Chapter 32

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 32

 

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

 

We were in the middle of listening to Manager Song as she read our month’s schedule when a round of loud and erratic footsteps coming from outside grabbed our full attention. Everyone’s head turned towards the practice room’s double doors as it burst open, revealing a breathless and panting Ms. Kim and Mr. Kang.

 

“What happened? What are you two doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be with Hanna?” Manager Song spoke, her brows already furrowed in anger. If there is something she hates the most, it is going off schedule. And clearly, Ms. Kim and Mr. Kang here are breaking that rule.

 

“Ji Hye,” Ms. Kim spoke, her hand clutching her chest as she tried to calm her uneven breathing. She gazed up at Manager Song and the horror in her eyes and voice were evident as she whispered, “H-Hanna… S-She’s gone…”

 

 

***

 

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

My heart’s racing wildly inside my chest as I forced myself to stay calm. My eyes kept darting towards the window to the sharp object inside the stranger’s hand and then back. I don’t know what to do. I have no idea what to do. My mind’s starting to go fuzzy due to panic and it’s taking much of my strength to keep myself from crying.

 

This won’t do. I can’t cry. Not right now. Not in this situation.

 

I shifted my eyes back to the window and willed myself to recognize where I am – just the slightest bit of recognition to know where I am being taken. One of the green signs on the highway was enough to let me know where we’re headed to: Hongdae.

 

What in the world are we going to do in Hongdae?

 

Knowing where I am at least gave me a small feeling of control over the situation. It was enough to strip my mind off the horror even for a little while.

 

Hands shaking uncontrollably, I fidgeted on my jean’s pocket – carefully trying to take my phone out without the man noticing. He can’t see me. He can’t catch me. Because I’ll be dead for sure if he does.

 

I managed to successfully pull my phone using one hand and I had to inwardly pat myself on the back for removing its lock password the day after the wedding. I felt no use of it anymore, anyway. There’s nothing else for me to hide after I deleted every bit of Baekhyun’s messages and pictures in my phone. I blindly pressed for the messaging button, silently praying to God that my finger’s landing on the right keys. The memory of the beach reminded me of Baekhyun and I was close enough to texting him when I changed my mind and decided to text someone else.

 

I gazed outside the window again but instead of the highway, my eyes caught glimpse of noraebangs lining each sides of the road. I tried to remember one particular name and typed it in.

 

 

Su Noraebang. Hongdae.

 

 

I hit send and I only have enough reason to think about deleting the message when a bump in the road caused my phone to slip away from my hand. It fell onto the van’s floor with a faint thud.

 

I bit my lip to the point it bled as I slowly looked up to catch the man already staring at me through the rearview mirror. There was a wicked glint in his eyes that immediately erased any hint of confidence I felt before and replaced it with utter dread.

 

He’s going to kill me. He’s going to kill me, I thought in defeat as I closed my eyes and braced myself for what is about to come.

 

But nothing happened.

 

Instead, I heard him speak in a surprisingly even tone, “Give me your phone.”

 

I jumped in my seat and immediately fumbled on the floor, desperately searching for the object. I held my breath the moment I found it and shakily handed it to him.

 

“You think I’m stupid, don’t you?” he said as he used the hand once holding the knife to check my phone. “Who did you message? Your manager? One of EXO? Your… husband?”

 

He spoke the last word as if was the dirtiest thing in the world.

 

I flinched.

 

“I-I wasn’t able to text anyone…” I stammered, hoping the sincerity in my eyes is enough to persuade him. He scanned through my phone for a few more moments before he opened his side window and threw it away. I choke back a scream.

 

“Trust me, it’ll be better if you’d just sit back there and behave yourself,” he murmured dangerously. “I won’t think twice about hurting you or any of your friends. So might as well not drag them into this situation.”

 

I heaved a shaky breath and leaned back against my seat, the stranger’s words ringing in my head over and over.

 

Might as well not drag them into this situation… Might as well not drag them into this situation…

 

I bit my lip again to keep myself from sobbing loudly.

 

I wasn’t able hold my tears any longer and they managed to escape my eyes.

 

Too late, I thought in horror. I already dragged him into this.

 

 

***

 

 

[Kim Myung Soo’s POV]

 

 

I was seated languidly on our house’s couch, feasting on a bowl of popcorn I bought on my way here. SBS Inkigayo’s already started and I’m about to watch my wife’s fourth performance this week. I know this may sound crazy and a little bit creepy but I’ve waited and watched her every stage. Even when I’m in Japan or in the middle of a concert rehearsal, I’d make sure to pause for a while and find time to stream her performance. That’s how special she is for me. Count in the fact that I still replayed her videos once they’re posted on Youtube before downloading it.

 

I felt my phone buzz somewhere on the couch and I tried to search for it without having to remove my eyes from the television screen. I know it’s still long before she performs but what if she suddenly pops onscreen? I won’t forgive myself for missing it.

 

My hand wrapped around a rough material, probably the bouquet of roses I prepared for her. We’re scheduled to film right after Inkigayo but I decided to come to our house earlier than scheduled. I can’t bring myself to watch together with the other members only to have my concentration ruined by their endless jokes and mockery. I want to watch Hanna by myself so that I could put all my attention on her.

 

I found my phone after a few minutes and I used my thumb to swipe the screen. I tried to read the message using my peripheral vision but failed. Sighing impatiently, I forced my eyes away from the television screen and shifted it towards my phone’s smaller one.

 

This text better be worth it, I growled inside my head before proceeding to reading it.

 

It was a text from Hanna.

 

 

Su Noraebang. Hongdae.

 

 

My brows furrowed in confusion.

 

What’s this? Is she asking me to meet her there? What about our plans for dinner? Is she bailing out on me?

 

I was about to key in a reply when the show suddenly changed into the breaking news section. I looked up and felt even more confused when Hanna’s face came flashing onscreen.

 

I read the news headline, read it again and again until the meaningless words finally made perfect sense. I was in my coat and out of the house in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter