NIGHT OF SMILES, HEARTACHES, AND TEARS

Daydreams and Reality
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: HEY CHINGUS! HOW ARE YOU ALL?! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

POSTING THE LONG OVERDUE UPDATE . :))

PEACE YOW~!

 

CHAPTER 42

 

 

 

 

“In other news, The Ministry of Defense has issued a statement about the rumor that has been circulating online for a couple of months now regarding a North Korean detractor that was chased all the way to the Bridge of No Return at Panmunjom. In a press conference arranged by the Ministry this afternoon, Minister Park Won admitted that it is true, the detractor known as Mister Noh is aged between 26 to 28 years of age and probably had escaped because of the extreme harsh life of their nation. The border patrol heard some gun shots being fired near the bridge that they immediately reported it to the command center. He was found lying by the Joint forces of U.S. Army and the South Korean Army who responded on the shooting scene few meters away from the border with a gunshot wound at his back. He was quickly retrieved by the team and basic First Aid was administered before bringing him to the nearest medical facility. Here is a clip from the Press conference earlier…”

 

 

“The North Korean detractor’s life has been out of danger since the operation two months ago. The Doctors have taken the bullet out from his back that luckily did not do any damage on his spine. He has been recuperating and undergoing some therapies, the government also finished the mandatory debriefing and questioning on him. We will inform you all of any updates…”

 

 

 

I pushed the Power button of the remote turning off the TV then placed it on the bedside table. As always, everything can be concealed by them with just one snap of a finger. The United States government protecting their image by erasing everything that transpired over that period when Amber was captured and tortured by North Korea.

 

That’s not all. They even tried to make me sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) for the sake of keeping everything a secret. Everything I know… everything I saw that night and what I heard, what we talked about inside that meeting room.

 

Of course I didn’t sign right away. I am the CEO of one of the most powerful conglomerates in South Korea, if I sign right away its like showing them they can control me that easily. No. I will have the best card here. I need to review what I will sign that’s why I had the document be checked by a lawyer before I put my precious signature in it. Instead of having the company lawyer do the task, I asked the services of Attorney Kim Taeyeon. The lawyer who helped us with Hae In oppa’s case back then.

 

She reviewed the document and told me I should also make a demand, like a bargaining agreement with the US officials handling it. Saying I should lay out some demands for fairness that’s why I have to choose and think wisely.

 

Remembering how they informed me one night in the hospital after the incident that I cannot transfer Amber nor decide for her made my blood boil. I was asking them permission to transfer Amber back to Seoul in a more complete and state of the art medical facility where she will be taken cared of. But they declined my request saying I am not related legally to Lt. Liu nor blood related. And even if we are engaged or in case, legally married in any countries where same marriage is allowed… I still don’t have any right.

 

Why?

 

Because we are in South Korea.

 

Same- marriage no matter how legal and binding it is in other countries who allows it…

 

Isn’t acknowledge in this country.

 

So in cases wherein if a patient is at the operating table fighting for his or her life and a decision by a family member is needed… his or her same partner isn’t allowed to make a decision for him or her because in South Korean laws they are not considered married. Even if they have been married for 5, 10, 15 or 20 years… it won’t change anything. Sad but true. The fight for equal rights is still ongoing and probably will go on… unless the lawmakers change their minds and amend it.

 

I took it as a sign that’s why I had a meeting with them, the staff from the US Defense Department and the General who handles the Delta Force. Bringing with me Atty. Kim Taeyeon who I asked to make amends on the NDA they want me to sign adding my demands.

 

At first they weren’t willing to give in to my demands saying Lt. Liu’s hospitalization will be shouldered by the government under her military health benefit saying proper care is being administered. Proper care?

 

She was in a small room, a cramp bed, even the ICU she has to share with another patient. Is that what they call military health benefit? She almost lost her life serving them! Three days in that military hospital and my blood was already boiling in anger especially when the Doctor asked me to sign a Consent Form for the medicine just to withdraw it midway while I was signing because they found out I am not “FAMILY”. I told them I am the girlfriend and I have the right to do so!   

 

 

They acknowledge the document that Amber filed before naming me as her beneficiary in case of death on the battle field. I even submitted complete documents and evidences to prove that I am Amber’s fiancee’ but they still don’t want to allow me take her to another hospital.

 

That made me decide to use my “Dirty Card”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Flashback

 

 

“I will only sign that NDA if your side will agree to my counter demand.” I said while eyeing the document in front of me.

 

“Miss Jung, this is not child’s play!--”

 

“Ehem…” Attorney Kim interrupted smirking at the US Embassy Staff. “Please do not raise your voice while talking to my client Mister… uhhh…” she looked over the brown haired man across us then smiled “Mister Cortez. You are talking to the Chairwoman and CEO of DaeJeong Corporation not on some random peasant. Have some respect because we came here respecting your side too.” I rested my hand on Attorney Kim’s shoulder halting her from saying more. I admire her braveness and eagerness on protecting me.

 

Utterly embarrassed with Attorney Kim’s reminder and probably astonished that my lawyer can understand perfectly well what he is saying in English, he nodded and apologized. “Forgive me Miss Jung…”

 

My lips curved into a small smile assuring him its fine. “Lt. Liu’s life is not child’s play too Mister Cortez. All I want is for her to receive the best medical care possible and we have that in Seoul.”

 

“What I am trying to say Miss Jung is that this is a very serious matter. Its not that we don’t trust you but this is needed.”

 

“I know, I do business that’s why I understand. But please also understand my desire to give my partner the proper care she deserves.”

 

“But we also have that here in our hospital.”

 

“A military hospital that doesn’t have complete facilities and poor service. Is that what you are saying, Mister Cortez? If this is the military benefit your government is giving Lt. Liu after serving the military for years then she doesn’t deserve this. Allow me to take her back to Seoul where I can put her in the best medical facility where she can receive the best medical attention. We can take care of her to heal properly.”

 

The man whom they call as General Stevenson spared me a glance, studying my face with curiosity. I stared back at him full of determination, Atty. Taeyeon sliding the open folder with my demand in front of him. “Agree to this and you will see me stamping my Dojang in your NDA.”

 

The meeting room became silent, both men looking at me. Their faces obviously showing that their minds are working and asking who is Krystal Jung to make this kind of demands.

 

“And if we don’t?” The General asked, his eyebrows furrowed. Studying my expression with his piercing eyes. The commanding aura overflowing from him that he uses to intimidate people. Tough luck Sir, I’m used to that kind of s.

 

“Then all your cover ups will be put to waste, the world will know what happened to Lt. Amber Liu and why she was in North Korea… and now in a hospital, comatose, badly beaten by North Korean soldiers….” BINGO. “Believe me Sirs… I can.”

 

“You’re just a spoiled brat with money.”

 

“I AM a woman with power.” I said in my confident voice meeting their eyes. I don’t know how I can be this brave but if its for Amber’s sake I will. “And no one can stop me from using that power for the sake of protecting those people I love.”

 

“You are quite stubborn, Miss Jung.”

 

“I am very stubborn, General Stevenson. Even my deceased parents can’t handle me.”

 

The General has a grim look on his face, his fist clenching. I cleared my throat and gave him a smirk continuing. “You want me to keep quiet about everything, right? Then agree to my demands and I will keep quiet even though Lt. Liu needs justice in everything she went through. I demand an internal investigation, I don’t know how you guys will do it but give her justice by catching the main person who cause all the trouble. Approve the hospital transfer as soon as possible because I will not sit around in one corner seeing how Amber isn’t getting the proper treatment and care she deserves.  Sign this documents and I will sign the NDA. Nothing will come out in the media and I will even help your agency to mute what has to be muted. I stay true to my words.”

 

All this staring he is doing to me tires me out but I can’t let him make me lose my cool. They are not the ones who are in control here.

 

“You do know that wherever hospital you take her here in South Korea, no one will acknowledge you as Lt. Liu’s relative, even fiancee’ or wife. Isn’t it the same?” that statement actually went straight to my heart. Ouch. He really has to rub it in my face?

 

I know that. I already know that fact ever since we started this relationship. Something I didn’t know I have to deal with much sooner than I expected.

 

“I know that, General Stevenson. That’s something for me to deal with.”

 

“You will be held responsible for Lt. Amber Liu’s life. If something happens to her while under your care our agency won’t be responsible for it but you Miss Jung. Even the expenses.”

 

“Nothing bad will happen to her and she will be well again. If you are worrying about the medical expenses then don’t… because I will shoulder the rest besides the medical benefit she receives from the military. Money is not a problem.”

 

He was quite taken aback but nodded. I know I sounded arrogant there but I have to show him I have the capacity to spend. “Then that’s good. I don’t know how or where the two of you met, all I can say is Lt. Liu surely got lucky she met someone like you Miss Jung. I hope she wakes up immediately and heal fast. She is one of the best in our force, the finest Delta Force operator we have.” a small smile finally broke on General Stevenson’s lips bringing a shy smile on mine. “I hope everyone is like you. Loyal and will do everything for your soldier.”

 

“Thank you General… I am much luckier to meet her. I’m very proud of her.”

 

“I’m very sorry this happened before the end of her service.” I’m very sorry too… If only… *sigh*.

 

The room became silent for a while. General Stevenson took the folder in front of him scanning my counter demand. I can see the disappointment of losing one of his best soldiers from the way he shook his head. Amber’s friend, Lt. Brown, made a visit yesterday in the hospital checking her condition. I found out from him that he was one of the operators Amber saved the night she was captured in North Korea. He said they were already in the helicopter when the aircraft swayed because of the wind causing Amber to be thrown out and drop rolling on the ground. He said he tried to convince the Pilot to go back and retrieve Amber but all his pleading fell on deaf ears. Amber was left in the enemy’s territory saving two lives and endangering hers.

 

“General Stevenson…” I bit my lips after calling him. He looked up from the documents his gaze landing on me.

 

“Yes, Miss Jung?”

 

“Uhh… I just want to know if… when Amber wakes up and gets back to health… her honorable discharge will take effect, right?”

 

He let out a comforting smile nodding as response. I let out a sigh of relief finally freeing the worry I have inside. “Thank you…”

 

In the end, the NDA was amended and both of us left that meeting room with an agreement that the signed NDA and everything about the “failed mission” will be kept as a secret. Our meeting that day didn’t happen and my signed counter demand with the seal of approval from the US government is valid and executable immediately.

 

With that, after a few days and making sure Amber is already out of danger after her stint in the ICU, she was transported to Yong-ganham Medical Center and was given proper medical attention plus a private suite that is being guarded 24/7. One of the shareholders of the hospital, Doctor Hwang Miyoung is a very good friend of Jessica and Yoona unnie. I informed her of Amber’s situation and asked her to keep everything confidential as it should be. She said I shouldn’t worry and everything will be handled by her nothing will come out.

 

 

End of Flashback

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two months and Amber is still in a coma. Her face is now free of bruises and her cuts already healing, her bones are healing too. Gosh… broken ribs that luckily didn’t puncture her lungs, her arms, her thighs.. full of purplish bruises that Doctor Hwang said was possibly caused by severe beatings. She was amazed that Amber managed to stay alive after a week of torture and even alive after being hit at her head. She said it can be that Amber is not human or Divine Intervention happened, something that a few medical practitioners like her rarely believes or admits.

 

Sighing, I willed myself to stand up from the stool beside the hospital bed and leaned forward to the sleeping patient lying there. “Hey handsome… I’m bored.” I smiled to myself seeing the strands of hair covering Amber’s forehead. “I haven’t tell you this Soldier, but I really want you to have that kind of hairstyle like Won Bin had… that long hair then slick back.” I reached for the strands brushing it back with my fingers then started her head gently. “You’ll look great as always. Or that short fluffy hair that bounces back… just like your hair when we first met.” the only answer I got was the sound of her breathing through her oxygen mask. Okay I’ll take that as a Yes baby.

 

“You’ve been sleeping since that night I almost lost you…” The images of Amber falling face down on the ground, bloody, still lingers on my mind when I space out. The shoutings, the gunshots, the blood…

 

Like a nightmare I want to erase in my mind.

 

“You made it baby… you made it home. Now all you have to do is open your eyes and give me that grin. I miss seeing your warm smile…”

 

“Last week was supposed to be your last day in Delta Force. Your contract already ended and you were supposed to come back home to me… you told me back then when I made a visit that we will celebrate our Christmas and New Year together without the base calling you.”

 

“Its New Year Eve…”

 

“Will you celebrate it with me? Yah Soldier! Atleast open your eyes and kiss me when the clock strikes 12 later!” I giggled on my foolishness. If Amber hears me she will definitely laugh and say I’m such a mushy goo who only likes kissing her. Well… she’s always right. (^___^)

 

Kissing her cheeks, I lingered my lips a little just brushing my nose on her skin. I just want to feel her skin on my nose and inhale her because doing that secures me. The feeling of her warm hands I hold gently even if she is sleeping deeply. Gives me the assurance that Amber is really here… that I am holding her and she is alive although sleeping.

 

I lifted her oxygen mask a little and planted a kiss on the tip of her nose, scanning her beautiful face. Placing it back again too scared that Amber might not breathe properly hahaha… gosh I don’t want to be the cause of your demise Lt. Amber Liu!

 

Taking her hand that was resting on her side, I started massaging her hand gently so that it won’t be cold. Playing with her fingers pinching the tip one by one while talking to her even though I know she will not respond. Telling her about my day in the office and what deals were closed today that made me happy.

 

Everyday I do this without fail, watching the rise and fall of her chest. There were times I even count it hahaha… checking her nails too by cleaning it. Amber doesn’t like having long nails she always keep it short because she said its dangerous… with a wink in the end. Hahaha!! I don’t even know if I will think of erted thoughts that time or will think of how it is a real requirement in the military. I think both hehehe.

 

Being with her in this hospital suite is like escaping the real world out there, a rest for my tired body and mind. I don’t bring my work when I go back to her because it will be a distraction. I cannot give Amber the proper care if I bring documents and anything work related in the hospital. I want my full focus on her and nothing else.

 

My ever thoughtful bodyguard Kwangsoo brought my Cello days after Amber was transferred to the new hospital. Urging me to play in my spare time or when I am bored saying, “Lt. Liu will surely be happy if she wakes up hearing the music you play with your beloved Cello.” And I did everytime I feel like playing. Well more like every other day?

 

Before going to bed I always talk to her and makes sure she is comfortable. Just whispering words that I wish she hears. Repeating words I already said before and will never get tired of saying.

 

“Hey…”

 

“How are you?”

 

“Matthew said he misses you so much…”

 

“I miss you too.”

 

“So much.”

 

I reached for her forehead fixing the strands of hair covering her face. My fingers tracing her nose that made me smile. Bringing my lips near her ears, I smiled and whispered words I hope she hears.

 

“Amber Liu… I’ll be waiting for you.”

 

“... even if it takes a hundred years more I will.”

 

I planted a kiss on her forehead, down to the tip of her nose and lastly on her lips. Even though I know she will not respond… I hope she dreams of me and wake up.

 

 

 

For two months my life was Hospital - company - house - Hospital. I don’t want to sleep in my unit because I feel so lonely and alone, plus I can’t sleep a blink knowing that Amber is in the hospital and might wake up from her coma anytime. That’s why a separate bed was placed inside Amber’s suite where I sleep or take a nap separated by a divider for privacy. The suite is also equipped with a nice bathroom where I take a bath in the morning before going to work and at night before going to sleep. A small pantry and visitors’ area plus a nice view that I hope Amber will see once she wakes up.  

 

Doctor Hwang said Amber’s vitals are doing great. All she has to do now is wake up from her comatose state so that she can check her up thoroughly. Saying she has to make sure Amber is fine considering the injury she got from being hit at the back of her head. She told me there is a possibility that Amber’s sight might suffer or even her memory. She wants me to be ready of any possibilities because its better than keeping it. We will only know once Amber wakes up.

 

I’m not knowledgeable in the medical field that’s why I’m so thankful that Doctor Hwang takes her time explaining everything to me. Always updating me of Amber’s progress and what I should do to prevent bed sores because its a serious health risk for Amber considering she cannot move. When I am at work I make sure a Nurse is always on standby for her plus someone who can accompany her while I am away. Sometimes its Luna or Vic or Sungjae, Halmeoni too who told me everything will be alright and I shouldn’t worry because they are always here to help.  

 

My sisters already found out about Amber being confined in the hospital. It was around a month after when I told them about it over video call from Amber’s hospital suite and well… both of them were surprised and worried. Even Hae In oppa who found out about Amber’s situation from Jessica unnie who informed him right away after our video call. Everyone of them were asking me if Amber is alright and if I am alright.

 

I told them she’s fine and recuperating. They didn’t ask much about what happened they just want to know if Amber is okay. Their overwhelming support for us still brings tears of joy in my eyes and I’m very grateful for everything they have done helping me or just visiting Amber. Even Yuri unnie and Seohyun sent their well wishes, visiting Amber in the hospital along with Yoona unnie (who is pregnant but still forcing her way inside).

 

She asked me if I need Siwon oppa to handle company matters while I am taking care of Amber. I have to hide my bitter smirk when she asked me that question because I remembered Hwa Young asking me the same one. Looks like my poor sister is clueless about the disgusting secret of her loving husband. Tsk tsk tsk… I feel so guilty for not telling her about it.

 

Anyway, Hwa Young knows already that Amber is in the hospital. I have to tell her eventually so that she can arrange my schedule efficiently. I haven’t talk to her about her affair with my brother in-law but one thing is for sure… she is a great actress. Or probably she’s just good in hiding.

 

I have her under the watchful eye of Taehyung, one of the bodyguards and Kwangsoo’s minion. I asked him keep an eye on her but be discreet especially where she goes and who she meets.

 

Do I still trust her? I do. But not like before. I don’t know why but I feel like she is still hiding more that I need to know. I need to know where she stands… where her loyalty lies. I know she has been loyal with me but the sudden knowledge of her affair left me thinking twice.

 

Like, I may be okay with Siwon oppa and interacts with him but I don’t trust him enough to confide everything. Even if I always leave the company on his hands when I take a vacation back then or go on business trips, the thought of him wanting to get my position still lingers in my mind. I can’t help it, especially that the next heir after me is his son, my nephew Matthew. As Matthew’s representative Siwon oppa has a leverage.

 

What if he can’t wait and devises a plot to kick me out? What if he and Lee Byung Hun are teaming up to make me go down from the position my deceased Father handed to me before he died?

 

What if… what if he is using Hwa Young all this time?

 

The Board of Directors are still giving me a hard time. Still asking me when will I get married. Duh.

 

How can I get married when my Amber is still sleeping?!

 

They kept on pushing me to that kid, Daniel Kang. Saying that it will be a great match because both companies will benefit from each other. I waved them all off and said I don’t need to get married immediately plus he is much more younger than me. I don’t have plans of getting married and I want to focus in the company than getting a husband. If they only knew…

 

I smiled and brought Amber’s hand on my lips, closed my eyes and kissed her palm gently. God… please… bring her back to me… wake her up soon…

 

Promise… I will try to lessen my coffee drinking habits…

 

Even watching . I mean… not really watching it… just taking a… peek? Curiosity at its finest you know…

 

That sounded so bad. I’m so sorry my Lord…

 

I opened my eyes then had a sudden thought. Seeing Amber’s serene face and a courage that I don’t know where it came from entering my system. Hmmm…

 

N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter