The Locked Memories of Us..

My Unexpected Fated Route To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Thank you! Not only me, you are also working the hardest you can helping me to find them. We are a team. We can now move forward from here. There is no more waiting, ajusshi. Thank you for never giving up. No, I haven’t mentioned anything about it yet. Oh, it is really okay for me to tell them about that myself? Okay, but the details are on you. I am going to see you on Monday hopefully with them along. Yeah, thanks! I am sorry for making you surprised. Bye!” Jasmine ends the call there. “Are you okay?” Kyungsoo asks her. She nods wiping all the tears away. She has a lot to say and she needs to be really conscious. She takes a look at Mr Doh and Mrs Doh before she continues talking. Here she goes. “Omma, appa, I have been calling you two that way since I started to learn talking. Mommy and daddy asked me to do that. I was always happy as a kid to have mommy, daddy, omma and appa growing up. But we lost a hold of you guys soon after we moved out.” She starts sharing what she knows about their history. Mrs Doh is surprised to hear that. So is everyone because it only means one thing. “You remember?” She asks Jasmine. Seeing how she nods, they are surprised for the second time. Here is the answer. Dr Choi gave them two options earlier. It seems like the answer is the first one. She now remembers. Her hidden memories have returned to her. No words can describe how grateful they are especially her grandparents. “Honestly I am not sure if I remember everything or it is just a part of the hidden memories. What I know, I am very grateful for this moment. At least, I am no longer clueless. I have got a hold of myself. I feel like I am back normal again. I missed myself.” She says holding her head as she suddenly feels a little dizzy. Halmeoni rushes towards her. “Don’t push yourself. Dr Choi said that you need to rest.” She says to her. Jasmine nods as she gives them a small smile so they will be less worried. “Don’t worry halmeoni. I am fine. And guess what? I think I know what is inside there.” She says holding halmeoni’s hand before pointing at the big locked white wooden chest kept well under her desk since 14 years ago. They never tried to open it after the last time they did and failed. Jasmine decided to let the time decides. She was exhausted trying to figure it out. “But how to open it when none of us know the lock combination numbers.” She says looking at the spirited precious granddaughter. Jasmine smiles. “I do!” She announces without any warning. “Wait a minute! You remember the combination?” Harabeoji asks her. She nods smiling widely. “It is actually a combination of our houses’ numbers and the floor we shared where we used to live. The reason why it is set that way is everything inside there are all related to Doh family. I always wonder why there is no picture of us together anywhere else in this house or in the family house. It is not that there is none but mommy and daddy kept everything that is related to all of you inside that chest because they didn’t want me to lose any of the precious memories of us together.” She starts explaining. Everyone seems to be listening to her very attentively. For Mr Doh and his wife, they are both touched by how Jasmine’s parents valued their relationships. They were indeed wonderful people.

 

Jasmine then continues sharing more. “Mommy and daddy let me know the lock few weeks before they left. They didn’t write it anywhere else for records. They only let me know it and asked me to memorize it. They didn’t even allow me to write it down somewhere. They wanted to make sure that everything is kept well. They didn’t want any possibilities that the precious memories would be invaded. Now that I am thinking about it, they wanted to protect all the information about you guys this way. They never thought that I could be an amnesiac after what happened. If only I remember the lock, I would have found you long ago.” She says looking at them as she tries to stand up on her own but it is still hard for her as she is still a little weak. “Where are you going?” Seungsoo who has been very quiet asks her. “I want to open the chest.” She lets him know. “No, stay on the bed. Let us carry the chest to you.” He says signaling Kyungsoo to follow him. She nods. She doesn’t refuse. She knows that her condition right now doesn’t allow her to move energetically. She needs time to gain the energy and strength on her two feet. She waits while looking at both Kyungsoo and Seungsoo carrying the heavy chest. They put it carefully in front of her. She touches it. They all approach her sitting not far from her. They anticipate seeing what is inside there. “Why are you two standing over there?” She asks pointing at the two siblings standing next to one another at the end of her bed despite having available spots next to her. They don’t answer. “Come sit on the bed. Whatever I have in here, it is related to both of you too. I advise you to sit comfortably because this will bring you to the memoryland. I believe you can already guess some stuffs in here that I will be taking out one by one from this chest.” She says to them. Kyungsoo then takes a seat next to Jasmine on the queen size bed with Seungsoo sitting in front of him. “Are you ready?” Jasmine asks them. They all nod nervously. “Your house’s number, the floor we used to live on and our house’s number, tada..!!” She says as she carefully keys in ‘1052’ on the lock and it miraculously opens. Everyone is speechless how she just proved to them that she really remembers. “How did you actually find out?” Harabeoji asks her. “I got flashes of memories before I passed out earlier and this is one of them. I got a little secret to tell. Actually even without opening the chest, I already knew what inside here. Do you want to know why? It is because I was the one who put and organized every single thing in this chest.” She starts sharing more behind stories of what happened. “Really?” Kyungsoo asks her. She slowly nods as she looks at him. “Mommy and daddy just gave me what I needed to put in. They gave me the responsibility as they knew that I would be the one who’s going to open it again.” She continues as she opens the cover of the chest. And they can see how many things are neatly organized in it. They can see some familiar stuff. They just smile bitterly as they remember the stories behind these stuffs. They are surprised how everything still looks fine. Her parents must have put a lot of effort to keep everything nice and clean. They are speechless.

 

Jasmine touches a few albums as she continues to share the story with everyone. “We have albums of our pictures together. We have a lot of it in here as we always took pictures to keep it as our recorded memories. Oh, Kyungsoo oppa, I guess I need to take back the first kiss I claimed I did with you during the commercial because now that I remember, it was not the case. And I am pretty sure, you knew it yourself but you might forget as it was ages ago. My first kiss was long stolen. To be more accurate, it was 18 years ago. Do you want to know something funny? Mommy and daddy always reminded me that my first kiss happened when I was three by an oppa named Doh Kyungsoo. And that is you!” She says giggling as she looks at the blushed Kyungsoo. He smiles shyly as he nods. He admits it right away. “Yes, I remember. And yes, I did it. I asked for your parents’ permission to kiss you. That was my very first kiss too. I was eight at that time. Our very first kiss was done in front of everyone.” He adds more information on the event as he reminisces what happened. She nods as that was how her parents told her. “Yes, mommy and daddy told me that this young boy was very brave, trustworthy and gentleman. That was why they allowed you to do so. I have always been so curious as a kid because I only remembered you vividly. It is maybe because I was still very young. Now that I know it is you, I agreed with them.” She responds to him. “I think we also have pictures of you two kissing in one of the albums. I remember someone took a picture of it. You two better check it later.” Seungsoo adds. Kyungsoo is looking at Jasmine who also has her eyes on him. They chuckle. “We can do that later if you want to. Okay, that topic is covered. Let’s move on.” She says as she grabs the next item in the chest. “Seungsoo oppa, do you remember these?” She asks lifting a white hair band and a cute hair brush. Seungsoo opens his eyes wide. He nods as he laughs. “You gave these to me on the day I left. You told me that wherever I went, I had to always remember that I had an older brother who wanted his sister to have pretty hair at all times. I hope I don’t disappoint you. Hehe.” She says passing the two stuffs to him. He is touched to see how nice they still look. “You kept it in a well condition. Thank you so much little sister! And no! You never disappoint me. You look after your hair very well. Good job!” He says patting her head. She smiles looking at him. Next she looks at Mr Doh. She then grabs something from the chest before showing it to him. “Appa, does this remind you of something?” She asks. He nods as happy tears gather in his eyes. “You gave me my very first art tools. Daddy said I was really happy to receive it back then that I started drawing on the white empty walls. I guess I was practicing my artistic gene. Hehe. To make sure I stopped drawing on innocent walls, he decided to buy me my personal canvas. I started drawing properly using the tools you gifted me with the help of mommy and daddy. As I owned my personal art tools, I could join them to create my own piece of art. Thanks to you, appa. I had so many wonderful memories with mommy and daddy competing with one another in creating our best drawings. I won most of the time but I knew why. They just let me win so I didn’t get discouraged. Though I knew it, I was still very happy.” She says passing the tools to him to touch. His tears fall as the memory of him giving it to her on their last meeting comes to surface. It was also the final time he got to meet with her parents. That was their final physical memory.

 

“Daddy treasured you a lot. He always told me how great your art was and how precious you are as a human being. And I agreed with him. The tools remind me of you and daddy. You two are both loving father figures in my life. Oh, you also gave me this framed dried Jasmine flowers both you and daddy worked hard to create for me to keep. You personally chose this flower because you knew that it was my favorite one.” Jasmine continues as she shows them the frame. Mrs Doh takes it from her. She remembers how the two fathers sketched the idea. She and Hannah (Jasmine’s mother) were there when it was made. She smiles as she remembers that valuable memory. “Omma, do you remember this hair curler?” Jasmine asks taking out the hair curler. Mrs Doh is surprised to see it there. She thought it was long gone. It was her most favorite one. “Mommy wanted to give it back to you the day we left but you insisted for her to keep it and give it back to you the next time you meet each other. But it never happened. Mommy said she was sorry for not being able to do that. She asked me to return it back to you on her behalf if I ever see you in this life. Or if not, she wanted me to keep it somewhere special. Omma, halmeoni, harabeoji, do you realize how there is an empty slot at the counter of the salon where we can put things? Mommy told me to put this hair curler on display hoping that one day, when omma happens to come to visit, she will notice it. The empty slot has its hair curler now. But I need omma’s permission to do so. I want to display it over there as this is the priceless token of mommy’s and omma’s endless friendship. You two are the lovely mother figures in my life.” She says looking at Mrs Doh. “You have my permission princess. Let this token be the proof of my friendship with your beautiful hearted mommy.” Mrs Doh says to Jasmine wiping away her fallen tears. “Thanks omma!” She replies. Mrs Doh nods as she holds her hand. “Okay, next is your turn.” Jasmine says poking Kyungsoo’s arm with her finger. He has been waiting for it. He nods looking eager to know if she still keeps ‘it’ or not. “This bracelet was from you. You gathered all your pocket money to personally purchase this one for me. When you gave me this bracelet that I am wearing right now, I got this familiar feeling but I don’t know why. It feels almost like déjà vu. Now that I remember, it actually reminds me of the very first bracelet you gifted me the day I left. To be frank, I lost it once at the playground of the apartment where we lived after we moved. But thankfully mommy, daddy and I managed to find it and since then I decided to keep it in this box because I didn’t want to lose it again. But I wore it every single day since the day you wore it for me until the day I lost it before I reunited with it again soon after that.” She says passing the box where a cute tiny bracelet is to Kyungsoo. He looks at her with tears filling his eyes. This is what he wanted to know about. She still has it with her. He remembers how hard it was to collect that amount of money to buy the bracelet of his choice. And it was all worth it. He holds the bracelet tight. It was like a love token or a secret love confession he did at the age of eight.

 

Jasmine continues to share more soon after she drinks some warm honey water prepared for her by the side table. “Thanks halmeoni for this.” She says putting the cup back next to her. “Maybe you guys are curious as of why mommy and daddy never looked for you or contacted you months after we moved. It was not that they never did but they couldn’t. I believe you guys kept in touch even we lived apart but few months after we left, they got robbed. All their precious belongings like phones and few other documents in daddy’s office bag got taken away from him. Your contact numbers were in the phones and written in his notebook as a backup which happened to be in that bag were all gone in just a few seconds. He didn’t want to let go of the bag but the bad guys threatened to hurt me and mommy if he refused. He had no choice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter