Bickering

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Jessica's POV

“Thank you,” Taeyeon said to Tiffany and Sunny before looking at me. “I’m going to go back to my spot now, okay?” Disappointment struck me when she said that. “It was nice meeting you two. Feel free to come to the house whenever you want to see Jessica on more comfortable furniture.” She walked back to her corner. I watched her the whole way there. She turned around and looked back at me. I quickly looked away.

I hope she didn’t notice.

This whole time I'd been at the table, I'd been trying to keep myself from looking at Taeyeon. I don’t know what’s wrong lately, but when I see her, I get a funny feeling in my chest. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve trying to avoid it.

It’s hard to not look at her, though. I can feel her looking at me. She takes her job really seriously, which I like. It makes me feel a lot safer knowing that she’s always nearby watching me and the surroundings. I just kind of wish she would open up more. She is a lot more friendlier towards me now, but it's still all business for her. I wish she would loosen up so I could see the real her.

“She seems nice, Sica.” Tiffany said. “Why did you tell us she was a ?”

“That was when we first got there. Turned out she wasn’t.” I said nonchalantly.

We talked, catching up on the things we've missed in the past few days, which was quiet a bit on my half, when—

“Hey, Jess!” I turned to find Hyoyeon walking to the table. I was shocked for a second, wondering why she was here, but I didn’t care because I was happy to see Hyoyeon for the first time since the move in. I really like the girls assigned to watch over us. Really. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon are so lively and energetic, while Taeyeon is calm and quiet. I’m more of a calm and quiet person myself, so when we’re alone in the house, it’s not really awkward anymore. We’re mutually enjoying the peacefulness.

I quickly introduced Hyoyeon to Tiffany and Sunny and she took up no time to start a conversation.

“I remember you!” she said, pointing at Sunny. “Not much, but I remember seeing your blonde hair at f(x) and thinking ‘LOOK! A blonde Asian! And I remember saying that you were shorter than Taeyeon!”

I looked over at Taeyeon in time to see her turn to the window.

“Shut up, Kim Taeyeon!” Hyoyeon yelled. Sunny and Tiffany had the same exact look on their face. A look that said “Oh my goodness is she crazy???”

It was silent as we waited for Hyoyeon to yell something else out. Finally, she said something, but it was not what I was expecting.

“What??” Hyoyeon said. “Wait, where are you going??”

Taeyeon was leaving the building cautiously, looking at something. Next thing I knew, she was running across the street with her gun out.

I stood up nervously. “What’s going on, Hyoyeon?” I asked. She turned around and motioned for me to sit back down. I looked at the girls in front of me. They were both staring outside at where Taeyeon was last in view. I looked out as well.

I hope everything’s okay…

A few minutes later, Hyoyeon finally spoke again. “Wait, Taeyeon. What are you doing?? Why aren’t you talking??”

Oh my God… What’s going on?? Is Taeyeon okay?? Please let her be okay!!

I pulled at Hyoyeon’s arm so she would look at me. “What’s happening??” I demanded.

“Don’t worry, Jessica. I can hear her. She’s fine. Just stay where you are.” She replied.

What felt like an eternity later, Hyoyeon said something else, “Taeyeon?? Are you okay???”

Hyoyeon then relaxed a bit, which made me relax as well. Guess that means she really is okay. Hyoyeon turned to us and gave a relieved smile.

“Don’t worry guys. Haha.. She’s okay.”

“What was that all about?” Sunny asked.

“Just us doing our job.” She answered. “I guess it was a good thing I came by.”

We sat there for a while, unsuccessfully trying to have a normal conversation again, when a black Lexus pulled up in front of the café. Sooyoung comes out and walks into the café with Krystal behind her. Taeyeon climbed out of the passenger’s seat and went straight to her car.

Is she limping?

“Hey ladies, I hope you don’t mind, but it’s probably best if we head back home.” Sooyoung said once she reached us.

