Keep it a Secret...

Stuck in the middle

 

The three of them (the Doctor, Nurse Sooyoung and Min Ah) stared in shock at the equally shocked Yoona. Nurse Sooyoung was the first to recover as she pulled Yoona inside the room and quickly closed (and locked) the door. Feeling the intense awkwardness and pressure, Yoona then helped Nurse Sooyoung pick up the fallen items on the floor and placed them all back to the tray. The doctor cleared his throat and Min Ah couldn’t bottle up her hidden feelings anymore. She cried and Yoona sat beside her and cradled the younger one in her arm.

 

“Unni…m-mianhae…I—”

 

“Ssshh.. just let it all out, Min Ah.. we can talk later.” Yoona smiled, fighting back her own tears from falling.

-------------

 

Min Ah stopped crying after a while and fell asleep. Yoona tucked the blanket up to her chin and went outside the room where Nurse Sooyoung and the doctor were waiting. Nurse Sooyoung told Yoona to sit on the waiting bench while she and the doctor stood in front of her.  Yoona was introduced to Doctor Seo, the Kim’s Family Doctor, and shook hands.

 

“I see that you’re very close with Ms. Min Ah, Yoona-ssi, so I guess you and Mr. Jaejoong are close, too?” he asked.

 

Yoona nodded. “Nae, kind of…”

 

Dr. Seo sighed, closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose with his fingers. “We have successfully kept Ms. Min Ah’s true health condition a secret from everyone, including Mr. Jaejoong, upon Min Ah-ssi’s request but..not tonight.”

 

Yoona lowered her head. I shouldn’t have come…

 

“But since I saw how Min Ah-ssi responded to you earlier,” Dr. Seo continued. “I can easily tell that she trusts you. So, Nurse Choi, should we?”

 

Doctor Seo looked at Nurse Sooyoung and she nodded. We are left with no choice, since Yoona has already heard about it.

 

Yoona looked up to Dr. Seo as he sighed and began explaining everything to her.

 

“Min Ah-ssi has been suffering from Leukemia for a year now and as their family doctor, it is my responsibility to let the family members know about this but Min Ah-ssi doesn’t want her brother to know. I didn’t want to hide it from Jaejoong-ssi but but she insisted. So left with no other choice, I kept this a secret together with Nurse Choi and all of my medical team. Leukemia is cancer of the blood cells. The bone marrow starts to make a lot of abnormal white blood cells, called Leukemia cells. They don’t do the work of normal white blood cells, they grow faster than normal cells and they don’t stop growing when they should. Over time, Leukemia cells can crowd out the normal blood cells. This can lead to serious problems such as anemia, bleeding, and infections. Leukemia cells can also spread to the lymph nodes or other organs and cause swelling or pain. Truthfully, Yoona-ssi, Min Ah’s injuries from the car accident have all healed but due to her discovered Leukemia a year later, we advised her to stay.”

 

Yoona nodded to every sentence of Dr. Seo, listening and absorbing everything he’s telling her. So that’s why Min Ah’s still in the hospital…

 

“In Min Ah-ssi’s case, she has CML or Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. It is a type of cancer that causes the body to produce large numbers of white blood cells of myelocytes. These myelocytes, called Leukemia cells, cannot fight infection very well. CML usually gets worse slowly. It is sometimes referred to as Chronic Myeloid Leukemia or Chronic Granulocytic Leukemia. CML is more common in men than in women and it occurs more frequently in adults in their 50s and is rarely seen in children, which is why Min Ah-ssi’s case is very rare since she got it from an early age. I can see that you’re a smart girl, Yoona-ssi, and I’m sure you noticed Min Ah-ssi has had fevers, poor appetites and weight loss.”

 

Yoona nodded.

 

“Those are some of CML symptoms. The spleen of a CML patient may become swollen and painful, too.”

 

“Oh! There was one day that I saw Min Ah clutching her stomach in pain.” Yoona said, remembering. “That was the day she got transferred to her private room.”

 

Dr. Seo nodded. “Yes, she was actually clutching on her upper abdomen, or to be more specific, her spleen area.”

 

“Oh..” Yoona could only nod in response.

 

“CML may be classified into three distinct phases,” Dr. Seo said, holding out three fingers. “The Chronic Phase, Accelerated Phase, and the Blast Crisis Phase.”

 

“Which one is Min Ah’s current phase, Dr. Seo?” Yoona asked, silently hoping it’s not the last one.

 

“Unfortunately, since Min Ah-ssi has been refusing the needed treatment, she’s…at the Accelerated Phase already.”

 

Yoona closed her eyes and she felt a bit frustrated with Min Ah. I understand that you don’t want to be a burden to your oppa, Min Ah, but…AISH! Your health is what you’re sacrificing here! “But at least she’s not at the Blast Crisis Phase, right, Dr. Seo?”

 

Dr. Seo heaved out another sigh. “For now, yes, but if she keeps on refusing her chemotherapy via IV treatment, there’s a big possibility that Min Ah-ssi’s condition will worsen.”

 

Yoona placed a shaking hand over her heart and looked at the door of Min Ah’s room. No…please, Min Ah…please stop refusing your treatment so you can be well already…

 

“Yoona-ssi…” Nurse Sooyoung sat beside Yoona and lay a comforting hand on her shoulder. “I will not lie and say that everything’s gonna be alright but let’s just hope and pray that good things will happen…sooner or later.”

 

Yoona slowly nodded her head and Dr. Seo placed his hands in his coat pockets. “Yoona-ssi, we have trust in you so please, please keep this matter a secret from everyone and most especially from Jaejoong-ssi.”

 

“I promise, Dr. Seo.” Yoona promised, looking straight into the doctor’s eyes. He nodded and thanked her before leaving. Nurse Sooyoung smiled at Yoona and followed behind Dr. Seo, carrying her tray. Yoona stayed seated there for a while, gathering her thoughts. ‘I wonder how much Min Ah’s treatment costs.’

-----------------

“Chemotherapy costs around 20,000 USD (23 M KRW),” a young nurse said, answering Yoona’s inquiry.

(A/N: THIS ISN'T A REAL PRICE .. I MADE THIS UP ^^)

 

“Ahh..nae, kamsahamnida.” Yoona bowed and walked back to Min Ah’s room. She sat on the stool and watched Min Ah’s steady breathing. Because Min Ah looked like she stirred in her sleep a while ago, Yoona tucked the blanket under her chin again and later on rested her head on the bed, beside Min Ah’s hand. Please….accept…the….treatment..Min Ah….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 

(the next morning)

 

Yoona opened her eyes and noticed that she slept in. Darn it, and today’s a school day, too! Ugh!....Wait—where’s Min Ah!? She sat up and stared at the empty bed in front of her.

 

“Relax, Min Ah is just in the comfort room.”

 

That voice…GASP!

 

“J-Jaejoong!” Yoona pointed her index finger at him, who is sitting on the wooden bench across the room with an amused expression on his flawless face.

 

“Good morning to you, too.” Jaejoong smirked.

 

Yoona stuck her tongue out and noticed something was on the floor. It was Jaejoong’s jacket. Oh? It must’ve fell when I sat up a while ago. So..does this mean he lent it to me while I was sleeping? Yoona picked it up and dusted off the dirt. “How long have you been here, Jaejoong?”

 

“2 hours.” He replied. “I just came from Busan.”

 

Oh, right. Yoona mentally slapped herself, remembering Jaejoong’s exhausting daily schedule. He must be really tired. “Thanks…for the jacket.”

 

“You’re welcome.” Jaejoong leaned on the wall, closed his eyes and sighed.

 

Yoona stood up. “I should go home now, umma must be worried about me.”

 

Jaejoong opened his eyes and offered to accompany her but Yoona shook her head and gave back his jacket. “You should sleep, Jaejoong. Rest.”

 

He was about to protest when Min Ah came out of the comfort room. “Unnie, you’re leaving already?”

 

Yoona nodded and walked to Min Ah, giving her a hug and whispering into her ear. “I still have to go home and get ready for school, you know.”

 

Min Ah smiled and whispered back. “Unnie, kamsahamnida.”

 

Yoona broke the hug and pinched Min Ah’s nose. “For you, little gom (bear). Now it’s time for me to go, okay? Annyeong!”

 

“See you in school, Jaejoong, and don’t be late!” Yoona reminded him before closing the door behind her. Jaejoong smirked and lay on the wooden bench for his nap while Min Ah lay on her bed. Outside, Yoona leaned on the wall and closed her eyes, the words of Dr. Seo ringing in her head.

 

“Yoona-ssi, we have trust in you so please, please keep this matter a secret from everyone and most especially from Jaejoong-ssi...

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

End of Chapter!!

DISCLAIMER: Info about CML and Leukemia are from the internet J credits to the net !! woooot :D

 

So sorry for the late update T________T

I posted this in ‘I am Yonghwa’s Tutor’ so I’ll post it here, too:

 

 

I GOT MUCH BUSIER THIS MONTH THAT I COULDN'T UPDATE ALL MY STORIES REGULARLY ANYMORE T_____T

you see, I'm part of the group who's trusted by teachers and I'm part of the committee for our school activities and etc.

This week we have Prelim Exams and an Acquaintance Party so I'll be REALLY BUSY .. SUPER BUSY 

T______T

 

TO EVERYONE: SEND ME YOUR IDEAS OF WHAT YOU WANT TO HAPPEN FOR YOONA ON VALENTINE’S DAY !! SEND IT TO ME AS A PERSONAL MESSAGE, OKAY? Don’t mix it with your comments below ;)

I’d love to use an idea or two .. or three .. kekeke ;)

 

Oh .. I’ll advertise ooookay ? :)

 

Support my EXO fics!! (they’re both on-going..)

 

a. HEARTSTRINGS (YOU, Sehun, Suho & Baekhyun)

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/180834/heartstrings-romance-exo-sehun-baekhyun-suho-exoandlove-ocandexo

 

b. A SECOND CHANCE IN LIFE AND LOVE (YOU & Chanyeol)

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/231920/a-second-chance-in-life-and-love-romance-taemin-exok-baekhyun-chanyeol-timeloop-chanyeolandyou

 

KAMSAHAMNIDA !!! <3

 

xoxo,

claring95 <3