Much Needed Time

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon’s POV

My eyes fluttered open as I heard birds chirping. “ing birds…” I groaned as I clutched my throbbing head in my hands. Last night was a blur and I only remember bits and pieces of it. At some point, Hyo and I competed with a couple of guys at Club f(x) to see who could take the most shots without having to go to the bathroom to puke or giving up. I know later today, Hyoyeon will probably be bragging about being the winner.

I looked at the clock on my nightstand beside the bed. 2:15PM. Holly , I slept through half of the day?

I slowly got up, ignoring my nagging brain. I shuffled down the stairs.

“I’m handing you my position of designated drinker tonight, Soo.” I heard Hyoyeon said before I made it into view of the dining room and kitchen, where Hyoyeon was. I stopped where I was and listened.

“Why? You do so well as the drinking partner and I’m the sober driver!” Sooyoung’s voice came next.

“After last night, I seriously need a break. I don’t want to drink for at least a week. Just thinking about alcohol makes me want to puke..” Hyoyeon said.

“Really?” I heard Hayeon say. “Are you sure you have some left? I thought you did enough in the bathroom last night and this morning.”

“Oh, you don’t even know, Hayeon. She was like a fountain of vomit before we left the club. I didn’t know who needed more help. The drunk crying Taeyeon, who passed out in the bathroom stall or the vomit fountain Hyoyeon, who almost flooded the other stall while she hurled everything she drank in the already full toilet.” Sooyoung and Hayeon laughed, which hurt my head even more.

“Yah..” Hyoyeon mumbled. “Keep it down..”

Was I really that much of a burden to my best friends right now? I knew they were going to the club with me every night to watch over me, but I didn’t know I was that much of a deal that they had fought over who had to drink with me and babysit me..

I decided to make my presence known and join them in the dining room. Hyoyeon was the first to see me and she looked like a train wreck.

“Good afternoon party animal.” She said with a wide grin and half open eyes as she gripped a cup of coffee.

I sat across from her and slumped over against the table as my head screamed at me. “Mmmmm…” I groaned.

“Poor thing.” Sooyoung said from the kitchen counter. She gragged a couple of plates and brought them over to the table, setting them down in the middle. “I made everyone lunch and I’ll be making everyone dinner tonight. Eat up, sleepy head. It’ll help with the hangover.”

I looked up to see a pile of sausages and eggs on separate plates. Hayeon brought over another two plates stacked high with pancakes and bacon; a real American breakfast just the way Sooyoung likes. Hyoyeon was the first to serve herself.

“You guys stayed the night?” I asked as I slid food onto my plate.

“You guys got home at like four last night.” Hayeon said through a mouthful of eggs.

“Hyoyeon was so drunk,” Sooyoung said as she piled seven sausages, four pancakes, and five eggs onto her plate. I watched her in awe as she drowned her pancakes and bacon with syrup. I have known the girl for so long and it still amazed me how much she can eat. “you couldn’t pull her away from the toilet unless you wanted to be mopping the floor all day today. I thought it was best if we both just stayed. I knew you’d need some homemade cooking today.”

“Soo, I’m going to puke some more if you eat all of that.” Hyoyeon groaned in disgust as she watched our best friend shove a forkful of syrup soaked pancakes into .

“So I figured we would all just ditch work today and have a lazy hangover day. Chief won’t care since we have no jobs to keep track of right now.”

“That sounds perfect to me!” Hayeon exclaimed rather loudly, causing both Hyoyeon and I to grab our heads. She uttered a guilty “I’m sorry” and went back to filling her stomach with Sooyoung’s cooking.

“We can have a sober girls’ day in the house. That way Hayeon can spend time with her big sister.” Sooyoung looked at me in a mock accusing way.

I knew she was just messing around with me, but after hearing what they thought earlier, I did feel guilty. Both for taking them out drinking all the time and for leaving Hayeon at home every night.

Throughout the day, the girls did a pretty good job of keeping my mind from drifting. We played board games all day as we ate. Yuri and Yoona dropped by and we got them to stay. Hyoyeon called up the guys too so it was a full house again. Seohyun came as well. We were just missing a couple of people..

“So much for sober girls’ day.” Sooyoung murmured when the guys tumbled in with beer. “Dammit, you didn’t tell them not to bring any drinks, Hyo.” I could see the nervous glint in Sooyoung’s eye.

“We didn’t know, our bad. Want us to leave it in the car?” Seungri offered.

“No, it’s fine.” Sooyoung sighed.

“I won’t drink much.” I told her. She gave a disbelieving look. “You can watch me if you want! I’ll only have two cans, okay?”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes before giving me her approval. The sober girls’ day turned into a party in a matter of minutes as the guys brought in two boxes of beer and everyone cracked a can open—except for Hayeon—as we started our first of many rounds of Flip Cup.

Sooyoung stopped paying attention to how much I was drinking after her fifth drink and started stumbling over her words. Everyone had seemed to have gotten drunk, though Sooyoung and Jonghyun were the drunkest since they were back to back winners of most of our drinking games. Surprisingly, I was the least drunk aside from my little sister and Seohyun. I didn’t want to be a burden to Hayeon tonight.

I noticed Hayeon sitting on the couch on her phone while everyone was at the dining table playing a game.

“Bored?” I asked as I sat beside her. She quickly hid her phone from my view and smiled at me.

“I’m fine, unnie.”

I looked at her suspiciously. “Do you have a boyfriend, Hayeon?”

Hayeon let out a forced laugh. “No, unnie, no boyfriend.”

“Then who’s that you’re texting, huh?” I nudged her shoulder playfully. She smiled and motioned like she was zipping her lips closed. “That’s what I thought. If I find out you’re hiding a boy from me, I’m going to pick the both of you up from school and scare him senseless.”

“Unnie!” Hayeon cried out and smacked my arm.

I handed her a red solo cup filled with beer. “Have a beer.” I offered.

“You must be drunk to give me alcohol in front of all these cops.” Hayeon eyed me. “Are you testing me?”

I laughed. “No! I’m not even that drunk, I promise! You just look lonely and left out and I don’t like it. It’s just one drink. We’re all dirty cops anyway, Yeon.” I winked at her and she laughed as she took the cup from my hand. “Just don’t tell Jiwoong oppa on me.”

She took a sip and screwed up her face in repulse. I cried out in amusement. “That’s disgusting, how can you drink that??” She handed the cup back to me.

“It’s an acquired taste. I’m glad I got that reaction from you though. When Krystal drank with us, it was obvious she had experience. You’re my innocent little sister still!” I wrapped my arm around my sister’s shoulder. She looked at me in concern but I didn’t know why at the time. I hadn’t even noticed that I mentioned Krystal at all.

“Want another sip?” I asked, offering the solo cup again.

She shook her head and pulled away. “No thanks, unnie.”

“Just a few more years and you can come drinking with us!” I called to her as I joined the group at the table again.

A couple of days later and I was back in my depressed state. I knew Jessica wasn’t texting me because her phone was being held from her, but every day I still half expected my phone to go off and it’d be her messaging me or calling me. I wish Krystal would message me too..

I would message Tiffany and Sunny too. They would reply back all the time; up until I mentioned Jessica or Krystal and then I wouldn’t get a reply back.

“Why hasn’t Chief assigned us to anymore cases?” Hyoyeon groaned from her desk in the office, tossing the tennis ball into the air and catching it to do it again.

“Maybe there are no new cases?” Sooyoung said.

“Ha!” I let out sarcastically. “No cases. That’s funny, Soo.”

“Well I tried, didn’t I?” She offered a laugh.

“Maybe someone should talk to him.” Hyoyeon said. “It’s so damn boring every day.”

“Not me. I don’t even want to see him.” I said bitterly.

Beep Beep Beep Beep

Sooyoung took the popcorn out of microwave and split it into three small containers so we each had some. She put another popcorn bag in the microwave for herself.

“Maybe all the new cases just aren’t high enough to be assigned to us.” Sooyoung tried again.

“Or maybe he just doesn’t want one of us to start ing them again.” I said as a joke. The others didn’t find it as funny as I did and sat quietly. I sighed and went back to eating my popcorn and writing. Since coming into work today, I have been so bored that I’ve gone back into writing song lyrics like I did when  was younger. It kept me from emotional turmoil when I wrote.

My phone vibrated and I opened it to see a new message from Hayeon.

From Hayeon:

          wen r u going to be off from work? im bored.

To Hayeon:

          Same here.. I’ll leave soon. See you in a bit.

~~~~~

After ten minutes of fighting about whether we should watch Tarzan or Mulan, Hayeon won with Tarzan and we dimmed the lights, popped popcorn, and cuddled up together in blankets as the movie went on.

“You’ll be in my heart~!” Hayeon serenaded to me. “From this day on, now and forever more!”

“You’re a loser.” I flicked her forehead and she cried out before nuzzling her head into my neck and tickling my sides. “Yah! GET OFF OF ME!” I cried through forced laughter. I pushed her off of the couch entirely and we ended in a fit of laughter.

“Thank you, Yeon.” I said when we calmed down and there was nothing else but adult Tarzan fighting a leopard.

“For what?” She asked from the floor.

“For being here. And being patient with me.”

“For being your sister is what I wanted to hear.” She nudged me.

I giggled. “And for being my sister.”

She looked up at me and smiled dearly. “Of course, unnie. I love you and I know what you’re going through is hard. I just hope you don’t do anything stupid.” She poked my stomach.

“I just wish I knew she was okay. And if she’s thinking about me as much as I’m thinking about her..” I felt the atmosphere in the room die. I knew I was making this bonding time with my sister depressing.

“I’m sure she is, unnie. How could she not? You two were perfect for each other. I bet she’s thinking of you right now.”

 

 


Short update but here ya go. I haven't read through it all so there might be a couple of mistakes. Tell me what you think!