The Pickup

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon's POV

“I know for a fact that he was right here before you shot at him” Hyoyeon said. We were on the rooftop of the building we spotted the sniper from last night on.

“Yeah, I know. I saw him too, you’re right,” I said.

We had been scoping out the rooftop for any clues he may have left to find his identity. We’ve been investigating for the last hour on this building and nothing. We checked the security cameras and they've got nothing. Earlier, we had discovered an emergency escape in the back of the apartment building with a slide-down ladder. Assuming the shooter climbed the ladder to the roof, we tried finding fingerprints anywhere on it. Nothing. He must have had gloves on. There was nothing on this roof that showed any sign of anyone on it from last night.

Sooyoung and some other guys have been down at the parking lot of the stadium looking for any clues. The detectives who were assigned to investigate the crime scene said someone had put a bomb on the bottom of the car.

“What we don’t understand,” one detective told us earlier. “is why it blew up before they were even in the car or near enough to be injured. Either they miscalculated the timing or they did it purposely to scare them. Maybe send a message? We’ll look into it.”

I was standing at the edge of the building. I had a clear shot passed the cars towards where the girls and I were.

This has to be where he was.

“Hey Tae, Hyo,” My walkie-talkie sounded with Sooyoung’s voice.

“Yeah, what’s up?” Hyoyeon said next.

“Come on down here if you’re not finding anything.”

We made our way back to the parking lot. When we reached Sooyoung, had just finished talking to a detective. "He said they found the bullet." she said. "They're taking it away now to get prints or anything from it."

Before I could say anything, my phone started ringing. I looked at the screen. The caller ID read “Boss Man”.

“Talk to me.” I said, answering the phone.

“Kim, come back to the office so I can talk to you ASAP. Bring Choi and the other Kim.”

“Yes sir.” I hung up.

“Boss wants to talk to us. Let’s go.”

~~~~~

“WHAT?????” I exclaimed.

“You’re assigned to take care of the Jung sisters.” The boss repeated.

“Nonononono. Chief, why me? You have a lot of other really good people for the job—“

“Jung SooMon says he wants the absolute best officers to guard his girls. You’re the absolute best.” He simply said.

“But—"

“No buts, Kim. You’re assigned to this. I already assigned your other two families to another group. All your attention is now on these two girls. That’s final.”

“That’s not even our job.”

“It is now. For you at least.” Chief winked at me. “He’s paying a lot more for you to be their personal in-home guard. What better person to have protect your kids twenty-four seven than an officer from the Seoul Protective Services?” He smacked me on the shoulder before walking away. “Oh,” he said, turning to me again. “they’re at the hospital, by the way. The sooner you pick them up, the better. The instructions for the job are on your desk.”

“Instructions?” I mumbled to myself, giving the chief a nasty look when he turned away. “Am I putting together a ing bookshelf or something?”

“Don’t think so negatively, Tae. It’s just a job assignment” Sooyoung said, wrapping her arm around my shoulders comfortingly.

We made our way to our office. When inside, I took the envelope from my desk and pulled out the papers, reading it out loud. “Jung SooMon has ordered for the best of the best to take care of his two precious girls until we catch the bastards.”

“Haha! It actually says bastards.” Hyoyeon said, reading her papers as well. All three of us got envelopes containing our job details.

“Sorry, Taeyeon but this is an important man, as you know. What he says is going to have to go, as much as you don’t want it.” I read more. “So your job—scratch that—your life, is to protect Jessica and Krystal Jung until who knows." So that's their names.. "This assignment is different from any other you’ve had. Unlike the others where you relocated them and check up on them from time to time, you will be living with them. Whether you move into a different city or your own house is up to you, but they have to leave their house.

“Here are the details and precautions you need to know before starting this:

  • Know where they are at all times. If there’s a situation where each needs to be in different places at the same time, go to Officer Choi.
  • Mr. Jung has given us permission to take security to the next level. That includes bugging their phones, escorting anywhere and everywhere, searching their belongings, invasion of privacy, and physical action if they retaliate. Obviously nothing that will injure them.
  • Keeping them from certain people that seem to be a threat.
  • Forcing them to join you anywhere at any time.

You’re like an in-home bodyguard, Taeyeon. Just imagine they’re like family or something. But remember they are your job.

If there is ever a problem above your hands, come to me or Chairman Jung or Mrs. Jung.

If there are any questions, come to me or Chairman Jung or Mrs. Jung.

I’m counting on you to do this, Kim. Think about the money. He’s paying big. Don’t screw this up.”

That was it.

“Well mine says I gotta monitor them twenty-four seven.” Hyoyeon said, looking up with a confused expression. “What does that mean?”

“It means you’re the one that’s gonna be listening in on the phones calls they make and keeping an eye on the cameras.” Sooyoung said.

“Camer—“

“Which also means wherever you decide to take them, Tae, we gotta put up cameras all over the place. That way we know what they’re doing in their room and make sure the house is secure. You know, in case the shooter tries to break in.”

“Well what does yours say, Soo?” Hyoyeon asked.

“It says I’m in charge of hooking up the gadgets, like the cameras, bugs, stuff like that. You know, because I’m the smart one in this.” She gave a cheeky smile. “And I’ll be assisting you and Hyoyeon whenever you need me. Like if a camera is out and the earpiece is messed up or if you need me to come over and watch one of them. I’m pretty much here for the technology and being your .” Sooyoung winked at me which lightened my mood a bit.

“Earpiece?” I asked.

“Yep. You’re gonna need those. All of us need an earpiece to communicate. It’s faster and safer than calling. It’s the best way. We’ll be attached to each other all day with them on. If you’re tired of hearing my voice now, you’re gonna hate it with that earpiece in. Ha!”

“Well if you’re our assistant—“ Hyoyeon said smiling mischievously. Sooyoung threw a tennis ball at her, hitting her in the stomach.

“I am NOT your assistant, Hyogre.”

“Whatever.” Hyoyeon shrugged off the name. “Anyway, if you’re our assistant, then you can help me watch over them.”

“Yah! Call me your assistant again and I’m gonna kick your Shrek face into Far Far Away!”

Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out at Sooyoung.

When we started high school, the kids thought it was fun to try bullying Hyoyeon. Probably because they were jealous of her infinitely happy mood. They always said she resembled Fiona from Shrek and started calling her things like Ogre, Hyogre, Shrek, and Fiona. It upset me and Sooyoung more than it did Hyoyeon. Whenever we heard someone calling her something other than her name, we’d threaten them. One time, Sooyoung poured milk all over a guy’s head and clothes, while another time, I punched a kid in the nose. I broke it, so I was suspended for a week and had to write an apology letter to him. It read:

Sorry I broke your nose.

Go yourself.

Love, Taeyeon <3

After that incident, Hyoyeon told us it really didn’t bother her at all and to stop taking it upon ourselves to make people stop. One day she even came to school wearing a Princess Fiona dress all day with a smile on her face as though it was a completely normal thing. After that, people pretty much stopped calling her names and Sooyoung and I started calling her those names instead for nicknames.

That sounds bad, but when everyone else stopped calling her that stuff, she started using those names for herself and in the end, Soo and I just joined her.

“Well, you ready to get this done, Taeyeon?” Hyoyeon asked me.

“Ugh… Not really..”

“Oh hush. It won’t be so bad. At least you won’t be stuck in this office like me and Soo.”

“Where are you going to move them to?” Sooyoung asked.

“The pits of Hell.” I said. They looked at me, waiting for me to answer again. “I think I’m just going to take them to my place. I’m not relocating myself, screw that. Besides, my house already has a lot of security to it so what’s the problem with a little more?”

“That’s the spirit!!” Hyoyeon shouted, tossing me the tennis ball.

“Alright, so you guys go get them and take them to your place, Tae. I’ll meet you guys there. I’m gonna tell Chief we need cameras and stuff.”

We left for the hospital and went straight to the hospital room Chairman Jung was in. In front of the door were a few security guards who let us in after we showed them our badges. The room was completely full of security guards. They all faced us in defensive positions. Two of them came forward, one of them grabbing my arm roughly. I grabbed his wrist with just as much strength as he had, giving him a threatening look. Hyoyeon showed him her badge and let go, bowing at me in apology before all of the guards left the room. Now all who were left were Hyo and I, Chairman Jung lying on his bed, Mrs. Jung standing over him, a doctor checking the IV bag, and the two girls we drove here last night. Jessica and Krystal. They were sitting down in the seats by the window looking at us.

I walked towards the Jung on the patient’s bed. “Chairman Jung, I am Officer Kim Taeyeon and this is Officer Kim Hyoyeon. We were assigned to the protection of your two daughters.” I bowed at him stiffly.

“Two women were assigned to take care of the safety of my daughters?” Mr. Jung said, eyeing us skeptically.

Annoyance bubbled up inside me. Before I was able to spit out something that might end badly, Hyoyeon spoke.

“Three women, sir. Choi Sooyoung, our third partner is getting security supplies. But yes sir. You asked for the best of the best. That is us. We may not look like much, but I guarantee you no one else will do better than us. They will be under our watch every minute of the day”

“I know you two,” the brunette sister suddenly said. “They’re the ones that brought us here last night, daddy.”

“Yeah,” said the blonde. “She saved Jessi from getting shot.” She pointed at me.

“Ahhhh. So I see you have already started your job before I asked.” Chairman Jung chuckled but stopped abruptly, clutching his stomach.

“Honey, be careful.” Mrs. Jung said worriedly.

Chairman Jung coughed a couple of times. He stared up at me with his brows furrowed. “You look familiar..”

“So I’ve been told before.” Is all I said.

“Well… Last year, the police department told me to go to the Protective Services if I needed anything like this. They highly recommended you guys, so I will trust you. I want what is best for my girls and that is to be safe, even if they are away from me. Do not tell me where they will be. You never know who is listening.”

He looked at his daughters, ushering them to him.

“You know what’s going on right, Krystal?” He asked.

“Dad, she’s eighteen, not eight.” The shorter girl said with a small smile.

“Yeah dad, don’t worry about us, okay? Take care of yourself..” The blonde, Krystal, said grabbing her father’s hand.

“Just be good, okay? Do not cause any trouble. They will find the person who did this.” he said. “It is time for you to go now. I love you girls. Take care, babies.” They hugged him and slowly walked to the other side of the room to us.

Hyoyeon bowed at Chairman Jung again and we left with the Jung sisters. Krystal’s eyes were red and slightly puffy, but I pretended not to notice.

We got in my car and started the drive to my house.

 


I don't know if I edited it all correctly, but I can't do it right now.. I'll check it again later in the day :)

So I said they were going to settle into the house this chapter, but I guess I lied. They'll get to the house in the next chapter. Hyoyeon stopped Taeyeon from doing something stupid twice in this chapter. She was about ready to break that guard's arm, and she was going to say something really bad to Chairman Jung. Thanks to Hyoyeon, she didn't. She and Sooyoung know Taeyeon well and know when they need to step in to help her out. Best friends are always there for you, of course!

I hope you guys liked this chapter. It might not have been filled with action or love or anything, but it had to be put in soooo. Yeah! Tell me what you think, guys! See you Friday!

One last thing.. I would just like to express my sadness over EunB of Ladies Code's passing.. My heart breaks for her family, friends, fans, and members.. I love Ladies Code and it makes me cry when I think of it.. It's crazy how something like this can happen. It reminds us all that idols and other famous people are just like everyone else. Humans. And that it doesn't matter if you're known around the world or just around the neighborhood. Glad to hear RiSe and Sojung are okay along with the rest of the members. Heaven just gained a beautiful angel... Rest In Peace EunB... 3