NIGHT OF BRAVERY AND SORROW

Daydreams and Reality
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: HEY CHINGUS! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

 

UPDATE ;)

PEACE YOW!

 

 

CHAPTER 41

 

 

 

 

“Sajangnim….”

 

Amber…

 

“Are you okay baby?…”

 

Amber…

 

“Open your eyes baby… come on…”

 

Are you here?…

 

“Open your eyes….”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I slowly opened my eyes and was welcomed by worried faces all watching me close. Three pairs of eyes waiting for me to wake up and one of them is Hyo unnie who immediately helped me sit on the couch. “I… I’m sorry… w-what happened?” Ugh...my head...

 

“You fainted my goodness! Are you feeling well now Sajangnim?...” Hyo unnie asked and started asking various questions as she held my wrist feeling my pulse. She took my blood pressure again declaring after that its normal. All the words she said entered my left ear and exited on my right ear. I don’t even know what to say as response... am i feeling well? Am I okay?... 

 

My eyes went down to my hand and to Luna who was crouching in front of me who took my cold hands holding it. Her thumb caressing my knuckles that turned white. “The military guy and the guy who looks like who came from MIB already left Sajangnim.” The military guy...ahhh... the Commanding Officer... Amber’s Commanding Officer in Delta Force... and that liar from the US government...

 

How nice of them to personally visit me here in my office just to inform that Amber’s life has been in danger for 7 ing days in the hands of those communists!

 

“You mean the guy from the United States Defense Department Luna.” I turned to see Vic who was on my left side my back. “Vic…”

 

“I don’t know if I should ask you if you’re okay because I know you aren’t. Krys… hold on, okay? Everything will be fine. We will do everything to find out if Lt. Liu is okay.” Everything will be fine... everything will be fine if Amber Liu is here...

 

Amber is okay... she’s in her room back in the barracks reading maps...

 

She’s not in danger... she wasn’t captured... how can they even catch Amber?! She’s skilled. She knows what to do and one important thing she always remembers when in mission is to always be safe...

 

Because she promised me. She always stays true to her promises... Amber Liu doesn’t break any promises. When she said she will come back...

 

SHE WILL COME BACK.    

 

Nodding my head slowly, I stared at the glass wall showing the beautiful view of Han river at night that I was admiring earlier. My mind still in a state of shock and denial.

 

Its not true… Amber is safe.

 

She’s safe.

 

Probably trying to call me now because she knows I’m worrying.

 

Yeahh… “I need my phone…”

 

I was going to stand up when Luna held my hand that made me broke my staring outside. “Sajangnim…” she placed the smartphone on my palm squeezing my hand gently after. “You need to calm down Sajangnim…”

 

“I am calm… I am…” Yes… I’m calm… this is just a dream. This is just a dream… nothing happened to Amber…

 

Smiling at her, I turned my attention on the gadget pressing my thumb gently on the power button to scan my thumb print when I stopped and stare for a full minute. Just staring at my screen wallpaper... 

 

It was Amber. A candid black and white photo that I took of Amber back then while she was sitting on our bed reading a book. Her back resting on the wall, wearing her round specs and face so serious with brows furrowed flipping through the pages of a carpentry book. Her hair tousled due to her habit of touching it, her sharp jaw standing out proudly in the photo. I vividly remember that night, I went out of the bathroom after shower then this breathtaking scene unfolded in front of me that I have to get my phone in a hurry just to take her photo. In my eyes it was perfect…

 

Amber is perfect. Flaws and insecurities included.

 

“Soldier…”  

 

No… it can’t be. You are not in danger. You are safe.

 

Your Commanding Officer and that sour looking prick in a black suit was just lying to me. I know this… they are lying. They do this all the time… I’ve read about this…


”How can they say that Amber was captured in North Korea?… She said she will be back… she promised it to me…”

 

Taking a deep breath to halt the tears that is threatening to burst, I bit my lips and stood up from my seat walking to Amber’s favorite corner in my office where she always stand watching the view of the river. That corner… that corner where I will find her with an adorable smile while watching me work.

 

You are alive. You are safe. Not hurt, not being treated like an animal by those North Korean soldiers.

 

But what if…  

 

I turned around to face them three, their faces full of sympathy that broke the dam and made me a crying mess… my knees giving up as I slid on the floor kneeling. I don’t even know what to think anymore! Everything today is too much!

 

“Its not true. Its a lie!”

 

“Amber is not in North Korea!! They are lying!!”

 

“Sajangnim they said the US government is doing everything--”

 

“IF THEY ARE DOING EVERYTHING THEN AMBER WILL BE HERE RIGHT NOW AND NOT THERE AT NORTH KOREA!!!! DO YOU EVEN THINK THEIR GOVERNMENT IS REALLY HELPING!? NO! THEY ARE NOT! I’VE READ THIS KIND OF THINGS BEFORE!”

 

“Maybe we should trust what they said--”

 

“NO!!!! NEVER TRUST THEM! THEY CAN MAKE UP LIES AND TELL IT TO THE FAMILIES TO PACIFY THEM! BUT THE TRUTH IS SOMETHING SERIOUS ALREADY HAPPENED! LISTEN TO ME, LUNA I WANT YOU TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT AMBER’S LAST LOCATION-”

 

“But S-sajangnim….”

 

“DO IT NOW!!!”  

 

Its as if they are saying Amber won’t be coming back alive or she may come back alive but already in a vegetative state!!!

 

“Liars!!!”

 

Bunch of liars and snakes.

 

Why?… Why Amber?!

 

Why did they put her in that kind of mission!? They know its suicide!

 

I am a Korean national… everyone knows what happens when spies or detractors are captured by that country that once was part of us…

 

No one survives without experiencing Hell.

 

“I shouldn’t have answered that call...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

AMBER’S POV

 

 

 

 

Another day… another day of beating.

 

I don’t even know now how my body can take everything they do to me. All those punching and kicking… the constant lashing of the rod on my body…

 

Should I thank the Heavens today that they didn’t hang me?

 

This cold floor feels so good…

 

I’d rather lie here on the floor full of dirt than be hanging on the ceiling lifeless and neck broken. Like a soulless raggedy doll ready to be dump in the trash.

 

I carefully rolled to my side trying to bend my knees together in a fetus position. My eyes catching sight of brightness coming from the sole window of the dark room. A ray of light that brought a small smile on my bloodied lips.

 

Light… sunlight?

 

My Lord… are you going to take me now?

 

I told you I am not yet ready…

 

This is not the place I will breathe my last breath…

 

So no, I will not go with you today.

 

I closed my eyes taking deep breaths, cringing as the pain all over my body was immeasurable. My fingers numb because of the cold same as my toes that suffered a lot today. The dog face soldier took off my boots… splashed ice-cold water on my feet that made me shiver. He took it as a good sign and decided to fill a bucket with ice and water then soaked my feet for the whole day. Me sitting on a chair with thick rope tied around my body tightly so I wouldn’t slide down, shivering and gritting my teeth.

 

As if it wasn’t enough, the worst came.

 

I can still hear his manic laugh as I yell in pain and horror when he started to pull my toenail. Using some sort of pliers, I shouted in pain cursing him bloody murder when he slowly pulled my toenails torturing me to his heart’s content. Hell…

 

This is pure Hell.

 

“K-krystal… soon…” her face appeared in my mind giving me strength to carry on. You are the reason why I am still alive… I promised you I will be back… and I will fulfill that promise to you my Sajangnim…

 

If I have to cross a river just to reach you… I will.

 

The sound of the door creaking made me open my eyes, brightness flooding in. Sudden footsteps rushing inside and a pair of hands holding my shoulders in a grasp. I moaned in pain when the person grasp my shoulder with haste guiding me to sit. “Lt. Liu! Wake up!”

 

“Comrade… Noh… don’t yell at me… I can… hear you… *cough* *cough*…”

 

“Listen to me Lt.! Pull yourself up! You need to leave immediately!”

 

I answered him with a snicker. “Look at me… they broke me… how can I?”

 

“They are deciding your fate right this minute Lt. Liu! I heard them talking to my Father, they said you will be brought to the capitol tomorrow. They will parade you in front of the Supreme Leader! Do you know what it means?! No treaty or negotiations will be honored! You will be executed!”

 

My mind went blank when I heard that word.

 

Executed.

 

.

 

“.”

 

 

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Victoria’s POV

 

 

I can’t help but pity Krystal for all the things happening now. The feeling of guilt nagging me because of my revelation earlier about her assistant Hwa Young. I didn’t know something big like this will happen besides what I revealed.

 

Krystal turned into a crying mess when she woke up, still in-denial about the devastating news that those two Americans told her about Lt. Amber Liu being captured by North Korea. Imagine the horror of finding out that the very notorious country for torturing their own kind has been holding Lt. Liu as their prisoner for a total of 7 days now!?

 

A full week!

 

The U.S. Department of Defense waited until the 7th day to tell Krystal about her partner’s situation! A very deadly situation that no one knows how to escape. Very poor action on their part!

 

All we can do is console her while she was crying her heart out, sobbing in my arms the moment Luna and I joined her on the floor when her knees gave up. Doctor Kim told us we should take Krystal home so that she can rest properly, telling us to bring the CEO downstairs at the Basement Parking and she will follow in a convoy. Luna immediately called Kwangsoo to ready the vehicle as soon as possible and told him to help us with our Boss.

 

I’m just glad employees already went home earlier. I don’t want anyone to see how brokenhearted Krystal is let alone a news of her breaking down circulate. Really dangerous considering the fact that her detractors are still finding any loopholes in her effective leadership. A small flame can be twisted into a full scale forest fire.

 

In front of the business community, the company shareholders, and employees of DaeJeong Corporation… Chairwoman and CEO Krystal Jung is a very strong woman who holds power that men from all sides of the business sectors all over Asia desires to have. She has money and power, respect and envy. That is how I view her back then.

 

Sajangnim. A title that is only given and use for the male Alpha of a corporation.  

 

But when I started working for Krystal, I came to know the other side of her. She is still after all, a regular woman like us who likes music and loves to laugh over silly things. She was the sister I never had because I am an only child. An introvert who enjoys the company of her guardian puppy Jackjack and uncomfortable around people she doesn’t know. Loyal, very loyal person and responsible. Loving Aunt to her nephew and sister to her siblings she will do everything for family. She doesn’t have group of friends, a revelation I found weird before because I have this image of her in my mind that rich people tends to have group of friends who like leeches until the treasure chest runs dry.

 

Krystal Jung is a person who had encountered things in life that everyone does. She has the right to feel like ... hurt, scared, confused. The right to love a person who loves her back with the same intensity she gives no matter the gender is because for her, “Mutual feelings are far more important than gender. I don’t care if Amber is not a man; because I value more what is inside her heart than how big a man’s bulge is on his crotch.”

 

 

 

 

 

The ride back to her residence was very gloomy and partially silent. The occasional sound of Krystal sniffing because of too much crying was all we can hear. We dare not say anything that may trigger her emotions because it will not be good for her.

 

I sat in the front seat collecting my thoughts thinking of what to do first. Luna holds Krystal at the back seat the latter’s head that was resting on her lap trying to give comfort. Earlier, Kwangsoo asked me in a whisper what was happening. I told him everything that transpired back in the office… that Lt. Liu is currently being held as a prisoner by the neighboring country and until now the U.S. Government haven’t done anything to save her. He turned pale after hearing it, his eyes getting misty. He sighed and shook his head looking so upset. I’ve known from Kwangsoo himself when we have occasional chats while smoking at the Basement that he has high level of respect for Lt. Liu and regards the soldier as a very close friend. That the soldier has a kind heart and brave soul, very protective with the Sajangnim that even the recruitment of the bodyguards passed through Lt. Liu just to make sure our Boss will be safe while she is away.

 

She even upgraded all the Security features of their Hannam Hill unit that only Kwangsoo knows how to operate. I asked Kwangsoo why only him, why wasn’t Hwa Young included since the Assistant has been a constant and trusted companion of the Sajangnim? He just answered me with a shrug obviously keeping a secret.

 

Should I call her sisters? Tell them about what happened? But I… I don’t have their numbers. Only Hwa Young knows everything, even the numbers of every restaurant in the city. Heck, that woman probably can recite the location of those restaurants and menu. She’s the total all-in-one Assistant everyone wants.

 

Aiiishhh! Should I call Hwa Young and tell her about what happened? But…

 

“…” I sighed biting my nails contemplating if I should call Hwa Young. My hand playing with my phone while having war with my thoughts. I took a quick glance at the rear view mirror and saw our precious Sajangnim staring at her phone with puffy eyes gleaming with tears. What are we going to do with you Sajangnim?

 

Our convoy turned to the way of the bridge crossing to the other side of the city, the vehicle in front has the bodyguards making sure the CEO is safe. Behind us is Doctor Kim driving her own car and the last car the remaining bodyguards. Luckily the traffic was light and tolerable for this time of the night. All of us thinking of the same thing: keep the Sajangnim safe from any danger lurking around.

 

She needs her sisters…

 

Should I call Hwa Young? I know she can help by contacting Krystal’s family but the thing is…

 

I don’t trust her anymore.

 

The trust I gave her disappeared into thin air when I found out about her affair with Director Choi. That sneaky bastard who has no shame in touching every woman he sees… cheating on his very kind and loving wife. He may look like a very gentle lion on the outside, using his good looks and bedimpled smile. But behind those good boy looks is a devil in disguise. I don’t like cheaters, especially those who cheats endlessly and no shame. My Father cheated on my Mother back then when she was still alive… the main reason why Mama died. She cannot take it… her heart cannot take everything especially the part that my good for nothing Father cheated with her bestfriend.

 

Did I regret leaving the good life I have back in China?

 

No.

 

Never.

 

Better to live alone than be associated with that family… be associated with Him.

 

I don’t need Him in my life.

 

I don’t need a Father like him. He can choke in Hell together with his riches and influence. 

 

That is the reason why I don’t like Director Choi. The very first time I saw him when Krystal hired me and Luna, my radar was pinging on him. He has all the aura my Father has. Overly friendly especially with female staffs, touchy, sweet talker. I don’t trust him at all.

 

 

 

We arrived at Hannam Hill and immediately ushered Krystal inside her residence. Luna and Doctor Kim holding her in both arms while I walk beside them holding her bag and laptop. Her face so pale and eyes glassy from too much crying. She stopped for a moment and looked back to her puppy Jackjack being carried by one of the bodyguards trailing behind us. She motioned for Jimin to give the puppy to her, hugging Jackjack on her chest and giving him a kiss on his head because even the poor puppy seems very sad too before we continued on walking to the elevators. The moment we entered her unit we brought Krystal inside her room and let her sit on the bed.

 

I took her hand squeezing it gently to get her attention. “Krystal, I will go outside and talk to Kwangsoo. Luna and Doctor Hyo will take care of you...”

 

“Wait...” she pulled my hand holding it tight like getting strength from it. I crouch in front of her looking up and met her glassy eyes. “Yes, Sajangnim?”

 

She bit her lips, controlling herself not to cry and took a deep breath letting it out slowly. “I want you to keep this from my sisters.” her words full of authority.

 

“But-…”

 

“Both of them are pregnant, I don’t want them be stressed. They have a close relationship with Amber and for sure those two sisters of mine will react emotionally. Even my brother… I don’t want them all worrying. Keep them off from this dilemma…”

 

I nodded as understood and waited for any additional instructions coming from her. Thank God I don’t know any of their numbers! She reached inside her blouse taking out a necklace… dog tag? A dog tag as her pendant?

 

She was holding the dog tag like she’s getting strength from it. “I want to sleep and take everything that occurred today as a very bad dream. Hoping that when I wake up tomorrow everything is fine… but I can’t.”

 

“Krystal you need to rest. Not just your body but also your mind.”

 

“How can I rest when I know Amber is in grave danger!”

 

“But you need to rest.”

 

“Vic, every minute counts. More importantly now that I knew they kept everything from me for too long. What if those North Koreans are beating Amber everyday?! I will never rest until Amber is back home safe, alive beside me.”

 

Her voice, even if her voice sounded so frail… her intentions were clear. The energy she gets from holding the dog tag makes her this brave in making decisions.

 

I shared a look with Luna and Doctor Kim who are both standing near Krystal. We don’t know how to start but we will do our best.

 

Standing up from crouching, I sat beside Krystal and pulled her for a hug. A hug that means she can count on me not just as a friend, but also as a big sister willing to help. She needs this hug, not just my hug but a lot of hugs that’s why Luna and Doctor Kim joined us and it became a group hug so warm and supportive.

