Chapter 27

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 27

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

After the wedding, we were led to a different cottage – much larger and more spacious than the one Myungsoo and I have – for the reception and after-party. There, we were served freshly cooked sumptuous meals while the guests come one by one to Myungsoo’s and I’s table at the center for group pictures. My husband’s in the middle of an animated chat with Eric Nam while I simply entertained myself by watching Mr. Choi make his rounds inside the room – capturing photos tirelessly. He’d been on a roll today; I’ve never even seen him drop his camera once.

 

“Aren’t you going to eat?” Myungsoo suddenly asked and I realized Eric Nam already left and has moved to reunite with his WGM family. I pushed my barely-touched plate of food away before muttering, “I-I’m full, oppa.”

 

Myungsoo frowned and his voice was tinged with worry when he asked again, “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah,” I immediately answered, playing with my fingers. “I just don’t have the appetite. Must be the nerves.”

 

My husband nodded in understanding and offered me a glass of cold water.

 

“Drink this at least,” he commanded and I obeyed without another word.

 

The two of us were silent for a moment before someone cleared his throat and Eric Nam’s voice boomed through the hall’s speakers.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, I just got the announcement that someone had volunteered to serenade our lovely newlyweds,” he spoke with dignity. He pretended to fix his suit before continuing, “And yes, that person is no other than… yours truly – me.”

 

This made everyone shake in laughter, even me.

 

“Myungsoo-ssi, Hanna-ssi, this is for you,” he said, bowing politely at us.

 

An upbeat music began to play and I let my head bob along the rhythm. I recognized the song immediately – Bruno Mars’ Marry You. Of course. Eric Nam’s also good in English. Surely, he’d pick a foreign song.

 

 

“It’s a beautiful night, we’re looking for something dumb to do.

Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you.”

 

 

Eric began, sending me a playful wink that made Myungsoo glare at him threateningly.

 

 

“Is it the look in your eyes,

Or is it this dancing juice?

Who cares baby, I think I wanna marry you.”

 

 

The host started to dance hilariously that I was half-going-crazy and half-trying-to-keep-a-straight-face. It was such a fun number that many are clapping their hands to the music while some even managed to sing along. Myungsoo and I were doing both.

 

“Who’s up to beat that one heck of a performance?” Eric spoke again as he fanned himself after that energy-draining song and dance number. He gazed at the crowd expectantly while muttering, “Anyone? Anyone?”

 

A pair of hands shot up from one of the tables and I squinted enough to see it was coming from Infinite’s. I nudged Myungsoo with my elbow and saw his puzzled and almost freaked out expression when Sungkyu and Woohyun rose from their seats.

 

“Oh, oh! Here are our first challengers! Mr. Kim Sungkyu and Mr. Nam Woohyun of Infinite!” Eric announced as he motioned the audience to clap their hands.

 

“We’re here as representatives of the groom,” Sungkyu spoke through the microphone and Myungsoo’s disgusted expression almost made me choke in laughter. He looked utterly embarrassed of what s are doing.

 

The two men did a remake of K. Will’s Marry Me which, I’m sure, made all the ladies in the room squirm on their seats. I was in the middle of hooting and cheering joyfully when Myungsoo slapped my hand and threw me a what-are-you-doing look. I simply shook it off and continued.

 

“What a great performance! Of course, Infinite never disappoints!” Eric exclaimed, his voice bouncing off the walls of the wide ballroom hall. “What about our bride? Doesn’t she have any representatives?”

 

Eyes turned towards EXO’s direction instantly after that. I caught the boys’ stricken expression and their quick exchange of meaningful glances, as they seem to ask each other which of them would stand up to volunteer.

 

Jongin’s voice was only loud enough for me to hear when he spoke, “Baekhyun-hyung! You can do it!”

 

All the members seem to agree at that and they all began to force Baekhyun off his seat. The man’s face twisted in panic and hesitation as he tried to dodge s’ comments and orders. I wanted so bad to help him, to tell the members to let anyone sing except him. Because truthfully, I understand what Baekhyun’s thinking – I understand what’s making him hesitate to stand up and sing. Because if this was someone else’s wedding, I am definite he’d already stood up and took on the challenge. But this wedding’s not just someone else’s – it’s of me and Myungsoo. And God knows how burdensome it would be for him.

 

Baekhyun was already on the verge of leaving his seat when Kyungsoo suddenly stood up, pulling a confused Chanyeol along with him.

 

“I’ll sing,” he said in a rush. I caught his quick glance towards Baekhyun who immediately gave him a thankful smile. Relief washed over the other man’s features as he comfortably returned to his seat. I felt myself sigh in ease, too.

 

“Get a guitar, Yeol,” Kyungsoo ordered the taller male who quickly dashed towards the band at the corner and borrowed an acoustic guitar. It took them a short time to set up and afterwards, Kyungsoo began to sing while Chanyeol played the instrument effortlessly.

 

 

“If I was your boyfriend, I’d never let you go.

I can take you places you ain’t never been before.

Baby take a chance on me or you’ll never ever know,

I got money in my hands that I really like to blow.”

 

 

Squeals filled the room as recognition of the song hit. I found myself break into a wide smile and apprehended the boys as if I’m their proud mother. Kyungsoo’s voice was smooth as silk as he turned Justin Bieber’s upbeat song into his own style and kidding aside, I prefer his version even more.

 

 

“If I was your boyfriend, never let you go.

Keep you on my arm girl, you’d never be alone.

I can be a gentleman, anything you want.

If I was your boyfriend, I’d never let you go, I’d never let you go.”

 

 

As soon as the song ended, I stood up from my seat and blew the two boys a kiss. I applauded and smiled at them brightly while flashing a ‘thumbs up’ sign. The two bowed before triumphantly returning to their tables where they got welcomed with warm greetings by the rest of members.

 

Myungsoo and I were already in the middle of debating which of our representatives were better when Eric Nam spoke again, “What’s this? Another representative from the bride’s side?”

 

Frowning in confusion, we turned our heads just in time for me to catch a glimpse of Baekhyun slowly walking away from EXO’s table – Chanyeol still following behind with the guitar clutched in his hand.

 

I felt my whole body tense.

 

Baekhyun and I’s gazes only met for a split second before he finally lowered his eyes and continued to look away. I cannot read the expression on his face, making it hard for me to figure out what he’s thinking. What in the world is he planning to do?

 

He cleared his throat before nodding at Chanyeol who began plucking the guitar with his skilled fingers. My breathing completely ceased as I watched Baekhyun sang; Myungsoo eyeing me from my side.

 

 

“Wise men say,

Only fools rush in.

But I can’t help falling in love with you.”

 

 

Baekhyun’s voice was kind of shaky at first, his face filled with discomfort. But he regained himself quick enough and his soft husky voice filled the room – capturing everyone’s attention; prohibiting them from further speaking.

 

 

“Shall I stay?

Would it be a sin,

If I can’t help falling in love with you?”

 

 

Once again, my feelings were scattered all over the place. I don’t even know exactly what to feel anymore. There was pain and pride bubbling inside me and it’s giving me a hard time trying to decipher which of them is greater than the other. I was completely aware of Myungsoo watching me but my eyes won’t seem to want to leave Baekhyun. He looked absolutely stunning. It’s difficult not to think how he’s still the same man I first fell in love with.

 

 

“Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling, so it goes

Some things are meant to be.”

 

 

Suddenly, he turned to face our table and once again our eyes met. He didn’t look away this time though; he just held my gaze.

 

 

“Take my hand,

Take my whole life, too.

For I can’t help falling in love with you.”

 

 

Baekhyun held his hand out towards my direction, his long slender fingers looking just as beautiful as they’ve always been. My chest tightened as memories of my own fingers weaving delicately with those God-made ones filled my head. I felt that familiar pull I always feel every time I see him and know that once again, he’s succeeding in drawing me in.

 

 

“For I can’t help falling in love with you…

For I can’t help falling in love with you…”

 

 

Baekhyun pulled the microphone away while Chanyeol stopped playing. Applause resonated from the crowd and I gulped and breathed deeply as I struggled to put on a wide smile. I could feel my eyes burning but I blinked the tears away and forced myself to act normally. There are cameras scattered all over the place – recording my every movement – that the possibility of getting caught is just too high.

 

Baekhyun was still staring at me with an unfathomable expression as he lowered his head and bowed. Reflexively, I began to rise from my seat to walk up to him but I suddenly felt someone’s hand clasp with mine. I turned my head to see Myungsoo looking at me worriedly. He shook his head slightly, just obvious enough not to raise any suspicion, and I obediently returned to my seat.

 

“Wow. This hall is really b with talented people!” Eric Nam gushed, quickly shifting to his host character. “Now that I’m sure everyone’s already well-rested, it’s time to move on to the highlight of our wedding reception… the games!”

 

Now this part took Myungsoo and I by surprise. We both thought that the filming would end right after the small banquet but none of us were informed about games being held. Eric Nam excused himself for a moment to leave the room only to return pulling a tall weird-looking object hidden underneath a red cloth. Eric removed the fabric with a quick yank, revealing a roulette bearing names of what seemed to be the game prizes.

 

The games began shortly.

 

There were games made only for the guests to join while majority were permitted solely for Myungsoo and I. Such games, as expected, required a lot of skinship to stir the emotions of the crowd. The awkwardness seems to intensify triple times especially with EXO and Infinite  watching us live. I made it a point not to look at them, afraid that it would only embarrass me even more. But most especially, I don’t think I could bear seeing Baekhyun’s reaction while watching Myungsoo and I touch each other rather intimately.

 

The two groups battled each other in a game of charades where Infinite won, granting them a box of Hanwoo beef to take home. Myungsoo and I also succeeded in some of the games which endowed us quite a few gifts like movie tickets and a gift certificate from a five-star restaurant and a spa.

 

Everything was going well and manageable not until Eric Nam revealed the last prize and the final challenge we have to face in order to achieve it.

 

“Free trip to Macau!” he exclaimed theatrically. The sound of the reward didn’t fail to perk my ears up and make my eyes pop wide in shock. A trip to Macau? Really? For free?

 

“Now this prize is very much useful especially for newlyweds like you. A honeymoon in Macau? Who can resist that?” Eric continued with burning passion. “The mechanics of the game is simple. The first player will have his eyes blindfolded and he has to look for his partner among the five people I am going to choose. But here’s the twist, I’ll be assigning a specific body part and the player needs to find his partner by touching ‘only’ that part I choose. You will get the prize once both of you succeeded in clearing all the five stages of the game. Everything clear?”

 

I didn’t respond but only gaped at Eric Nam in disbelief. What the heck? Is this game even possible? Myungsoo seemed to be just as stunned as me but even our silence isn’t enough to keep Eric from having his fun. He quickly ordered Myungsoo out of his seat and blindfolded him. He picked four ladies from the audience that comparably has a built closest to mine before tugging me along to join them. He lined the five of us horizontally, expertly placing me on the third spot. He announced the body part of his liking which happened to be ‘hair’ before he carefully guided Myungsoo to our direction. He held Myungsoo’s hand and placed them on our heads one by one. The player only has 10 seconds to touch his subject before he has to move on to the next. I stood tensed when Myungsoo reached me and stopped breathing as soon as his hand positioned on my head. He ruffled my hair slowly, it tenderly with his fingertips, before he stepped away with a small smile tugging the corners of his mouth. He moved on to the fourth and fifth ladies before Eric Nam asked him what his guess is.

 

“Three. I choose number three,” he answered confidently. A murmur of surprise erupted from the crowd and even Eric Nam looked stupefied for a moment before he announced Myungs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter