Chapter 8

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: Listen to Taylor Swift's Better Than Revenge before reading. :)  x

 

//

 

 

CHAPTER 8

 

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

 

My hand barely grazed the wooden door when I froze and let it drop.

 

It’s 12:04, already past midnight, and I still haven’t heard anything from Hanna right after we finished practicing and left the company. The image of her face streaked with tears kept flashing at the back of my mind and I cannot shake this heavy feeling building inside me. I remember how pained and hurt she looked – how broken she seemed. I cannot forget how she stared at me that time like I’m the most wonderful yet most horrible thing she’s ever seen.

 

I closed my eyes and heaved a deep breath.

 

Just like she promised, she returned to the room after being gone for a while. She forced me to continue with the rehearsal although it was clearly obvious she doesn’t have the heart to do it anymore. We sang and sang over and over but I could tell she was only doing it for the sake of finishing it off. She left immediately after making sure I’ve mastered the lyrics and offered to go home. She locked herself up after arriving and never went out even to eat.

 

So here I am, standing outside her door, waiting for her to come out. I went here almost an hour ago – right after making sure all the boys have gone to sleep. I stood outside, sat on the floor, stood up again, but I couldn’t seem to bring myself to knock and call her. I wanted to talk to her and apologize but I don’t think apologizing would do any help. I’m afraid I might just hurt her even more.

 

Biting my lower lip, I took a hesitant step towards her door and leaned my head against it to listen.

 

Nothing.

 

There was no sound, no anything, that’s coming off her room that could mean she’s still up.

 

But I know better.

 

Hanna’s not the type to sleep early – especially when she’s upset.

 

I sighed again and let myself fall on the floor, sitting down so that my back’s leaning against her door frame. I don’t have the strength to talk to her yet I also cannot bring myself to leave. I know coming back to my room and trying to get some sleep would be impossible. Because I want to be close to her – I need to be close to her as much as I could. It’s the only way I could keep my sanity.

 

I miss you, I thought as a tear fell from my eye. I’m sorry I can’t do anything… but I miss you.

 

 

***

 

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

I was sitting on the floor beside my bed, my eyes prickly and swollen from crying when I felt my stomach rumble. I touched it and sighed in exasperation.

 

Right, I haven’t eaten anything.

 

Clutching my stomach tight, I pulled myself to my feet and decided to head off to the kitchen to scavenge some midnight snacks.

 

I stopped when I reached my door.

 

The light from outside are getting spilled on my room’s floor through the door’s crevice but some part of it wasn’t – like something’s blocking the passage the of light from outside.

 

I knelt down to check and with a painful lurch of my heart; I realized it might not be something but someone.

 

I touched the door tenderly, tears threatening to fall again

 

“Baek?” I whispered almost inaudibly.

 

I don’t know how to explain how I knew it’s him but it is him. I’d bet my whole life on it.

 

Already forgotten about my growling stomach, I sank on the floor shaking – right on the spot opposite him.

 

It felt oddly reassuring, to know that behind this thin door is him. This must be the closest I got to him in ages. I folded my knees against my chest and sighed contentedly. I have no idea what he’s doing there outside my door or the reason why he’s even staying up this late. But knowing he’s there is enough.

 

You selfish jerk, I glowered in my head. Acting like this after breaking up… Why do you keep on confusing me? Why don’t you just let me go?

 

My hands balled into fists as I found myself continuously getting frustrated.

 

But in the end I shook my head and laughed humorlessly.

 

“That’s right, you’re such a selfish jerk…” I muttered incredulously. “But I still miss you so much.”

 

 

***

 

 

[Kim Tae Yeon’s POV]

 

 

“You okay?” a voice spoke. I pulled my coat closer around me and focused on walking. Today’s another rehearsal day but unlike the previous rehearsals, I’m very much looking forward for today’s. Because today’s the day Hanna and Baekhyun’s going to perform.

 

“Ya, Taeyeon-ah,” someone called out and grabbed my wrist. I pulled my arm away rather harshly before realizing it was only Tiffany. She stared at me wide-eyed.

 

“Ya, are you alright?” she asked worriedly. “You’ve been quiet ever since we got here. And besides, you look pale. Are you okay? Are you sick?”

 

I placed a hand on my forehead and shook my head.

 

“No, I’m okay,” I replied shortly.

 

Tiffany doesn’t look convinced.

 

“You’re worried, aren’t you? About Hanna and Baekhyun,” she said, toning her voice down so that the other members won’t hear.

 

I gazed at her and nodded.

 

“When are we ever going to move on from this,” she demanded impatiently. Putting a hand on her hip, she continued, “Taeyeon, you’ve been stressing over this topic for what? A year? Are you kidding me? Why don’t you just let go of Baekhyun? Move on. There are tons of guys out there waiting for you. Why not give them a chance and just drop that someone who’s only making your life difficult?”

 

“I can’t…” I whispered almost to myself. “I can’t stop… not now that I’m so close…”

 

“Close to what?” Tiffany snapped. “You’ve never been close to anything, Taeyeon. You’ve always been at the losing end. Why can’t you see that?”

 

“You’re wrong,” I answered back, still in a low voice.

 

Tiffany scoffed and shook her head dramatically as if she’s about to slap me but was trying to stop herself from doing it.

 

“Wrong?” she repeated in disbelief. “How the hell can I be wrong, Taeyeon? You’ve been running after that guy for years. You’re older than him. You’re his senior. But you’re letting him drag you around like you’re just some ordinary girl. Wake up, Taeyeon. Baekhyun doesn’t love you. He loves---“

 

“He kissed me,” I said, cutting her off. I know what she’s about to say: He loves Hanna. Yes, I know that. But that thing doesn’t apply anymore.

 

“What?” Tiffany blurted, her face scrunched. She stared at me like I’m someone who’s worthy of being sent to a mental institution.

 

“He kissed me,” I said again with more force this time. I stared at her, hope sparkling in my eyes. “He kissed me, Tiffany. He kissed me and Hanna was there to see it. They’ve broken up. They’re not together anymore.”

 

“They… what?” she continued, still dazed by my sudden revelation.

 

I took a step toward her, angling my head up so that I could look at her straight in the eye.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter