Chapter 35

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 35

 

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

 

There was a short shuffling noise from the opposite line before the person spoke again, “What do you want to talk about?”

 

The sharpness and edge to his voice made me smile. I replied with the same intensity, “I’m sure you already know who I’m talking about.”

 

“Oh,” he muttered coldly before continuing, “I see you’re interested in her again.”

 

“I’m worried about her,” I spoke slowly through gritted teeth. “I want to know exactly what happened during the day she got kidnapped. You didn’t tell everything to Manager Song, did you?”

 

“I did,” he snapped. None of us obviously loved the idea of talking to each other. “I told her and the police everything I saw. Hanna texted me a location in Hongdae where I found your company’s van parked near. She was there with the man inside one of the rooms and she was singing. I was watching outside when the man suddenly tried to assault her which led to all the blood and mess.”

 

“She was singing?” I repeated, slightly puzzled. “What was she singing?”

 

“How would I know? The room was well-soundproofed.” he answered back with dripping sarcasm. I bit my lip and breathed in deeply. Stay calm, Baekhyun. Stay calm. A moment of silence passed by before he added, “But if I recall the music right. I think it’s her song ‘Heaven’.”

 

“So that’s why,” I blurted absentmindedly.

 

“That’s why what?” the man asked, his voice getting louder as he grew worried. “Did something happen to Hanna? Is something wrong with her?”

 

“Nothing that you need to know,” I muttered lowly which he rewarded with a scoff from the other line. “I’m hanging up, hyung. Thanks for the information.”

 

My phone was only a few inches away from my ear when I heard him call out.

 

“What?” I asked in a less than friendly tone.

 

“Stay away from her,” he threatened and the way his voice sounded made it clear there is no room for other options or further arguments. “You already left her, didn’t you? You dumped her and left her downright miserable. What right do you think you have to come back?”

 

My hands clenched into fists as anger surged within me. Who does he think he is to talk to me that way? He’s only been with Hanna for what, months? Does he really think that gives him enough right to threaten me? Does he really think those few months are enough for him to have a claim towards her?

 

I chuckled darkly before speaking, “I’m sorry, hyung, but I don’t think you have any say on what I want to do. I’ll do as I wish and I won’t let you stop me.”

 

“Stay away from her, Baekhyun,” he growled, revealing just how mad he is at the moment. “Stop playing with her emotions. You already hurt her enough. Stop acting like a brat trying to reclaim something you already left just because you saw someone getting fond of it. Hanna’s not your toy. And frankly, she’s not yours anymore.”

 

“And you’re saying what? That she’s yours?” I spat challengingly.

 

“No,” I heard him whisper. “But I’m trying my best to make that happen so back off.”

 

This time, I smirked. Really smirk.

 

“It’s on then,” I announced, my competitive side slowly resurrecting. “Do what you plan to do and I’ll do mine. But I’m warning you, hyung. Making a person fall in love with you is much more difficult than making a person fall in love with you ‘again’.”

 

There was a brief silence and I could tell the other person was clearly taken aback.

 

When he spoke again, he said, “I won’t be so sure about that, Baekhyun-ssi. Hanna hates you more than you can imagine.”

 

The line ended after that. I listened at the buzzing through the phone, my hand twisting tightly around it. Anger is enveloping me in a state where I’m so close to exploding but I shut my eyes and tried to calm myself through deep breaths.

 

He’s only trying to mess with you, Baekhyun. You don’t need to fall for his tricks, I reminded myself before stuffing my phone inside my back pocket and heading back to join the boys. I’m going to take back what has once been mine and what has always been rightfully mine. The game has started and I’m going to show you how it’s rightfully done, Kim Myungsoo-ssi.

 

 

***

 

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“There’s a delivery for you, sweetie,” Mom spoke as her head poked through my mini-library’s door. I have accomplished one of my many goals in life: I have built myself a private library where I shall compile all my books and read them in peace. I am spending more time locked away in here compared to my room to be honest but my parents doesn’t seem to mind.

 

“What is it, Mom?” I replied, keeping my nose stuck on the book at hand.

 

“Flowers,” she said simply as she made her way to place the bouquet next to me on the table. I plucked the card off and read the note silently.

 

 

I hope by the time you receive these flowers you’re already feeling well. Recover quick, please. I’m worried about you.

 

 

The note didn’t indicate any name of the sender but I know better.

 

“So? Who did it come from?” my mother asked impatiently, a hopeful look plastered on her face. Who is she expecting to send these flowers?

 

“It’s from Baekhyun, mom,” I replied, uneasily the flowers with the tips of my fingers.

 

She picked up the note I dropped on the table and frowned.

 

“How did you know? There’s no name written in here or anything.”

 

“Tulips,” I breathed as a matter of factly. “When it’s tulips, it’s Baekhyun. There could be no one else.”

 

And of course it would come from him. He’d already sent me loads of stuffs these past few days. He sent me baskets of fruits after I got discharged from the hospital and another bouquet of tulips when I resumed promotions. More than that, he’d text me and call me every time we’re apart and cling onto me every time we’re together. It’s scaring me, to be honest, but more than anything… I feel happy. I know it’s stupid. But I’m happy. And I am indulged in way too much happiness to even think about the consequences of letting him get this close to me again. I know I already swore I’d let go but I also promised to stay happy, right? And right now he’s doing nothing but make me happy so I might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

 

“Is he trying to get back with you, Hanna?” mom’s soft whisper brought me back to the present.

 

I turned to her and blinked a few times before answering, “No, Mom. He’s not.”

 

“Are you sure?” she asked, obviously doubting my response.

 

“Yes, Mom,” I said with a nod. “He hasn’t told me anything. And besides, I don’t think he’s planning to. We already decided to remain friends. Maybe this is him being friendly to me.”

 

Mom pursed her lips before crossing her arms against her chest. She inclined her head to the side and with a small smile muttered, “It doesn’t always have to be said, Hanna. Sometimes, actions are more than enough to express things words would do little to give justice to.”

 

I frowned.

 

“Are you saying you’re not against Baekhyun trying to get back with me?”

 

She smiled and patted my head affectionately.

 

“Baekhyun or Myungsoo. I honestly don’t care whoever you ended up with. I just want to see my daughter happy so I’ll stick with the one who makes her the happiest.”

 

I could only stare at her in daze as she chuckled and leaned in to peck my forehead. She ruffled my hair slightly before stepping out of the room, leaving me alone to deal with my mangled thoughts.

 

 

***

 

 

“You’re aware the show’s about to end, right?” Manager Song spoke to me a few days later. We’re currently at the company, having arrived after my performance at today’s M Countdown, and once again I have flowers on hand. Baekhyun really needs to stop sending me these or my house’s surely going to turn into a tulip-garden.

 

“Show? What show?” I asked, only partially paying attention.

 

“We Got Married,” she said which made me stop on my tracks.

 

“Really?” I exclaimed, my eyes wide. I still can’t seem to grasp whether I’m surprised or lonely or glad or all of the above. “The show’s going to be over?”

 

Manager Song rolled her eyes impatiently.

 

“Of course not the whole show, Hanna. I’m only talking about you and L’s time on the show. The contract expires after you get married and you already did. It’s only by request of the show’s producers that we’re allowing you to shoot a few more scenes before you go.”

 

I mouth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter