Father Daughter Talk

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon’s POV

*Beep, beep, beep*

That’s the only thing I can hear.

*Beep, beep, beep, beep*

I take a deep breath. It smells like a school. I smell anesthetics. I’m not in a school.

I opened my eyes. The room was white, the curtains were drawn and there was a small TV hanging from the wall. I looked above me. I saw a bag of liquid and a small machine; the machine that’s beeping. I’m lying in a hospital bed. I looked to the side of the room and see a blonde girl sleeping in a chair. Another blonde girl is sitting in the chair beside her, on her phone.

And then I noticed someone sitting right beside me, their head resting on one of their arms on the bed I’m in. Their other arm is stretched out, holding onto my wrist. I was watching her as she slept, when someone entered the hospital room. I looked up to see a very tall and beautiful girl carrying a handful of food; chip bags, cups of ramen, soda cans, and a chocolate bar in between her teeth.

I smiled at the familiar sight of my always hungry best friend. Her eyes widen when she sees me looking at her and she sets her snacks in an empty chair.

“Taeyeon,” she said. “You’re awake!”

Hyoyeon looked up from her cell phone and put it away, standing up. Jessica jerked awake, looking a little lost. She looked up at me and it registers in her brain.

“Taeyeon!” She said, smiling. She reached to cup my face, but pulls away hesitantly.

I looked at her, confused. “Wha—“ My question was cut off as I coughed. My throat was burning and I lifted my hand to touch it. Instead of feeling skin, my fingers meet with cotton.

“Shh,” Jessica saids, pulling my hand away. “Don’t talk, okay?”

Krystal was now awake and standing above me like Hyoyeon and Sooyoung.

“Wa-water..” I managed to say.

Sooyoung gave me a bottle of water. I chugged it down, every swallow soothing my throat. After drinking, I tried to lift myself, but pain soars through my sides and my left hand. I brought my hand up to see my ring and middle finger wrapped up.

“You’ve got two broken fingers, a couple of cracked ribs and a bruised throat, and a badass bruise on your jaw.” Hyoyeon said. “But you should see the other guy.” She chuckled.

“D-did I.. kick his ?” I asked, hoarsely.

“Did you? HA!” Hyoyeon said. “You beat the out of him. He was lucky with his size and cheap shots, but his face is so jacked.”

“W-where is he?”

“I think right now he’s under questioning at the station.” Sooyoung said.

“H-how long h-have I b-been out?”

“Just for the night.” Krystal said.

“Tell them I-I want to q-question him.” I said.

“Is that a good idea..?” Sooyoung asked.

“It’s my j-job to do it. I w-want to do it.”

Hyoyeon and Sooyoung looked at each other. “I’ll tell Chief.” Sooyoung said.

“Ugh..” I said, trying once again to sit up.

“Babe, just stay still.” Jessica grabbed my shoulders and lightly pushed me back down.

“I’m fine, Jess.” I said.

“No, you just need to rest a little more. Don’t force yourself to be okay.”

“She’s right, Tae.” Sooyoung said. “Rest for a while. Recover first.”

A nurse came in a few minutes later and gave me something for the pain, which also put me to sleep. Within a minute, I drifted back into dream land.

Only, instead of my usual sleep, I didn’t have my recurring nightmare.

 

I walked into the house and prepared dinner.

“Unnie, you’re here!” A voice came from behind me. I turn around and see Hayeon, my younger sister smiling as bright as the sun.

“I got off early today, Yeon.” I said. “I thought I’d surprise dad with dinner before he got home.”

“He’ll like that!” She said, sitting at the dining table. I finished getting the food ready and placed it in the oven. I’m making lasagna. It’s my dad’s favorite American food.

I sat down with Hayeon. “Where’s Jiwoong?”

“He’s supposed to be coming over some time after dad gets back. He’s bringing Eunmi and the baby.”

“Great! Glad I made a lot!” I said.

Dad came home a while later, followed by Jiwoong and his wife and son, DaeJung.

“This is delicious, Tae. I miss your cooking every day from highschool.” Jiwoong said.

“Yah, Kim Jiwoong. I’m sitting right here.” Eunmi said, elbowing him.

“Of course, I love your cooking as well, love.” He said back, kissing her cheek.

Our dad laughs. “Of course Taeyeon cooks well. She got it from her mother.” He smiled at me and it warms my insides. I reached over and kissed his forehead.

“Thanks, appa. How was the checkup today?”

“Oh, the usual. My arthritis is no match for me, though.” He winked at Hayeon and she smiled.

“You know I love you all, right?” I said to the whole table.

They all looked up at me, surprised.

“Of course we know that. Why would you ask us such a thing?” Jiwoong asked.

“I haven’t gone to see you guys in a long time..” I looked down at my plate in shame.

“We understand, unnie.” Hayeon said, taking my hand in reassurance.

“Yeah, we know your job is here now.” Eunmi said, indicating the house we were in.

“Just promise you’ll come see us when it’s all said and done.” Jiwoong said.

“Of course. I miss you guys so much.” I looked at Hayeon. “Yeon.. I’m sorry I sent you to live with this oppa.” I pointed at Jiwoong.

“Hey!” He said.

“I know I should have kept you with me, but at the time, I didn’t think I could take care of you the way I know Jiwoong is.”

“It’s okay, unnie! I know you did it for me. I still love you!” she said.

We finished eating and my dad and I sat together in the living room.

“Dad..” I started. “I.. I’m confused..”

“With what, sweetie?”

“My emotions.” He waited patiently for me to continue. “I don’t know what to do.. About everything..” He took my hand and squeezed it, knowing where I was headed with what I was trying to say.

“I see.” He said.

“What should I do?”

“Well, honey. I can’t answer that for you.” I looked up at him. “I’m only going to be able to tell you what you want me to tell you. It’s your dream, after all. I’m just an illusion.”

“Well that’s helpful.” I mumbled. He chuckled.

“What do you want me to say?” He asked.

“I don’t know.. Something to help guide me..”

“Hmmm.. All I can really say is follow your heart, sweetie.”

“My heart is torn in two, though..”

“And someday, it will be whole again. You just have to let it. Maybe Jessica is the one to help you. I like her. She's a sweet girl.”

He kissed my forehead and embraced me in a hug. A tear runs down my cheek.

“Appa..”

“Hmm?”

“I miss this..” I said. “I wish you were still here..”

“Maybe if you didn’t have so many nightmares and more dreams, you would see me more. I love you, Taeyeon.”

“I love you too.”

“Now come on,” he said. “Play that song I love so much.”

 

 


Another very short chapter, but I really like it, honestly. It's the first time she's had a dream and not a nightmare. And you get to see her with her dad the rest of the family. And no, her brother and sister are not dead. They just meant visit them at their house. You get to see her interaction with her dad a little, even if it was just a dream. It brought a tear to my eye while I wrote it, but that's probably just because I know a lot more than you do about this story XD

So tell me what you thought of this chapter and I will see you soon!

Love you guys! <3