Checking The Basement

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Jessica’s POV

“OH MY GOD, I’M PREGNANT!”

“Jonghyun’s awake.” Taeyeon said beside me at the table.

Everyone tried to keep from laughing, but couldn’t. After a few seconds, half of us were groaning from our throbbing heads.

“How can you start eating without me?” Jonghyun said, sitting beside me.

“We waited long enough, hyung.” Seungri said. “You were the first to pass out and the last to wake up.”

We ate as quietly as possible while still making conversation. After eating, most of us were outside hanging out by the pool. Taeyeon was in the pool on a float and I was lying on a lounger out of the pool. Krystal and Amber were inside relaxing on the couch last time I saw them. Aside from our hangovers, it seemed like it would be a good day. We leave later today, but before that, we're making the most of our last day here.

Yesterday was the first day Taeyeon and I didn’t have to hide. I thought Krystal would be really upset at me for being with another girl, so it was a huge relief to know she was fine with it.

“Well this has been a great weekend.” Tiffany said in English in the lounger beside me. Usually when we speak alone, we speak English. “Nichkhun has made more friends. Maybe now he’ll hang out with them instead of Taecyeon and the other s.”

“Jun K’s a nice guy.” I said. “We should have invited him. He would have enjoyed it.”

“Yeah, well the other guys . But maybe next time we can bring him.”

“Babe.” Taeyeon said from the pool.

“Hmm?”

“Come in here.” She said.

“Not a chance.” I said. “I was kind of worried that we wouldn’t get along with the boys, honestly.” I said to Tiffany in English again.

“I know what you mean. I thought Nichkhun was going to be awkwardly left out of their group, since they seem to know each other from way back.” Tiffany said back.

Taeyeon appeared above me, blocking the sun. “Can I help you?” I said, uninterested.

She didn’t say a word. Instead, she shook her head like a wet dog, splashing water all over me and Tiffany.

“YAH! What do you think you’re doing, mutt!” I said. She snickered and walked into the house.

 

Amber’s POV

“I really don’t remember that much..” Krystal said. We were laying on the couch together, she was on one side and I was on the other, our feet entangled together. She rocked her legs from side to side, dragging mine with hers.

“There wasn’t really much to remember.” I said. “There was a lot of dancing. Lots of drinking.”

“Did I do anything stupid?” She asked.

“Well it is you so probably. But I don't think so.” I said.

“Well.. Who did I dance with?”

“Uh.. Well you danced with me most of the time. And Seungri.” I tried to hide my jealousy. “Taeyeon, a couple of other people.”

“Seungri?"

“Yeah. You were with him for a while too. He totally wanted you.”

“He’s kind of cute.” She said nonchalantly. I pretended that didn’t bother me.

“I guess. If you like guys.” I said with as little emotion as I could.

“But I danced a lot with you, right?”

“Yep.”

“That’s all that matters.” She said, picking at her fingers.

“There was no one better to dance with.” I said. “I’m the best you can get.”

She chuckled. “Well, there is always Seungri.” She sang.

I kicked her leg lightly and she sniggered, amused.

“Did I say anything..?” She asked.

“What do you mean?”

She hesitated. “Did.. Did I say anything to you?”

“You’re asking if you confessed your love to me?” I teased.

“More like I’m asking if I told you how much I hate you.” She kicked me.

“Haha, well no. You did neither of those.”

“Dang,” She said. “I don’t have the guts to tell you how much I hate you when I’m sober.”

“Oh yeah?? You hate me??” I sat up from the couch and reached my arms to her sides, tickling her.

“Yah! Stop!” She fought back, sitting up as well, but I still had a good hold on her sides. “I’m gonna kick your , servant!” she yelled through her laughs.

“Apologize!” I said.

“No!” she cried out, holding her stomach and lowering her head just inches away from mine. She looked back up and I had no idea what came over me.. I stole the last few inches of distance between us and kissed her.

I pulled away as fast as I pulled in, horrified by my actions. Krystal was looking wide eyed up at me.

“I-I’m so s-sorry.. I-I have no idea w-what came over me… I’m so sorry, K-Krystal.. I-I didn’t mean to.. I’m so sor—“

Krystal grabbed my face and pulled me closer, kissing me. My mind went blank. I had no clue what was happening.. She backed away and looked at me.

“Don’t be.” She smiled.

“Wha-what..? I-I thought you were straight?”

“I’ve been questioning that for a while thanks to you.” She caressed my cheek.

“Seriously? F-For how long? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“It’s been like two months. And I don’t know. I was confused..”

“I have wanted to be with you since I got to know you.” I admited. “I never would have imagined you saying this to me.”

“Well, surprise.” She said through her smile before kissing me again. And this time, I was kissing back.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

I turned around and headed back outside before the two on the couch noticed I was there. Just kidding. They wouldn’t know if I were standing right in front of them right now. I laughed at my own joke. I looked up at Jessica, who was still relaxing on the lounger. Eh.. I won’t tell her about it.. I’ll let Krystal do it.

~~~~~

“I hope that we all meet up together again soon and do this.” I said to everyone in the front yard. We packed our things back into our cars and we were all ready to head back to our homes. “I’ve missed seeing my boys.”

“Awww, we’ve missed you too, shorty!” Jonghyun said. They tackled me into a big group hug.

“You can bet your we’ll hang out again soon.” Onew said.

~~~~~

“Geez, Princess. Just because I call you one doesn’t mean you are one.” Amber said. “Get your big feet off of me.”

“Well how about you move your body from my feet.” Krystal retorted.

“Fine. I’ll switch with Sulli.”

“No!” Krystal cried, grabbing Amber’s arm before she got up.

“No standing up while the car is in motion.” I said. “You never know what can happen. Especially right now with this ty weather.” I looked out the window up at the grey clouds covering all of the sky, causing it to look later than it really was. It’s not raining yet, but it’s definitely about to.

“Yeah, Am. Don’t you think about moving.” Krystal said.

I smiled to myself.

I dropped Seohyun, Luna, Sulli, and Amber off and the rest of us headed home. “So Hyo.” I said into my earpiece.

“Talk to me.” She said.

“What did the guys say about my house?”

“They said it was nice and quiet the whole time.”

“Perfect. I figured.”

“Why do you say that?”

“I’m getting this feeling they have something planned. I don’t know how to explain it though.”

“I know what you mean.”

We arrived at the house and the first thing I did was search the house. You know, just in case. Nothing out of place, nothing out of the ordinary.

“Everything alright?” Jessica asked when I sat down on the couch. She layed her head on my lap.

“Yeah, we’re good. Where’s Krys?”

"In her room.”

“Well..” I started. “You know it’s our first day together as an official couple?” I her hair. “Official as in, everyone knows.”

“Technically, not everyone knows. My mom and dad don’t. Your siblings don’t.”

“Yeah… We can keep it like that..” I said.

“Do your brother and sister hate my father too?” I ignored her question and kissed her hand. “I’ll take that as a yes. Why?” she asked.

“Let’s talk about something else, Jess.” I said.

“But I’m curious. Do you know him personally?”

“Jess..”

“I do remember him saying you looked familiar.”

“Jessica.”

“Did he screw you over with money?”

“JESSICA.” I let out firmly. She stopped talking. “Enough with the questions. I can’t talk about it.” I got up from the couch and went to my room. I couldn’t stay down there with her after talk of her father. It bothers me too much. I know she’s probably hurt from me just walking away like that, and because of my feelings towards her dad, but I guess she’ll just have to deal with it for now.

I plopped onto my bed and groaned in frustration. I felt like I was being quartered. You know how back in the Medieval times, they would kill someone by tying each arm and leg to a different horse and once the horses ran, you’d be ripped apart? Only one of those horses was my family, one was Jessica, one was my past, and one was the present day. And let’s tie my neck up too and add Chairman Jung. And right now they’re just taking small steps away from me, slowly tightening the ropes.

A loud clap of thunder erupted. I looked out the window to see it was raining cats and dogs outside.

“Tae..” Hyoyeon said quietly. I didn’t answer. “You know, sooner or later you’re going to have to tell her.. If you’re really serious about her, you’re going to have to..”

I sighed. “I know, Hyo.. It’s just…”

“I know..”

I sprawled out in my bed listening to the rain and thunder. Just knowing Hyoyeon and Sooyoung are here with me in a way is comforting. Unknowingly, I drifted to sleep..

 

 

*CRACK*

I jerked awake from the loud thunder. I heard a squeal from downstairs. It sounds like Jessica is scared of thunderstorms. I looked at my clock. 10PM. Damn, I’ve been sleeping for a while.

I turned my bedroom light on and rubbed my eyes to adjust to the bright light.

*CRACK*

The light turns off. A louder squeal sounds from downstairs.

“Wait, what happened?” Hyoyeon sounded alert.

“What?”

“The cameras are out.” She said.

“The storm cut them off along with the lights.”

“The lights are out? They’re not over here.”

“What? No. That can’t be. The cameras are connected to something else. The storm couldn’t shut them off.” Sooyoung said, also sounding alert.

“Then it’s not the storm that cut them off.” I said. “Sooyoung, get here as quick as you can.” I grabbed my pistol from the nightstand and a flashlight from the drawer.

“Hyoyeon, start the cameras back up with the emergency setting in the office.”

“Working on it now.”

I left the room and shined my light down the hallway. Krystal was just now leaving her room too and looked over to me. I could see the fear in her eyes.

“I can’t see anything, Unnie.” She said.

We went downstairs to find Jessica curled in a ball on the couch. I pulled her to me and she hugged me.

“I hate storms.” She said.

“Soo, how far are you?” I asked.

“I’m coming as fast as I can, Tae.”

“Okay, the cameras are coming back on. But I gotta do them one at a time, so be patient.” Hyoyeon said.

“What’s wrong, Taengoo?” Jessica asked.

“Don’t worry. It’s gonna be fine.”

“Everything is fine upstairs.” Hyoyeon announced.

“You think it could have just been the storm?” I asked.

“It can’t be. The cameras wouldn’t have gone out. And the lights didn’t go out over here.” Sooyoung said.

“Stay right here.” I told the two sisters. I walked to the window and looked across the street. None of the lights were on in the houses over there. But then again, a bunch of old people live here so they were probably sleeping already. I opened the front door.

“What are you doing??” Jessica said.

I turned around and put my finger on my lips, indicating to stay quiet. I turned back outside. It was pouring out. I walked out and looked over at Yuri and Yoona’s house. A light downstairs in their kitchen was on.

I went back inside. “You’re right. Yuri’s lights are on.”

I pulled my phone out and dialed Yuri’s number.

“Hello?” She answered after the third ring.

“Hey, can you do me a favor? It’s kind of important.”

“Sure thing, what’s up?”

“Can you come over real quick?” I asked. “Sooyoung is on the way now but I don’t know how long it’ll take her and I need someone else here right now.”

“What’s going on?”

“I don’t know exactly.. But I know it's something.” I said.

“I’m coming now.” She said and hangs up. Not even a minute later, she knocked on the door. I let her in and she was soaked.

“I was in the rain for like fifteen seconds and I’m drenched.” She said.

“First floor is safe.” Hyoyeon said.

“So what exactly am I here for?” Yuri asked.

“Our lights are out.” I said. “And yours aren't. And our cameras went down when they shouldn’t have.”

“Are you saying someone cut our lights off?” Jessica whispered, fear obvious on her face.

“Basement! Someone’s in the basement! I just saw movement!”

I didn’t hesitate. I pulled a book off of the shelf and opened it up, revealing a gun inside. I grabbed a flashlight from the side table and gave both objects to Yuri.

“You know how to use this, right?” I asked her.

“Of course.” Yuri said.

I faced Jessica and grabbed her face in my hands. “Do not leave Yuri’s sight.” I looked at Krystal. “Either of you.” I kissed Jessica’s cheek and turned away, going toward the basement door, making sure to be as stealthy as I could. I opened the door and closed it back before going down the stairs. I flipped my flashlight on and pointed my gun, looking around the large room. I didn’t see anything but what was supposed to be in there.

“Hyo, I don’t see—“

Pain hit the arm holding the gun and the gun goes flying from my grasp. Before I have time to react, I feel impact against my jaw and I dropped to the ground, dazed. I looked up only to see a silhouette of someone standing above me.

 

 


I don't even know what to say about this chapter. I shall let your minds wander around until the next update! *insert evil laugh here*