Joon Comes to Rescue

The Girl Behind The Camera | A Park Jimin's Story

It’s a weekend anew. And you’re awake early again, not sure because it’s a habit or it’s because you can’t sleep. You try to force yourself to get back into your slumber, but seems like 7.00 a.m. isn’t a time that you usually still be lying on the bed. Your body is so used to it. Hence, even though your brain is already aware that you won’t have any reasons to wake up early anymore, your body becomes a rebel she is. Since you really aren’t going to sleep anymore, you get yourself out of the bed and tidy it up, deciding to start your day earlier than the others.

 

But what should you do? You don’t have any mood on writing any essays or solving any Mathematics problems in this early morning. You don’t have any chores to do, all laundry is done by last night. Heeyoung and Rina are still in deep sleep, indicating that you have no one to talk with. What would you usually do this early morning?

 

You’ve brushed your teeth and washed your face. You’ve taken your breakfast bites like you usually would. The routine feels so invigorating yet so familiar to you, and you just laugh at yourself at how dramatic you actually are because, duh, it’s your routine that you left for whole two weeks.

 

And because of that very routine, now here you are, standing at the door outside of the gym. Usually, you would have your leotard ready beneath your hoodie and sweatpants. However, since you can’t even lay your eyes on your leotards in your closet for the past couple weeks, you decide to let the leotards stay folded. It’s funny that you find your way back to this gym after weeks of avoiding it. Well, seems like you can’t hold this back anymore.

 

You just love gymnastics too much.

 

Frankly speaking, the real reason you have been avoiding from going the gym is because it would always remind you about the competition. The national competition that you’ve been dreaming on to participate since you were a beginner. And also the same competition that you were forced to withdraw from. The thought of your dream crashes down on you just in a blink of an eye - thanks to an old grumpy man that loves making his students suffer - is really devastating. The effort you put through months and years, perfecting every move from bars to beams, is thrown to waste.

 

Nevertheless, it is baffling, to even your ownself, to find your way naturally at the doorstep of the school’s gym. A place that you are too familiar with, spending at least half a decade in here. From the happiest laugh or tears of joy to the most sorrowful cries and despairing bickers, the gym has witnessed everything. You feel home whenever you step into the sanctuary. No wonder no matter how hard you try to stay away, gymnastics will always find a soft spot in your heart to lure you back to where you belong.

 

Because you love it.

 

You love gymnastics.

 

With a dignified smile, you push the door open and step ahead, willingly to accept the home feeling of gymnastics again after a false hope of-

 

“Oh my god what the hell takes you so long to come here?”

 

You freeze on the spot, wide eyes locked on the woman who is sitting leisurely on the thick blue cushion, arms crossing over her chest, typical unbothered face painted on her face. A sudden mix of emotions hit you inside, making you hesitate and unsure for what to respond at the question. Should you apologize for dropping the participation? Should you cry because you miss her so much? Should you feel scared that she might be disappointed with you?

 

“Stop overthinking and get your here, y/n,” Soyeon’s voice interrupts your little monologue as she spreads her arms wide, a fond smile gracing upon her lips. The smile, even though appears once in awhile, it never feels foreign to either both of you. Only then, your tears flow from your glassy eyes and you run to her, receiving the hug that she offers. You love how welcoming it feels like despite the lack of affection Soyeon shows throughout these years. Your smile curves even wider when the older brushes her fingertips oh so softly on your hair, caressing it with overflowing care and attention.

 

“You can always do gymnastics even if you’re not competing in any match, y/n. You don’t need any reasons to come here and play with the equipments,” she whispers into your ears, fingers still playing with the strands of your hair.

 

You just remain in silent, tears turning into sobs as you shamelessly dig into the crook of her neck, resting your head there. The older doesn’t find it odd at all. Soyeon even pulls you closer, hand’s rubbing your back as an attempt to calm your sobbing down.

 

“I get it you feel sad about the competition. But you can never deny that you love gymnastics too much for you to give any damn about the national game. I know you’ll find your way back in here anytime soon,”

 

You let the words sink into your mind, trying to comprehend them deeply since they seem like relatable. Minutes have passed but you refuse to move away from the hug, and Soyeon gets the hint right away.

 

“You can never go far from where you belong. You’ll always come back to what you love no matter how hurt it makes you feel, because you know the happiness that it brings is always worth the pain,”

 

Your brows are knitted together when the words echo in your head, lingering in your mind, demanding for you to do something with them. To find something that reminds you of those words. To remind you the other significant thing in your life that you love so much it worths the pain.

 

And only then when it clicks.

 

“That’s how love works, huh?” you muffle weakly as your lips are pressed softly against the older’s sweater, realization starts to dawn in you. Soyeon nods slightly as a reply, relieved that you’ve finally calmed down after an emotional breakdown. Both of you remain in the position for awhile, the older’s hand making circles on your back while you just taking your time dwindling the sniffles.

 

“How do you know I’d be here today?” you ask right away after the hug unhooked, fingers wiping off the tear trails and eyebrow inquisitively.

 

“I’ve been here for the last weekend too, and you weren’t there. I know you’ll show up in anytime soon so I decided to pay a visit every weekend morning. Well, didn’t know you’ll get your back in here so quick,”

 

“Hey! It has been two weeks!” a chuckle escapes your lips, making the other mirrors your action too.

 

You wonder what have you done in your past life to deserve such amazing people to exist in your life. The ones who never give up on you, the ones who always be there even though you messed up big time and make unforgivable mistakes, the ones who never stop showing you the bright side of life. Soyeon has been a sister figure for you, and the grumpy woman has never let you down even when you constantly, let her down.

 

Your smile fades away eventually, replaced with an ugly frown and immediately followed by a sigh before you speak, “I’m sorry that this happens. It’s all my fault,”

 

“Oh, come on,” Soyeon leans in closer, ruffling your hair fondly with no anger or distress etched on her features, “I’m completely fine. I did stuff when I was in your age too,”

 

“Too old for this conversation, huh?”

 

“Shut up,”

 

Cackle erupts from your mouth, genuinely feeling pleased every time you get the chance to clown Soyeon. The other rolls her eyes, feigning exasperation before a smile graces on her lips. Suddenly, your little conversation is interrupted by a few knocks from the door, making both of you shift your gazes towards it.

 

“Well, seems like you have visitors,”

 

After excusing yourself for a couple minutes from Soyeon, you quickly approach both of your friends who look a little too giddy for someone that just awake from their sleeps. This scene before you hits a sense of deja vu, and for some reasons, it makes you feel restless because your hopes are elevated even though you’re not supposed to. Will a miracle happen? But even if it will, are you even ready to face him again?

 

“Good morning, girlfriends,” you greet while being pulled into a group hug, feeling fond with the sudden action as you can’t keep your giggles in bay. The hug is somehow very tight, it feels like a hug where a group of friends just have their reunion after years of not seeing each other. When three of you lean away, an unexplainable joy is written on each of their faces and you wonder why.

 

“Having a nice day, ladies?”

 

“The weather’s fine. Like extremely fine,” Heeyoung replies almost immediately, lips smiling so wide you’re sure her cheeks will hurt. Rina just nods in agreement, the similar smile plastered on her face.

 

Your friends are just feeling contented to know that you’re finally getting out of your bed and living a life like a normal human being. They don’t blame you to act that way before, because they didn’t lie when they say that your life was catastrophic as hell. But, seeing you depriving yourself from eating and basically from doing your normal routine really hurts. You finally starting to visit the gym again is a progress. They are just feeling happy and proud of you, nothing deep.

 

“By the way, uhh… We brought you a ‘fan’,” Rina mutters, hesitating.

 

Your eyes slowly widened, brows furrowed, bewilderment crosses on each and every feature. You’re not sure if the three of you are in the same page or otherwise, but that familiar line can make you misunderstand things.

 

Or what if the thought that you’re thinking is real?

 

What if he’s really here?

 

And when a figure emerges behind the two friends of yours, appearing from the corner and walks to stop behind them, your widened eyes shift their gaze towards the guy. The breath that you are holding in is instantly exhaled, your lips are curving into a beam, tensed body immediately eased.

 

Oh God, how you miss him.

 

You quickly dash to throw yourself on him, looping your arms around the taller’s back as a relieved sighs escape both of your mouths.

 

“You came at the right time, Joonie,” you muffle, eyes shutting close as the other caresses your hair.

 

“I know you’ll be needing vanilla ice cream once in a while,”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/n: Miss me? :D