Chapter 1

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 1

 

[Kim Myung Soo’s POV]

 

 

“Ya! Kim Myungsoo! Drink some more!” Woohyun yelled as he pushed another bottle of beer towards me. We are currently at a private KTV Bar, pre-celebrating the kickoff of our concert tour. I’ve only finished a single bottle before deciding it best to stop. Sungjong and Sungyeol’s currently enjoying the karaoke while the other members continued feasting all around me. I wanted to go wild and have fun with them but my mind just keeps drifting off somewhere else. I know the members have already noticed my silence and it’s slowly getting on their nerves.

 

“What’s wrong with you? Why aren’t you having fun?” Sungkyu demanded, searching for a nice song to sing.

 

I shook my head and replied, “Nothing. I’m okay, hyung.”

 

He gave me a knowing look before turning his attention back to the song book at hand.

 

I sighed and took a swig of Woohyun’s beer.

 

I still remember exactly what happened after today’s shoot. I was there, watching Hanna from afar as she rode the van. I saw the hesitance on her Manager’s face, the deep worry reflected in her eyes. Right then, I’ve sensed there’s probably something wrong. And I was right. The answer appeared at the  exact moment I opened the Internet and checked the news portals.

 

“EXO Faces Second Member’s Departure”, the article welcomed me in bold bright red letters. I’ve read whole article and realized Luhan was the one who left this time. Since then, my mind kept wandering off towards Hanna. I can’t shake the feeling of worry and fear. She must be feeling so down right now.

 

I took another swig of the beer and leaned against the couch. I draped an arm over my eyes and forced my mind to calm down.

 

1… 2… 3… I began to count.

 

I had just reached the twenty eighth count when I stood up, making the members pause in surprise.

 

I took my beer, emptied it in one gulp, and grabbed my jacket.

 

“Where are you going?” Dongwoo asked, a tambourine held in hand.

 

“There’s just something I need to check, hyung,” I replied before finally storming outside.

 

My manager caught sight of me at the entrance and blocked my path.

 

“Whoa, whoa. Where are you headed to?” he demanded, both arms raised to keep me from getting away.

 

I held my palm out and spoke, “Let me borrow your car keys, hyung.”

 

He looked at me like I was about to go insane.

 

“What are you talking about, Myungsoo? Are you drunk?” he asked and starts to laugh.

 

“I’m not,” I snapped impatiently. “I just need to check something. Please, hyung.”

 

My manager stared at me like he’s contemplating whether I’m really sober enough to drive or not. He must have seen the sincerity and urgency in my eyes that in the end, he gave in.

 

“Drive safely, okay? Don’t you dare get my car scratched or I’m going to make sure you’ll get grounded for a month,” he threatened but still threw me the keys. I caught it just in time and threw him back my own car keys. I hugged him in gratitude before running away to fetch his ride. It would’ve been faster and a lot easier for me to use my own car but the company prohibits me from using it unless greatly needed. They said the fans know it was mine and would probably cause trouble once they caught me driving leisurely on the streets.

 

I inserted the key into ignition and the car roared to life.

 

I drove away immediately before my manager changes his mind about letting me go.

 

I know I won’t be able to rest my mind in peace until I found the answers to my worries. That’s why I decided to head off towards our house to check if my hunch is right. I was getting this feeling that after Luhan’s incident, Hanna might decide to go there to hide. It was only a guess, but I’m willing to go this far to confirm the answer.

 

The house’s located in Mapo-gu, around Hongdae area, and it was by some sort of luck that the venue of our party is also situated in Hongdae. It only took me minutes to arrive.

 

I had just finished parking the car when I caught sight of Hanna’s Manager leaving the building.

 

My heart leapt.

 

“Ms. Kim?” I called out as I jogged towards her. She’s with Mr. Kang, Hanna’s driver.

 

I bowed my head to greet them.

 

“L-ssi? W-What are you doing here?” she blurted, looking shaken.

 

“I… I was…” I fumbled for words. “I was just going to check the house…”

 

Both she and Mr. Kang raised their brows in suspicion, but they didn’t ask any further.

 

Ms. Kim began fumbling her fingers, giving me the feeling there is something she wants to say.

 

We stood in silence for a few moments before she finally spoke, “Uhh… L-ssi… You see… Hanna…”

 

“Is she there inside?” I asked, unable to stop myself.

 

Ms. Kim’s eyes widened and she nodded.

 

“How did you know?” she wondered.

 

“I’ve read the news, Miss,” I admitted shyly. “That’s actually why I’m here. I have this feeling that Hanna might be locking herself up in here.”

 

Ms. Kim and Mr. Kang exchanged glances.

 

“We’re about to leave her. We’ve been waiting outside for an hour and she hasn’t come out. I’m afraid to leave her alone but I think space is what she specially needs right now,” she muttered gloomily.

 

 I heard myself sigh.

 

I was right. She’s not doing fine.

 

“I… I’ll go check on her, Miss. I know the password to the door, anyway,” I answered, suddenly feeling too eager to end the conversation.

 

Ms. Kim suddenly grabbed my hand, taking me by surprise.

 

“Thank you. Thank you,” she repeated in delight. “You’re the only one we could ask for this favor. Thank you so much, L-ssi.”

 

“N-No problem, Miss,” I stammered and pulled away. I gave the two of them an awkward bow before finally rushing up to the fourth floor. I unlocked the door in a whiz and pushed it open.

 

Gasping for breath, I stared at the empty living room.

 

I frowned.

 

I thought Ms. Kim said Hanna’s here.

 

I stepped in and was about to check the bedrooms when I caught something from the corner of my eye.

 

Beside the door, a balled-up figure of a person is sitting on the floor.

 

My heart seemed to drop straight to the ground.

 

“Hanna?” I blurted, realizing it could be no one else but her. She didn’t look up but I recognized her just from the sight of her clothes – they’re still the ones she wore during today’s filming.

 

Heart racing, I knelt beside her and forced her to look up.

 

Her eyes were rimmed red the moment they met mine.

 

“Hanna,” I spoke, my voice low and pained.

 

My hands slowly went up to cup her face. She didn’t pull away. Tears began to fall from her eyes again and I wiped them carefully with my thumb. We continued to gaze at one another and it hurts me so much to see how sad she is – to see how hurt she is. I actually felt like slowly breaking inside.

 

“Let’s get you to the couch,” I whispered to her as I helped her stand up.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter