A Talk With The Chief

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon’s POV

I woke up from my first dream in what feels like an eternity. A man by the door of the room noticed my waking and opened the door, speaking to someone outside. The chief stepped into the room.

He looked over at Jessica, Krystal, and Hyoyeon, who were all in the room. “May I speak to Taeyeon alone, please?”

Hyoyeon nodded and lead the sisters out. The man also leaves, leaving the me and Chief alone.

“Taeyeon,” He started. “How are you feeling?”

“Eh, I’ve been worse.” I said hoarsely.

“That you have, that you have.” He said, running his hand against the leather of one of the seats in the room. He didn’t say anything else, though it was evident that something was on his mind.

“Is there something you want to say, Chief?”

He looked up at me, sincerity in his eyes. “I think it will best if a new group takes over this case.”

“What??” I said. “Why would you think that??”

“Look where you are, Taeyeon.”

“Yeah, and it’s not the first time I’ve been put in a hospital bed from work.” I reminded him.

“Maybe it was a bad idea to assign you to this case, considering your history with Chairman Jung.”

“What are you insisting, Chief?” I asked. “Do you think I allowed the guy to break in and almost kill me???” My throat hurt, but I ignored it.

“What? No!! That’s nothing near what I was saying, Kim.”

“Chairman Jung asked for the best. That’s what we are. And you’re going to switch us out for some other guys the moment we’re needed the most??”

“Your job is to keep them safe from the men trying to kill them. And you get two reports of assault against you from Ok Taecyeon? Jessica’s boyfriend?”

“My job is to protect them from anything and anyone trying to harm them. Taecyeon was abusing her. I caught him putting his hands on her twice! Both times, she was hurt! I was doing my job!” Anger burned in me like a furnace.

The chief sighed and sat down.

“Chief, don’t do this. You can’t just take us off the case.”

He stayed seated without a word and takes a deep breath. “We tried to get the Jung girls to spend the night in the office or go to Hyoyeon or Sooyoung’s house last night, but they refused to leave your side. I see you’ve grown on them.”

“Yeah. They’ve grown on me too.” I said.

He looked at me for a few seconds. “I’ll ask them what they want. If they want to stay with you, then so be it. But it is obvious what their answer will be.” He got up. “Get better quick if you want your chance at questioning the man. He won’t budge with us.” He left.

Through the full length window on the inner wall of the room, I saw him pull what I assumed to be Jessica and Krystal to the side. The blinds were down though, so I didn’t see much of anything else. I looked down at my hands. The left, with my two fingers wrapped together; the right, with a tube sticking out of it. I forced myself to sit up. I have to pee. The soreness of my sides wasn’t as bad as the first time I woke up. The pain meds must be strong.

Jessica came in and rushed forward when she saw me struggling. “What are you doing, Taeyeon?”

“I have to use the bathroom.” I told her.

“Let me help you.” She said, grabbing my arm.

“I’ve got it. I don’t need help.” I said.

“Nonsense. You need help, babe.”

“No.” I said firmly. “I don’t. I can do it myself.”

She backed away a little, but left her grip on my arm, just in case. I won’t admit it to her, but I’m glad she didn’t let go.

After getting up, I stretched a little. My back cracks and it feels like a boulder has fallen off of me. Only my right side really hurts. My left side wasn’t too bad. Jessica led me to the bathroom and when I got in, I looked straight into the mirror.

Hyoyeon was right. My jaw was a gnarly shade of purple. My lip was busted again too. But other than that, my face looked fine. My neck was covered in bandages, so I didn’t know what it looked like. I pulled the bandages off and freaked out by the sight. My neck looked like the palette of a landscape painter. Different shades of browns, greens, and purples in the form of ten fingers around my throat. Just looking at them and I’m taken back to last night, when I honestly thought he was going to kill me.

Maybe he would have if he didn’t say that last thing he said.

I used the bathroom and went back into the room. Jessica watched me, but didn’t make a move to help. I adjusted the bed before getting back on, moving it into a sitting position. I’m sick of lying down.

Jessica sat beside the bed. She looked at me in shock. “You’re neck..”

I reached for my neck and realized I didn’t put the bandages back on. “Oh.. Yeah.. They were annoying me.” I said. She reached for my neck but hesitates like before. “It’s okay, Jess. I’m not going to break from your touch. I might break without it, actually.”

She closed the distance and gently touched my neck. I flinched from her cold fingers and she retracted her hand a little. “I’m sorry. Did that hurt?”

“No. You’re cold though.” I chuckled, but ended it with a cough. She stayed quiet and I looked at her sad eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“I was so scared, Taengoo..” She said quietly. “I heard you scream, and then those gun shots.. I-I.. I..” She struggled to keep her voice steady. I took her hand and kissed it.

“I wouldn’t let anything hurt you, Jess.” I said. “Or Krystal. He didn’t have a chance.”

The ends of her lips quivered upwards. “Doesn’t look that way from here..”

I smiled. “I’ve been through worse.” I motioned her to come closer.

“Why?” She asked.

“I want a kiss.”

“Ew. Not with that busted lip.” She said, crossing her arms.

“Rude. You’ve already done it before.”

“One time was enough.” She said, hiding a smile.

“You’re going to deny me a kiss after I almost died for you?” I said with false sadness.

“Oh, I have a feeling you’re going to ride on that for a long time.” She said.

“Yep. Probably.”                                                                                                        

She laughed, but leaned closer and pecked my lips. She tried to pull back, but I pulled her close again and kissed her more.

“Oh my god, not again.” Krystal said behind us. I looked over to see her at the door with a disgusted look.

Jess and I laughed.