The Chase

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon's POV

I had just finished my workout in the morning and climbed the stairs to the first floor. I opened the basement door to find Jessica in the kitchen making breakfast. She looked up, giving me a big smile.

“Good morning Taeyeon.”

“Good morning Jessica.” I returned a small smile.

“I’m making us breakfast. Did you eat already?”

“You’re making me breakfast?” I asked, surprised.

She smiled again. “Yep.”

“Oh.. That’s nice of you. No, I haven’t eaten yet.” I said.

“Well, go ahead and wash up. It should be done by the time you come back down.”

I nodded and headed upstairs to the shower.

It had been three days since they moved in and I must say that it had definitely gotten better. Jessica and I are a lot friendlier with each other now. We even crack jokes now and then with one another. I didn’t wake up in time to see Krystal off to school or make her breakfast this morning like I had been doing. I was having back to back nightmares all last night. I was actually enjoying having the two in my house now. Kind of. I liked not being lonely all day. I did say that I wanted a dog or something to keep me company. Instead, I have two girls. Two cute girls living in my house. Just a room away. That’s like every lesbian’s dream. Too bad they're Jung's.

I went back to the dining room. Jessica put a plate of egg sandwiches on the table.

“This is your breakfast for me?” I asked.

“Yep. Be happy I didn’t just pour you a bowl of cereal. And made you pour your own milk.” She lifted an eyebrow at me, giving me a -it-up smirk before biting into her sandwich.

That look gave me goose bumps, but I shook it off and took a bite from my egg sandwich.

The taste of burnt food engulfed my taste buds. "Yah.. What the.." I pulled away the bread, revealing a very burnt egg.

"Yeah.. I may have burned a couple of eggs.." Jessica said nonchalantly. "This one is fine, though." She pointed at a sandwich on the plate.

"Aish.." I mumbled harsh words under my breath as I grabbed the new sandwich and ate it.

“So I was wondering if it was okay to go see my friends today.” Jessica said.

“You sound like a child asking permission to go out.” I said.

“Well isn’t that kind of what it is? Pretty much.”

“I have been stuck in this house for four days straight, waiting for you to want to go out and do something.” I said. “Please do.”

“Awesome!” she squealed.

“But you do know I have to tag along?” I asked, making sure she hadn’t forgotten.

“Of course. That’s fine with me. Let’s get ready!” she jumped from her seat and took the empty plate to the sink.

“Wait, where are we going?” I asked.

“Starbucks. I miss Americanos.” She said as she washed the plate.

“Okay, well I’m ready whenever you are.”

“Alright, I’m going to change and then I’ll be down.” She went upstairs.

“Ugh.. I’m so jealous.. I want to go..” Hyoyeon whined.

~~~~~

“JESSI!!!!!” A girl with red hair screamed and ran towards Jessica, embracing her. A girl shorter followed behind.

“TIFFANY! SUNNY! I’ve missed you guys!” Jessica cried out as she hugged the short girl. They went into the Starbucks café and sat down at a table with only three seats.

Well this is awkward..

I joined the line of people and ordered a vanilla latte, before making my way to the corner of the room by a window. I had a clear view of all of the room and Jessica and I could check outside on the street.

Ten minutes into this little get together, I found found myself staring at Jessica unconsciously multiple times.

She looks so natural and bright with her friends.

Her laughs were more generous and genuine and her eyes had a bright glint in them that showed how happy she was. Her body language said she was comfortable as she reached over and grabbed the redhead's hand sweetly while she laughed.

She looked away from her friends to scan the room. Her eyes meet mine and stayed there for what felt like minutes, but was only probably a second or two. She looked away but looked back again and waved me over. I walked over nervously.

“Taeyeon, let me introduce you to my two best friends.” She said with a big smile on her face. “This is Sunny,” she pointed to the short girl with a blonde pixie cut. “And this is Tiffany.” she pointed at the redhead. “Girls, this is Taeyeon. She’s the officer me and Krys are living with.”

You’re her??” The one nameed Sunny asked, looking surprised. I nodded. “You’re so small!” she giggled.

I looked away, irritated by the statement and slightly embarrassed. “Yeah. I get that a lot.”

“Hush, Sunny. You’re shorter than her. You have no room to talk!” Tiffany said.

“Yeah, Sunny. Rude.” Jessica gave her a dirty look.

“I didn’t mean it to be!”

“Apparently she was at the f(x) Club last time we were there. She’s the one that scared that guy away from me. Remember how I told you I was pretty sure I was going to be and murdered that night?” they nodded. “Yeah, she’s the reason I wasn’t.” she crosseed her arms and smiled, as though she was proud to tell her friends that that was me.

“Wow, daebak!” Tiffany looked at me and gave me a big smile, her eyes disappearing.

Geez, they’re all beautiful. What’s with rich girls?

“Thank you,” I bowed slightly as gratitude for the compliment. I looked back at Jessica, “I’m going to go back to my spot now, okay?” her smile wavered before she nodded. I turned back to her friends. “It was nice meeting you two. Feel free to come to the house whenever you want to see Jessica on more comfortable furniture.” I smiled at them and walked back to my corner. I turned around and see Jessica looking at me before she snapped her attention back to the girls in front of her.

My heart fluttered. I noticed it had been doing that a lot when she looks at me. I hate it. Why is that happening? , I know why it’s happening, but I don’t want it to happen. I’m supposed to hate her. I’m supposed to hate all of that family for what they did. So why don’t I? Why am I always confused when I look at her?

“Surprise!!” I turned to see Hyoyeon beside me.

“What the hell are you doing here??” I asked, surprised to see her.

“I’m so bored in that stupid office by myself! I feel like I’m watching some American reality show, but now the house is empty and I wanted to see you guys!”

“You’re so dumb, Kim Hyoyeon! What if someone breaks in while no is looking??!”

“Calm down, woman! I’m sure stressing over everything doesn’t help you grow” she patted my head. “I have my tablet set up to view the cameras!” She pulled out her tablet and unlocked it, showing me all of the camera views. I let out the breath I had been holding. “Plus, Sooyoung has the same thing.”

“I’m actually looking at it as you speak.” Sooyoung said. “You should have at least told us before leaving, Hyo.”

“I know, I know. I just wanted to surprise Taeyeon!” she said, hugging me. “Where is Jessica? I wanna say hi.” She looked around at the tables and spotted her. “Aha! There she is!” she left me without another word.

“Hey, Jess!” I heard her say through the earpiece.

I watched as Jessica’s look of surprise turned into happiness as she introduced Hyoyeon to her friends.

“I remember you!” she said, pointing at Sunny. “Not much, but I remember seeing your blonde hair at f(x) and thinking ‘LOOK! A blonde Asian!’” She was loud enough that I could hear her without the earpiece. “And I remember saying that you were shorter than Taeyeon!”

“Oh my god, this isn’t happening..” I mumbled to myself as I turned around, facing the window.

“It’s happening, Tae.. I’m so sorry..” Sooyoung said. I could imagine her shaking her head, amused at Hyoyeon's usual self.

“Shut up, Kim Taeyeon!” Hyoyeon yelled. Once again I could hear her without the earpiece.

How embarrassing is this.. Tiffany and Sunny probably don’t even know what’s going on.

I was looking up at the sky when I caught sight of something.

What is that…?

I squinted at the rooftop of a building in front of the one we were in. I small bit of movement was seen, but I couldn’t make it out. Then all of a sudden the black form moved more until it was out of sight.

My eyes widened in realization and I grabbed at the gun in my side holster.

“Hyoyeon, stay here. Don’t take your eyes off of her.” I commanded as I walked out of Starbucks and toward the building the figure was on.

“What??” Hyoyeon asked, obviously concerned. “Wait, where are you going??”

“What’s happening???” Sooyoung’s turn to be alert.

I started my sprint to the back of the building with my gun in my hand. I stopped at the back alley of the building, but didn’t see anyone around. I looked up in time to see someone jumping from the building to the building behind it.

“!” I hissed, running down the buildings. I looked up and saw the figure once again; only this time, they weren't jumping to the other building. I couldn't see their face, but I could tell they were looking down at me.

I lifted my gun up at them. “FREEZE!” I screamed up at them. “SHOW ME YOUR HANDS NOW!”

I saw his hands lift above his head. “CLIMB DOWN HERE. MAKE ANY SUDDEN MOVEMENTS AND I WILL SHOOT YOU.”

“How about you climb up here instead, Officer.” He called down, dropping his hands.

“GET DOWN HERE NOW!!!” I screamed. The sun was blinding me, so even if I shot at him, it would be a complete miss.

“Not happening, lady.” He said. “If you stay down there, then we’ll be here for a while. But I’m not complaining. I’ll get to see your pretty little face longer.”

I put my gun back in holster and grabbed for the ladder. I don't take taunting well.

“Wait, Taeyeon. What are you doing?? Why aren’t you talking??” Hyoyeon asked, anxious.

“Taeyeon, you are not really going up to wherever he is, are you??”

I ignored them, focusing on the mission I planned in my head, and continued to climb. Before I made it all the way to the top, the guy on the roof jumped to the other building.

Dammit.

I finished the climb and saw him on the roof of the building in front of me.

“STAY WHERE YOU ARE!” I shouted at him. I couldn’t see the upper half of his face because he was wearing a mask.

“I don’t think so, sweetie.” he said before he ran off towards the next building.

“!” I yelled to myself before I began backing up. I looked at the rooftop across from the one I was on. There wasn't a lot of distance between the buildings, but I’m not a fan of heights.

I took a deep breath before shutting out all thoughts in my mind and running forward. Once I hit the edge of the roof, I pushed myself off of it. I was flying in the air only for a second before I landed smoothly on my two feet on the other rooftop. I didn’t hesitate and continued my pursuit on the guy in the hoodie. He was already two buildings in front of me. Faster than I expected, I had already made it to the end of this building and jumped off, landing on the next rooftop. This time I didn’t land so nicely as my ankle twisted under me. I barrel rolled before getting back to my feet, ignoring the searing pain from my right foot, sprinting once again. I jumped another building, but when I got up I notice he was nowhere in sight. I heared screeching of tires and ran to the side of the roof in time to see a black SUV speeding away.

I dropped to the ground immediately after, trying to catch my breath. I hate running. I. Absolutely. Hate. Running. When I go to the gym, I will do everything but run on the treadmill. Not to mention my short legs makes it impossible to catch anyone. Hyoyeon would have been able to get him. Even Sooyoung, who doesn’t like to work out in the first place. Her long legs would make it possible for her to reach him.

After a few minutes of lying down, I tried  to get up. “ARGH!!!” I cried out as I put pressure on my foot.

“Taeyeon?? Are you okay???” Hyoyeon asked impatiently.

“Argh.. Yeah I’m fine, Hyo. Just a oo.” I chuckled.

“Taeyeon, where are you?? I pulled Krystal out of school early just in case. We’re on the way to the Starbucks now.”

“That’s nice.. I won’t have to walk back there. Pick me up, Soo. I’m on the roof of the…” I looked down the rooftops, counting them. “fifth building in front of Starbucks. I hate heights, get me down from here..” I laughed at myself again.