Over night

8 Letters, 3 Words, 1 Meaning

 

                                                                                          

 

“I…I would have to go back to Canada for a month or more…” I finally broke the news to her. I can feel her hand sliding off my shoulder and I held on to it immediately. “But I promised, I would be back soon!”

“Mmm…” is what she said.

I turned around and looked at her. She was trying to control her tears. It’s heartbreaking seeing her like this. I’ve even promised her not to let her cry when she is with me…but I broke the promise.

“It’s okay to cry.”     

“It’s okay. I’m really okay.” She said, turning around with her back facing me.

I hold onto her and turn her around, hugging her. She stared to sob in my embrace. Hushing her, I told her I would be back in no time.

“Shh… It’s alright. I will be back soon before you know.”

Looking up at me, she wiped her tears off and said “Really? Promised?”

“Promised. When did I ever break a promise?”

She shrugged her shoulder and hold out her pinky finger. “Promise?”

“Promised.”

 

“I guess, I would have no choice but to believe him right?”  Holding out my pinky finger, I made him promise me that he will be back safely.

“When would you be leaving?”

“Tomorrow morning.”

“That’s fast” I whispered.

“Eun Hae ah, I…I…”

“What is it?”

“I’ve got a request to make. Hope you would agree to it…”

“Well you have to tell me what isit so I can make decision.”

“Canwespendanighttogether?” he said so quickly that every words seems to stick together.

I chuckled. “What?”

“I said…can we…ah forget it…”

“Yes, we can.”

“Huh? Uhh.. ARE YOU SURE?! I promise, I won’t do anything!”

“Yes, I know you won’t do anything. Haha”

“Yes! Finally a while day with you!”

Walking back home hand in hand, we pass by a super mart and grab some snacks on our way.

“Aww… I guess I will put on weight if I keep snacking on these!” I opend up the main gate and told Kevin.

“Silly, you won’t grow fat! Well if you do, it’s okay. You will still be cute!” I playfully hit his arm.

“Hello? I’m back!” I shouted. Nobody. The whole house is in darkness. I walked over to the switch and flick it open. “Hello?” Once again, no reply.

“Aishee… Where can they go?”

“Eun Hae, there’s a note on the coffee table.”

I walked towards the coffee table and picked up the note. It says:

Eun Hae ya, grandpa and I would be heading out of town and stay with our friends for a few days to help them prepare for their granddaughter’s wedding. Cover yourself well as it’s cold and remember to have your meal daily!

Loves,

Grandma

P.S: *How I wish my granddaughter will be the next one to get married.*”

I chuckled after reading the letter. Omo, why do my grandparents have so much events going on?

“Well what does it says?” Kevin came over and peep on the note.

“They have gone out of town to help their friend. I guess the whole house would be ours for today?”

“Well, indeed.”

We spend the rest of the night snacking on snacks and watching comedy laughing for almos thte whole night.

“Let’s head to sleep. You’ve got a plane to catch tomorrow morning. I will do the dishes tomorrow morning.”

He nodded and head towards the bedroom.

“Kevin ah, remember to take care of yourself.”

“I will. You too, take care of yourself well and remember! Don’t look at other guys!”

“How am I supposed to go out without looking at people?”

“True. Well you can look, but for awhile. Remember? You can only look at me.”   

“Aishee…” I turned around back facing him and blushed.

“Aigoo…Someone is shy. Haha!” And he gave me a backhug.

I tried to wriggle my way out of his embrace but it just got tighter.

“ Eun Hae ahh… don’t move, stay still. Let me hug you for the rest of the night. Please?”

I nodded my head in agreement and smiled. The room is so quiet that we can hear our own breathing.

“Eun Hae, can you promise me something too?”

“Yea, what?”

“Remember to smile and laugh often. No matter what happen, smile and laugh. Okay?”

“Enn, I will. You too have to smile and laugh often no matter what.” And I turn around facing him. This is the first time ever I am so closed to him. Looking into his eyes, he seems to have moved forward bit by bit and without me knowing, our lips touched. His lip feels so warm and soft…it’s like cotton candy! After a moment, we parted. Smiling to me sweetly, he patted my back to sleep. Humming some lullaby, soon I’ve drifted into my lala land…