Beautiful Heart.. (Part 1)

My Unexpected Fated Route To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“No halmeoni, I want that one. I am hungry! I want to eat donkatsu (breaded cutlet)! I don’t care!” A voice of a young boy can be heard somewhere in the market. People start to gather around the scene. There is an old grandmother beside the young boy who is throwing tantrum in the wet market. He is lying sitting on the floor. “But we won’t have enough money to buy the vegetable. I promise I will buy you later.” The poor grandmother is persuading the young boy hoping that he would understand. But of course he is just too young to understand. He keeps on screaming wanting to eat donkatsu that the vendors start to feel uncomfortable with the situation. They are asking the old grandma to leave with her grandson so they won’t disturb the other customers. Jasmine who just arrived at the scene looking at the poor people. She can see how people are staring at them feeling annoyed with the scene. She doesn’t hesitate to approach them. She kneels in front of the young boy. “What is your name little boy?” She asks him grabbing his attention. “I am YongHoon.” He answers though he feels weird to see a foreigner who speaks Korean in front of him. He forgets for a while that he is angry at that time. “How old are you?” She asks again to make sure he feels comfortable to speak to her. “I am six.” He still answers. “Aigoo. You’re such a cute kid.” She stands up as she pats his head. “Halmeoni, I am Jasmine. Can you help me with something?” She asks looking at the confused grandmother. “We are poor people. We don’t have anything to offer, young lady.” She says being honest. Jasmine shakes her head. “No, I don’t want money. I just need someone to accompany me to eat.” She explains to her. The grandmother starts to get what she is trying to do. She looks at her with her teary eyes. Jasmine takes it as a yes. “YongHoon aa, shall we go and eat some donkatsu?” She asks bending down looking at the little boy. He doesn’t answer right away. He turns to look at his grandmother asking for permission as he stands up. She nods. He jumps up and down a few times feeling so excited. “Let me carry this one for you.” Jasmine says grabbing a plastic bag of something from the grandmother. “YongHoon, please hold halmeoni and lead the way to the donkatsu place.” She says looking at the two people in front of her. Other people are whispering with each other. Maybe they just don’t understand what is happening. Jasmine decides to ignore that. “Sajangnim, can I put my trolley here?” She asks the owner as she is standing by the entrance. “Yeah, just put it at the side. It is safe here.” He replies smiling at her. “Halmeoni, YongHoon aa, let’s sit there by the corner.” She says holding the grandmother’s hand with YongHoon in front of them. They leave their shoes by the entrance. Here in this restaurant, they sit on the floor comfortably.

 

 

“Here is our menu.” One of the waiters comes to serve them. “YongHoon, just choose whatever you want, it is on me. Don’t worry about the price.” Jasmine says to YongHoon who looks so excited studying the menu. On the other hand, his grandmother looks uncomfortable sitting next to Jasmine. She looks worried. “I will call you when we are ready to place our order.” She lets the waiter know so he can leave to do his other jobs while they make their decisions. “Okay.” He replies as he goes back to wipe the utensils at the next table. “Halmeoni, do you eat donkatsu?” She asks her. Her shaking her head is not something surprising for Jasmine. “They also have some Korean cuisine here. What do you like to eat? There is bibimbap (mixed rice), naengmyeon (cold noodles), kimchi jjigae (kimchi stew), doenjang jjigae (bean paste stew), kimchi beokkeumbap (kimchi fried rice), …” She keeps reading the menu out for her but still she looks hesitate to make her choice. Jasmine knows that she needs to make her comfortable first. “Halmeoni, you don’t have to be scared of me. I don’t have any ill intention to you. I just want to help. So please treat me comfortably like your granddaughter. My grandparents are in Jeju and another pair is in America. I don’t get to see them that often. So seeing you, it makes me feel like I am with them again.” She says being honest. Only then the grandmother looks a little loose. She carefully takes a look at Jasmine who is smiling at her. “You are so beautiful not only outside but definitely inside too. I can’t thank you enough for saving us from the embarrassing moment earlier.” She starts to talk to Jasmine. She can feel the sincere warmth from this young lady sitting next to her. “Now halmeoni, are you ready to choose what you want to eat?” She asks her as she starts to open up to her. “Is there any porridge in the menu?” She asks her. “Let me check for a while.” She says as she looks for another page of the menu. “Yes, they have some. They have chicken, beef, abalone, vegetable and egg porridge. Which one do you prefer?” She waits for the answer. “Please get me the cheapest one.” She utters that word. “Are you okay eating seafood, halmeoni?” She asks her. She nods. “Okay, I’ll get you the abalone porridge.” She says to her. “How much is it?” She asks looking so worried. “Don’t worry about the price. I will order that one for you. Do you want something else halmeoni?” She asks her again. She shakes her head. “YongHoon, are you ready to order?” She asks the little boy who is waiting as he smiles looking at the menu. He nods. Jasmine calls the waiter and she successfully places their order.

 

 

 

Seeing how YongHoon is happy eating his special cheese donkatsu set, Jasmine can’t stop smiling. Grandma Im, she is eating her abalone porridge silently. “YongHoon, you can also eat the Bulgogi (beef dish) and this Gyeran Jjim (Steamed egg).” She lets him know. She purposely orders extra side dishes for the little boy and his grandmother. Jasmine is quietly eating her Naengmyeon (cold noodle). “Halmeoni, are you okay? Is the food okay?” She asks the quiet Grandma Im who seems to be thinking about something else. Suddenly her phone rings. She takes out a very poor conditioned old phone. She immediately answers it. “Hello. Yeah, are you two home? We are still at the market. I know. But YongHoon was hungry so we are now eating. No, I don’t have money for that. We met this beautiful girl who is willingly treating us to a delicious food. We’ll be right back after this. Yeah, wait for us there.” Jasmine can hear the conversation a bit. “Halmeoni, ask them to come here if they are not busy.” Jasmine manages to share her suggestion. “But I..” She hesitates. Jasmine asks if she can talk to them directly. The phone is handed to her with Grandma Im’s hands shaking. “Yes, are you busy right now? No? That’s cool. Is it possible if you come here right now? There is this place called ‘Yummy Restaurant’ in the wet market not that far from the main entrance to the right. We are here. Yeah, don’t worry they are fine with me. Okay, no, you don’t have to rush. Take your time. Yeah, no problem. Oh, you’re with you sister. Yes, of course she can join too. Whoever you are with right now, just bring them here. Oh okay, sure. We will be here waiting for you two. No, don’t worry about it. Okay, see you.” The call ends there. “Here you go, halmeoni. The girls are coming. So you have another two granddaughters. They are YongHoon’s older sisters?” She asks her giving back her phone. She nods. “Yeah. I am really sorry to bother you with my grandchildren. You don’t have to.” She says to her. Jasmine smiles at her. “No, halmeoni. Don’t worry. I am doing great. I don’t feel this is difficult at all. Please stay calm. You are not bothering me. You are making me happy. So please don’t feel guilty. We are meant to meet each other today.” She convinces her.

 

 

“Noona, can I have some patbingsu (red bean shaved ice)?” Suddenly YongHoon asks. “YongHoon aa..” Grandma Im glares at him. “It is okay, halmeoni. Yes, when I am around, you can eat whatever you want. But promise me, whenever you feel like eating something, ask for it nicely to halmeoni or to your noona. And if they can’t give it to you right away, please understand that there is something more important to do. It doesn’t mean that they don’t love you. Can you promise me that you will be that sweet little nice boy who listens to his halmeoni and noonadeul?” Jasmine asks him. He quickly nods. “I am really sorry halmeoni for what happened earlier. I won’t do it again.” He apologizes without being asked. He goes to hug his grandmother. And Grandma Im is so surprised to hear that. She holds him tight. She feels so touched that she has tears in her eyes. She knows because of the difficulty they have in their life, sometimes they are too harsh on YongHoon. That is why he never understands because they never tried to explain it to him. They never thought that it was important to let him know the real situation they are in as he is still very young. But it is wrong. Kids have this superpower that they own and they can’t be belittled. They can understand as long as the adults use the right way to make them do. “Should I call the waiter and you will let him know which bingsu you want?” Jasmine asks YongHoon. He nods. A few minutes later, the patbingsu is served and he is enjoying it to the fullest. He looks so excited though it gives him brain freeze. “Halmeoni, do you want some?” He asks his grandmother. She shakes her head. “I can’t eat cold thing like that.” She says patting his head. “Noona, do you want a bite?” He asks Jasmine. “Can I have some?” She asks him. He nods. “Of course! Here you go.” He says feeding her once waiting for her response. “Isn’t it delicious?” He asks for her opinion. She nods. “It is. No wonder you like it. Now enjoy your bingsu. Eat slowly. We are not in a rush.” She says to him. “Thank you Jasmine. This is the first time I ever see this side of him. I can’t believe someone as young as you is this expert in handling kids. You met him for the very first time today and you can make him this behaved right away. I can already feel the difference. ” She says to her looking at the kind girl.

 

 

“Experience is the best teacher. I learnt from that.” Jasmine carefully says to Grandma Im. She looks at her in disbelief as she tries to understand the phrase in the correct way. She frowns a bit. And Jasmine is just smiling looking at her. “Halmeoni?” A young lady’s voice can be heard by the entrance. She turns to look for the owner of the soft voice. There are two girls approaching them, they look worried. “There you are. This is Jasmine. She is the one who saved us from the unwanted incident earlier.” Grandma Im explains to her two granddaughters. They both bow at her politely. “Thank you so much unnie. We are so grateful that our grandmother and our little brother have met you here. We should go now, halmeoni. We shouldn’t bother Jasmine unnie any longer. YongHoon, let’s go.” One of the girls tries to stop YongHoon from finishing his bingsu. “Are you two busy?” Jasmine finally gets to say something. They both shake their head. She then turns to look at Grandma Im. She also shakes her head as she smiles. “Now, please have a seat, pretty girls.” She says to the two younger girls in their simple blue and green tshirt and their pants, their hairs are tied neatly. They carefully sit in front of Jasmine and their grandmother, next to YongHoon. “Have you eaten?” She asks them. They take a look at each other before shaking their heads slowly. “This is the menu. Just comfortably choose whatever you two want to eat. It is all on me. Don’t worry about the price, it is your day.” She explains. The two girls look so surprised but they smile after that. “Halmeoni, do you want some hot coffee or tea?” She asks her. “Sure, hot b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter