Set Me Free

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon’s POV

We brought the piano upstairs and set it in its rightful place, where it had sat all my life until my dad’s passing. When we sat down, I noticed Hayeon no longer had the baby. Jessica was bouncing him on her lap with Eunmi sitting beside her, DaeJung holding her finger and staring deep into Jessica's eyes. It was the cutest sight I had ever seen. And the DaeJung pulled Jessica's finger close to his face and started nibbling on it, saliva dripping from her now soaked finger.

“Look at that,” Jiwoong said chuckling. “DaeJung’s welcoming you to the family, Jessica.”

Jessica laughed and looked up, a bright look on her face.

“I like her too, unnie.” Hayeon said to me. Jessica looked back at DaeJung, her cheeks flushed.

Eunmi and I switched seats so we could sit by our significant others. I still felt uncomfortable about it with my family in the room. It was obvious to see Jiwoong wasn’t lying about how they all liked Jessica and wanted me to be happy and wouldn’t judge me for being with a Jung, but I still felt guilty.

I placed my hand on Jessica’s knee and squeezed. She looked up at me, surprised that I was giving her attention for the first time today, I’m guessing. Guilt was pulling me on both sides now.

“Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” Hayeon started chanting. Everyone joined in. I could tell Jessica was too shy to look up, only keeping her eyes on my nephew in her lap.

“Come on! Don’t be a wuss, Taeyeon!!” Hyoyeon shouted over the cheering.

As nervous as I was, I couldn’t hide my smile and the moment I saw her bouncing DaeJung on her lap, I realized how much I had missed her today. I lifted her head towards me and kissed her. The room was filled with woohoo’s and claps and when we parted, Jessica was blushing.

“Jiwoong, Eunmi, Hayeon,” I said. “This is Jessica, my girlfriend. I’m really thankful to have you guys here. You’re my family, and I should have called or something earlier, but I’m just glad I can introduce you to her now.”

“I’m so happy to see you happy, Taeyeon-ah.” Eunmi said. Eunmi and my brother have been together since they were in high school. We’ve been like sisters for a long time and she knew me when my dad was still here. She was there for my player side when Hara left me. She witnessed all of my falls and my ups and downs.

“So what song are you playing first?” Hayeon asked.

“Are you really going to force me to play?” I asked.

“Of course. Because you might not ever play it again if we don’t.” Jiwoong said.

I groaned and sat myself down on the piano bench.

“I haven’t heard you play in forever. I’m so excited!” Sooyoung said.

“It’s our first time listening to you play, unnie!” Krystal exclaimed.

“Not my first time.” Jessica said. “She played one time at my university. It was amazing.”

“Any recommendations?” I asked.

“Play dad’s favorite song.” Jiwoon requested.

I played song after song after song for them. The longer I played, the more relaxed I felt. The stress I was feeling evaporated and I let the music carry me away. Yep. Definitely missed this.

“You know what song you should do?” Hayeon said. I looked at her. “That song you wrote about your ex-girlfriend. Hara, was it?”

“Wow, that’s unexpected.” I raised my eyebrows.

“Yeah, I know. I never told you this before because you were going through a hard time, but that’s one of my favorite songs. And I loved hearing you sing unnie, you know that!”

 

Jessica’s POV

*Recomended song to listen to for part: Set Me Free by Taeyeon*

“You sing?” Yoona asked Taeyeon.

“You wrote a song for your ex?” I asked.

“Well, I didn’t write the song for my ex. I wrote it about her.. And I haven’t sang in ages. I’m probably not even good anymore.”

“Nonsense!” Hyoyeon exclaimed. "You sing when you’re drunk and you sing in the car and you’re definitely still good. And I liked that song too!”

Taeyeon gave up refusing after everybody wanted to hear her sing. She turned back to the piano and sat there motionless.

“Any time, unnie.” Hayeon rushed.

“Hold on, dammit. I have to get in the mood.” She said back. “Cheating girlfriend, cheating girlfriend, cheating girlfriend.” She chanted to herself, causing everyone to laugh. "This song is called Set Me Free."

She started playing. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of listening to her play. She looks amazing in front of that piano and she looks so beautiful when she gets into the music.

“The thing I suddenly remembered was your smile.
I keep trying to erase it but it just gets clearer.”

The moment Taeyeon began singing, my heart stopped. My breath caught and the whole room was dead silent except for her and the piano. It was as if everyone else in the room stopped breathing as well to hear my beautiful girlfriend sing. I know I’m a good singer, but Taeyeon had the most perfect voice I’ve ever heard in my life.

"Love.
All of the stories we shared together,
Now they are in the past."

She put everyone from the SM University to shame. I never knew this side of her and I wanted to learn more.

"The thing that suddenly passes by is the smile inside of me.
I keep trying to bring it back but it just gets farther away."

Though she wrote this song before of her ex-girlfriend, whom I had never met nor ever wanted to, I had to admit that I absolutely loved it. It hurt me to know that she was this hurt from the girl.

"Love.
Our happy moments were like precious stones."

I never wanted her to feel like this again..

"Set me free, let me be.
The more I am in pain, the more you well up in my heart.
Set me free, let me be.
This isn’t right, like a fool, I keep shedding tears."

When she finished singing, she turned to look at us. We were all still just sitting down in silence staring at her in awe. Hayeon started clapping and the rest of the household joined.

~~~~~

I felt the surface below me shift and I stired awake. “Hmmm?” I mumbled, looking up to see a silhouette beside me.

“I’m sorry, Sica. Did I wake you?” Taeyeon’s voice came from the silhouette.

“Mhmmm.” I rolled back to my comfy position. I had no idea how I ended up in the bed. The last thing I remembered was dozing off on the loveseat with DaeJung sleeping on my stomach while everyone was focused on their conversation about Taeyeon going to the hospital after the basement incident.

I was already drifting back into dreamland when Taeyeon ripped me right back out.

“Are you still awake?” She asked.

“If you keep bugging me, I’m kicking you in your stupid face, Kim Taeyeon.” I hissed at her. I don’t care who you are, you do not mess with my sleep.

She didn’t anything for a few more minutes.

“Are you mad at me?” She asked this time.

“I’m getting there now. Leave me alone.” I grunted.

A few minutes more, she spoke again. “I’m sorry, Sica…” She half whispered. I couldn’t tell if she was saying it to herself or to me again. The tone in her voice took my attention away from sleep and on to her.

I turned around to face her. “What’s wrong, Taengoo?”

“I thought you fell asleep already..”

“I can’t when there’s obviously something wrong with you. What’s wrong? Why are you sorry, baby?” I ran my fingers up and down her arm to soothe her.

“I’m sorry about today..” She finally said. “Up until the last minute, I was ignoring you. I didn’t even give you a reason. I didn’t introduce you to my family, I didn’t do anything until later.. I know you must have been upset about it.”

“I wasn’t upset as in angry, Taengoo. I may have been a little upset as in sad, but there wasn’t a moment in which I was mad at you for it. I figured you’d tell me what it was when you wanted to. I don’t have the right to pry it out of you. I know today must have been a hard day for you and I—“

“You have every right to know why I was the way I was today.” She interrupted. “You’re part of the reason I was like that.”

“What..?” I didn’t understand what she meant by that.

“I shouldn’t have kept this from you for this long.. There’s a reason I hate your father as much as I do, Jessica.”

“I finally get to know the reason why?”

She nodded.

“Chairman Jung killed my father.”

 

 


Cliff-mother-in-hanger!! Short chapter, I know! And it was late!! D: I'm so sorry, i'm totally right now!! I know I told you all that I'd reveal the secret of why Taeyeon hate Chairman Jung in this chapter, but I'll explain. I have an actual decent excuse!

I actually cut my knuckle open some days ago. It was pretty bad. I had to go to Urgent Car and (thankfully I didn't need to get stitches) they closed it up with a glue. I cant bend my finger 100% yet and though I can finally straighten it, it's pretty uncomfortable and hurts a lot. So I'm kind of having trouble typing at the moment and couldn't do a whole background story what happened between the chairman and Taeyeon's dad. I hope you will forgive me!! I promise to put it in the next chapter. I mean, there's no way I can avoid putting it after this chapter XD

I had actually explained this in my other two stories which I recently update each of them. If you want more Taengsic lovin' make sure to check out my other drama story Up In Smoke AND my string of one-shots in Everday Love. If you're not already subbed to them.. GET AT IT! DUH! Hahaha! I hope you liked this chapter, even though it was really short.. But I did show off Taeyeon's piano and singing talents and left you guys hanging! I hope you also really do check out the other story and the one-shots story and like them! I'll try to update on time next week!