Chapter 34

Star-Crossed: The Finale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 34

 

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

 

“So you’ll basically just slump here and cry like an idiot. That’s what you’re planning to do?” a voice suddenly broke the eerie silence I’ve been into the past ten minutes. I don’t need to look up to know who the person is. I could hear his steady footsteps as he descended the stairs and felt his warmth radiate as he sat beside me. I let my head hang low. I’ve let myself cry everything out the previous minutes that I won’t be surprised of how awful I look. I am aware of my swollen eyes; my tousled and unclean hair. I don’t even have the guts to let him see me. He’d surely burst out laughing and turn my situation into some form of entertainment.

 

“She’s still with L,” he added, his voice low and emotionless. “And I’m not sure if you know this but you hiding away in here like a sore loser won’t make her come back to you.”

 

I flinched and leaned closer against the wall, feeling utterly small. With this person’s intimidating presence, I suddenly found my untied shoelaces quite fascinating.

 

“Stop being stupid, Baekhyun,” he blurted, obviously losing his patience.

 

“Hyung,” I corrected flatly. “When will you ever call me ‘hyung’?”

 

“Someone as stupid as you doesn’t deserve any of my respect,” he scoffed. “If you want me to honor you, gain it – work for it. Stop acting like an immature child who got his precious lollipop stolen. This is Hanna we’re talking about and both of us know she’s a huge deal. Man up, Baekhyun. Stop running away from all your problems and face them. Stop crawling into your comfort zone and start putting up a fight. You’re better than this, you know it.”

 

I bit my lip and turned away. Hearing someone younger than you call you names and humiliate you is literally crossing the line. But how am I supposed to get mad at him when he’s saying the truth?

 

“Hanna still loves you and you still love her. That’s the only thing that’s been stopping me from trying to steal her from you because I know I’ll eventually lose,” he continued, his voice unbelievably even amidst the slight tinge of sadness in it. “And I value her happiness more than mine. So you better get your s together Baekhyun and win her back. Don’t make me regret ever giving her up just for someone as unworthy as you.”

 

He then stood up and took the same route he used to come here. I could feel my jaw dangling – out of pure shock and daze. Was that person actually Do Kyungsoo? Was that really the same person I’ve trained with and lived with for the past two years? His words filled me with embarrassment and self-loathing. How can a person a year younger than me scold me and put some sense into my empty brain when I, the older one, completely failed to do so? Am I really that stupid?

 

I heaved a deep breath and wiped the remaining wetness off my face. I worked on calming my breathing first before rising up to leave the deserted staircase. I dropped by the restroom to fix myself and I was right, I look awful. I also made a quick detour to the hospital’s cafeteria to buy a sandwich and a can of soda. This will suffice as an alibi. I took one last breath before pushing the door to Hanna’s room open and stepping inside.

 

Kyungsoo’s already there, seated at a corner talking with Kai. Our eyes met for a brief moment and I gave him a nod. I noticed L still sitting beside Hanna but her parents were nowhere in sight, even Manager Song. The members immediately jumped in interrogation and I smoothly waved the food in their faces which easily shut them up.

 

I made my way towards Hanna, aware of L’s eyes watching me the whole time. I sat on the other side of her bed and calmly reached out to brush the stray hair fanning her face. I felt her tense against my touch and the thought almost made me break into a smile.

 

I’m glad I still got some effects on her.

 

Ignoring the questioning look in her eyes, I murmured softly, “How are you, love? Feeling better?”

 

The boys chuckled, obviously because my term of endearment isn’t new to them anymore, but L and Hanna both froze into place. I noticed Hanna’s throat move as she gulped, her eyes darting towards different directions in panic. I could feel L shooting daggers at me with his own gaze.

 

“I-I’m f-fine… o-oppa,” Hanna stammered uncontrollably. Her cheeks flushed and I let my hand move downwards to caress them. Now I am sure L’s starting to imagine murdering me inside his head.

 

“Are you sure?” I breathed, her cheeks more. “Remember oppa’s always here for you, arasso?”

 

Hanna’s brows furrowed slightly in confusion and I could see just how much she’s struggling to keep herself from bursting out. I felt relieved that the members are here with us which means both L and Hanna couldn’t do anything to lash back at me. It only made my confidence shoot to the roof.

 

I let my hand fall a little more and rested it beside hers. I took her hand carefully, twining our fingers like the way we used to do countless of times before. This time though, it was me who almost lost control. My heartbeat picked up and sweat began to form at the back of my neck. Hanna’s hand began to tremble slightly but I held it tighter to keep her from drawing it away.

 

It was that exact moment when the door burst open again and her parents, together with Manager Song, returned. Their eyes immediately zeroed in on the awkward figures of L, Hanna, and I crowded together on the small hospital bed. Their gazes moved in perfect harmony towards our linked hands. Hanna’s parents stared in bewilderment. Manager Song broke into a wide triumphant smile.

 

“The doctor allowed you to get discharged tomorrow, Hanna,” Manager was the first to recompose herself. “The CEO gave you some time to rest. You won’t be needed in the company until next week and your show appearances are suspended until then.”

 

Hanna’s hand turned limp and I gave her a faint encouraging press.

 

“And you, L-ssi,” she continued, shifting her gaze towards the man behind me. “I’m sorry but once again, you’re in for a lot of trouble. Your heroic deed is scattered all over the news and Internet. Reporters are looking for you just as much as they’re looking for Hanna. You’re allowed to go home today and I think you could really use that time to rest and brace yourself for all the unwanted attention. The CEO also gave you a time off but I’m sure your Manager’s going to explain it to you in further details.”

 

“Hyung,” L suddenly spoke in a tone that reveals how he completely forgot about the existence of his own manager. “W-Where is he, by the way? I-Is he okay?”

 

Manager Song nodded with a smile.

 

“He’s fine. He’s been thoroughly checked and is allowed to leave, too. He’s waiting for you at the cafeteria, by the way.”

 

There was a short silence before I heard the man’s voice, obviously talking to Hanna this time, “I’ll be back, okay? I’ll just meet with hyung. I need to ask him if I could stay for the night.”

 

I felt my insides tighten with rage after hearing that but L was quick to leave the room.

 

“I don’t think he’d be allowed to stay, though,” Manager Song murmured and took a seat between the boys. I let myself let go of Hanna and joined the group when her parents stepped in to check on her. I caught their questioning glances just before I lowered my head to excuse myself.

 

And just like Manager Song had predicted, L never came back. He sent a text to Hanna, explaining the reasons for being unable to stay, which honestly made me more than happy.

 

Hanna had succeeded in convincing her parents to go home, claiming she’s already fine and there’s no one to watch over Ryu Jin after he came home from school. I was almost worried that Manager Song would shoo us away too but thankfully, she didn’t. And so we stayed there for the rest of the night.

 

“Thank you,” I murmured to Kyungsoo when everyone’s pretty much dead asleep. “Thank you for knocking some sense into this stupid brain of mine.”

 

“You’ve always been stupid,” he chuckled. “Which made me kind of wonder why she fell in love with you in the first place.”

 

That comment ticked me off a bit but I let it pass. I owe him, anyway.

 

“Thanks again. That really made me feel better,” I spat sarcastically.

 

He lowered his head and chuckled again.

 

“I was waiting for you the whole time to make a move, you know,” he spoke lowly. “I knew the moment I saw the dark look on your faces that something was definitely up. Then I realized you broke up. I was waiting for you the whole time to win her back but you’re just simply taking too long to make a move. I became impatient so I decided to step in.”

 

I pursed my lips in silence, not knowing how to respond.

 

“You’re really stupid, you know that?” he said again for the nth time today. I flinched, slowly getting annoyed myself. “You are so infuriatingly stupid. Didn’t you know you’re being selfish? How can you decide for yourself which and which is not good for her? It’s her choice to make, Baekhyun. And you took that right away from her. Who are you to say that you’re not good for her and you don’t deserve her? I agree with it in so many levels, I admit, but once again, Hanna should be the one deciding for that. Not you.

In your attempt to give her the so-called ‘best’, you didn’t even realize you’r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter