The Best Gift

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Jessica’s POV

I watched in complete shock as Taeyeon slamed the basement door. I turned to look at Krystal, who wasn’t sleeping at all in the first place. She sat up and looked at me, fear evident in her eyes.

“Do you think she meant it…?” She asked me. “About us finding a new place…?”

I didn’t answer. Instead, I took my phone out and called Sooyoung.

“Hello?”

“Soo.. I think we went too far..” I told her.

“What? What happened?”

“She just blew up on me. And then told us she would find us someone else to live with.”

“Damn,” Sooyoung sounded surprised. “You really pushed her over the edge, didn’t you?” She laughed.

“I don’t really think it’s a laughing matter, Soo…” I said.

“Don’t worry so much, Sica. I’ve known Taeyeon for a long time. Once she sees us later, she’ll feel bad for it and apologize. Is she down in the basement right now?”

“Yeah.”

“I  figured. She’ll be down there cooling off and thinking and then it will all be okay.”

“Are you sure?”

“Eighty-nine percent. She’s done this plenty of times before. It will be okay.” Sooyoung said.

“Okay.. I hope so..”

“This is good, though. You made her furious. I didn’t think that would happen, but now it’ll be more interesting when we come.”

“Okay.. Well hurry up and come over. I feel so bad.”

“Yeah, yeah.” She said. “Hyoyeon needs to get the cake and then we’ll be on the way. I’ll let you know when.”

We hung up and I assured Krystal it was alright.

For the next hour, we sat quietly listening to the music coming from the basement. I felt guiltier as time went by. From how long she was down there trying to calm down, or trying to avoid us, I felt like she actually did what us gone. With that thought, my heart hurt.

Suddenly, Taeyeon came out of the basement and went upstairs, not even taking one glance at us, as though we weren’t even there.

This is not good…

Twenty minutes later, I heard the shower turn off. Maybe she’ll come down here?

Nope. Ten more minutes and she still hadn’t come down.

*BANG BANG BANG*

Someone was banging on the door. Krystal jumped up and moved to the loveseat with me, clinging on to me.

*BANG BANG BANG*

That can’t be Sooyoung. She didn’t tell me she was here yet.

Taeyeon came down the stairs with a pistol in her hand as she made her way to the door.

“Who is it?” she called out in a stern voice.

No reply.

“I said who is it???”

Still no reply.

“You have five seconds to answer me or I’m blowing a hole through your head when I open this door!”

“YO! Chill out!” Hyoyeon called out from the other side of the door. “It’s me, man. No need to blow my head off!”

Taeyeon relaxed and put the gun in her pants before opening the door. Hyoyeon burst though the door with Sooyoung, Yuri, and Yoona behind her, each carrying something.

“Where do I put this?” Hyoyeon asked Taeyeon, holding a big chocolate cake. Taeyeon was in complete shock.

Krystal got up and gave Taeyeon a back hug. “Happy birthday, Unnie!”

“Okay, well I’m just gonna put it in the fridge then, Short Stuff.” Hyoyeon said as she walked to the kitchen. Sooyoung set the presents down in a pile on the coffee table while Yuri and Yoona put the food and drinks on the dining table. When everyone was done, they all joined Krystal in the hug, making a big group hug.

Yuri looked over at me still sitting down and motioned me to join. I could barely even see Taeyeon under all of these tall girls, and that made me laugh as a joined the hug.

Everyone backed away and Taeyeon looked up at us. “I’m so confused..” She said.

Hyoyeon put an arm around her shoulder, “Happy birthday, Pipsqueak. We’re here to celebrate with you, of course. Did you really think we would have forgotten??”

“Yeah. Don’t be mad!” Sooyoung said. “Jessica and Krystal’s job today was to make you mad before we got here so it would be more meaningful!”

Taeyeon looked at me and Krys, her eyes glossy. “You two were doing it on purpose?”

“I’m sorry, Unnie!” Krystal said, hugging Taeyeon again. “I felt bad the whole time. Please don’t make us move out. I love being here…”

I anxiously waited for her response. Tears started rolling down her cheeks as she tried to blink them away, looking away. “You guys are all s!” She laughed out. “I thought you had all forgotten my birthday! I hadn’t even heard you two in my earpiece! I was so depressed!” She smacked Hyoyeon and Sooyoung before wrapping her arms around Krystal. "I’m so sorry about what I said.”

She let go of Krystal and looked straight at me. “I’m so sorry..” She again.

I walked over and wrap her in my embrace, relieved. She hugged me back and we stood there for a bit. It felt so good to hug her; I’d never hugged her before. This was the closest I had been to her. I can always smell vanilla around her, but now I smelled it right on her. The strong, but comforting smell engulfed my senses and I hugged her tighter.

“Ahem.” Someone cleared their throat and we separateed immediately. “Happy birthday.” I said to her before Sooyoung pulled her to the coffee table. Both Yuri and Hyoyeon gave me a look, chuckling with each other before following the two.

“So everyone got you a present.” Sooyoung told her. “I had to get Sica and Krys’s presents for them, but they got you one too! Do you want to open them first before we get drunk?”

“Drunk??” Taeyeon asked, surprised.

“Yeah.” Hyoyeon said with a cheeky smile. “I brought drinks.”

“But we’re on the job.. And speaking of, one of you two should be watching the cameras—“

Whoa, party pooper.” Hyoyeon interrupted. “I got Seohyun to supervise from the cameras.” She turned to a camera in the living room and waves. “Thanks, Seo!”

“So we’re getting drunk!” Sooyoung shouted. “Especially you, Taengoo!”

“Oh God.. Sooyoung and Taeyeon drinking together?” Yoona said. “This will be interesting!”

“No! Not this time!” Taeyeon said, laughing.

“Yeah! We didn’t do anything last time. I don’t think..” Sooyoung nudged Taeyeon, wriggling her eyebrows. "What a shame, too."

What? Do anything? What does that mean?

Yoona looked at Krys and I. “When they get drunk together, they sometimes get pretty touchy feely.”

“The last time that happened was a while ago!” Sooyoung objected.

“Mhmm,” Yoona said. “And by a while ago you mean—“

“Okay!” Hyoyeon cut her off. “Let’s take a quick shot before we start the present opening! Taeyeon might need a drink in her before she opens my present, anyway!” She grabbed a bottle of tequila and some shot glasses. “Okay, so no alcohol for Krystal. So we brought some drinks for you too.”

“Aww, come on. I can’t drink??” Krystal complained.

“Because you’re not of age yet, Krys.” I said sternly.

She crossed her arms. “I will be later this year.”

"Then later this year, you can drink.” Taeyeon said as she handed me a shot glass. “Don’t worry kid.” She whispered to my sister. “I’ll give you a sip of something later.” She winked at her.

“Yah!” I pushed her. “I heard that!”

“Guys!” Hyoyeon said, lifting her shot glass. “Toast to Taeyeon on her special day! Congratulations! You’re one year closer to death! Happy birthday!”

We all cheered and took our shots. Sooyoung hooked her iPod up to the speakers and music started playing. “Okay! Let’s open the presents so we can eat cake and play some games!”

Taeyeon took another shot before we started. “Damn, Tae! You’re gonna take another?? Hold on, let me take one then.” Hyoyeon said as she poured herself another as well.

“Knowing you, Hyo, I better get drunk before I even open your present.” Everyone laughed as we took another shot. By the time she's done opening these presents, we’re going to be drunk already.

Taeyeon started with Yuri’s present. She ripped off the paper, revealing a framed photo of all five girls together. “I thought you needed a recent picture of the gang.” Yuri said with a smile on her face. Taeyeon hugged her.

“You left out two people, Yul!” Sooyoung said, pointing at me and Krystal.

“Oh, no, it’s fine. We’re not really part of the gang.” I objected.

“Nonsense!” Yoona said. “This may only be the second time we have met, but I like you two and I have a good feeling about you guys! Plus, these three love you! How can you leave them out, Kwon Yuri?!”

“We don’t have a picture with them yet! This picture is until we do!”

“You’re the photographer, Yul! And you’re right next door!” Hyoyeon said.

“Okay! I brought my camera anyway, so I will take a damn picture!” Yuri said, laughing. “Open Yoona’s next.”

Taeyeon opened up Yoona’s present: a rainbow flag.

“It’s about time you show pride in your life, Taengoo!” Yoona said.

Taeyeon laughed. “It’s been too long, huh? Alright, I’ll do it. I’ve lived here my whole life, if the neighbors start hating me because of this, that’s their own problem."

She opened Krystal’s present, which was a picture of her. “What? I’m cute! You need a picture of me somewhere to remember how much you enjoyed me and miss me whenever this is all over!”

“Haha!!” Taeyeon laughed her ahjumma laugh. “I’m not going to miss you, Krys! I’ll text you and talk to you all the time! You’re part of our group now, remember?”

“Open mine,” Sooyoung said. “You’re going to love it.”

She pulled out Sooyung's gift. “Oh.. My.. God.. Sooyoung, I’m going to kill you.” Taeyeon said as she held up a strap on. The room went crazy as we all laughed at the object in her hands.

“You know! For when you finally have yourself a woman! You can make her a very happy lady!” Sooyoung added.

“I’ll use it on you, how about that, love?” Taeyeon said back to her. “That must be the reason you got it for me!”

“I got it just for tonight.” Sooyoung winked at her.

“Okay, nasty people! Open mine, Tae.” Hyoyeon said with a huge mischievous grin on her face.

“WHAT THE IS THIS????!!!” Taeyeon yelled after opening the box. Hyoyeon busted into laughter and the rest of us waited to see what it was. “I am not touching this, you sick !”

Hyoyeon grabbed the object as she laughed louder and lifted it up. It was a big . Only, it was flesh toned and seriously looked realistic. I covered Krystal’s eyes but she pulled away. The room was hysterical. Hyoyeon fell off of the couch, rolling on the ground with a red face as she tried to stop laughing to breathe.

“DAMMIT.. KIM HYOYEON… I’M GOING TO… KILL.. YOU…” Taeyeon said in between laughs.

“I… Thought.. You might… Need it!!!” Hyoyeon laughed.

“WHY DO YOU AND SOOYOUNG… THINK I NEED... INANIMATE OBJECTS… TO SATISFY SOMEBODY!!!”

“I NEVER SAID IT WAS FOR SOMEONE ELSE!”

That caused even more laughter, if that was even possible.

The laughter died down about 10 minutes later.

“Still though,” Taeyeon said. “I have been told plenty of times that I’m perfectly fine without needing anything other than myself.” She gave everyone a grin.

“Yah! Byuntaeyeon!” Sooyoung pushed Taeyeon. “Open the last present!”

Taeyeon grabbed my present and looked at me. “Is this anything like the last two??”

“No! Mine is nothing like that! Though three in a row would have been hilarious.”

She opened my present and sat there looking at it for a few seconds before pulling it out and showing everyone. It was a silver necklace with two boxing gloves at the end of it. I nervously waited for her to say something as the girls made “awwww” sounds.

“Hyoyeon said you love kickboxing. I got it as a sort of thank you for letting us be here with you every single day. We’ve taken up all of your time for the last couple of weeks and I know it must be frustrating and annoying, having to revolve your life around protecting us..”

More silence as Taeyeon looked at the necklace. Did I do too much?

“If you don’t like it, I can return it for you. It’s no big de—“

“That’s not it, Jess.” Taeyeon interrupted. “I’m just soaking up how the person that knows me for the least amount of time got me the best present.”

I let out a sigh of relief. “She’s rich!!!” Hyoyeon exclaimed. “She can afford more! My present was awesome, by the way! Don’t be a hater!”

“I love it, Jessica. Really. This is the best.” Taeyeon said, looking into my eyes with sincerity.

Suddenly Hyoyeon pounced on me and began tickling me. “Dammit Jung! My present was supposed to be the best!”

“UNCLE! UNCLE!” I cried out in between forced laughter. She stopped and I looked at Taeyeon as she put the necklace on. Seeing the smile on her face warmed my body.

“SHOTS!” Sooyoung shouted as she poured us all drinks again.

 

 


Isn't that just the cutest??? Jessica's gift is the sweetest thing ever. She put so much thought into it.

Hyoyeon and Sooyoung's presents on the other hand.. I can't even.. They think too much alike for their own good. The sisters are like family now! I like this chapter a lot because it really shows how Jessica is growing on Taeyeon and how Taeyeon is affecting Jessica so much that she spent so much on something so sentimental. Tell me how you feel about this chapter everybody!

Love you guys! <3