Chapter 17

You're who now?

Nari's P.O.V:

My feet guided me into the deep forest with some of the other students trailing behind. My eyes scanned the woods looking for any paths or clues as to where they would have hidden the key. To be honest, I really didn't care about the whole games. I didn't care if we lost, but I thought might as well try, right? I'd take the nice tent over a lousey one anyday.

I continued heading deeper into the wood when I spotted a sign in the middle of a bunch of trees. I walked closer to see what the sign read.

'Search high and low. You never know.'

Well that was a bad rhyme, but nevertheless, I got the message. I looked up in the trees to see if there was any key or box that had the key. It was at times like these I wish I had Chanyeol's height. After looking up, I looked all over the ground and still didn't find anything. There has to be a key here, otherwise they wouldn't put that sign there. That would be pointless.

I looked back up again, getting frustrated at this game. Why couldn't this be like tic-tac-toe? 

Just as I was about to give up and leave, I spotted a small box that was hanging in the tree due to the wind moving it.

"Bingo."

I walked over to the tree and gave it once over. The box was almost as high as the tree itself. How did they even get it up there?

"Ugh, just stop thinking and get it already" I told myself.

There were a few branches hanging out just above my head, but, they were above my head. "Maybe I should of had Chanyeol come with me."

My mind immediately thought to get a stool. In this case, a makeshift stool. I looked around the woods to see anything that could help a vertically challenged person like me, and beamed when I saw a rock that was pretty big.

I walked over to the rock and with much effort, pushed the rock next to the tree. My arms were already tired, but I shook it off and got ontop of the rock. I jumped up and grabbed the branch, pulling myself up while using my legs to push me against the tree. After getting up on the branch, the hardest part being over with, I continued to climb the branches, making my way to the box. I chuckled to myself, imaging myself as a monkey. I probably look like a weirdo to anyone else.

After much hassle, I managed to reach the box. I stretched my hand out and grabbed the box, bringing it close to me so I wouldn't drop it.

"Finally."

I sat down on the branch and opened up the box to take out the key. But when I opened the box, I felt nothing but dissapointment.

I pulled out the key. The orange key.

"Arghh, are you kidding me! I did all of that for nothing?!?!"

Despite my anger, I tried telling myself that it was good because now there's no way the orange team is winning while I have it. However, I probably spent 15 minutes trying to get this thing and it's not even what I need.

I stuffed the key into my pocket and looked down. I didn't have a phobia of heights or was deadly afraid of them, but being this high up made me a little nervous.

"It's okay, just go back down the way you came up. Easy."

But it wasn't easy. Heck, it was harder then actually getting up here. I made my way slowly down the branches, making sure not to slip or fall. I was a little more than halfway down the tree, the ground coming closer into view. Then, my heart stopped as I heard a crack that could only come from the branch underneath my foot.

I tried to catch myself and hold on, but I guess I put to much force down because that dragged me down to. My whole body got hit with branches until it collided with the ground, thankfully not the rock.

"Fuuuuu, Owwwwwww."

The fall wasn't to bad since I was closer to the ground but I got hit everywhere by branches. I got up slowly, my limbs hurting each time I move. Not unbearable pain, but nonethless, pain.

"I'm gonna have bruises all over. The things I do for this stupid game."

I limped around the forest some more, still searching for the stupid key. I decided to whip out my walkie-talkie and see if Chanyeol or L were having better luck than me.

"Um, Chanyeol or L? It's me Jimin. I found a key but it isn't ours. Wondering if you guys found it."

I waited about 30 seconds before someone replied.

"Haven't found anything" L said.

"I didn't find anything either. Don't worry though, no one else has found anything here either" Chanyeol said.

"Okay, let me know if you find it."

I continued to search in the woods, the pain slowly starting to go away. The woods was so huge, I wondered if I would be able to find my way back. There was nothing but trees and grass and, well, things you find in nature. And thats all I saw for the next 10 minutes before I spotted another trail.

I walked along the trail and came across a big hole. Filled. With. Mud.

"Oh hell no. There is no way they would put a key in there, let alone me go in there to find one."

But the longer I stared at the pit, the more my mind was saying there definitely was a key in there. I mean who would just have a huge mud pit in the middle of a trail and not have placed a key in there. 

"Even if there is a key, it's probably some other teams just like the tree."

However, my dumb mind that can never rest was still bugging me with the chance that it could be our key.

Before I could walk off, my walkie-talkie went off first.

"Hey, Chanyeol, didn't find anything, but I saw some other team find their key. We gotta hurry it up."

I stared at my walkie-talkie, then at the mud pit, then at the walkie-talkie, and back at the mud pit.

"I hate this school."

I jumped into the pit, sinking to where my hips were and shivering because of how cold it was.

"Geez, why is it so deep?"

I tried to search for the key with my feet, shuffling around the bottom to see if I would find anything. My foot hit a box, making me squel.

"Yes."

I tried to lift up the box with my feet but couldn't. I put a hand down to grab it but this pit was so deep that I would go under if I went all the way to the ground. Meaning, I had no choice but to go under in order to get the stupid box.

"Why can't Chanyeol have gone to the woods?"

With one deep breath, I submerged under the mud, reaching out to grab the box. I felt my hand grasp the box, quickly pulling up after. I let out my breath and kept my eyes shut. There was mud all over me from head to toe. And there wasn't anything I could wipe my face with. With my eyes closed, I made my way to the edge of the pit and hopped out with the box next to me. I shook my head to get some of the mud of my face and forced my eyes to open. I looked around and quickly grabbed a leaf to wipe my eyes.

"Ugh, this is gross."

Now that I could see clearly, I walked back and retrieved the box.

"I sware if I did that for nothing."

I unlocked the box and saw to key. The green key. 

"Oh thank god. But of course they would place our key in the mud."

I threw the box and ran back to the cabins, following the trail.

"Chanyeol, L, I found the key. Meet me at the cage Soohyun is in" I said over the walkie-talkie.

"Alright" L said. 

"Copy that" Chanyeol replied two seconds later. I rolled my eyes.

"What a dork."

I continued my way through the woods. It took me a few tries before I finally recognized the part of the woods and knew where to go. I took me longer to get out since I was a little lost and the mud isn't helping me get out of here faster. I ran as fast as I could before I saw the cabins in my sight. There were a few teams that were looking around that I passed. I can only hope that only that one other team found the key.

I finally reached the cabins and started to head over to where the people who were in the cages were. I saw Chanyeol and L standing next to the cage Soohyun was in. By the looks of it, Soohyun was probably complaining to them how long we took and what not. I finally reached them and started to take out the key.

"Hey guys" I said while taking out the key to get Soohyun out. I looked up to Soohyun who was just staring at me with wide eyes causing me to raise my eyebrow. I turned to Chanyeol and L who had the same expression on their faces.

"What?"

"What happened to you?" Chanyeol asked.

I looked down and realized that I was still covered in mud and probably had a few scratches from the branches.

"Long story" I replied while unlocking the lock of the cage.

"Yeah, too long. Do you know how long I had to stay in there!" Soohyun started.

I glared at him. "Don't even start with that with me. Do you see what I look like right now?"

Soohyun didn't say anything and shut up for the time being. We rushed over to the lake, hoping we weren't to far behind at this point. When looking across the lake, there was only one other team in the lake and they weren't that far out.

"We could do this if we hurry."

"Yeah, lets start moving" Chanyeol said.

We all hopped into the kayak and grabbed a paddle, starting to row. I must say we were pretty insync because we were gaining speed on the other team fast. Their team was not doing so good and were all paddling at different times, making it uneven. Before we knew it, we came right up next to them. But this was a big lake and we still had a long way to go before we get the flag.

I looked back and saw two other teams getting into their kayaks while the orange team looking like their going crazy. I snickered to myself, knowing that they'll never find the key. 

"UGHH, my arms are tired. I don't want to do this" Soohyun started to complain.

"Shut up and man up would you" I told him. If he had to do the things I did, we would never have left land.

"You shut up" he replied to which I ignored.

We were getting closer to the flag and then another team from behind were really picking up the pace. They started getting closer and closer until they were right next to us. Both us and them started to paddle as fast as we could, getting closer to the flag. However, the other team started to drift to their right, closer to us.

"What are they doing?"

"I don't know" Chanyeol said.

All of a sudden, our boat started to tip over, making us stop paddling. I looked over to see the other team using their paddles to try and tip the boat.

"What the hell!"

I leaned over toward them with Chanyeol following in my footsteps to kept the boat level. This upset the other team because they couldn't really lift the boat now. But they were determined to slow us down, so one of their teammates lifted up their paddle and started shoving me back.

"Hey, stop that!" Chanyeol yelled.

Despite Chanyeol's yelling, he didn't stop and continued to push me. I was suprised when I saw L trying to help me out by pushing the other guy with his paddle. Yet, the guy finally gave one last strong push, sending me over the boat and into the water.

 I wasn't ready for that because my mouth was still open while I was breathing in, causing me to breath in water. The mud was starting to come off me but I didn't want to stay in the water to long. I didn't want to my clothes to be wet and emphasize certain parts of my body that I "shouldn't" have.

I started to swim up but I got smacked in the face by a paddle in the water. My head started hurting and I started seeing black dots. I quickly tried to get to surface because I was running out of air fast but got smacked again by another paddle, making my head spin. My mouth was ready to open any second and I started to panick. I swam up once again but butted my head against the bottom of the boat. I could hear Chanyeol yelling my name from above but I really didn't have much energy left in me.

I then felt a splash next to me and someone grab my wrist. Everything was fuzzy looking and I couldn't make out who it was pulling me out of the water. My head finally reached the surface where I gasped for air while the guy held me. Apparently, we were closer to land because the guy didn't bother getting us back in the boat and swam while leading me to the ground. Once we reached the ground, I crawled up to the land coughing up water nonstop. I collasped on the ground face first, breathing heavily.

"Hey. Hey, you alright. Jimin" I heard the guy's voice say. I tried to look up at him but I had no energy and my body hurt. But being me, I gave a small nod saying I was okay.

"Yea, sure." He replied in a sarcastic tone. 

I would of glared at him if I wasn't so drained. Off in the distance, I heard footsteps coming closer to where I was and a voice calling out my name.

"JIMIN, JIMIN ARE YOU OKAY!?!"

I could tell it was Chanyeol due to his voice. But seeing as though Chanyeol was coming up to me right now, and Soohyun is a lazy , L is the one that jumped in after me? Nah, he wouldn't do that, would he?

"Jimin, are you okay?" Chanyeol said coming up next to me.

"I'm fine" I replied weakly.

Chanyeol took a hold of me and wrapped my arm around his shoulder, picking me up.

"Did we win?" I asked.

"Are you really concerned about that now?" Chanyeol said while giving me a stern look.

"Geez, sorry."

"Whatever, lets just get you fixed up. I'll bring you to the nurse here."

"NO, you cant do that."

"What? Why?"

"Chanyeol you know why" I whispered to him. He just looked at me with concern.

"Can you tell?" I asked him.

"Tell what?"

"My clothes. Can you tell?"

He looked down at my soaked clothes which I felt sticking to my body. My wrap around my chest was also starting to fall down.

"Uhhh, kind of" he whispered.

"I need to get changed now" I said pulling myself off him and started walking, more like stumbling, to the cabins.

"Hold up, your still injured." He said while following me close behind. However, a teacher was calling us over. I looked at Chanyeol who looked back at me with the same worried eyes. 

"Chanyeol, Jimin, wait a sec. I wanna ask you guys what happened in the lake. Did that team cheat or not."

"Um sir, I don't feel so good and my clothes are wet so can I go change?" I asked the teacher politely wanting to get out of their fast since the wrap was falling further down my body.

"Yeah, are you hurt. I'll take you to the nurse here."

"No, No. It's fine."

"Are you sure cause you don't lo-"

"I'll take him" someone said. I turned my head to see L coming up to us.

"I'll take him don't worry. You can talk to Chanyeol."

The teacher looked at him and nodded while L took my arm and started leading me to the cabins.

"You don't have to take me to the nurse. I can just go back to the cabin and change" I told him hoping he wasn't going to insist taking me to the nurse.

"Don't worry. I heard you and Chanyeol talking saying how you just wanted to go back to the cabins" he said while still dragging me.

I nodded and noticed how L was all wet too. I guess he was the one who came in after me.

"Hey, um, thanks for helping me back there. In the water"

L said nothing but nodded his head.

We arrived back at the cabin and in our dorm. I grabbed a new pair of clothes and changed in the bathroom, a wave of relief showering over me. I stepped out of the bathroom to see L had changed too and was sitting on his bed.

"Your not going back?"

He didn't say anything again and shook his head. I went over to the window and saw all the students and teachers talking amongst themselves, trying to determine a winner. I decided to just stay because 1, I was tired and 2, I didn't want to be involved in that. So I plopped down on my bed across from L. He stared at me but didn't say anything about me staying here. We just sat there in silence, not too akward but not comfortable. So I decided to break it.

"So I was wondering, what's your real name?"

He looked at me and didn't say anything.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Because I do. Is it too much to ask for your real name or is it a secret no one can know."

"I don't know. Is yours?" He said while raising an eyebrow.

"Uh, you know my name. Jimin" I said with my insides starting to knot from stress.

He said nothing and continued to look at me for like 10 seconds before he smirked and got up.

He started heading toward the door but stopped before he reached it, turning his head sideways.

"Myungsoo." He said before opening the door and closing it.

I gotta admit, I wasn't really expecting him to tell me. I felt somehow special knowing I got the cold, emotionless guy L to tell me his real name.

"Hm, Myungsoo. I like that better than L." I said to myself before taking a nap.