“Yeah, of course.” Tiffany said as she got up with Sunny.

“Come over whenever you feel like it.” Sooyoung said.

“Sure thing.” Sunny said before leaving.

“Let’s go, Sica.” Sooyoung said as she lead me to her car. Taeyeon had already left.

~~~~~

Once we got home, I saw Taeyeon lying on the couch with her eyes closed. Sooyoung sat beside her, resting her hand on Taeyeon’s knee.

“How are you feeling, Tae?” she asked.

Taeyeon mumbled incoherently.

“What was that?” Sooyoung asked.

“I’m fine.” Taeyeon said louder. “Just mad at my stupid short legs for not being faster.”

Sooyoung chuckled. “I meant your foot, pado.” Sooyoung said.

“Oh. It’s fine.”

“Don’t lie. You limped to my car so much I thought you were a zombie.”

Krystal and I sat on the loveseat and watched them.

“It’s just a little sore is all. Don’t worry about me, babe.” She said.

Babe?

“Move so I can sit properly.” Sooyoung said.

“No. Find a different place to sit.”

“There is no different place to sit!”

“ for you.” Taeyeon said as she placed her hands under her head.

“Pleeeeeease????” Sooyoung turned to her aegyo to get what she wanted.

“Ugh.. Fine.” She lifted her legs up so Sooyoung could lean her back against the couch and put her feet back down on Sooyoung’s lap.

*Ring ring*

I answered my phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey,” Tiffany’s voice came through the receiver. “I forgot to tell you when you were with us.”

“What?”

“Nichkhun says that Taecyeon is mad.”

“When isn’t he?” I said. Tiffany laughed.

“That’s true.” She said. “But apparently he’s mad that he hasn’t seen you since you’ve been gone.”

“After what happened at the club, he should it up and be happy that I’m still with him.”

“He doesn’t even know that you were there, Sica-ah.” She said. “But I don’t know why you’re still with him in the first place. If I saw Nichkhun with some other woman wrapped around him, it would have been the end of it for us.”

“Dad.” Is all I needed to say. She knows what I’m talking about. “Well anyway, I’ll make time to see him. Maybe next week. Tell him that for me. I’ve gotta go, okay? Talk to you later, Fany-ah.” I hung the phone up and looked to Taeyeon, who was looking right back at me.

I ignored the tingling feeling in my chest and spoke, “So what happened? I was so worried.”

Taeyeon hesitated for a second before starting. “Well I was looking outside and saw something moving on the top of the building across the street from us.. it was really suspicious looking and then it disappeared and I realized it was a person. Who stands on the top or a building like that? So I went after him and he started jumping across rooftops. So I climbed up the ladder of one of the appartments—“

“You climbed up to him???” I cried out before I could hold back.

“Yes. He wasn’t coming down. It was the only way.” She continued her story.

When she was done, Sooyoung was the first to ask a question. “Did you see his face?”

“No, I didn’t.  He was wearing a hoodie and mask. Plus, the sun was in my face the whole time, so I couldn't see a thing.”

“You could have gotten hurt much worse than a twisted ankle.” I said.

“Are you that worried about me?” Taeyeon questioned me.

I scowled at her. “Well what if something happens in the span of your injury?”

“Don’t worry. I’m fine. I can still do stuff. No need to worry. It’s my job to put my life in danger for the safety of other people.”

“Ugh, whatever,” I said. “I just won’t worry anymore, how about that?” I retorted.

~~~~~

Two days later, Taeyeon was still trying to act like her ankle didn’t hurt. It was wrapped in an ACE Bandage, but she continued to try walking on it, despite the doctor’s orders for her to sit still or use the crutches. Instead of her taking care of us, it was more like we were taking care of her.

More like scolding her, honestly. Whenever I would catch her walking on her foot, I yelled at her. Krystal, on the other hand and then helped her back to her seat. Taeyeon and I had been arguing more in the past couple of days too. She’s being so stubborn and insisting that walking on it will help it heal, when everyone tells her it’s the complete opposite.

Hyoyeon texted me a lot to tease about how we sound like a married couple. It’s funny how our fights sound more like a couple arguing than the fights Taecyeon and I have, and he’s actually my boyfriend. The fights we have are more like him trying to prove he’s right and shutting out everything I say.

Sooyoung was making lunch for all of us. Sooyoung has been here as much as she can, due to Taeyeon’s injury and inability to do a few things; you know, like walk. I was sitting on the loveseat on my phone while Taeyeon was on the couch with her foot on the coffee table.

“Where’s your cutting board?” Sooyoung asked. “Oh, never mind. Found it.”

Taeyeon limped to the dining table.

I rolled my eyes when I saw her sit down and wince from the pain.

“It’s your own fault that it hurts, Taeyeon.” She ignored me. “No matter what we say, you continue to ignore it like right now.” I took her crutches to the table as I sat on the seat opposite her. She looked at me, giving me chills up my spine. I looked away quickly.  She still gave me a funny feeling inside just by a look, I have no idea why, but when she looks at me I just want to be closer to her. I try to ignore it when it happens, but it doesn’t go away. Even through our fights, it still happens. I wish I could talk to someone about it, but I have no one to go to. I don’t know what Krystal would think and I’m not ready for that.

“It doesn’t even hurt as bad as before, Jess.” Taeyeon said to me, sending more chills down my spine after calling me Jess.

“Whatever you say.” I said, picking at my fingers.

“I’m serious. It really is a lot better.” she tried for a convincing tone. “Stop doing that, Jess. You’re going to pull the skin off of your fingers and then it’ll look gross.”

I looked at her with my eyes narrowed. “Stop walking on your bad foot then.” I looked back down at my fingers.

Taeyeon reached over the table and grabbed both of my hands, pulling them apart. The contact sends electricity down my body as I stared at my hands in hers. A second later, she lets go of my hands and leans back into her chair, looking slightly uncomfortable.

Why does she always look uncomfortable when I feel the opposite?

*Beep* my phone sounds, indicating I have a new message.

From Hyoyeon:

             Oooooo, that wuz interstng looking ;)

Oh my god, Hyoyeon. Really?

To Hyoyeon:

             I don’t know what you’re talking about, sorry.

I immediately get a text back.

From Hyoyeon:

Keep n mind, im watching w/ my eagle eyes. I can c evrythng n detail. No hiding nything from me ;)

I put my phone away and gave one of the cameras a dirty look.

Krystal came down the stairs and skipped to the dining room, wrapping her arms around Taeyeon from behind. Taeyeon grabbed her arms and gave a big smile.

“Unnie! How are you feeling?” Krystal asked.

“Better today. Thanks, Baby Jung.” She said as Krystal sat in the seat beside her. I scowled at the two. They’ve gotten a lot closer in the last two days and show a lot of affection and physical contact with each other. Instead of sitting by me on the couch, Krystal will usually sit by Taeyeon and lay her head on her shoulder or something. Krystal actually gave Taeyeon an ankle massage once, but stopped when she saw me glaring at her.

I've been getting jealous from it, but I don’t know who I’m jealous of, to be honest. Jealous of Taeyeon for getting so much affection from my sister, who used to give me the affection, or jealous of Krystal for easily being that close with Taeyeon.

And speaking of affection. I’ve noticed how close Sooyoung and Taeyeon are with each other; calling each other pet names like “babe” and “hun”. They are always touching each other or making weird comments to each other.

 

Earlier in the day, we were all sitting together in the living room. Krystal was beside me and Sooyoung was leaning on Taeyeon’s shoulder, hand in hand with her. We were all having casual talk when Krystal spoke up.

“Unnies, you two really look like a couple. Haha!”

I could feel my blood boiling when she said that.

“Haha! We’re cute aren’t we?” Sooyoung asked happily and pecks Taeyeon’s cheek. I pretended not to notice. “Kiss me back!” she whined at Taeyeon.

I held my breath as I waited for Taeyeon to comply.

“Yah, pado! Get away from me! I don’t want to kiss you!”

“Oh come on! We’ve done it plenty of times before!”

“YAH!” Taeyeon yelled.

“What??? You two have kissed???” Krystal exclaimed.

I felt like I was going to explode! They’ve kissed before??

“Wow, I thought you two were straight!?” Krystal wasn't going to let it go any time soon. I wished she would shut .

“Psh, what!? Taeyeon is the gayest person I know!” Sooyoung laughed loudly. Taeyeon gave her loud ajumma laugh.

“I had no idea!”

“Is that okay with you?” Taeyeon asked her.

“Yeah! I don’t see anything wrong with that! One of my best friends is gay!”

“What about you, Jessie?” Sooyoung asked me.

“What?” I said looking back up at them.

“Did you know?”

I looked at Taeyeon. She looked attentively at me. I shook my head, “No.. I didn’t know.” I lied. “But I don’t have a problem with it.” I gave a small smile.

My phone beeped.

From Hyoyeon:

             Liar -.-

 

The food was set on the table and Sooyoung sat beside me and immediately began shoveling food into . She really does eat a lot. I’ve never seen anyone eat so much in one go.

We ate in silence for a while, but Taeyeon soon began making conversation. “So Krys,” she started.

“Hmmm?”

“I think your sister hates me.” She said casually, keeping her eyes on her food.

“Why do you say that, Unnie?” Krystal asked.

“She’s so hostile sometimes. She likes Sooyoung and Hyoyeon so much, but is totally different with me.”

I pretended I wasn't listening and continued eating.

“I don’t think she hates you, Unnie,” Krystal said. “She’s nice to some people she cares about, but she argues and bickers with other people she cares about.”

“Mmmm,” Taeyeon mumbled as she finished swallowing the food in . “I have a theory.” She said. "See, I think it’s either she hates me,” she paused for dramatic effect. “Or she secretly has a crush on me.”

Sooyoung and I both choked on our food,

“WHAT???” I blurted out.

“Taeyeon!” Sooyoung shouted.

Krystal was laughing hysterically.

“You wish!” I yelled out at her. My face was burning.

“Unnie! Your face is so red!” Krystal laughs louder, slapping Taeyeon’s shoulder. Taeyeon eyed me with amusement.

“I’m not gay. And even if I were, I wouldn’t want you.” I sneered.

“What’s wrong with me???” she asked.

“Everything! You’re so arrogant! And stubborn! You could compete with my boyfriend to see who’s more stubborn!”

“Did you just compare me to your boyfriend?? I can’t tell if that’s a good thing or bad thing!” Taeyeon said, laughing again.

“NO!” Krystal yelled. “That is NOT A good thing! At all! How dare you compare Taeyeon unnie to that jerk?”

“Jerk?” Sooyoung asked, eyebrows raised.

I shrugged. “Krystal hates him.”

“Everyone does!” Krystal said. I gave her a look that said shut up but she ignored me. “He’s horrible. He treats you like crap, Jessi. He’s such a —“

“Language!” I cut her off. “Don’t talk about my personal life to people, Jung Soojung.”

The rest of dinner was spent silently.

 

 


I was debating waiting until tomorrow to put this one up, but I grew impatient realy quick. So here you have it.

Jessica is definitely crushing hard now. Let me be clear, however. Taeyeon was only teasing Jessica about crushing. She doesn't really know Jessica actually is. She just knew that would get a good reaction out of Jessica. And it did XD 

After this chapter, I'm going to two updates a week. I'll try to keep it on Wednesdays and Fridays though. I'm super sick right now, so I'm surprised I managed to get this chapter done for today. But I did! *pats self on the back* Anyway, tell me what you think about this chapter! Love you guys, thanks for the support!