Cat Out Of The Bag

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Krystal’s POV

“I’m so nervous..” I said shakily.

Amber squeezed my hand. “Don’t be. You’re gonna be great. And you’ve got me and Luna here with you. If you mess up, I’ll mess up too.”

“Don’t do that!” Luna smacked Amber. “If one person messes up, we might still have a chance at winning! If you purposely mess up just for your girlfriend, I will kill you right then and there.” She turned away only to turn back. “Well, not then and there. Maybe after the performance.”

The drama-slash-music teacher comes over to us. “You three are up when this guy is done.” She said.

“Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!” Luna cried, jumping up and down and rubbing her hands together.

Amber seemed to be the only one that was not nervous. “Why are you not freaking out, Am?” I asked.

“Because I know we’re going to do awesome. I don’t have a reason to be nervous.” She hugged me from behind, grabbing my hands and crossing them with hers as she rocked me side to side.

“Yah, they’re seriously all here!” Luna said, peeking through the curtain that was separating the talent from the audience. “Everyone from the party! Oh my god, we cannot screw this up!”

“What??” I pulled away from Amber and scanned the audience for them. Taking up a bunch of first and second row seats, I saw them: Jessie, Taeyeon, Soo, Hyo, Yuri, Yoona, Sulli, Tiffany, Sunny, Seo, and the guys from the party. “Oh my god, I’m going to be sick.”

“Hey, hey, hey,” Amber tried to calm our nerves again. “You two are amazing singers. We have practiced this so many times you two can do it in your sleep! There is no reason to be nervous!”

“Alright, you three are up!” The teacher came back to tell us.

We all looked at each other and Amber stuck her finger out in the middle of us. Luna and I did the same. “Fighting!”

Amber walked through the curtains first and cheers erupted. Luna and I followed behind and the cheers grew louder. I looked at the group of people in the front that I know. The guys were all acting crazy, howling like wolves and stomping their feet.

“AMBER!” *stomp stomp stomp* “KRYSTAL”*stomp stomp stomp* “LUNA!” *stomp stomp stomp*

I couldn’t hold back my laugh. That sight calmed my nerves and I started feeling more confident. We all got into our positions and the lights dimmed down.

The music started. Amber’s up first with her rap. A spotlight shined on her. Throughout the rap she walked around, microphone in one hand while the other one swung around for emphasis in her words. She’s the most confident person I know. Even when she’s not confident she doesn’t show it. I always admired that about her. And like right now, she has a way of being cute, hot, and y all at once.

She finished her rap and it was my turn. A new spotlight shined over me as I started singing. Any nervousness that I had vanished as soon as I sang my first note. The audience disappeared and it was only me and my girls on the stage doing what we enjoyed the most.

And then it was Luna’s turn, and then Amber again, and so on. And then the song was over, the lights turned back on and I could see the crowd clearly again. And then the cheers were heard from all corners of the large room. The loudest cheers I’d heard all day. I don’t know if that’s true or if it’s just because we’re on the stage this time, but it sure feels like it. Amber grabbed my hand and Luna grabbed my other and we bowed at the crown together.

“Hello everybody!!!!” Amber shouted into her microphone. She would. Everyone yelled their hellos and other things. “How are you enjoying your time here???” More yelling. “Haha, alright alright, I see you’re all having a blast. You probably already know us, but I am Amber!!” A lot of screaming was heard from the girls in the audience. Amber may be a girl, but she actually has a lot of fangirls in the school. Especially when she raps.

“HYUNG SARANGHAE!!!!” Someone screamed. Obviously Sulli, since she’s the only one that calls Amber Hyung.

Amber elbowed me. I put the microphone to my mouth. “I’m Krystal!” I shouted. The cheers were deeper, clearly more from the male audience.

“I am Luna!!!” Luna did a twirl, causing a lot of wolf whistles.

“Do you guys want to hear more of us???” Amber asked the crowd. Luna and I looked at her questioningly.

Suddenly, the music-slash-drama teacher came on stage and dragged Amber off the stage with Luna and I following behind as the crowd laughed. This was a usual for Amber, honestly. No surprise here.

~~~~~

“Cheers!”  Yuri yelled, lifting her beer into the air. “For the first place winners! The moment that song came on, I knew it would be an easy win.”

“Cheers!” The rest of the group chorused, clinking their assorted beverages together before putting them to their lips and drinking.

We all met back up at Taeyeon’s house after the show ended. Amber, Luna, and I had won first place. The winners were chosen from how loud the audience cheered, and we pretty much won by a landslide. It was great. It’s only a high school talent show, but once we were given the placement, our whole group of sixteen that were watching had run onto stage and lifted us up and bounced us around as though we won the super bowl.

“Baby Jung,” Taeyeon said, wrapping her arm around my shoulders. “Your voice is perfect! Why are the Jung sisters so perfect??”

I laughed at her question and leaned my head against her shoulder. Jessica pulled her away, giving her a dirty look. “Kim Taeyeon if you continue to hit on my little sister like that in front of me, you’re going back to sleeping in your room.”

“To be fair, I just complimented the both of you! I wasn’t only hitting on your sister.” Taeyeon gave me a wink. “Besides! That was my room for more than half of my life! You can’t kick me out of a room in my house!”

“Watch me.” Jessica crossed her arms. I love watching these two bicker at each other. They’re like a cute married couple. They were made for each other.

“Baby Jung starts the flirting a lot of the time though! You can’t just yell at me! I’m telling you, she wants me.” Taeyeon said, sitting right on top of Jessica on the couch.

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon, get your fat off of me!”

“Nope. Not until you say you love me.” Taeyeon said, staying firmly on my squirming big sister.

“I love you, you short fat kid. Now get off!” Taeyeon smiled triumphantly and moved to sit beside her girlfriend. Jessica laughed as Taeyeon kissed her cheek.

 

An hour into the celebration, a couple of people were already drunk. I wasn’t aware this was a celebration in which everyone was going to get drunk, but I’m not complaining. Nichkhun and Jonghyun are arm wrestling with TOP waiting to play against the winner, who seems to be going towards Nichkhun. Hyoyeon, no surprise, is drunkenly dancing with a tipsy Sooyoung, also no surprise.

Amber is with Tiffany having a conversation about who knows what. I don’t care what they’re talking about, all I care about is that I haven’t been able to hold my girlfriend’s hand the whole time, since my sister doesn’t know about us. I can understand the frustration she and Taeyeon had while thinking I didn’t know about them.

I just couldn’t take it anymore, though. I’m too impatient with this kind of thing. “Hey, everybody!” I grabbed their attention. Amber looked over at me and I gestured her to come over here. “I want to say something that’s been bothering me.”

Jessica’s eyes wandered from me to Amber who looked mildly confused at what was about to happen. I looked at Amber and gave her a reassuring smile, even though on the inside I was freaking out like I was before our performance. I patted her shoulder. Jessica seemed to register what I was about to announce as her eyes locked onto the physical contact between me and Amber. I see her body tense up a little.

Taeyeon grabbed Jessica’s hand as if to tell her to calm down and I started. “Amber and I are dating.” I came right out with it. No beating around the bush, no chaser for my sister to swallow after I forced that on her, no tasty little rainbow sprinkles to make it look, or sound prettier. No nothing. Only, “We’ve been dating since the last day at the party house.”

Everyone clapped and congratulated us. Everyone except Jessica and Taeyeon. Jessica continued to stare blankly at me while Taeyeon whispered in her ear. The rest of the group got quiet as they waited for Jessica to react in any way. At this point, I wouldn’t mind her yelling at me about her wanting more for me. Anything but this agonizing silence and stare. I could practically see the gears turning in her head as she processed whatever Taeyeon was whispering to her.

After a few more moments, her expression changed. It lightened up, actually. To everyone’s surprise, she broke into a small smile. That made me even more nervous. She walked over to me and Amber tried to get away, but I grabbed her hand. I am not facing Hellsica on my own.

What came next, however, was not Hellsica. Instead of ripping my arms off and forcing them down Amber’s throat, she wrapped her own around me in a hug. “I’m happy for you, Krys.” She said in my ear.

I just stood there as stiff as a wooden board, not knowing what to do. I looked at Taeyeon and she made a hugging motion. At that, I lifted my arms and hugged my sister back. “You’re not mad..?” I asked.

She pulled away. “I’m not mad.” She said. “I just want the best for you.” She kissed my cheek and looked at Amber.

“If you hurt my baby sis—“

“Whoa, Sica.” Taeyeon cut her off. “I already gave her one of those threats. You doing it will be the most terrifying thing ever. Come on, let’s go dance.”

Jessica gave Amber a warning look before Taeyeon dragged her away, leaving me and my girlfriend alone as the rest of the people in the house go back to their business. I looked at Amber and smiled.

“Well, that was scary.” Amber said.

“At least we don’t have to hide anymore.” I said and dragged her to an open spot to dance.

 

 


:)