Chapter 13

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 13

 

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

 

I hurled my fist against Hanna’s door, loud enough to shake the entire dorm. I could care less about the boys waking up and catching me. They’re probably knocked dead by jetlag, anyway. All I know is the moment Manager Song broke the news to me, I can’t think about anything else but flying back to Seoul and confront Hanna.

 

Two weeks. You have two weeks before she leaves, Baekhyun, Manager Song’s words replayed inside my head.

 

I heaved a deep breath and continued to knock quicker and louder.

 

“Just a moment!” Hanna’s voice echoed from inside. I ignored her and continued on what I was doing like my whole life depended on it. Because honesty, it does.

 

“Sheesh, I said wait---“ her words were cut off the moment she hauled the door open and spotted me. I still had my fist raised up high and I let it drop, my breath hitching as soon as I caught sight of her damp and tousled hair. She was only in her bathrobe and the sudden thought of what was lying underneath those layers sent my face burning, making me look away.

 

“Baek?” she gasped as if the idea of me standing before her is so much to take in. I lowered my head and kept my eyes focused on the ground. I caught sight of her bare feet and I have to blink many times to try clear my head.

 

No time for dirty thoughts, Byun Baekhyun, I glowered to myself.

 

“C-Can I come in?” I murmured and just the idea of entering her room again made my heart lurch.

 

Hanna hesitated for a moment before finally opening her door wider and letting me step in.

 

“If you must,” she whispered, walking away.

 

I took no time to scan her room. It was the same as ever – same neat drawers, same organized stuffs, same sweet rosy scent. The only thing that seemed completely out of place in her room is her vanity mirror, covered with various photographs tucked haphazardly around its corners. A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips.

 

She still hasn’t changed. She’s still my Hanna.

 

“So what?” Hanna’s voice snapped me out of my reverie and threw me back to reality. She was standing a few steps away from me, facing the closed glass doors connected to the veranda.

 

I heaved another deep breath and busied myself fumbling at the photographs as I spoke, “I heard you’re moving out.”

 

She was silent for a moment before I heard her hiss, “Manager Song.”

 

“Why the sudden decision?” I asked, my hand touching a random photo of her and her brother Ryu Jin. My chest tightened the moment I saw her blinding smile on the picture. I haven’t seen this smile for so long, I thought longingly.

 

“I want to be with my parents,” she murmured and I know her well enough to hear the reluctance in her voice.

 

“Can’t you just stay?” I whispered, my voice sounding so soft and needy amidst my attempt of sounding aloof.

 

“Why should I?” she snapped and even with her back turned to me, I can see her struggling to keep herself together just by the slump of her shoulders.

 

“For the boys,” I answered swiftly.

 

Hanna shifted on her feet and sniffed before speaking, “They’ll understand.”

 

Her words tugged at my heart. She’s right, I know it. The boys would try to talk her out of leaving but eventually, they’ll give up and just let her go. But I am not like them. I won’t let her move away.

 

I let my hand leave the photo as I walked closer to her, stopping so that we’re just a few inches apart. My breath hitches and I heard her sudden intake of breath, too. It almost delighted me, the fact that I’m not feeling these sweet sensations alone.

 

Biting my lip hard, I whispered, “For me.”

 

Hanna spun around so quickly her scent hit me so abrupt and so strong my mind went completely blank.

 

“What?” she blurted, her eyes hard; her brows furrowed. “For you? Why would I stay here just because of you?”

 

I felt my hands began to quiver so I balled them into fists. I gulped before answering, “Because I need you here.”

 

Hanna’s eyes softened and for a moment I thought she was going to say yes and agree to me but that look was gone in an instant and was replaced by a pained and hardened expression.

 

“Need me? Me?” she demanded before scoffing sarcastically. “Nice of you to say that after cheating on me.”

 

I flinched.

 

She took a step closer to me before crossing her arms against her chest. She spoke, “We’re over, Baekhyun. Weren’t you the one who decided that? So why are you here begging me to stay when you’re the one who literally pushed me away?”

 

I could feel myself reach the verge of crying but I bit the insides of my mouth and swallowed all the tears back.

 

“Because I’m selfish, Hanna,” I muttered under my breath. “I know I’m the reason we broke up and I know I don’t have the right to say these things to you anymore. But I’m a really selfish person. I’m still aware of my heart fluttering and my stomach squirming in delight every time I see you. I’m still aware of the warmth and happiness washing over me whenever you’re near me. And I’m sorry but I don’t think I’m prepared enough to live without those things. So please don’t go and just stay.”

 

I watched tears trickle down her face but stoned myself from trying to wipe them away.

 

“S-So you mean…” she began, her eyes wide and hopeful. “Y-You still love me?”

 

I felt my gut twist in pain the moment I heard the words tumble out of my mouth. I stared at her, aching to say yes and admit the truth. But I know it’s already too late. I’ve already made my decision and I have no choice but to see through it ‘til the end.

 

“No,” I replied breathlessly, turning away so that I won’t see the intense pain stamped in her features. “It’s not that… I meant the things I used to feel towards you, I can still feel them… But it doesn’t mean I still love you… It’s not like that anymore…”

 

“Then why did you even bother saying those things to me?!” she exclaimed, her cheeks now flushed and completely drenched with tears.

 

I tried to make my gaze as cold and indifferent as I looked back at her.

 

“I already told you, I’m selfish,” I said lazily. “I’d rather have you close to me to keep on feeling those sweet sensations than have you gone. It’ll be lonely to not feel my heart flutter anymore, you know?”

 

Her whole features twisted into extreme disgust.

 

“What the hell happened to you?” she breathed as she gazed at me as if I’m a whole new person – as if I’m someone she never met. “What happened to the Baekhyun I know?”

 

“This is the Baekhyun you know, Hanna,” I said, taking another step closer. “This is me before I met you. This is me before I fell in love with you.”

 

I paused before shrugging and quirking my lips into a grin.

 

“But I don’t love you anymore. So here, meet the new me.”

 

I was anticipating for her screams and shouts and loud curses but I never expected the swift stinging pain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter