Warm Surprise, Cold Response

The Girl Behind The Camera | A Park Jimin's Story

The car is bring to a halt as soon as they stop in front of a sombre, huge double-storey house looking really decent and elegant. From the asphalt, you can probably see the balcony on the second floor, confined by a thick, transparent glass wall with the same height to your or a little lower, and the balcony is simply adorned with mini tub chairs and a coffee table.

Not bad, you would say.   

Namjoon appears beside you with your suitcase in his hand, ambling forward to the doorway and then presses the button as a ringing sound echoes in the house. You quickly tail your brother steps and fix your stance behind him, inhaling deeply as you try to tame your heartbeat to dwindle the vigorous speed.

A girl living with seven men? Sounds safe to other people, but probably not to you. Since you're 13, the only gender that has been revolved around you was female. Of course there is a few male educators in your school, but the youngest among the one handful is his late 40s. It's not like you'll pass out if a random teen boy or adult in his 20s suddenly start a conversation with you, but for other matters than business? You are too rusty for that, you just afraid you'll tremble and become too awkward.  

Yeah, that's the reason why you barely date and always ended up crushing to multiple boys from others school you met during competitions or trips. You are just too comfortable being around girls, you almost have a thought that you need no guy in your life other than your family members. However, in the era when your hormones are raging vehemently, there's no way you'll get out of this phase without at least having crushes.  

Well, that's what you're doing now.  

"Hey, y/n, you're good?" Namjoon taps his sister's back, and then moves his enormous palm to pat your hair softly, sending soothing effect to you. You just reply his question with a nervous smile, which successfully make Namjoon chuckles with that cute action.  

"Don't worry. They're my friends, they're totally under control. Might be a little crazy, but still controllable," Namjoon says bluntly, and then twists the doorknob, pulling you along with him when the fact that you still haven't stabilize the intensity of your heartbeat.  

"SURPRISE!"  

Your eyes widen in total perplexity and surprise when you can see resplendent balloons are scattered on the floor and glittering confetti floats in the air, looking like it's raining, but with confetti instead of water droplets. A cute little banner written "WELCOME HOME Y/N" is hanged on the wall, the colorful color of the blocks of alphabets totally contrasting to the dull smokey grey of the wall. Six faces that you are not too familiar, but acquainted enough to know that's Joonie's squad flash their widest, welcoming and warm grins, making your heart softens a little.  

Well, maybe this is not too bad. You whisper in your heart.  

When you shift your gaze back from the intriguing surrounding to the men across the whole living room, you can feel a sudden heat of discomfort conquer yourself, because when you land your eyes on them...  

... You can see cameras everywhere.  

As your eyes tremble in fear that you try to hide ever since you notice the presence of those cameras, you withdraw a few steps and push yourself behind Namjoon, trying to conceal your face that is evident that you are frantic with the immense amount of attention that is paid on you. Something suddenly comes across Namjoon's mind when he can feel your fingers that are cocooning around his arm as cold as ice.  

Shifting his gaze from your trembling eyes, to your fingers and then to the panicked friends of his, Namjoon quickly gives them a reassuring smile.  

"Ah, I'm sorry, she's just... not used to this environment. Plus, a student from a girl boarding school, what do you expect?" Namjoon mutters with smile still plastered on his lips, raising his palms as a sign that everything is fine for them.  

It is just not too fine for you.  

Namjoon quickly drags you to your room when Namjoon can feel your fingers tugging onto his cardigan, a sign that Namjoon comprehends right away. You finally lets out a heavy, relief sigh when your whole body is not visible in their vision anymore, making you catch your breath back after holding it back for a very long time. Throwing yourself right onto the queen sized bed, you quickly wipe your sweat that is dripping by your forehead with the back of your palm.  

"I'm sorry you have to endure that. I hope you don't take it too seriously, they are genuinely trying to make you feel better. I don't even know about this whole little party thing as a proof. They make this all by themselves," Namjoon utters while taking a seat on the bed, beside the sprawled you. Hastily fixing your position, shifting your weight beside Namjoon, you give him your most soothing smile.  

"I know, Namjoon. I'm fine. It's just... I'm just..." you try to let out a reason, but you end up stuttering.  

"Hey, no you're not. And I'm sorry," Namjoon surrounds your shoulders with his arm as you lean your head against his shoulder.  

"Stop saying sorry to me. It's no one's fault. I'm seriously okay here. You should go catch up with your friends. And say thank you for me," you replies softly, lifting your head up to let him dismissed.  

"You're okay? Seriously?"  

"Yes, Joon. My heart melts at the first sight seeing those balloons and confetti and those warm smiles. Go, they'll probably take my reaction to some false assumptions," you wave your hands, shooing the elder sibling of yours out of your new room.  

"Okay, okay. Give me a minute, and I'll come back,"  

You give him an 'ok' sign with your fingers. As soon as the door is shut closed, you bang your head back onto the mattress hard, as you bring your palms onto your face, covering the flushed face of yours before you burst into silent tears.  

You can't be like this, you can't act this way. You should toughen yourself.  

Trying your best to restrain the tears from cascading more, you wipe the beads of water off your face and start to unpack your things.