New Neighbours

8 Letters, 3 Words, 1 Meaning


Aishee, why must I be late during the first day of school? Taking my gayageum, I grab a chopstick from my table and used it to make my hair into a messy bun, putting on my black nerd spectacles and wearing my sneakers, I quickly bid goodbye to my grandpa and when rushing out of the door with grandpa shouting behind. Then suddenly, Ahhhh…...

*eekkk..* *plop*

“Ahh!!” I shouted and fell down. The bicycle screech to a stop as the biker turned and looked at me. “I am sorry.” He apologized and cycled away. I stared at the biker in bewilderment. I cannot believe there’s such a person! This person knocked onto me and then what? Just apologized and went off like that without helping me up?

I squinted my eyes to take a better look at the person. All I could see is the back view of the person. He’s wearing a white vest and a navy blue shirt with a bag named like “Cemula”(?) and was riding on his pure white bicycle. I can’t see clearly as I do not have my spectacles on.

Wait, I remember I wore my spectacle before rushing out of my house. Now where isit? Squinting my eyes again searching for it frantically.

“It must be here somewhere. Hum..”

“Are you looking for this?” A voice boomed out at the back of me. The voice startled me for a few seconds and I turned.

“Oh gosh!” was the first word which came out from my mouth when I saw that person. Although I cannot see well as I do not have my spectacles on. But then he is just a few centimeter infront of me. I can see him clearly! His features, hair color.. There is only a word to describe him – Angel. His spiky brown hair goes well with his fair and flawless skin. His legs are so slim and long. How can a guy have such a slim legs?...

“Hey, hello? Are you alright?” He asked in a sweet and concerned tone while waving his hand infront of me.

“Oh! Erm ya. Haha!” It’s so awkward! Did he catch me staring at him? My cheeks started to flush. “Is this yours?” Snapping out of my thoughts I looked up and saw what he is holding – MY spectacles. “Oh yes, it’s mine. Thank you!” I smiled back sweetly. I looked at my spectacle and sigh. “What’s wrong?” he asked “Are you hurt or something?” “Ah, no I am not. It’s just seems like the frame had cracked.” I answered him in despair. Actually I am also quite surprised he is still here standing next to me actually he could have just went off like that person just now! “I think I can help you. Give me a moment.” He dig into his bag and finally took out a roll of..masking tape? “This might help! Let me help you with it.” Without waiting for my answer, he took my spectacle and fixed it. “There you go! Although it looks hideous but I think it’s much better as compared to just now.” He flashed his angelic smiled at me while helping me to put on my spectacle. “Are you on your way to school?” Oh yes! School. I have totally forgotten about it. I looked at my watched and panicked. 10 more minutes till class start. Today is supposed to be a very important lesson how can I risked missing it!

Looking at me, I think he got the answer to his question. Without asking anything he picked up my gayageum and held my hand and pull me along with him. We took big steps and gradually it becomes a run. “Where are you studying at now?” he asked still focused on running but turned his head back to check on me. “Korea National University of Arts” I shouted incased he cannot hear me. “Okay I got it!” We ran out to the main road and he flagged down a taxi. “Korea National University of Arts, thank you” he told the driver politely. We were both panting as we ran as fast as we could just now. I turned and looked at him giving him the “why are you still with me” look.

As if he understood it, he told me “I am also a student there. I am in the school of applied music. Ohya and hello, my name is Kevin. I just moved into the neighborhood a few days ago with my cousin. Nice to meet you!” He flashes his angelic smile at me once more and offers me a handshake. I shook his hand and started introducing myself. “Hello, my name is Eun Hae and I am in the school of Korean traditional arts. Nice to meet you too, neighbor.” I felt so stupid when I add the word neighbor behind!

We were both chatting happily and without us knowing, we have actually reached the school. Upon getting out of the cab, a guy wearing navy blue shirt with a white vest came running towards him shouting “Hey Kevin! Why are you so late? Quick! The class is about to start!” This voice, these clothes even the bag looks similar… “This person!” I gasped. Both of them turned and look at me…