Family Reunion

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Taeyeon’s POV

It had been almost a month since the party and all was well. Jessica accepted Amber as her sister’s girlfriend and Amber had spent a lot of the time in the house. My fingers healed enough so that I didn't need them casted and and I was able to do my job properly again. They were still pretty sore if I worked too hard with them, though. It had been quiet the whole time. No sign of that guy Rain or the other guy we didn't know much about, which made me worry more. Who knows what they're planning? I don’t like to think about it.

Everything had been going great. The household was full of happiness and energy and Sooyoung and Amber were over a lot. Occasionally, Yuri and Yoona would come by and it’d be a full house and we’d just play board games and have a blast.

Today, however, is not a good day. Today is the worst day of the year for me. The day I dread all year. Today is the day my father was hospitalized. The day he was hospitalized is the hardest day for me. Not the day he passed away; that’s the second worst day. On this day, he had pretty much died. In a way, he had died on this day all those years ago. This day is always my darkest day. And this time was no different.

Throughout the day, I had been very quiet and sulking. Jessica had been trying to figure out what was wrong, but I refused to talk to her or Krystal. After a while, they backed off. I needed to stay away from her. I was feeling guilty as hell, and that was making today even worse. Hyoyeon and Sooyoung had Seohyun watching the cameras while they were over, knowing how hard this day was for me every year. And they knew this year might be harder for me. I couldn’t explain how grateful I was for them. When my father was hospitalized, they were my comfort. They were there for me more than my brother and sister were.

“When do you want to go, Taeng?” Sooyoung asked me, pulling me out of my thoughts.

“Whenever is fine…” I said in a monotone voice.

Hyoyeon pulled the hair from my face and Sooyoung patted my leg. Jessica and Krystal were sitting on the loveseat quietly while we sat on the couch. They still had no clue what was going on. Jessica asked Sooyoung earlier but all she said was, “You’ll see soon.”

I looked at the clock on the wall. 3:37PM.

“I guess we can go now.” I said, getting up from my seat.

“I’ll stay here with the girls.” Hyoyeon said.

I looked back at her. “No you won’t. Don’t be stupid. Just bring them, Hyo.” She nodded in response and we all left. Hyoyeon and the Jung sisters were in Hyo's car and Sooyoung was driving me in her car.

“You’ve been avoiding Krystal and Jessica all day, Tae…” Sooyoung said.

I didn't say anything.

“Is that really fair for them?”

I looked at her. “Is anything really fair?”

She didn’t say anything the rest of the way to the cemetery.

When we reached, we all got out of the cars and headed to the spot. At this point, I think the Jessica and Krystal knew what we were here for.

At last, we were close enough to see his tombstone. I stopped in mid track when I saw three figures standing around it. Hyoyeon squeezed my shoulder, encouraging me forward.

We got closer and closer until we were right behind them. I stopped again, hesitating. I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon waited for me to say something. I don’t know why this is so hard..

Finally, something comes out. “Jiwoong…” My voice came out quiet and cracked halfway through. I wasn't sure if he had even heard me. He turned around and we made eye contact. His eyes were red. I could tell he had been trying to hold back his tears. He always tried hiding his feelings; to stay strong. We’re a lot alike in that way.

“Taeyeon..” He breathed.

“Unnie!” Hayeon cried out, running to me and embracing me in a hug. She looked at me, smiling behind her tears. She looked from me to Jiwoong and slowly let go of me and ran to greet Hyoyeon and Sooyoung. I looked at Jiwoong, who was still just looking at me. I was scared to say anything. It had been months since I even spoke to him. I felt guilty and I felt like the worst sister ever.

Eunmi, who was standing behind him with DaeJung in her arms came forward and hugged me as well. “We’ve missed you, Taeyeon.” She kissed my cheek. I smiled lightly at her as she rubbed my arm before going back to Jiwoong.

She patted his shoulder and that’s when he started moving toward me. I couldn’t hold it in anymore. So much of my energy was used up all this time by hiding my tears and my grief and my pain. I ran at him and squeezed him into a hug. He squeezed back. I let out a sob as tears ran down my cheeks.

“I’m so sorry, oppa.” I cried into his shoulder. “I’m so sorry.”

He let out a fait chuckle. “Sorry? What are you sorry for, Shortie?” he pulled away to get a better look at me. Tears were tracking down his face as well.

“I haven’t bothered to talk to you for months, oppa. I should have at least called. I’ve been really busy, but that’s no excuse. I just didn’t know what to say.. I was worried you would hate me if you knew what was going on.. I was so scared that I didn’t even make contact with my own family..” I couldn’t stop myself from crying anymore. It was as though the dam I been building to keep my emotions in had finally broken. My tears had been pushing to escape for so long.

“Taeyeon, don’t be silly. I didn’t call you either. I know what was going on, it was all over the news. I wanted to call you, but I was afraid it would stress you out even more than you probably were. It’s not your fault. It’s okay.” He pulled me back into the hug.

Hayeon joined in as well. “I’ve missed you, unnie. Don’t do that again, got it? Or I’ll come over, myself. And it won’t be pretty.” She smiled at me.

We separated and walked to the tombstone.

“Appa…” I said quietly. “Am I disappointing you right now? Are you ashamed at what your daughter is doing? I’m not only the worst sister, but the worst daughter. I’m so sorry, dad.. I’ve blinded my own self so I can continue my shame.. I’m so sorry…” I dropped to my knees as tears began to fall again. “I was doing good all these years, and now look..”

Eunmi squeezed my shoulder.

“I doubt that’s what he’s thinking, unnie.” Hayeon said. “Don’t be silly. Dad would never be ashamed of you. You were his favorite, remember?” I couldn’t help but laugh at that with everyone else.

 

Jessica’s POV

When we reached Taeyeon’s father’s grave, there were people there already. Taeyeon was just standing there stiffly. All day, she had been avoiding me. I tried to understand why, but she wouldn’t speak to me. I guess I know why now. Well, not exactly why she was avoiding me, but why she was so sad all day.

“Jiwoong…” She said. He turned around. Wow. He looks just like her, only in boy form. They could be twins.

“Taeyeon..”

“Unnie!” A younger girl hugged her. She also resembles Taeyeon, but not as much as her brother. She then hugged Sooyoung and Hyoyeon, who were on either side of me and my sister. She noticed us and gave a small smile. “Hello, I’m Hayeon. Taeyeon’s younger sister.” She bowed at us.

Behind Hayeon, Taeyeon ran to her brother, hugging him. She was crying hard. Her sobs made my eyes water. I just wanted to hold her in my arms and kiss all of her pain away..

“I haven’t bothered to talk to you for months, Oppa. I should have at least called. I’ve been really busy, but that’s no excuse. I just didn’t know what to say.. I was worried you would hate me if you knew what was going on.. I was so scared that I didn’t even make contact with my own family..” she continued to cry.

I never noticed how much pain she had bottled up... I feel like a horrible girlfriend for not seeing that..

Half an hour later, the family was all sitting around the grave of their father and mother, who were buried beside one another. They were taking a stroll down memory lane for most of the time. It was way better than seeing Taeyeon crying. She was smiling again and laughing at the things she and her brother used to do. The mood had definitely lightened and I was happy about it, though I felt a little left out. Taeyeon hadn’t introduced Krystal and I to her family, and I didn’t think she would, until—

“How rude of you, Taeyeon.” Jiwoong said. “You haven’t even introduced these two to us.” He pointed to the two of us sitting between Hyoyeon and Sooyoung.

“Oh, yeah..” she looked uncomfortable. “You know who they are though.”

“Yes, but not formally.”

“Well, this is Jessica and Krystal Jung.” Taeyeon said, not looking at us.

“Jung?” Jiwoong said, raising his eyebrows. “As in, Jung Incorporation Jung?”

“Yes, that’s right.” I said.

“Chairman Jung’s daughters?”

“Yes.” I said again.

He looked at us for a bit. “Interesting.” He said with a smile, looking at Taeyeon. Taeyeon doesn’t say anything and avoids eye contact from everyone.

 

Taeyeon’s POV

Everyone was back at the house now.  Eunmi and Hyoyeon were in the kitchen cooking dinner while the rest of us were in the living room. Yoona and Yuri were here too. I was sitting on the ground resting my back against Hayeon’s legs as I played with DaeJung. I love babies, especially this one. He’s so cute when he smiles and his laugh could cure cancer. My brother is so lucky.

I blew on his belly and he let out a squealing laugh.

“So Jessica,” My brother said. “Who’s room are you staying in?”

“Uhmm.. I uh..” She stuttered. “I’m.. not sure..?”

“She’s in mine and Hayeon’s old room.” I told him, going back to playing with DaeJung. “I moved into dad’s room after you left. Krystal is staying in your room.”

“Ah, I see. How old are you, Krystal?”

“I’m eighteen years old, Jiwoong-shi.” Krystal said.

“Oh, please, just call me Jiwoong. Or oppa.” Jiwoong smiled.

“Eighteen?” Hayeon said above me. “I’m seventeen!”

“Taeyeon-ah,” Jiwoong said. “I noticed the piano is still not back in the living room?”

“Yeah. I left it where I last put it.”

“You still don’t play anymore?”

“No.”

“Tae..” He started. “It’s been years.. Dad would want you to play again.. He loved hearing you play and he would be disappointed to know you still don’t.”

“I didn’t know you played the piano, unnie.” Krystal said. “So do I!”

“I don’t play anymore.” I simply said.

Jiwoong stood up from the couch. “Come on. We’re bringing that piano back up.” I ignored him and continued playing with DaeJung. “Get up, Taeyeon. Now.”

I stood up and gave Hayeon the baby and followed Jiwoong into the basement without a word. I knew this wasn’t just for the piano. I knew this was about something more, I just didn’t expect what was going to come.

“Tae..” he said. I leaned against the wall, waiting for him to start yelling at me about living with the Jung sisters. “What are you doing right now?”

“What do you mean, what am I doing?”

“I know what’s going on, Taeyeon-ah. I’m not blind. Dad would not approve, you know?”

I looked at him. “Oppa, what are you talking about?”

“It’s been seven years, sis. Dad would have wanted you to move on seven years ago. I always knew you hadn’t but as I’m here today for the first time in a couple of months, I think it’s time to really talk about it. Not playing the piano anymore because dad is gone is not what he would have wanted. You’ve replaced playing the piano, which was your thing, with.. with boxing.” He pointed at the boxing bag. “And it’s obvious that’s not as helpful. I can see how stressed you are. The piano was a much better relief for you, don’t know see that? We hate to see you like this, Taeng.. It hurts us to see you like this. Me, Hayeon, Eunmi, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, all of us have talked about it.”

I know what he means.. I love kickboxing. I love to come down here when I’m angry or stressed out and take it all out on the bag. But before kickboxing, before everything happened, I had music to go to. When I was angry, or depressed, or stressed, I would play my heart out on the piano until all the bad poured out of me and into the notes I played. I really do miss it, but ever since dad left us, I felt sadness when I looked at my piano down here in the basement. I was always afraid to even touch it. I never really thought about how it affected my family and friends though..

“I know what else is going on, Tae. I’m not blind. I’m your older brother, I can see through your mask. And I can see Jessica.” I stiffended, preparing myself for the yelling. “I can see the way she looks at you and the way you’re avoiding eye contact with her. She’s totally in love with you, and you are too. You’re hiding it from us though. You think we’re going to judge you? Do you really think we’d do that?”

I looked at him, tears forming in my eyes.

“Sis, we love you and we want you to be happy. No matter who you love and who you want to be with.”

“She’s a Jung, Jiwoong…”

“That shouldn’t matter. Dad wouldn’t want you to hold that against her. You know that. You’re stressing out over nothing. I like her, Hayeon seems to like her, Eunmi likes her. You like her. That’s all that should matter. So stop avoiding her because of us, because it’s only hurting the both of you.” He pulled me into a hug. “We love you no matter what. Dad would be happy to see you happy. Not like when you were with that Hara .”

We laughed as we separated. “Thank you, oppa.”

"She's so hot though.. How did you end up with someone like that??"

"You're an idiot." I chuckled, roughly pushing him playfully. He took a couple of steps to keep his balance.

“I was serious about the piano thing, though. Come on, let’s bring it upstairs. I haven’t heard you play in ages.”

 

 


Finally, we get to meet Taeyeon's actual family. And you get a little more insight of maybe why Taeyeon hates the Jung family? Can you try and guess? You'll find out very soon. And by very soon, I mean in the next chapter. But I'm still curious to what you think it is. XD

Thank you guys for your awesome comments and support and love!

Love you guys <3