The Truth

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Jessica’s POV

“Chairman Jung killed my father.”

If I didn’t have all of my attention on her before she said those words, I sure as hell did afterwards.

“Wh-what..???”

“Your dad is the reason mine is dead.” Taeyeon said.

“Wh-what d-do you mean???” My head was spinning from her words. “Why would you say that?? My dad is not a murderer.”

“You have to hear what I say with a clear mind, Jessica. If you want to know the story, you have to calm down before I can tell it.” Taeyeon’s voice was calm but sad. She pulled me closer to her, her fingers through my hair. She knew the right ways to calm me down. After a few moments, I relaxed enough for her to start.

“Okay..” I said quietly. “I want to listen.”

“It was eight years ago today. My dad and I were on the way back home from shopping for Hayeon’s birthday present. Her birthday wasn’t for another month, but I was so excited to get her something, that I couldn’t wait that long to get it. Dad drove me there. Said he wanted to know where I got the present and how much it was and all of the information. He wanted to steal it from me and give it to her as his own present.” She chuckled.

“He was joking, of course. But we were on the way back home when someone swerved into our lane at the last minute. The driver was going over sixty on a forty-five mile-per-hour road. We swerved in time to not hit the car dead on. He hit the side of our car and we flipped a few times. I woke up at the edge of the trees beside the road, with a big pole stuck inside of my stomach.” I automatically reached for the scar I always saw on her side. “Yeah. That’s where I got the scar.

“I managed to get up to find my dad even though my leg was broken in four different places. He was thrown out of the car as well. I found him on the road, face down in a pool of blood..” Her voice shook, fighting to stay steady. I could tell she was trying to hold back tears. “I passed out right after that. I woke up in the hospital twelve days later. My dad was in ICU still. I was told the accident was caused by a drunk driver. The drunk driver wasn’t harmed from the accident. Maybe a cut here and there, but that was it. The drunk driver was Chairman Jung.”

My heart dropped. I remember eight years ago when my dad called us when we were in the states and told us he was in an accident. But he told us that a drunk driver had hit him. He lied?

“Chairman Jung didn’t get arrested or anything. He paid to keep his name out of the news reports and paid a lot to stay out of jail and away from court. And since neither my dad nor I had died right off the bat, they didn’t do anything about it. But that accident had done my father over completely. His brain was damaged from the accident and he had to stay in the hospital. He was in a comatose state. It got worse as time went by. Four months later, he passed away from a seizure.” Her voice cracked. I wiped tears from my face. I heard her stifle a cry. She didn’t continue. I wiped her tears from her cheeks; she pulled away a little, wiping her face. Her tone became darker.

“Chairman Jung was already off the hook, so my father’s death didn’t have any justice. I lost my dad, while no one even knew who did it. He didn’t send his condolences; send money for the hospital bill, nothing.” Her voice softened again. “When school started again, I was completely different. I got in fights all the time, skipped school; I almost didn’t make it through my junior year. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were always there for me, though. They stuck with me through it all. They’re just as much family as my actual family.”

Silence struck when she finished. I snuggled closer to her. “I can’t believe it… I had no clue he did that…” I said. “I’m so sorry, Taengoo.. I wish I had known…”

“Don’t be, Sica. It’s not your fault. I took it out on you when I shouldn’t have. And today, it was just a hard day—“

“I understand, Taengoo. I completely understand. How have you been able to be around us at all after that happened?” I couldn’t imagine the pain she’d been going through since the day my car blew up.

“I love you, Jessica. I can be around you because even though your father did what he did, I couldn’t hide the way I felt for you.”

“I love you, Taengoo.”

She kissed my forehead. I snuggled into her before slowly drifting off to sleep again.

“I’m glad my brother and sister like you.” I stirred awake again. No sleep for me tonight, I guess.

“Yeah,” I grumbled. “I like them too. They’re nice.”

“So..” She trailed off.

“Hmm?”

“What happens after all of this?” She asked. I looked up at her.

“What do you mean?”

“When we catch these last guys, what happens?”

I didn’t understand. “What do you mean what happens?”

“When this is over, you won’t need me anymore. You won’t need me to protect you. You can just go your own way again..”

I looked up at her. “Taeyeon.. Are you being serious?” She didn’t say anything. “I’m always going to need you, Taeyeon. No matter when or where, I will always need you by my side. I don’t care when they catch him. I want to be with you, not just for now. I love you, Taengoo. Not just because I’m stuck in here, but because I love you.

I kissed her passionately. That night, we showed just how much we loved each other. When we were done, she went to sleep. I, however, could not get myself to sleep; as crazy as that sounds. I just couldn’t stop thinking about what she said…

 

 


There you have it. The truth is out! What do you think about that?? How do you think Jessica feels now? Now you understand all the stuff right? Thank you guys for the love!! I'm really hoping I'm not boring you all with my story now.

Sorry if there are mistakes in here, my computer is frustratignly slow right now. -.- I realized my updates have practically switched. Up In Smoke is usually supposed to come out around this time and this story is supposed to come out around the time that one does now. XD Don't rely on the days I used to put them up because they won't be updated on certain days anymore!

Love you guys! <3