s okay. You listening to me is comforting enough. Plus, I have my dumb friends to entertain me and the whole gym for me to play around,”

 

A chuckle escapes from his full lips, head thrown backward when the man can hear a faint ‘WHO’RE YOU CALLING DUMB?’ at the back, probably from one of your roommates, Jimin thought. When your cute giggle echoes from the phone, Jimin can feel his heart swells to the angelic sound, ease to the fact that your friends can make you laugh.

 

“You really love gymnastics, huh?” Jimin asks when you brought up the gym topic as he pours the batter into a mold.

 

“I do enjoy it to the point I can’t even notice what’s happening around me. Well, I guess I do love it then,”

 

Jimin has never seen you in your element, making him wonders how you would look like when you are in complete focus. Other than the stunts that you pulled for Namjoon’s vlogs almost two months ago, Jimin hasn’t watched you playing a role as a gymnast. Of course Jimin would like to watch your performance, be present for every event just to cheer for you and understand how gymnastics means to you.

 

“What are you doing, by the way? Is your day doing better?”

 

“Am baking brownies in the kitchen. Hoseok hyung and Jin hyung are also here, preparing for dinner. My day is fine. Not as distressing as yours I would say,” Jimin throws his gaze towards both of the older hyungs, looking at their directions just to find that the stoves are abandoned, and Jin and Hoseok are running to the phone.

 

“y/n misses me? You miss me the most, didn’t you?” Hoseok shouts into the phone, as Jimin is struggling to not let any of them seize the gadget away from him.

 

“No! Of course you miss me the most right? y/n?” Jin pushes Hoseok away, rushingly mumbles the words off.

 

“Hyungs. Can you collect yourself together and let me open the speaker to both of you, please?” Jimin pulls his hand off Hoseok’s tight grip, switching the speaker on just to hear your soft genuine chuckles.

 

“I miss all of you, okay? I miss dancing and cooking with you,”

 

When the words resonate from the phone, both of the men smile warmly, receiving the sheer fondness laced in every of your word. Jimin forgets that you are literally, officially have been the baby girl of Bangtan squad. The fact is undebatable, even Jungkook is willingly to portray a brother figure towards you and shows his unadulterated affection despite of the fact that he used to be one who get pampered all the time.

 

“Aww, y/n. We wish we could spend more time with you too,” Jin coos, wishes he could give you a warm hug if you are right in front of them.

 

“ that you’re still in school, y’know?” Hoseok huffs, puffing his cheeks out and lips curving downwards to form an upsided V shape.

 

“I know right? I hope to see all of you as soon as possible though,”

 

“We too! It’s really nice to hear from you, my dear. Hope you’re going smooth with your school. Be a good girl and take care of yourself, okay? We love you!” the encouraging words slip off Hoseok’s mouth warmly, ending the short conversation followed by Jin’s quick ‘Love you!’ Both of the hyungs beam contentedly when they can hear a faint reciprocate of ‘love yall too!’ from the phone before Jimin retracts it back to his ear, diving back to his personal talk.

 

“We miss you, y/n. I miss you so much,” Jimin sighs, lips are curving downwards.

 

“I know, Jimin and trust me I miss you too. The last time we parted ways… It’s kinda abrupt, you know?”

 

It was, it really was. Until this very day, Jimin and you cannot peel the memory of the night off from both of your brains. The distress, the anguish is still there. The wound is still fresh, unhealed in your hearts. The depressing sigh that Jimin can hear from you makes him more downcasted. It feels that you can’t do anything to make someone you care so much feel better.

 

Unless, what if he can?