Chapter 38

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 38

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“Y-Yobeoseyo?”  I groggily answered through the phone. It’s a Sunday and I’m on a leave so I’m overstaying on my bed, trying to get a longer sleep, until my phone rang and destroyed my entire plan.

 

“H-Hanna,” a voice just as raspy as mine spoke from the opposite line. I closed my eyes and groaned miserably.

 

“What do you want, Baek?” I demanded, annoyed for having him disturb me. It’s not always that I get to have a rest day so I’m trying to make the most out of it. But here he is, making that dream impossible. So much for a peace of mind.

 

“C-Can you come over?” he spoke again in the same husky voice. There was a slight pause and the sounds of coughing from the background before he continued, “I-I’m sick.”

 

I opened my eyes just to roll them.

 

“Oh really? You’re sick?” I repeated with dark sarcasm. “Then stand up, eat, and drink some medicine. After that, go back to sleep. You’ll get better, you’ll see.”

 

 I pulled the phone away from my ear and was about to end the call when I heard him say, “I-I’m serious, Hanna. I’m really sick.”

 

His words were followed by another round of coughing. I only sighed and shook my head in disbelief.

 

Why is he taking this too far? Weren’t following me around the company and annoying me every single time we’re together enough for him? Does he really have to go all the way to infuriating me on my only day off work?

 

“Well, I’m serious too, Baek. I want to rest and I need some space. I’m begging you. Just for today. Stop bothering me,” I said. I was about to end the call again when I remember to add, “And please, don’t even try to call me again. I mean it. You can irk me all you want tomorrow. Just please spare me for today.”

 

I pressed ‘end’ and hid my phone away underneath my pillow. I pulled the duvet cover over my head and went back to sleep.

 

 

***

 

 

“UGH! SERIOUSLY?!” I exclaimed, sitting upright. It hasn’t been hours since Baekhyun called and here goes my phone again – blaring loudly, successfully interrupting my slumber. I hit ‘answer’ forcibly and spoke with teeth tightly gritted, “I already told you not to---“

 

“Hanna!” Manager Song’s voice cut me off. I pulled my phone away to check the caller and sure enough, her name welcomed me in large letters. I cleared my throat and quickly tried to recompose myself.

 

“H-Hello? Y-Yes, Manager?” I asked, trying to pretend that the fact that I was disturbed from my sleep for the second time doesn’t irritate the hell out of me. Why are these people making it so difficult for me? I just want to rest, for goodness sake!

 

“I know you’re on a work leave right now but I really need you here at the dorm quick,” she spoke, her tone undeniably tinged with alarm. It made me perk up.

 

“Why? What’s wrong, Manager? Did something happen?” I inquired as I pushed the cover away from my body. If Manager Song says she needs me there, then I have no other option but to follow.

 

“Baekhyun’s sick,” she answered which made me freeze on my way out the bed.

 

“What?” I blurted, suddenly unsure whether to believe her or not. Is she in with Baekhyun’s joke, too? Is she just trying to help him out?

 

“He’s sick, Hanna. Jongdae said he’s been having high fever ever since last night. He already made him drink medicines and gave him cold compress but the fever is still yet to subside. He’s practically burning up in here,” she explained.

 

There’s a small part inside me that doesn’t want to believe but the alarm and worry in Manager Song’s voice can’t be faked that easily unless she’s an actress – a really good one at that.

 

“No one’s available to stay with him. I need to accompany the boys in their magazine schedule today while Ms. Kim’s out on another business meeting. There’s no one else I could ask for this favor, Hanna. I wouldn’t want to leave Baekhyun on the hands of a random company staff. I’d be more at peace if he’s with you,” she continued pleadingly.

 

In the end, all I could do was sigh in defeat and surrender.

 

“Fine. I understand, Manager. I’ll be on my way.”

 

 

***

 

 

“Where are you going? I thought you’re on a leave today,” Mom asked when I entered the kitchen to scavenge some late breakfast. I wove through the refrigerator and found some apples. I grabbed one and quickly took a bite. This would do.

 

“Manager Song needs me at the dorm,” I answered while chewing. “Baekhyun’s sick and no one’s around to take care of him.”

 

A sly smile crept into her lips.

 

“Oh, so you’re taking care of him?” she asked mockingly.

 

I nodded before pouring myself a glass of water.

 

“I don’t have a choice,” I muttered with a heavy sigh. “Do we have any food available for someone with a high fever, Mom?”

 

“I don’t think so, dear,” she said as she scanned the refrigerator contents. “I have yet to cook anything. Do you want me to prepare some porridge? It would only take a short while.”

 

I quickly shook my head and chugged the water down.

 

“It’s okay, Mom. I’ll just cook by myself when I get there,” I murmured, leaning in to kiss her cheek. “Baekhyun’s probably already dying in there. Just tell Dad and Jin I was out, okay? Bye!”

 

I dashed out of the house and caught sight of the familiar van parked in front. Mr. Kang’s already waiting for me just like Manager Song had promised.

 

“I thought I won’t be seeing you today, Ma’am,” he spoke, eyeing me through the rearview mirror.

 

I slid the door closed and scoffed.

 

“Someone suddenly had the nerve to get sick,” I spat bitterly. “So here I am on nurse duties.”

 

Mr. Kang chuckled and started the engine.

 

“I’m sure Mr. Byun’s going to recover as soon as he sees you,” I heard him mumble before driving away.

 

 

***

 

 

The dorm was already empty by the time I arrived. Successfully unlocking the door, I stepped inside and checked the kitchen for their food supplies. It’s going to be a huge trouble if they don’t have anything available. I can’t risk going into the supermarket alone at a time like this. Mr. Kang has already left and it’s not like I can tag Baekhyun along with me. Thankfully, there was a decent amount of ingredients available to pull off a chicken porridge and some other easy dishes.

 

I headed upstairs right after to check on my patient. I knocked on the door thrice just to make him aware of my presence before entering. I have only been inside his room for a few times since he’s sharing it with Jongdae. The room was fairly neat considering how it’s being occupied by two full-grown males.

 

Baekhyun was lying on the bed with his back facing my direction. I made my way towards him and realized he was fast asleep. Kneel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter