The Phone Call

Hate to Protect, Protect for Love

Author’s POV

Days later, Taeyeon has kept her promise to take better care of her little sister along with bring her mood up drastically. Her relationship with Sooyoung had stayed the way it was: “whatever happens happens.”  She started sleeping with Hayeon after that night so she didn’t spend her nights lying awake thinking of her forbidden thoughts.

“Would you rather be able to fly or read minds?” Sooyoung asked as she tossed the tennis ball to Hyoyeon.

“Fly,” Hyoyeon said easily, passing the ball from one hand to the other. “Definitely. I don’t need to read minds. I know everyone thinks I’m y.”

“Hyogre is the iest person I know.” Taeyeon laughed.

“Yah! I’m right here!” Sooyoung objected.

“You’re second, Giant.” Taeyeon winked at her tall best friend.

“I don’t see you having with Hyoyeon!” Sooyoung exclaimed.

“You’re always hogging the shorty, Choi!” Hyoyeon said.

It was just another regular day at work for the three girls. The chief had yet to assign them anything and they spent their time playing games and talking about other things, pretending they were busy.

“So you’re saying if I wasn’t hogging Taeyeon then you would hop on it?” Sooyoung questioned, an eyebrow raised in amusement.

“Yah, I’m right here. Do I not get a say in this?” They ignored her.

“Hell yeah!” Hyoyeon exclaimed. “Taeyeon is one hot kid.”

“YAH! I’M RIGHT HERE!”

“You would not, Kim Hyoyeon! Shut up!” Sooyoung argued.

“Says who!?” Hyoyeon asked, her voice getting higher with delight.

“Says me! I know you wouldn’t make a move on Taeyeon! She’s a girl!” Sooyoung challenged, leaning into her chair and staring Hyoyeon down.

Hyoyeon stared right back and for at least ten seconds, they stayed that way. And then Hyoyeon leaned back into her chair and exhaled deeply.

“Nah, you’re right. I’m way too straight for that. I love you, Taeng, but I would never do a Soo.” And she tossed Taeyeon the tennis ball.

“Good. I don’t like sharing anyway.” Sooyoung smirked mischievously.

“You two are idiots.” Taeyeon chuckled, shaking her head.

“So?” Sooyoung said.

“So what?”

“Flying or mind reading? Come on, come on, stay with us, Taeyeon.” Sooyoung snapped her fingers impatiently.

Taeyeon thought for a bit about it. Flying or reading minds?

“I’d probably go with mind reading.” She finally said.

“Why?” Hyoyeon asked.

So I could know if Jessica ever thought of me. “I would be the best detective ever if I could read minds. I’d know if the person did it or not just by looking at them.”

“Wooooow.” Hyoyeon said. “That’s a good one. Can I change mine?”

“Nope, too late.” Sooyoung said. “Your turn, Taeyeon.”

“Okay..” Taeyeon thought up her question. “Would you rather be in a Kpop group, or be a solo artist?” She tossed the ball to Sooyoung.

“I’d rather be in a group.” She said without question. “I like being in a team. Plus, if I ever wanted to go solo, I could make a solo debut. Lots of idols do that.”

“Good point, good point.” Taeyeon said. Sooyoung tossed the fuzzy ball to Hyoyeon.

“Either one would be good, but Soo made a good point.” She said. “I like to be in a team. As long as I can show off my moves, I’m fine with a group or solo artist. BoA gets to show off her dancing skills in her music videos. But they also have dance breaks in groups sometimes so I’d take whatever I got.

“Would you rather know the date of your death, or the cause of your death?” Hyoyeon threw the ball at Taeyeon. “Oh, and you can’t avoid your death.”

“Ummm… I’m gonna say to know how I died.” Taeyeon decided. Knowing the day of your death would be horrible! You’d be thinking about that day for all of your life!” The ball was thrown to Sooyoung.

“I think that would be better than worrying about dying every time you did whatever the cause of death is. Let’s say you were going to die in a car crash.” Sooyoung said matter-of-factly. “You would be so scared of getting in the car for the rest of your life. At least knowing the day you died, you’d be able to know how long of time you had to do all of the stuff you wanted to do.”

“But if I knew I was going to die in a car accident, I wouldn’t get in a car.” Taeyeon pointed out.

“Hyoyeon said you couldn’t avoid the death. So you’re going to end up getting in a car at some point and then you’d die. At least with knowing, you could come to peace with it.”

“You seem like you’ve thought about this before, Soo.” Hyoyeon said with a smile.

“I have, actually.” Sooyoung shrugged. “When I’m alone, I think of weird things sometimes. Okay so would you rather—“

*ring ring*

The office phone rang on Taeyeon’s desk, cutting off their game of Would You Rather.

“Officer Kim Taeyeon speaking.” Taeyeon answered.

“Kim Taeyeon,” came a man’s voice. “Where have you been?”

“Excuse me?”

“You’ve been missing in the picture lately, Kim Taeyeon. It’s no fun without you there.” The man said. His voice was creepily calm.

“Who is this?” Taeyeon was confused. This person seemed to know her, but she’d never heard his voice before.

“How could you let yourself get caught with the chairman’s daughter in public, Kim Taeyeon?” His voice sent chills down Taeyeon’s spine. “That was very unprofessional. You did your job pretty good in the beginning when you chased Kim Heechul” (She put the phone call on speaker for the other girls to hear) “across all those rooftops. You even beat one of my most experienced fighters, Choi Siwon. And you had your people take down all of my men.”

Hyoyeon hesitated only a second before starting her tracking on the phone call.

“Well, all except one of my men.” He finished.

“So this is the infamous leader of the group of people trying to kill the Jung family?” Taeyeon said as she watched Hyoyeon typing away on her keyboard.

“The one and only.” He said softly.

“Well I hate to tell ya’ but you two are the only two left. It’s too late to take down the chairman. Or the Jung sisters.” Taeyeon said. “Actually, I don’t hate to tell you that at all.”

The man’s low chuckle echoed through the silent room. Hyoyeon typed on her computer and Sooyoung and Taeyeon sat glued to their spots, not daring to say the wrong thing and get him to hang up too soon.

“It’s not too late.” The man said after a while of his creepy laughter. “The chairman’s security isn’t as great as he thinks it is. But you’ve been at the club a lot nowadays, Kim Taeyeon. Why aren’t you at home watching the Jung sisters anymore?”

“Didn’t hear?” Taeyeon said. “I’m off the case. Someone else took over. So good luck looking for them now. I’m sure they’re better off there.”

“Why thank you wishing me luck, but it’s not needed. I found them very quickly, trust me. Almost the same day they were relocated actually. And no, they are not better off there. You are pretty intimidating for a really small girl, Kim Taeyeon. Beating Siwon has put you on the top of my list of people not to mess with. Those other girls are nothing.”

“So why are you messing with me right now?” Hyoyeon signaled that she was close to tracking the call. Keep him talking. Just keep him talking.

“Because I like to break my rules. You see, all I wanted to do before was just kill Chairman Jung and Krystal and Jessica Jung and everyone else in their family. But I watched you and Jessica get closer and closer and it intrigued me. I had no idea Jessica Jung was a lesbian. All the better reason to kill her, in my opinion. What I don’t understand is how you can overlook that her very own father was the one that murdered yours.” The man chuckled lowly again.

Taeyeon felt her chest twist and knot up. “You bastard—” Sooyoung gave her a panicked and warning look and Taeyeon stopped midway through her sentence and took a deep breath. When did she get up from her chair?

“Is your friend calming you down, Kim Taeyeon?” He said suddenly in a sarcastic worried tone. “Which one is it, hmm? Choi Sooyoung? Kim Hyoyeon?” He hummed and Taeyeon felt goosebumps all over her arms. “No, it wouldn’t be Kim Hyoyeon.. She’ll be the one trying to track me down with this phone call right?”

Taeyeon looked up at Sooyoung and Hyoyeon. They both had the same wide-eyed shocked look on their faces.

“How did you know I’ve been going to the club every night?” Taeyeon asked, her heart pounding.

“Don’t worry about that. Worry about how you’re going to find me.”

“No, wait—wait!” But the line had gone dead. “!”

“I’ve got it!” Hyoyeon exclaimed, jetting up from her seat. She called out the address and turned to look at Sooyoung and Taeyeon.

“You got it???”

“Yep! Only by a damn second! Bastard didn’t hang up in time!”

Taeyeon and Sooyoung shot up and grabbed their things and they ran off to their car. The drive was thirty minutes until they reached their destination.

“This was where it tracked him.” Hyoyeon said when they got out of the car.

“Okay, look around for anything. Ask around, do whatever you need. We need to get this .” Taeyeon said. The other two nodded and went their separate ways in search for any sign that the man on the phone was there.

“Taeyeon, I’ve got a guy here that says he saw him.” Sooyoung said through their ear pieces.

Hyoyeon and Taeyeon met up with Sooyoung in a convenience store.

“Ahjussi, can you tell me what you saw?” Taeyeon asked when they were all in the convenience store standing in front of the owner. “What the man looked like, where he was, what he was wearing?” Sooyoung pulled a notepad and pen from her bag and readied herself to take notes.

“He was standing right outside of my store.” The man said, pointing in the direction of the closed door. “He was on his phone for a little while. I didn’t hear what he was saying because I wasn’t paying any attention to him. But after a while of him standing there, I told him to go away because he was loitering in front of my store.”

“And what did he look like?” Sooyoung asked.

“Well, I don’t know.. He was wearing a surgical mask, like he was sick.” The old man said. “But he was wearing a black button up shirt and jeans. He looked like any normal man. Is he a criminal?”

Taeyeon sighed. The man couldn’t tell them what he looked like. This was another dead end. She looked around in irritation and her eyes caught something. A camera was placed on top of a shelf with a small TV beside it. She could see herself on the TV, staring a little away from the source.

“Ahjussi,” She said as she walked past him and toward the camera. “Ahjussi, is this recording?”

“This is a CCTV camera, yes.” He said. “It’s a sample of ones we are selling, but we keep it recording. Customers think it’s just showing them themselves, but it’s really recording all day long. We get a lot of teenagers making stupid faces or dancing in front of it.”

“Can we take the footage from today, please?” Taeyeon asked.

“Oh yes, go right ahead.” He said. “Anything to help catch whoever that man was.”

~~~~~

“We couldn’t do it in the office,” Sooyoung said as Hyoyeon put the camera’s chip they took into her laptop and Sooyoung hooked the laptop to Taeyeon’s TV. “The chief would know what we were up to if he tried to find out.”

“What’s going on?” Hayeon asked, crossing her legs on the couch, curiosity showing on her face.

“I got a call from the head guy trying to kill Jessica and Krystal.” Taeyeon said as Hyoyeon started playing the surveillance footage. “So we tracked him down and got this CCTV video that might possibly show him.”

“This is the first real lead we have had ever since Choi Siwon.” Sooyoung said.

“I know I said I was going to drop it, Hayeon.” Taeyeon said, looking pleadingly at her little sister. “I said I was going to stop obsessing over Jessica bu—”

“Taeyeon,” Hayeon cut her off. “I am not mad. This is something important! You need to get this guy before he does anything bad to Jessica or Krystal!”

“Thank you, Yeon.” Taeyeon kissed her sister’s forehead.

She turned back to the TV.

Please show him,” Taeyeon said under her breath as Hyoyeon fast forwarded through until the time of the phone call. “Please show him, please show him.”

“This was around the time he called you.” Hyoyeon said once they hit 4:00 PM on the video.

“Where is he?” Taeyeon mumbled impatiently. “He should be here!”

“Wait, that might be him!” Sooyoung cried, jumping from her spot on the couch and pointing to the screen.

A second before Sooyoung spoke, a man could be seen in the video on his phone. He was in fact wearing a surgical mask. His hair was gelled up in a sloppy manner as he stopped in front of the store, close to the street curb.

They watched him silently as he kept his phone at his ear, the mask barely moving to show him talking. He looked at the watch on his wrist and quickly pulled the phone away from his ear and hung up. Just then, the owner of the store leaves the store and obviously begins shooing the man away.

“Hyoyeon,” Taeyeon said in excitement. “Go back, go back!” Hyoyeon re-winded the video back to the beginning of him coming in. “Pause it!” Hyoyeon paused it.

The man was frozen on the screen, almost fully facing the camera. Just enough to get a look at his eyes.

“Do you think you can find out who he is with this?” Sooyoung asked Hyoyeon.

Hyoyeon snorted. “Can I?” She cracked her knuckles dramatically. “You know the answer to that.”

Hyoyeon typed away on her laptop, the TV screen showing a bunch of stuff that confused Taeyeon. Sooyoung was always the security girl who knew everything to do with fixing or creating gadgets like the earpieces she made. Hyoyeon was always the tracker; she knew every way to track someone. Taeyeon was the fighter of the group. She was the one that did most of the physical labor. The Creater, the Hunter, the Warrior.

The day dragged by as Hyoyeon’s tracking continued. It had already grown dark and Hayeon had fallen asleep on the couch. Sooyoung was on her phone, Hyoyeon was throwing popcorn in the air and trying to catch it in , and Taeyeon was sitting at her piano working on the song she played for Hayeon. She was almost done with it, but the anticipation of what was to come when Hyoyeon finally cracked down of the guy’s identity was blocking everything from her mind.

“How much longer?” Sooyoung said much to Taeyeon’s relief that she wasn’t the one to ask.

“No clue.” Hyoyeon shrugged. “It’s going through every pair of eyes in South Korea to find a match. He didn’t match anyone from any jail or prison, meaning he has never been arrested. Just imagine having to go through every. Single. Person. In. Korea.”

Suddenly, the TV screen froze. The girls looked up to see a single picture of a man.

“Did w—did we just get a match?” Taeyeon asked uncertainly.

“You bet your sweet lesbian , we did.” Hyoyeon leaned forward on the couch to get a better look at the man’s driver’s license. “Tyler Kwon, born June ninth, 1980. This is him.” She pulled up the screenshot of the CCTV footage and they compared eyes.

“That’s definitely him.” Sooyoung said. “We’ve got our man.”

“Tyler Kwon…” Taeyeon said with venom coating her words. “You messed with the wrong girl.”

 

 


HELLO GUYS! I'm back with another update just a few days after updating the last chapter! This is me making up for being gone for so long! <3

A LOT of people wanted Tyler Kwon to be the main bad guy. Sorry to disappoint all those who thought it was Taecyeon! I think it's ironic that Tyler Kwon is the one trying to kill Jessica when all these rumors about him and Jessica dating are out (I still don't believe it's true).

So a lot of people once again actually really like SooTae. I was honestly surprised to get such a good response from them hooking up! So it's possible I'll give SooTae some time to shine, but this is in fact a Taengsic story. Even though Jessica is mysteriously being left out at the moment, it will go back to being Taengsic... At some point... XD YOU ALL WANT JESSICA BACK I KNOW I KNOW I AM SORRY!!! If it makes you feel better, Jessica will show up soon. Just not in the way you think. ;D

I hope this chapter answered some of your questions. Some people were wondering why Tyler hadn't done anything now that Jessica and Krystal are with other people or if Tyler even knew about it. The answer is that he knows. He just likes the chase it seems.. It's no fun without Taengsic XD Or maybe he's waiting for the perfect time? Hmmmm *evil laugh*

So I want you guys to answer the Would You Rather questions yourselves in the comments!!

  • Would you rather be able to fly or read minds?
  • Would you rather be in a Kpop group, or be a solo artist?
  • Would you rather know the date of your death, or the cause of your death? (No way to avoid death)

One more thing before I go! What was your favorite part of this chapter? Mine is between Sooyoung and Hyoyeon bickering and Sooyoung saying she doesn't like sharing and The very last line. "Tyler Kwon... You messed with the wrong girl." Taeyeon=badass.