Chapter 5

You're who now?

Nari's POV:

"Wait, what? How?"

I knew Eunji was trying to get into a better school like me but she didn't really talk about it much. 

"Yeah. My mom and dad were able to pull a few strings and get me in. They letter came in the mail yesterday. Did you get into ms.smarty pants?"

I looked down at my desk and didn't answer. Eunji's mood dropped after seeing this. She then realized the glasses Nari was wearing to cover up her slightly puffy eyes. Nari didn't have to tell her what the answer was to figure it out. 

"Hey, it's okay. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you more upset" Eunji said. 

"No no, congrats for making it in. I shouldn't be the one to drag down your mood. Don't worry about me."

Eunji let out a sad smile toward her best friend. She honestly was upset at the fact that Nari didn't get in. She didn't want to leave Nari and started thinking if she should go or not. They have been through so much together and was one of the few people who stuck around after her parents died. 

"Yah, Eunji, I said I'm fine okay. Don't worry about it" I said to her, seeing her lost in her thoughts. 

The school day passed by rather quickly. Eunji didn't really say much the whole day, which was out of her character, but nonetheless was there for her friend. While leaving, Eunji stopped me before we separated. 

"Just so you know Nari, if I go to Sm, I will always still be there for you and we will always be best friends. Don't think I'd leave you,okay?"

"You mean when you go to Sm and thanks. Really, for everything Eunji, I don't know what I would do without you." I then hugged her and we went our separate ways. I got to work early and started right away. I was going to be leaving sooner so I needed to get as much work in as possible. After about 2 hours of working, the owner came up to me.

"Why don't you leave now Nari. You always work overtime. You deserve a rest."

I was going to argue with him and say that it was alright working longer, but I know Jimin would like to see me home really early so I decided to go with it. I packed up my things and started to head home. On my way home I passed by Sm, Yg, and Woolim university along with the other good schools. I let out a sigh again. 

"You're lucky Eunji."

When I got home, I saw my brother and my aunt talking to each other. I honestly forgot that she was coming over.

"Nari it's so good to see you. I haven't seen you in forever!" She came up to me and gave me a hug. 

"Hi unnie, it's nice to see you too. If you don't mind me asking, why are you here exactly" I asked her as I scratched the back of my neck. Why is she even here though?

"What, I can't check up on my nephew and niece? I wanted to see how you guys were doing."

"Oh." In other words, wanted to make sure we haven't died of starvation yet or gone completely broke. I know she means well and she cares about us but I don't need her pity. I can see it in her eyes and it's the last thing I need right now. 

"Why don't you two sit down and we'll all catch up" Jimin said to the both of us.

After sitting down, we all caught up on how each of us were doing. My aunt isn't rich, but she isn't poor either. She works as a stylist in the entertainment business. She makes enough money to support herself. She wanted to take us in after our parents died but just didn't have enough money to support all three of us. Again, it always comes down to money. 

"So Nari, how's school going for you. I heard earlier from your brother that your extremely smart. You could probably get into any school you wanted to."

I sort of froze for a second. What she said should be true right, so why wasn't it? Jimin gave me a worried look and I nodded at him, reassuring that I was fine. 

"Um, school is going great but even still I can't get into the schools I wanted to get into" I said, laughing a bit at how ironic it sounded. 

"What, why? Any school would let you in with your grades. Your a straight A student. I bet even the prestigious schools would accept you" she stated. 

"Well apparently not because I applied for some and they didn't accept me. Said we didn't have the money."

"Wouldn't they give you a scholarship though. I mean any school would want a student like you?"

"Well, were aren't a rich family. Guess they don't want some poor broke girl to ruin their reputation" I answered. 

Jimin, who was getting a bit uncomfortable about the topic, decided to step in. "Why don't we talk about something else. Nari, why don't you tell noona about how athletic and good you are at sports?" 

I looked at him and sighed. I looked back at my aunt and started to tell her about the sports I do, like basketball, track, and badminton. 

Aunt's POV: 

As Nari was telling me about her sports, I found that I couldn't really focus on what she was really saying. My mind kept thinking about how the schools didn't accept someone like Nari into their school. Before becoming a stylist, I had worked at Woolim university and they accepted anyone who had good grades and gave out scholarships to them. Obviously, the rich kids were wanted more, but they didn't reject those who weren't. I know Nari and Jimin's situation is more on the extreme side, but I doubt they pass her up. Ugh, it really does kill me to see them living like this. If I could take them in I would but I can't. Oh Nari, if only you were a guy. 

Wait a minute. That's it!

Nari's POV: 

"Wait a minute. That's it!" 

I stopped talking about sports and was confused as to what my aunt meant. How is me being the best in track going to solve anything?

"Uh, what do you mean unnie?"

"I know how to get you into one of those prestigious schools!"

"WHATT! HOWW!!" Even Jimin, who was kind of tuning out the conversation since he knew how good his sister was at sports, was anxious and listening intently to hear what she had to say. 

"You may not be able to get into the girls school but I know a school that might just let you. But, you're going to have to pretend to be boy" she told us excitedly.

"What? Why" I asked her. 

"Because your going to go to Woolim university!" 

"WHATTT!?!?!" Me and Jimin screamed at the same time.