YoonYul

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon's POV

It had been a week since that incident that night when I slept in the Jung room. Almost two full weeks since Krystal and Jessica moved in. I was outside of the house mowing my lawn, and for some reason Jessica is out here too. She said she wanted to be outside in the sun, since she hadn’t left the house all week. She wasn't watching me, like I usually caught her doing. Instead, she was admiring the neighborhood. She told me earlier this was the kind of house she would love to live in for the rest of her life, instead of some big mansion. She’s definitely not what I expected to be, I can tell you that. I always thought she’d be stuck up like the usual rich girl is. Neither her nor Krystal are like that at all and rarely ever talk about the money they have, unless they offer to buy something.

Jessica.. I have to admit that she’s grown on me a lot more than I wanted. Especially this past week. After that night, I noticed she smiled at me a lot and was friendlier to me, and after my ankle healed completely, we stopped bickering so much.

My attention was on her a lot more too. If I watched her a lot before, I couldn’t take my eyes off of her nowadays. That sounds weird, but she doesn’t notice it. I stopped lying to myself that I wasn’t attracted to her after a few days. I’m definitely attracted to her. Every time she looks as me, it sends chills down my spine. Whenever we touch, I feel like I’m in one of those 5 Gum commercials. You know, those commercials where the person is put into some super cool simulation and at the end it’s like, “How it feels to chew 5 Gum”. Only for me it’s more like “How it feels to touch Jessica Jung”. I would rather touch Jessica than be in one of those 5 Gum commercials.

Bad Byuntaeng. Stop thinking those things.

After mowing the lawn, Jessica brought me ice cold water and we sat down on the porch.

“How are you feeling?” she asked me.

“What do you mean?”

“Your ankle. Is it really better now, or are you just saying that?”

“No, I mean it. It feels normal now. If it still hurt, I wouldn’t have mowed the lawn, duh.”

“I feel like you probably would anyway, actually.” She teased and nudged my shoulder with hers.

There goes that feeling again.

“Oh, so you’ve lived with me for two weeks and now you think you know me so well?” I teased back, giving her a nudge too.

“I’m still learning.” She said, smiling at me.

I looked away, blushing.

Soon after, my next door neighbors pulled into their driveway and got out of their car.

“Taeyeon! I haven’t seen you in a while, and we live right beside each other!” Yuri said happily. “Where have you been??” I walked over to the fence to meet with Yuri.

“I know right? I’ve been busy, though.” I scratched the back of my neck and looked back at Jessica, who was looking at me and Yuri. I motioned her over to me. “My job has been stuck in the house for the past two weeks now.” Jessica was beside me now, “Yuri, this is part of my job, Jessica Jung. The rest of it is in the house somewhere. Jessica, this is Kwon Yuri, and that over there,” I pointed to the other girl who was pulling bags out of the trunk of their car, “Is Im Yoona, my neighbors. Obviously, haha.”

Yuri turned to Yoona. “Yoong, come over here!” Yoona left the bags in the car and grabbed Yuri’s hand, intertwining their fingers.

“Hi!” Yoona waved excitedly. “It’s nice to meet you!” she’s always happy. When she and Hyoyeon are together, it's like the Energergizer Bunny on steroids.

Jessica smiled brightly, “Hello. It’s nice to meet you two.”

“So you’re Jessica Jung? The Jung Inc. Chairman’s oldest daughter?” Yuri asked. I looked at her with eyebrows raised. “What? I read the news, you know. I saw that picture of you two in that parking lot and figured she was here with you, but this is the first time seeing it.” She looked at Jessica, “You’re really beautiful.”

Yoona scowled at Yuri. “Not as beautiful as you of course, love.” She said, pecking Yoona's lips.

Jessica didn’t seem surprised. I guess she had already figured that they were a couple from the hand holding, the living together thing, and the rainbow flag on their porch.

The irony of living next door to a gay couple. I’ve lived in this house my whole life. And when I was old enough to live on my own, my brother moved out and left the house for me. By the time they moved in two years ago, I was already on my own for the previous two years. Once they moved in, they were so friendly to everyone, but because they were so open about their relationship and hanging a pride flag since day one, they came across some not-so-friendly people in this neighborhood. For a while after settling in, I always found them wiping egg off of their door, or taking toilet paper down from their tree, or repainting their fence or house after kids would vandalize it. It enraged me that people were doing that to probably to friendliest people on the block. I truly felt for them because I could relate to it.

When I came out in high school, I was bullied for a long time. That bullying kept me from being so open like they were. I found myself at their house a lot, helping them clean up the vandalism or just spending dinner at their place. Soon enough, we became really great friends. Yuri and I are gym buddies, since she’s a health fanatic, and Yoona is the party animal that has to come to every party along with Hyoyeon.

“Hey, why don’t you two come over later for dinner or something? You can meet Baby Jung and we can catch up.” I offered.

“What do you think, honey? A day at the Kim residence sound good with you?” Yuri asked Yoona.

Of course she's asking permission. The usual Yuri. Completely whipped.

I chuckled to myself.

“I think that sounds like a great idea! I’ve missed seeing you!” Yoona bounced on her heels like a child getting cotton candy, causing everyone to laugh.

“Great! Sounds like a plan. I look forward to seeing you guys!” I said, waving goodbye to them and going inside, Jessica following behind.

“They seem really nice.” Jessica said once we were inside.

“Yeah, they really are.” I replied back.

“So my favorite couple is coming over tonight???” Sooyoung asked.

“Yes, Soo. Does that mean, you’re coming over again?” I asked. By this time I had gotten used to the voices in my head and the Jung sisters are used to me talking to no one in the room.

“Hell yes!”

“No!” said Hyoyeon. “I want to leave this office for once! You come here instead so I can go eat with them! It’s only fair!”

“You know.. She’s got a point, Soo.” I said.

“But—“

“You can come over next time they come, Soo.”

“Yeah Sooyoungie. Next time.”

“Ugh… Fine..” she groaned.

“That was fast.” I said. “I was expecting a huge argument.”

“She understands what I’m saying right now.” Hyoyeon said.

~~~~~

Everyone was over now and set for dinner. The Yoonyul couple brought over food as a welcoming present for the Jung sisters, so the meal was a feast!

I pulled out two extra seats from the closet so we were all sitting at the table squeezed in comfortably (somewhat), chowing down on our meal. I was sitting at one end with Hyoyeon at the other. The couple was on one side and the sisters were on the other side, Jessica closer to me.

“How’s the gym without me, Yul?” I asked her.

“It’s the same old thing. All the guys stare at me like I’m piece of meat. Only now you’re not with me, so I’ve got all of their attention.. It’s so annoying.” Yuri groaned.

I let out a laugh. “Whenever Yuri and I go to the gym we have literally every guy’s eyes glued to us until we leave. It’s unsettling the way men will just watch us instead of pay attention to their own workout.”

“Well you two are hot!” Hyoyeon exclaimed. “What do you expect?? Guys don’t think with their minds. They have a different organ that thinks for them!”

“EW NO STOP NOW!” I cried out. Yuri dropped her chopsticks and covered her ears, while Yoona covered so we wouldn't see the chewed up food and she laughed, open like an aligator. Krystal and Jessica were laughing as well, and Hyoyeon had a completely innocent look on her face.

“God, you guys are so gay!” Hyoyeon bellowed. “It’s true! Jessica knows what I’m talking about!”

At that comment, I went quiet and looked at Jessica who just nodded in agreement.

Okay, I did not want to imagine Jessica in bed with a guy…

“Ew, unnie! How can you agree with me sitting right beside you!” Krystal pushed Jessica. The whole table laughed, including me.

“Ugh. I’m so jealous right now..”

“Hush up, Sooyoung!” Hyoyeon said, sticking her tongue out at a camera.

“Sooyoung says hi, guys.” I said to Yoona and Yuri. “And she wishes she could be here tonight to see you guys.”

“Aw! We miss you, Sooyoungie!” Yoona said, waving at the same camera.

“So tell us about yourselves.” Yuri said to the Jung sisters.

Jessica became shy, “There’s not much to say, honestly..”

I looked straight at her, “Don’t lie, Jess. There’s plenty to say.”

“Oh yeah? Like what?” she said, leaning her head onto her hand and looking at me, sending chills down my body.

“Well first, you were born and raised in the US; California to be exact. Once you graduated high school, you came to Korea so your family could be closer to your father, who was here the whole time for his company. The both of you learned most of your Korean when you moved here. You’re going to SM University now for Musical Theatre, right? Speaking of which, when are you going back? You haven’t gone for two weeks already. You don’t live with your parents anymore and you have like, two friends. I guess they’re the only people who can tolerate you—“ I smirked before being interrupted.

“Yah!" Jessica said. “Hyoyeon and Sooyoung are my friends now! They can tolerate me!”

“That’s not tolerating, princess. That’s doing their job.”

“Hey now,” Hyoyeon butted in. “Don’t throw me into this!”

“Or me!”

“Don’t be so mean, Kim Taeyeon.” Jessica said, narrowing her eyes at me.

“I’m not. I’m just stating facts.”

“I happen to think of Jessica as a friend, actually. Sooyoung does too.” Hyoyeon said.

Jessica gave Hyoyeon a sincere smile, “Thank you Hyoyeon and Sooyoung—“

“Well anyway,” I cut her off. “she has a cold aura that radiates off of her. Her friends told me one time when they were over that her nickname is Ice Princess for that very reason. Ummmm…” I thought for a moment, smiling slightly. “What else? Nothing left that’s important to know, I guess.”

Jessica opened to retort when Krystal spoke first. “What about me? My turn!”

“Okay.. Things about Krystal Jung.. Hmmm… Well, you’re now in your last year of high school. You plan on going to SM University as well for the same thing as your sister, right?” she nodded. “I have yet to see any of your friends, though you claim to have more than Jessica.” I smirked at Jessica again. “You’re also known to have a cold personality, but I have never witnessed it. I actually enjoy your presence a lot, while Jessica is more of me forcing myself to enjoy being around.” I then gave wink that could be interpreted to be for Krystal or Jessica.

There was silence for a moment while everyone mulled it all over in their mind.

“That was interesting…” Sooyoung said.

“Well, I guess we know now!” Yoona broke the silence and conversation started up again.

“What about you two?” Jessica asked Yoona and Yuri. “Tell me about yourselves. How did you meet? What do you do?”

“Well,” Yuri started. “I also went to SM University, but I majored in photography and graduated last year.”

“And I went there for journalism.” Yoona said. “But I dropped out after my second year.”

“Yeah, but we met in your first year at the university.” Yuri let out a chuckle. “The moment I saw Yoona, it was like love at first sight for me. I tried getting her attention for a while—“

“But I wasn’t interested. I admit, I thought she was cute, but I had also heard that she was a player—“

“Which was true. I was a bit of a player when I met her.”

“She was trying so hard to woo me and I just wasn’t giving her the light of day.” They laughed together.

I've heard this story a couple of times, but I probably will never get tired of listening to it. My romantic mushy side has always wanted something like this.

“But one day about two months since she had been bothering me, I finally told her I would go on that stupid date she wanted to take me on. Just so she would get it over with and leave me alone. I didn’t expect much from it. I expected her to take me to some cheap restaurant and spend the whole time trying to flirt and make moves on me.”

“You thought so horribly of me!” Yuri cried out, looking at Yoona. Yoona took her hand and held it tightly.

“Well, you surprised me, baby.” She said, smiling at Yuri. “She didn’t do anything that I thought she would do. She told me to dress nicely and took me to an amazing restaurant that you needed to have reservations for—“

“My uncle owns the restaurant though, so I didn’t need reservations. I had told him that I was going to bring the woman I wanted to spend my life with there soon, so I had the hookup.”

“So she took me to this stunning restaurant and didn’t hit on me once. The only flirting she really did was to telling me how beautiful I looked in my dress. Her personality was so different than what I expected from the known Ace of Hearts player, and we spent the whole dinner telling each other about our lives. After dinner, we went for a walk in the park. She didn’t even hold my hand. I was kind of disappointed about that, actually. When she took me home, I thought about how she might have acted that way to grab my attention enough to take me to bed with her that night or something. Nope. She walked me to my door and bid me good night without a kiss on the cheek or anything. She was such a gentleman.”

Yoona kissed Yuri on the cheek before continuing. “So for a full month, we went on dates, but we weren’t official. I was waiting for her to ask me to be her girlfriend, but it never came. I started thinking that maybe she was seeing other people as well and I started ignoring her calls and texts. On November third of my freshman year, she did what I had been waiting for her to do.” Yoona said with a twinkle in her eye as she thought back to the day. “I came to school that day without knowing what was going on. After one of my classes, I walked down the hall and started noticing pictures. She had put every picture of us that she had taken down a hallway. I followed the pictures down the hall and found her standing at the end of it with a rose in her hand and a crowd of people watching.”

Yuri had an embarrassed on her face now as Yoona finished the story. “It was the best day of my life.” She said.

The table started clapping. Hyoyeon was “woohooing” as though she was at a concert.

“So you two aren’t married yet?” Krystal asked.

Yoona gave Yuri a look and Yuri hesitated. “Uh.. I’m waiting for the right moment.”

Yoona rolled her eyes, “You always say that. When is the right moment? When I’m too old to walk down the aisle??”

The rest of us laughed.

Yuri changed the topic as she continued the story. “So we were dating all through college, but Yoona left school after her sophomore year because she didn’t want to be a journalist anymore. Now, she’s a self-proclaimed writer and I have my own photography studio. Two years ago, we took a step forward in our relationship and moved in together, so now here we are living beside a fellow lesbian. I’m grateful to have moved next door to Taeyeon. With all of the hate we went through when we moved here, it might have been a lot worse to go through without her support. And the fact that she’s in the protective services made people stop their vandalism a lot sooner than if she wasn’t.”

I smiled, feeling proud.

“You guys are so cute. Get married and have a happy life together!” Krystal said.

Five minutes later, Jessica spoke up again. “How did you know all of that stuff about us in the first place, Kim Taeyeon?”

“I read them in your files.” I said honestly.

“You read our file?” she repeated. “That’s creepy, don’t you think?”

“Not at all,” I said. “I had to know more about the people I was going to live with, didn’t I?”

“So all you know about me is from what you read in my file?”

“Nope, that’s not true.” I looked at her. “You’ve been here for two weeks, you think I haven’t learned anything about you?”

“Like what?” Yuri challenged.

Oh my gosh, they’re ganging up on me.

“Like how you pick and chew on your fingernails unconsciously when you’re bored or concentrating on something, but they never seem to be messed up. I know you hate cucumbers because one day I put some in a salad and you freaked out and refused to go near it. You can’t cook to save your own life, and you squeal like a dolphin.”

“Oh yeah? You always zone out and have this blank expression on your face.” Jessica said. Hyoyeon and Sooyoung laughed. “You sleep talk so much, you actually have conversations in your sleep. One time, you went to sleep and sleep walked all the way downstairs, into the kitchen, opened the fridge, stared inside of it for like a two minutes, closed it, and went back to your room. Sooyoung and I just watched you. Sooyoung even asked you what you were looking for and you said “More! More!”.” Jessica mocked my sleep talking voice.

"Yah! Don't tell people that! And you're one to talk! I've never met someone who blanks out as much as you!" I exclaimed.

For the rest of the dinner, we all talked about things we knew about each other. When it was done, we played a game of Rock Paper Scissors to see who would wash the dishes. Jessica and I lost.

We were doing the dishes quietly for a bit until Jessica spoke up. “You have something on your face.”

“What? Where?” I asked, whipping my face, forgetting that my hands were covered in soap. I smeared the soap foam all over my cheek, causing Jessica to burst out in laughter. “Not funny!” I said, though I couldn't keep myself from laughing.

“You’re such a dork!” she said to me, grabbing a towel from one of the drawers. She came back and put the towel to my face, wiping the soap off for me. In that moment, electricity runs through me as I looked at her. I couldn't tell if she was doing it slowly or if the world had just slowed down, but it felt as though she was taking her time wiping my cheek. Our close proximity had multiplied the butterflies in my stomach into a swarm of them flapping furiously, trying to escape my body. My eyes shifted from her eyes to her lips and I imagined what they would taste like and how they would feel on mine. I tried my hardest to not lean in and press my lips to hers when—

“Hyoyeon… you are missing this moment going on in the kitchen.” Sooyoung’s voice brought me back to reality.

I divert my eyes and break away from her touch, face back to the sink and cleared my throat. I guess she took notice in my discomfort and did the same. We began washing the dishes in silence.

“You have something on your face again.” Jessica said, looking at me with concern.

“Oh my god is it a bug or something??” I freaked out.

The next thing I knew, my face was covered with soap again along with my hair. I opened my eyes to see Jessica doubled over laughing with soapy hands.

“Oh you think that’s funny??” I cried out, scooping a bunch of soap bubbles into my hands and smushing it onto her face.

“YAH” she yelled, putting her hand in the sink water and splashing me. I splashed her back and she grabbed the hand spray and sprayed water at me. I reached for the closest thing to me to use as a shield for my face, but slipped on the wet floor, pulling her down with me.

Hyoyeon, Krystal, Yoona, and Yuri ran over to find us lying on the ground beside each other laughing hysterically.

 


And now we meet the YoonYul couple! YoonYul is my second favorite ship of SNSD, so they will probably always be coupled in any future fanfics. I don't maybe. Unless they're not XD I also wanted to show their relationship a little further that just meeting them, so I added how they met to give them more personality and history. I think they're a cute addition to the story's family and Taeyeon's family.