Just A Dream

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon’s POV

The sun was slowly setting, leaving the sky a beautiful orange and pink and blue. Or at least, it would have been beautiful if I could see the sky. But I can’t. The sky is covered by trees, but mostly, it’s covered by smoke.

I’m lying on the dirt. I blink my eyes multiple times, but no matter how much I do, everything's blurry. I try to get up, but as soon I do, intense pain erupts in my side. I scream out from it and look down. There’s something sticking out of my ribcage. I grab at it but retract my hands from the pain.

“DA—“I attempted to call out, but yelling hurts to much. I ended in a fury of bloody coughing.

That’s when it hits me. I finally understand what’s going on. I know where I am. I know what has happened and why I’m in pain. And the next thing that comes to my mind makes me force myself up, ignoring the searing pain in my stomach and leg. I manage to stumble to the street before I fall onto my hands and knees. I look up to see the horrible scene in front of me.

“Dad!” I cry out before another coughing frenzy. I get up again and walk into the road. “Dad!” I call out once more. I have to find him. I see another part of the aftermath once I make it to the other side of the road, in the trees. Just by looking at it, I can tell he’s not there.

I look back into the road and that’s when I see him. I make it to him as fast as I can—which is not exactly fast, with what seems to be a broken leg—and collapse in front of him.

“Dad..?” I shake him lightly. No response. “Dad..” I say again. Nothing. That’s when I notice the blood on the street. He's lying in a pool of blood. I stare blankly at him, frozen in place. “Dad…” Tears roll down my cheeks. I call for him absentmindedly as my tears grow into a river. “DAD!!!!” I scream.

 

I bolted up from the bed, trying to catch my breath. I’m dripping in sweat.

“Hey, what’s going on?” A hand grabbed my shoulder.

“N-nothing..” I said, whipping tears away. “Just a bad dream...”

Jessica wrapped her arms around me from behind and kissed my back. “You have those a lot, I’ve noticed.”

“Yeah.. I do..”

“They say that a person who has nightmares every night of their life is in pain.” Jessica said.

“That's from the Wolverine movie we just watch yesterday...”

She pecked my cheek. “But that doesn’t make it any less true.” She lied back down on the bed, pulling me down with her. “Go back to sleep, Taengoo. I’ll keep the nightmares away."

Doubtfully.

 

Jessica’s POV

“So what time will you two be here?”

“Uh, not too long. Maybe an hour. What’s so important that you have to tell us in person?” Tiffany asked.

“Well, for one, I want to see my two best friends. Can’t a girl see her friends without it being for some other reason?”

“Yeah, but you already said you had something to say, smartass.” Tiffany said on the other end of the phone.

“Well, I do. But I also want to see you guys. It’s been a while. Come over quick!”

“Okay, babe. I miss you too.”

“Good. Tell me when you’re on the way!”

We hung up and Krystal joined me on the couch. Well, more like joined the couch on me. She plopped herself on top of me and I reflexively pushed her off. She fell to the floor.

“YAH!”

“Don’t sit on my next time.” I said indifferently.

“You can sit by me, Baby Jung.” Taeyeon said. Krystal got up and joined her on the loveseat. Taeyeon throws her arm around my little sister’s shoulder and Krystal giggles. A pang of jealousy hit me.

I give Taeyeon a get-your-arm-off-of-her-or-I-will-rip-it-off look. She simply smiles at me and leaves her arm in its place.

“So what time are they gonna be here?” She asked.

“Dunno.” Is all I said, once again indifferently as I grabbed a magazine and flipped through the pages.

An hour later, the doorbell rang and Taeyeon got up to check it.

“Jessie!” Tiffany screamed at me, running into the house and hugging me. Sunny comes in after greeting Taeyeon. “I’ve missed you, Jess!”

“I missed you too, Fany. And Sunny, of course.” I hugged Sunny. Krystal greeted them as well.

“Don’t think I forgot you, TaeTae.” Tiffany said to Taeyeon, giving her her eye smile.

“Great to see you two again. It’s nice to see people other than these two.”

Sunny and Tiffany laughed while Krystal and I scowled at Taeyeon.

“Okay, so come upstairs so I can talk to you two.” I said, ushering them up the stairs. Once in the room, we planted ourselves onto the bed.

“So what is this important news you need to tell us?” Sunny asked, curiously.

“Okay..” I started. “So I guess I’ll start with the hard news..” They sat impatiently for me to continue. I had been planning on telling them about Taeyeon and I since we started as a couple a week ago. I haven’t told Krystal yet, and I thought telling my two best friends would be easier than telling my one and only sister. “So.. You know Taecyeon and I are no longer together, right?” They nodded. “You were right, Tiff. About the abusive side that I hadn’t seen from him.”

“What??? He hit you???” She exclaimed. ”That mother fu—“

“There’s no need, Fany-ah.” I laughed at her protective best friend mode. “We’re not together anymore, so it doesn’t matter. But before that, I had been having feelings for someone else…”

“Really?” Sunny said, edging closer. “Who is he?? Do we know him??”

“Well.. The thing is…” I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. It’s now or never. “It’s not a him. It’s a her..”

I kept my eyes closed as I waited for their outburst. When none came, I opened them back up. Tiffany was staring at me with a straight face, no expression whatsoever. Sunny’s mouth was open just barely with an eyebrow lifted. She closed into a straight line and lifted her eyebrow more.

“Told you.” She said, nudging Tiffany. What..?

“You told me nothing. I said it too.” Tiffany nudged Sunny back, her expression changing from nothing into a playful smile.

“What’s going on..?” I asked, absolutely confused at their reactions. I was expecting questions and semi-offensive remarks. Not this.

“Oh please, Sica-yah.” Tiffany said. “We knew there was something going on with you and Taeyeon.”

“Yeah,” Sunny chimed in. “That day at Starbucks, we saw your wandering eyes. And that stupid little smile on your face when you were introducing us.”

“And the times when we’ve hung out after that, you were either talking about how annoying she was or about how she was being nice that day, or just anything involving her. You practically had a sign on your head saying 'I’m Totally Crushing On My Protection Officer.'”

They both laughed together. Was I really so obvious? “So are you trying to say that you two are officially a thing now?” Sunny asked.

“Yeah..” I said, still a little confused.

“Wait, okay, so who made the first move?”

“Uhm.. Well.. I kissed her first.”

“WOHOO!” Sunny cried out and fist pumped into the air. Tiffany groaned and put her face in her hands. “TWENTY BUCKS, MISS I-KNOW-JESSICA-JUNG-BETTER-THAN-YOU-DO!!”

Tiffany pulled a twenty dollar bill out of her purse, mumbling to herself, and handed it over to Sunny. “Dammit, Jung Sooyeon. I thought you had better resistance than that!”

“Wait..” I finally grasped everything that was happening. “You two bet on who would make the first move..?”

“I won!” Sunny put the bill to her nose and inhaled.

Tiffany opened the bedroom door and called Taeyeon up. They both sat on the bed and my two best friends began their congratulatory words and threats to Taeyeon.

“I’m happy for you, Jessie!”

“Good luck dealing with that, Taeyeon.”

“Your job is protecting people, so I’m sure you’ll do a good job of protecting Jess, but I’ll say it anyway. Take care of her.”

“If you hurt my Ice-sica, I’ll kick your . Well, you’ll probably end up kicking my , but I’ll try my best.”

“Oh. My. God.” I groaned and planted my head down on the bed. “This is embarrassing.”

Taeyeon laughed and squeezed my leg. “If I hurt her, Tiffany, then I will try to hold back so you can kick my .”

I laughed along with the rest of the girls. “Oh!” I shot back up. “I almost forgot. My birthday is coming up.” I reminded them. “And we’re having a party.”

“Where?” Sunny asked.

“Well.. I’m not really sure—“

“Jessica can send you the address.” Taeyeon said abruptly. “And we’ll be there for probably two or three days. Bring someone if you’d like, of course. Boy, girl, dog, whatever.”

“I’d invite Nichkhun, but I don’t want him to feel lonely, being the only guy—“

“A couple of my guy friends are going, actually. Bring him along, I’m sure he’ll be fine with them.” Taeyeon assured.

“Great! I’ll tell him tonight!”

“Well, I’ve got dinner ready, so if you guys would like to eat here, you’re free to join.” Taeyeon stood up, ready to go downstairs.

Everyone else joined. “Wait.” I stopped them. “Krystal doesn’t know about us.. So be careful with what you say.” They nodded and went downstairs to eat.

 

 


I guess Jessica wasn't hiding it as well as she thought she was. Seems like everyone knows! Her birthday party is coming up! I'm excited for for the chapter(s). Why does she think that everyone will respond poorly of her relationship with Taeyeon? It's the 21st century, Sica, not the 50's!

How about that dream, huh? Now you all know what the mysterious stoamch scar was from. But it adds more mystery.. XD

Thank you guys for your support in this story and your awesome comments! The last couple of chapters have been pretty short, I know. I'm sorry! Don't kill me! I'll make it up to you in the next one!