SOLDIER LIU

Daydreams and Reality
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:HEY CHINGUS!

POSTING THE SECOND CHAPTER! THANK YOU FOR WAITING ;D

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME WHILE I SLOWLY UNVEIL THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORY. THANK YOU TO ALL THE SUBSCRIBERS AND UPVOTERS!

LET US MEET 2nd Lt. AMBER LIU. 

 

LT. LIU's POV

 

6 Months earlier

 

Fort Bragg, North Carolina

 

 

 

“Where are you heading this time Liu?”

 

I gave a small smile to my fellow soldier while closing the zipper of my duffle bag.

 

“Anywhere that my feet will lead me, Brown.”

 

I took the bag swinging it on my back and face him asking. “Family is waiting?”

 

“Yeah! You know how much I wanted to go home even just for a while and see my baby girl…” both of us went out of the barracks and joined our other team mates who  also set to go home. Our whole unit was given a special permission to take our leave and be with our family.

 

Them, with their family.

 

Because I don’t have one.

 

 

 

 

 

Fayetteville Regional Airport, North Carolina

 

 

 

I stood in front of the board where the flight schedules for the day is being shown. I’ve been here for 2 hours and until now hasn’t decided where to go.

 

I can buy a ticket and fly home to Los Angeles…

 

But there is nothing… no one… waiting for me.

 

I do not have any desire of flying to Taiwan and visit my estranged relatives… seeing them just brings back painful memories of childhood. The possibility of seeing my Uncle will just trigger the hate I have inside until now.

 

In my 10 years of serving at the Armed Forces, I already saved enough money to retire somewhere in the world and live a simple life. But I can’t… just the thought of going home in a house with no one waiting for my arrival is not the life I wanted. I’d rather die in the battle field with honour than wait for the day of my death lying in a bed and alone.

 

There is nothing to lose. I always treat every operations we do as my last, if I return safe and alive with my team mates after a very dangerous but successful ops then I consider myself unlucky.

 

Unlucky because until now the Gods refuses to accommodate me to the gates of Heaven and be with my family.

 

My brothers in the squad said I should get married and have kids so that there will be someone waiting for me when I take our yearly or sometimes much needed vacation after I don’t know how long. I took it as a joke, they said it wasn’t. I told them I do not have any desire to have a husband nor have a boyfriend nor kids for goodness sake because I am not capable of having a relationship be it a man or a woman… hell! Even produce a life!

 

My life is the Army, the Army is my life.

 

If it is my time, then it is my time.

 

In every vacations given to us, I fly somewhere in the world and stay there to immerse myself in their culture and live in a quiet manner undetected. Staying in one place until I am called again to serve and do my duty to the nation, fighting a never ending war against terror.

 

Germany, France, Switzerland.

 

Vietnam, Macau, HongKong.

 

New Zealand, and the last was Japan.

 

Before flying to these places and settle myself for a short period of time, I never forget to stop first at the place where I lost everything.

 

“Hmmm… 22 hours and 2 stops. As always…” I whistled a tune while walking to the ticket counter, joining the surge of people looking for the departure gates.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Phuket Beach, Thailand

 

 

“Hey Mom, hey Dad… its Amber your lazy daughter.” I inhaled the scent of the white Carnations I brought with me, sending a short prayer for the souls of the deceased. The beach is calm and the sun tickles my skin. The fine sand of the beach where my feet lay reminds me of the devastating day I lost my precious parents.

 

December 26, 2004

 

The date that changed my life forever.

 

And everyone of us survivors of the devastating Boxing Day Tsunami that hit other neighboring countries of Thailand that is facing the Indian Ocean.

 

My parents were Taiwanese immigrants who settled at the United States looking for a better life. They worked day and night to save money and have a better life for the family they planned. I was an only child, my parents showered me with love and affection giving everything I need in life.

 

Dad was an Accountant while Mom was a Supervisor in a bookshop. I was 15 years old when Dad surprised us… his company gave him an incentive. An all-expense paid trip for 4 days and 3 nights at a beach resort in Phuket, Thailand to spend the holidays. It was the happiest moment of our lives.

 

It was our 3rd day at the beach resort when the tragedy happened right before my very eyes.

 

I remember Dad and Mom woke up early that day telling me they will have their morning walk by the beach side. I was too sleepy to join them because I slept late the night before after watching too much TV. My Dad called me a lazy and told me if I don’t get up in my bed he will confiscate the watch he gave me as a Christmas gift. I just sneered at what he said and fell asleep again.

 

When I woke up again, I can hear the screams outside. I immediately went out at the balcony of our second floor suite and saw the waves at sea getting near the shore fast. It wasn’t a simple wave… it was a powerful wave coming from the ocean.

 

My heart was pounding in my chest loudly when Dad and Mom entered my mind. Because I know they were out there and possibly in danger.

 

What can a 15 year old lanky girl do to save her parents? That is a question until now that haunts me.

 

 

 

 

“Amber!!! Amber!!! Don’t go down!” I heard someone calling my name from afar and I caught sight of Mom and Dad running fast hand in hand from the beach side.

 

“MOM!!!! DAD!!!! FASTER!!! THE WATER IS COMING!!!!” I was panicking, looking for something to do to help them. I thought of the bed linens and quickly ran to my room to get the bed sheets with the plan of tying them together and make it as a rope just like what I see in the movies. I went back to the balcony and saw them running for their life.

 

Both of them ran as fast as they can but there were so many people that morning... panicking and going into different directions they don’t know. The water was coming fast and washing out everything that it crashes on. Beach chairs, ice cream cart, even people. I tied the linen on the railing of the balcony and dropped it down hoping Mom And Dad can reach it but it was too late.

 

I saw how the surge of sea water carry my Mom and Dad away, the water eating them and bringing them somewhere. That was the last time I saw my parents…

 

 

 

 

 

The U.S. Embassy got in touch with my Uncle in Taiwan, Dad’s estranged brother. But they were not keen on taking care of me since they barely knew who I am. At age 15, I was taken into foster care by an elderly couple living in Ohio. The money my parents left was taken away by the very same Uncle who refuses to accept me.

 

The couple was very kind and they treated me as their own child since they didn’t have one. The old man was a Vietnam War veteran and living on his war and disabilities pension because his left hand is cut off due to a grenade blast. He told me stories about the war, how hard it was for them that time. Not knowing if they will live for another day or not, the sound of machine guns non-stop and bomb blasts still on his mind. But even though it was hard, he said he survived because there is only one thing on his mind that time that made him brave. And that is to come home alive to his wife waiting for him.

 

After finishing High School, instead of enrolling in a university, I decided to enlist in the military. I just turned 18 years old then with no bright future ahead. I lost my interest in education even though back then I was an honor student and was once considered a genius. Losing my parents made me change into a whole new person.

 

They said my frail body wouldn’t take it and offered for me to serve in the clerical military work. I proved them wrong and aced all the exams even the physical training.

 

10 years…

 

My first tour of duty was in Iraq nearing the end of the war. I was deployed there together with the new recruits, battling the enemies of the State. It was scary. Bullets flying everywhere, land mines surprising fools who don’t take cautions, bombs… tanks… it was sandy, the desert sand isn’t good. It enters my boots even my shirt.

 

 

When the war on Iraq ended and the U.S. military forces was pulled out, our batallion was transferred back to Fort Bragg for retraining while waiting for our next deployment. I made myself more knowledgeable of modern warfare and intelligence. Then I decided to enter the Officer Candidate School in order to get a commission and the hopes of rising in the ranks. I finished it, got the commission and took an Oath of Office earning the rank of Second Lieutenant.

 

In every war there is in the Middle East, we were deployed and positioned at the battlefront. My rifle in my tight hold killing every insurgents ordered for us to kill. I don’t know how many lives I have taken with my rifle because of the raids we made… how many lives were lost when I fire my grenade launcher… enough to make me go to Hell perhaps?

 

Its my duty. It was why I was there. I bravely fought enemies even in hand to hand combat when needed, bullets pierce my skin a lot of times, bruises, cuts. My body already had it all but here I am still alive… but dead inside.

 

Joining the elite force was a decision I don’t regret. The training process was hard, emotionally and physically exhausting that it will really set you to the edge of your sanity. But I survived it and passed the grueling process. Impossible for a woman? I don’t think so. Being included in The Delta Force is a lifetime achievement I am very proud of. The most highly trained elite forces besides the U.S. NAVY DEVGRU, we helped in capturing high level ISIS leaders in Iraq and previously the most known years ago, the capture of Saddam Hussein.   

 

Carrying confidential Spec Ops (Special Operations), hostage taking operations in the Islamic State, even tracking an international terrorist and eliminate him… all of that I already experienced. Giving my all in serving the country and following the orders given to us. Knowing it is one step closer to the grave everytime we are in dangerous situations. I know, I sound crazy but that’s how I feel.

 

I threw the flowers in the water and let them float until they reach nowhere. I closed my eyes and thought of Mom and Dad’s faces. They were smiling at me, telling me that I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter