Back To Before

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Sooyoung’s POV

It had been a week after they took the sisters away from Taeyeon. They took them away from all of us, but Taeyeon.. Taeyeon took it the worst. It’s completely understandable. I mean, she was the one dating Jessica. They took away the one thing she had to look forward to every day again. The poor girl has been through a lot of loss, and this doesn’t help one bit.

“S-Soo..yah..” Taeyeon called out to me. I looked at her sitting beside me with another empty drink in her hand. I lost count of how many drinks she’d already had.

“Hmm?” I said back to her.

“Wi-will you dance.. with you?” she stumbled through her words but I understood what she meant.

I gave her a sad smile. “Of course, love. I’d love to dance with you.” She led me to the dance floor.

This is how it has been all week. We find ourselves at the club every night chaperoning Taeyeon in her spiral into intoxication. Well, I guess it’s more like me chaperoning Tae. Hyoyeon ends up drinking along with Taeyeon so she doesn’t feel so bad drinking alone. At first we were going to take turns drinking every night, but after my first hangover, I gave Hyoyeon that job full time. Right now, she’s who knows where on the dance floor.

This was not what Hyo and I meant when we talked about celebrating at the club after the case. Not even close..

When it’s not time to go to Club f(x), Taeyeon is off somewhere, avoiding as much time in her house as possible. I guess she feels too alone in there now. Or there are too many memories again. I offered to stay there with her, but she refused.

“Yeah, I know I have a nice smile, thanks!” Hyoyeon’s voice comes through the earpiece.

We got rid of the cameras in Taeyeon’s house the same day the girls were sent to another group, but we kept the earpieces. We got so used to having each other to talk to twenty-four-seven that we just couldn’t part with them. Plus, Taeyeon said she didn’t want to be completely alone when she was stuck in her house.

“Soobaby,” Taeyeon started. “You’re uhmazzzzing, ya’know that?”

“I’m aware, of that. Thanks, babe. But no making out with me this time, Kim Taeyeon. Got that?” She nodded.

Throughout the week of Taeyeon getting hammered drunk, she’s been trying to make out with me. Every night. Okay, not really trying, since I allow it to happen. Not because I like Taeyeon like that, but because as sad as it sounds, I know it’ll help her clear her mind from the bad. The alcohol may help with that, but it’s obvious that it’s all still in her thoughts. We don’t want that, so I’ve allowed her to advance on me a couple of times. Jessica may not like that if she were to find out, but I’m doing it for the sake of my best friend’s sanity.

Two hours later, I was in a bathroom stall with Taeyeon, her hair in my hands as she hurled her depression, along with the last ten drinks she had, into the toilet. I her cheek. “What am I going to do with you, Tae…” I mumbled more to myself than to her.

I heard a sob from her as a couple of tears dripped into the toilet bowl. I hate seeing her like this.. But this is her way of coping with a loss: drowning her sorrows in the bottom of a Bloody Mary.

“Come on, Tae. Let’s go find Hyoyeon and go home.” I lifted her up, out of the bathroom, and back into the crowd of identically intoxicated testosterone and estrogen to find the dancing queen.

 

Author’s POV

Late in the next day, Taeyeon woke up. She looked around the room she was in, confused.

Where am I? She asked herself. She definitely wasn’t in her own house.

“Unnie…” a soft voice said quietly. She turned to where the voice was heard and found her little sister Hayeon sitting at the other couch, staring at her.

“Hayeon? What am I doing here…?” She asked, realizing she was in her brother’s home.

“Sooyoung unnie and Hyoyeon unnie dropped you off at like three in the morning last night.”

 

“Oppa,” Sooyoung started the moment Jiwoong opened the door. “Can I drop Taeyeon off here?”

Hayeon came barreling down the stairs at the sound of Sooyoung at such an hour of the night.

“She needs to be looked after a lot lately.. She’s not doing so good again after.. You know..” Sooyoung finished.

“Of course we’ll take care of her, Sooyoung.” Jiwoong said, giving Sooyoung passage into the house as she hauled an unconscious Taeyeon with her. “We don’t have an extra bedroom though, so just set her on the couch.”

Sooyoung layed her down on the couch. “Thank you. I’m sorry for the late night visit; I just don’t want her to be alone…”

After Sooyoung left, it was just Hayeon and Taeyeon in the room together. Hayeon sat down on the floor in front of the sleeping Taeyeon and watched her. She saw as a tear formed and rolled down her unnie’s cheek. Hayeon wiped the tear away, feeling tears well up in her own eyes.

“What can I do to keep you from crying more, unnie…”

 

“I have to go into work today.” Taeyeon said, getting up from the couch. It was her first day back after a week and she would be going in hungover.

“Right now?” Hayeon asked.

“Yes.” Taeyeon looked at the clock to confirm. “I need Jiwoong oppa to drive me back home so I can get my car.”

“Okay, unnie.” Hayeon got up from the couch. “I’ll go get him.” She gave Taeyeon a sad smile before leaving. That’s all that anyone seems to give Taeyeon anymore: sad smiles; but she doesn’t notice them. She hasn’t been thinking of much for the past week.

Taeyeon unlocks her phone and reflexively goes through her messages with a certain someone.

To Sicachu:

Baby, we’ll make it through this. I know we will. They can’t just take you away like that. I don’t care if it was your father that did it or God himself. I’ll get you back, I promise.

To Sicachu:

Sica, I love you. I don’t care if you’re not in the house anymore. I miss you 3

To Sicachu:

Text me back, babe. I miss you..

To Sicachu:

Sica.. I’ll wait for you. I can wait until they find those bastards so you can be free from everything. And then we can be together again. :) Don’t give up hope.

To Sicachu:

I don’t really know why you’re not replying back to me.. I miss you.. Please, at least just say something…

After a few days, Hayeon had updated her on what was going on.

 

“The day they were sent to another home, I was texting Krystal. She told me that their phones were going to be confiscated by the new officers and they were only going to receive messages from certain people. The rest would be deleted. She never replied back to me after that, so I’m guessing I wasn’t one of those approved people.”

“So she’s not ignoring me?” Taeyeon asked.

“No, she just isn’t getting your messages, unnie. Don’t let it worry you too much.”

 

But it did worry Taeyeon. She was worried about many things. When were these men going to be caught? When could she see Jessica again? When would Jessica finally see her messages and be able to reply back? What is Jessica doing right now?

It was a routine now to text Jessica every day in hopes that she would finally get a reply. She wrote her latest message and pressed send right before Jiwoong came down the stairs.

To Sicachu:

I miss my Ice Princess keeping me warm at night.

~~~~~

Sitting in the office felt so unfamiliar to Taeyeon. After all, it had been a couple of months since she needed to come in and sit down like this. Hyoyeon and Sooyoung were tossing the tennis ball at each other. After a few failed attempts at getting Taeyeon to join them, they gave up. They knew plenty about this side of Taeyeon and they knew that as much as they wanted to be able to get rid of it, there wasn’t really a right way to pull her out of the state she was in. It took time and patience that they had learned to have a long time ago.

Taeyeon was just staring at her computer monitor in silence. She hadn’t said much the whole day, like usual. She was slowly dozing off to sleep in her seat when suddenly, her phone began vibrating. She grew anxious by every vibration as she fumbled for her phone in her pocket.

Could it really be Jessica calling? She finally pulled her phone out, only to read the caller’s name to be Hayeon.

She answered the phone, annoyed. “Yes?”

“Unnie, I want to ask you something..” Hayeon called Taeyeon nervously, but after hearing her sister’s tone, she became more and more nervous.

“What is it, Hayeon?” Taeyeon demanded.

“Well.. You’re all alone in the house now, right? It must be pretty lonely there. And I miss being with you so much. So I was wondering…” Hayeon trailed off, hoping Taeyeon would get the message.

Taeyeon only sat there with her phone pressed to her ear as her eyes welled up with tears. After moments more of silence, she finally spoke. “I would love it if you moved back into the house, Hayeon.”

“Good answer, unnie. Because I was going to move back in anyway!” The normal bright mood Hayeon had returned with Taeyeon’s welcoming words. “I’m already packed, so when you get off from work, I’ll be at the house!”

When the phone conversation ended, it was just Taeyeon and Hyoyeon in the room. The two looked at each other, waiting for the other to say something first. Feeling uncomfortable from Taeyeon’s dead stare, Hyoyeon ended up being that person.

“Soo went to get us some food.” She said.

“Of course she’s getting food.” Taeyeon said. She meant it as a joke, but her tone came out wrong.

There was a more silence. “So my favorite Kim sister is moving back in?” Hyoyeon was desperate to bring a smile onto her best friend’s sad face.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Is all she got back in reply.

                ~~~~~

The day was coming to an end, but Taeyeon stayed in the same state she was in from the morning: dejected. Her partners could only watch as she continuously checked her phone for messages that would not be there.

“Okay, well that seems to be it for the day.” Hyoyeon sighed in relief after the day’s work. “Files are filled, papers are typed, let’s go home.”

The girls were out of their office without hesitation. As they made their way out of the hallway containing half of the offices, a door opens and a woman peeks out to see Taeyeon. She smiles and takes a step into the hallway, leaning against the wall coolly.

“Officer Kim Taeyeon. Just the person I wanted to see.” She gave off a devilish smile. Taeyeon only stared, confused.

“What do you need, Jea?” Taeyeon asked.

“I’m about to step out of the office for a moment and I was hoping you could keep an eye out on Krystal and Jessica for me.” Jea said, her smile never fading.

Taeyeon was confused only for a second longer. “You’re the group that was assigned to them?”

She took a step toward the open door of Jea and her partner’s office, but Jea stepped in front of her, blocking her path. “You know what.. I change my mind. I’m not going to step out. Thanks anyway.” She was about to close the door when she turned around and stepped out of the room again. “Oh and by the way, I wouldn’t bother texting her, you know. She’s not getting any of it and you’re just making yourself look pathetic texting someone so much.”

At that last sentence, Taeyeon had had enough. She couldn’t control herself anymore. A week of holding in her anger was enough and her small frame couldn’t carry it all anymore. She moved like a bullet as her fist hit its target: right at Jea’s nose. Jea didn’t take a moment of hesitation before she pounced at the shorter girl. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon, however, were quicker and separated them before any more harm could be done.

Jea’s nose was blood red, but no sign of actual blood was visible. “You !!!” She cried out, trying to claw her way out of Hyoyeon’s grip. Taeyeon was being pushed further and further down the hallway and closer to the building exit by Sooyoung as Jea spit her venomous fury at her.

“Let go of me, Sooyoung.” Taeyeon brushed the tall girl off of her once they were out in the moonlit night. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself but found it unsuccessful. Hyoyeon joined them outside. “I can’t do this right now.” Taeyeon said.

“You know she was just doing that to get under your skin. You know how she is, Tae.” Hyoyeon said.

Taeyeon clenched her fists tightly as her anger seeped off of her like slime. “I need a drink.”

“What about your sister?” Sooyoung asked. “She’s at the house right now waiting for you to get there.”

Taeyeon thought about that for a mere two seconds. “She’ll see me tomorrow.”

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon only looked at each other before they headed off to Club f(x) once again.

 

 


I didn't get the chance to proof read this and fix any mistakes. I'm off to my first day at work now so I hope you enjoy this chapter! Tell me what you think!! <3