 

We all broke from the embrace, Krystal planting a kiss on the dog tag and enclosed it inside her palm while looking at us three. Eyes full of determination on her quest.

 

“I want Kwangsoo and the bodyguards in my living area… tell them we will have a meeting in 10 minutes. Hyo unnie, I want you to promise that everything you heard will be kept as a secret.”

 

“I promise, Krystal. If you need help I’m here you can count on me.”

 

“Thank you unnie.”

 

The three of us excused ourselves and told her we will prepare for the meeting later when she suddenly spoke. “By the way… Vic, Luna.”

 

“Yes, Sajangnim?”

 

Her eyes roamed like checking her room then said “Do not tell Hwa Young about this… everything about Amber. Tell Kwangsoo as per my instructions to sweep the whole unit and check for any recording devices that may have been planted inside without my knowledge.”

 

Luna and I looked at each other understanding why Krystal suddenly had that thought. She’s right. “Will do that Sajangnim.”

 

“Thank you. Its better to be vigilant than be relaxed.”

 

“But Sajangnim… if Hwa Young is to be excluded, what are you going to do with her?”

 

Krystal’s face turned dark, her eyes emitting such coldness that sent chills in my spine. My goodness.

 

“I will discuss it later.”

 

 

 

 

 

Everything that the Sajangnim commanded was done. Kwangsoo and the seven bodyguards sweep the unit checking every nook and cranny for possible bugging devices that was planted inside. Doctor Kim asked why Hwa Young wasn’t to be informed. I told her just wait for the Sajangnim’s announcement later in the meeting.

 

Jungkook-ssi and Namjoon-ssi (yes her bodyguards has names and those seven guys are nice and efficient) found 1 micro camera attached on the ceiling just by the corner of the wall. A micro bug attached under the coffee table and behind one of the Pop Art painting on the wall of the living room.

 

They also checked the bedroom after Krystal went out newly showered and dressed like she’s attending a Board of Director’s meeting. The distrust showing on Krystal’s face when a micro camera was also found hidden on the ceiling just above the bed and a bugging device planted under the bedside table.

 

I can’t believe it. Everyone of us cannot believe it. All this time her house was being monitored and all her actions, conversations were being recorded and watched by someone behind all of these spying.

 

Krystal conducted a short meeting with us commanding Kwangsoo and the bodyguards to tighten the security and to keep quiet about the matter regarding Lt. Liu. She asked them if they noticed something different with Hwa Young that she didn’t know. One of them, Jungkook, raised his hand while looking so embarrassed and said he saw Hwa Young once. Getting out of Director Choi’s car one night after all the employees went home. He said it was at the Basement Parking while they were waiting for Sajangnim who extended a few hours working. Jungkook said he kept it because its not his place to deal with it, Hwa Young is an adult and she should face the consequence of whatever she did. Kwangsoo was quiet the whole time just listening and in deep thought.

 

After the meeting Doctor Kim took her leave reminding Krystal to rest and eat so she will have energy. She said we can call her if she is needed especially if its Krystal’s health on the line. We said goodbyes then Luna started the work Krystal asked her to do. To retrieve the video recordings and voice clips that the micro camera and bugging device recorded from the start. I excused myself and went inside the common bathroom to refresh myself.

 

Just as I was going out of the bathroom, I saw Krystal by the dining table talking with someone on her phone while jotting some information on a piece of paper. After ending the call, she stood up and was helped by Luna to wear a long coat then took her bag on top of the table turning to me. “Are you ready? Let’s go.”

 

“Huh?” I looked at Luna who only waved her hand pushing me to go. “Where--”

 

“At Panmunjom. If they are not willing to tell me the whole story then I might as well go there and find out. I already called some people who are willing to help… Luna, can I ask for a favor from you and take care of my baby?” Panmunjom…. Panmunjom… isn’t that the place where the JSA is situated?

 

“Wait… you mean we are going to the DMZ?!”

 

All I can do was grab my bag and follow Krystal who already started for the door. The two of us rode the elevator down in silence, Krystal staring at her reflection on the metal door of the elevator. Her face showing that she’s in deep thought. I wonder

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter