Chapter 2

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 2

 

[Kim Myung Soo’s POV]

 

 

My heart was drumming so fast, my whole body wet with perspiration; by the time I arrived outside our unit. I stopped in front of the door before entering and breathed in and out. I can’t show up to Hanna like this. I literally looked like someone who just came from an intense workout. I wiped my sweat off using my jacket and tried to calm myself down again.

 

Mind control… Mind control… I concentrated while keeping my eyes closed.

 

Once ready, I keyed in the door’s password and entered. Hanna’s seated exactly the way I left her. She looked like she didn’t even move.

 

“Orders’ here, Ma’am,” I announced as I walked in, placing the food on our small living room table.

 

Hanna clapped her hands in delight and reached out to grab a can of beer.

 

“Not so fast, my lady,” I said, snatching the beer away.

 

She frowned and held her hand out – palm up.

 

“You can’t drink while your stomach’s empty,” I scolded, stashing the cans of beer away. I opened the box of seasoned chicken, wrapped one in tissue, and handed it to her. She took it without another word and began munching off.

 

Hanna must have been starving for she had already eaten five pieces of chicken while I’m barely finished with my second. I can’t help but stare at her in wonder as the bones of chicken continued to pile in front of her. She really isn’t a picky eater.

 

“Stop staring at me, oppa,” she murmured, already on her seventh chicken.

 

A blush crept on my cheeks and I looked away in embarrassment.

 

She continued eating.

 

“Can we drink now?” she said as she wiped the grease off her fingers. I put my chicken down and opened a can, giving it to her. She smelled it and cringed, her wrinkled nose made me burst to laughter.

 

“Are you sure you can drink that, Hanna?” I asked as I grabbed a drink for myself.

 

“I want to try it,” she answered with determination.

 

I shrugged and held my can up.

 

“Cheers.”

 

Hanna looked dumbfounded for a moment but she easily caught up and raised her can.

 

“Cheers,” she repeated with a smile.

 

I took a swig of beer and caught Hanna observing me. I raised an eyebrow at her.

 

“D-Do you just… drink it? Like… just drink it…” she stammered adorably. I smiled at her and nodded.

 

She placed the can on and sipped. She was emotionless for a moment but when the taste of the beer finally kicked in, her face brightened.

 

“This is not bad,” she said, taking a mouthful this time. I tried to stop her, afraid that she might get drunk, but she had already swallowed. I froze and waited for her reaction.

 

She sighed dreamily.

 

Hanna emptied her can right before mine. I couldn’t focus on drinking because I’d constantly have to check on her to see if she’s still doing fine.

 

She put down her can and reached out for another.

 

“You’ll get yourself drunk, Hanna,” I warned, holding her hand to stop her.

 

“Isn’t that why we’re drinking? To get drunk?” she answered back with a smirk.

 

I let my hand drop and stared at her hard.

 

“Why are you doing this to yourself, Hanna?” I demanded, finally reaching my limit. I let her cry herself out and didn’t ask a thing although there are millions of questions bugging my mind. I let her have her space. I obeyed her when she asked for beer, knowing Ms. Kim would most probably kill me once she knew about it. I gave her everything she wanted and needed but seeing her like this, seeing her torment herself, is too much for me to handle.

 

Hanna must have sensed the sudden drop of my mood for she put her arm down, all humor drained out of her features.

 

She looked at me in the eye and spoke, “I just want to forget, Myungsoo.”

 

“Forget?” I repeated in exasperation. “You’ll get yourself drunk because you want to forget? Then what? All your problems, you’ll remember them anyway. Once you turn sober, every little thing you are trying to forget will come back. Believe me, Hanna, it isn’t worth it.”

 

“It is,” she said, so low I almost didn’t hear it. She’s looking down now and I’m starting to fear she’s about to start crying again.

 

“I just want to forget everything. Even for just one night, I want to act like nothing happened. Is it too wrong for me to do that? Is it too wrong for me to try to feel happy again even just for a few hours?” she burst out, tears trickling down her cheeks.

 

Her hands turned to fists and they were already shaking. I fought back the urge to hold her.

 

“Just let me do this, please,” she continued in a whimper. “Just let me forget everything for a while. I promise, I’ll face them all tomorrow. But for now… just… just please…”

 

Hanna continued to sob and I couldn’t do anything but stare at her miserably. I wanted to punch myself for being such a jerk. I should have just kept my mouth shut and let her do what she wants. I should’ve known better – she wouldn’t be like this without a reason.

 

Swallowed up in guilt, I took Hanna’s face in my hands and forced her to look up. I wiped her face using the tissues from the restaurant and opened up a can of beer. I held it out to her.

 

She scoffed and said, “What’s that a piece offering?”

 

I held the beer closer and replied, “Please accept my apologies, Ma’am.”

 

Hanna took the can without hesitance and drank. I emptied mine and reached out for my second. We toasted and continued to drink.

 

It was already passed midnight when Hanna decided to give up. She has downed three cans of beer and is already beginning to sway side by side.

 

She achieved her goal. She really got drunk.

 

“Let’s get you to the room. You need to sleep,” I muttered as I tried to pull her to her feet. She chuckled and fell back down on the couch.

 

I sighed and scratched my head.

 

“I’ll carry you, okay?” I asked before lifting her in my arms. I wasn’t really accustomed to carrying heavy objects and it was a relief Hanna doesn’t weigh that much. I headed off towards our bedroom where I carefully placed her on the bed. I was in the middle of fixing her pillow when Hanna suddenly turned to my direction, our faces only inches apart.

 

I froze.

 

I’ve always wondered how Hanna looks up close and the moment has come for me to find the answer.

 

I stared at her – the double lids of her eyes, the perfect curve of her nose, the perfect shape of her lips…

 

I blinked, realizing I’ve been going too close. I shook my head and pulled away. I was very much aware of my heart racing when I draped the covers over her walked away.

 

“Goodnight, Hanna,” I whispered before turning off the lights.

 

I headed back to the living room and sat on the couch. I couldn’t think straight. My mind was buzzing with countless images of Hanna, my heart beating so fast I feel like it’s about to burst.

 

I breathed deep, grabbed the can of leftover beer, and drank it all in one gulp.

 

“Get yourself together, Kim Myungsoo,” I blurted, slapping myself over and over. I went to the bathroom to wash my face then settled back on the couch to prepare for sleep. I’m sure it was almost past 2:00 in the morning when I finally dozed off and even in my dreams… Hanna was still there with me.

 

 

***

 

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

I woke up with my whole face covered in sweat.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter