Chapter 22

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 22

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

I woke up with the glare of sunlight hitting my eyes. I groaned and shifted on my chest, blindly pushing the comforter away from my body. Popping an eye open, I squinted towards the sliding doors only to realize I have forgotten to draw the curtains close again.

 

“Aish,” I groaned for the second time, opening both eyes lazily and crawling off the bed to accomplish the unfinished task. This was the last day of the boys’ resting period so pretty much all of them are still away, enjoying the last few hours of their liberty. The only ones left to join me in the dormitory are the Chinese fellows – Yixing and Tao – who decided not to return to their country. Assuming the two are still in bed, I sauntered back to mine to continue my interrupted sleep. There’s no use in preparing breakfast today, anyway, I thought as I peeked at my bedside clock and realized it was already 9:14 a.m.

 

I was about to bury myself underneath my comforter when my attention was caught by the foreign looking object resting on my bedside table next to my alarm clock.

 

“What---“ I murmured as I reached out but broke off eventually as soon as I realized what the thing was. My eyes widened and my mouth dropped. I was out of my bed within the blink of an eye and inside the bathroom – brushing my teeth and washing my face rapidly as if all hell broke loose and it’s coming after me. I was running out of my room and down the stairs in my pajamas, the object clutched tightly in my hand.

 

I was panting so hard when I reached the living room, my chest rising and falling as I tried to catch my breath. Lay stared at me with the television remote in his hand while Tao remained gaping with a toast hanging in his mouth.

 

“O-Oppa…” I began, still unable to speak properly. “P-Perhaps… D-Did any of you bought me a gift?”

 

Both of them frowned in confusion and shook their heads.

 

“Hanna…” Yixing spoke, putting the remote control down and scratching his head. “Tao and I went shopping yesterday but we didn’t but you anything. We assumed it’s the other boys’ duty since they’re the ones who went out of town.”

 

“Yeah. Yixing hyung and I didn’t even get as far as Itaewon. We’re sorry, Hanna,” Tao added, genuinely apologetic.

 

“No! No! I didn’t mean it that way!” I immediately backpedalled. “I am not asking for any gifts, oppa. But… are you sure you didn’t get me anything?”

 

The two men seemed to get more confused by my opposing statements. I sighed impatiently and just went on to my next question.

 

“Then, perhaps, did any of the boys arrive while I was asleep?”

 

Yixing and Tao exchanged glances as if to search for an answer. After a few moments, Tao spoke, “Suho and Minseok hyung arrived a while ago. Though I’m not quite sure about this one but I think Baekhyun hyung also came back early in the morning.”

 

“He did?” I blurted without thinking, making the boys raise a questioning brow at me. I panicked. “I-I mean… they did? They already came back?”

 

Yixing nodded.

 

“Yeah. They’re sleeping upstairs,” he responded innocently.

 

I pursed my lips before smiling at them and excusing myself. I ran up the stairs again, my whole attention focused on the object inside my hand, when I found myself crashing against the weight of someone. Hands immediately flew to my elbows, steadying me to keep me from tumbling down the staircase. I looked up in fear only to have my breath taken away by the person standing before me.

 

“B-Baek…” I muttered stupidly. I was well aware of our faces only inches away from each other and our bodies very much compressed. My heart picked up instantly and I pulled away from him, afraid that he might feel my palpitations.

 

I cleared my throat before breaking the awkward silence, “W-When did you come back?”

 

“Around 4 a.m.,” he replied bluntly.

 

I nodded and instinctively began shifting on my feet.

 

“Stop biting your lip,” Baekhyun suddenly ordered which made me let go of my lower lip. Goodness, I didn’t even realize I was biting it.

 

He sighed impatiently and gave a look that made me cower back.

 

“What is it?” he demanded, eyes narrowing into slits.

 

I gulped and stuttered, “What what?”

 

He blew his bangs of his face and gazed back at me with a meaningful grin.

 

“Come on, Hanna. I know you well enough to know when something’s bothering you or when there’s something you want to say,” he pointed in his temptingly low and husky voice. I gulped again and felt my heart race thrice its normal speed. He began to step towards me, making me draw back ‘til I felt my back hit the cold metal railings of the staircase. He placed his arms on my both sides, completely imprisoning me, before leaning closer. My breath hitches and his grin grew even wider. Dang, he noticed.

 

“Now. Spill,” he whispered dangerously and I found myself opening and closing my mouth like an idiot. God, why is he doing this to me?

 

Unsuccessful in finding my voice, I decided to settle on my next option. I raised my hand and let it hang in front of his face. His eyes shifted to gaze at it with clear lack of interest. Slowly, I opened it to reveal the small shiny object resting on my palm.

 

Recognition flickered in Baekhyun’s features before it disappeared as if it hasn’t been there at all. But unfortunately for him, I also know him so well. And I know I was right with what I saw.

 

“Hmm… that’s cute,” he muttered indifferently before extricating his hands and descending the stairs. I scoffed and immediately grabbed him by the shoulder.

 

“This is from you, isn’t it?” I demanded, my tone hard and confident.

 

He turned around and with an amused smile, replied, “What? Why would I give you that? And besides, where the hell would I even get something like that?”

 

Anger slowly boiled inside me. I dropped my hand, balling it up again into a fist. I could feel the pointed portion of the shell digging into the skin of my palm but I felt nothing – not even the slightest bit of pain. I was too absorbed with Baekhyun and that annoying smile he has on his face. I never imagined myself hating to see him smile.

 

“Jeju. You went to Jeju, did you?” I accused and even on my own ears, I know I sounded stupid. But I know. I can feel it. And I am sure of it. I knew where this shell came from the moment I laid my eyes on it. It was only an intuition, but I barely get an intuition wrong.

 

Baekhyun laughed and shook his head.

 

“What are you talking about, Hanna?” he said with a look that says ‘I am going out of my mind’. “I went to Busan, okay? To Busan. You can even ask Manager Song if you don’t want to believe me. We went there together.”

 

“But there are beaches in Busan, too, right?” I argued back, not planning to back down. “You could have easily picked this up on the seashore and---“

 

“I didn’t go to a beach or any body of water, if that’s what you’re saying,” he cut me off with a serious look in his eyes. “I went to Busan to visit my relatives. We went to a restaurant then I stayed in their house to play with my cousins. That’s all I did yesterday. No more, no less.”

 

Tears filled my eyes as I tried to think of anything to answer back. I just can’t get defeated like this. I know what I saw and I am sure of what I’m feeling. This shell came from Jeju and I can’t think of any other person who would give it to me rather than him.

 

“Just get some sleep, Hanna. You look like you really need some rest,” he murmured softly before walking down the stairs, leaving me in a complete puddle of mess. I sighed and wiped my eyes harshly with the back of my hand before stomping back inside my room. I banged the door shut and stalked towards the veranda.

 

If he’s not going to tell me the truth then I know someone who will, I thought angrily as I opened my phone to make the call.

 

The person answered on the third ring.

 

“Hanna?” dad’s voice resonated from the speaker.

 

“Dad. I have something to ask you real quick,” I spoke, my breaths quickening due to tension.

 

The other line was silent for a moment before he answered, “Sure, dear. What is it?”

 

“Did Baekhyun go there?” the words were out of my mouth in the speed of light.

 

The other person was silent again before I heard him burst out laughing.

 

“Aigoo,” I heard him mutter as he coughed. “What are you talking about, sweetie? Why would Baekhyun come here?”

 

I closed my eyes and began to massage my temples. I am so sick of making a complete fool of myself but I just can’t shake this feeling inside me. I know that shell came from Jeju and I know Baekhyun was the one who gave it to me. I’d bet everything I have for it.

 

“Tell me the truth, Dad,” I snapped and regretted it almost immediately. I hate it when I speak to my parents disrespectfully but I just can’t control myself right now. My mind’s a mess. And I don’t understand why everyone’s lying to me.

 

“Well, can you first tell me where this sudden question is coming from, darling?” he asked ever so patiently.

 

I puffed my cheeks and explained, “When I woke up this morning I saw a seashell on my desk. And I know where it came from, Dad. I’ve lived beside the shores of Jeju for 20 years. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter