030

Skinny Love

 

 

030

THIRD PERSON'S POV​


The hotel where the engagement party will be held is already crowded. There were medias everywhere, flashing lights, clicking noises from hundreds of cameras, waiting for the said engaged couple. There it was, the dreadful Friday night for none other than Jessica Jung. The guests kept on coming one by one, Jessica's family were already there and also Myungsoo's. People were expecting Jessica and Myungsoo to arrive at 7:45 in the evening and in just a little while, they'll be arriving at the place.

Earlier that night, Tiffany was surprised to see Jessica all dressed up. She thought that her bestfriend might be excited in which Jessica had denied. She told Tiffany that she's just itching to get over with the engagement party. It was a relief for Jessica that Donghae refused to go since it wouldn't be a good idea if he'll come. She knows her boyfriend very well and if ever he went to the party, sure, he'll just be jealous. Big time.

Myungsoo, together with his driver, picked Jessica up at seven. The both of them didn't dare to utter a single word. They just kept their eyes outside the window, both spacing out. Jessica doesn't know how will she do later on. She doesn't know what to do. The only thing that her mother told her was for them to act like they're in love with each other. Yes, it was hard for the both of them but for the sake of both of their companies' reputation and just because both of their fathers were there, they'll do it whether they like it or not.

Myungsoo sighed, keeping his eyes off of the view outside the window and looked at the zoning-out Jessica.

"I bet we're thinking the same thing, Jessica-ssi. Am I right?"

Jessica then looked at him with a confused look on her face. "We are?" she asked back.

"I know we're both bothered on how should we act later," he answered. "The thing is, I don't know either. There's this friend of mine, Sungyeol. He told me to just act natural like how it's supposed to be when you're with the person you love. But it's hard, isn't it?"

Jessica nodded. "I guess our minds our connected, Myungsoo-ssi. I know it's hard. I don't also know how should we pretend like we're really a couple. But here's the thing, from now on, let's be comfortable with each other. You know call me noona when there's no people wa—"

He chuckled, interrupting Jessica. "You do really believe that you're older than me?"

Jessica's eyebrows creased and looked at him with a confused look. "Yes, why? Am I not?"

Myungsoo laughed at her a bit. "Well, the truth is, you are older than me. Let's say for eleven months and five days."

Jessica tsked and laughed. "You could just say less than a year! You made it hard for yourself to compute, dongsaeng!"

"Yah! You may be older than me by eleven months and five days but you can't call me dongsaeng. I'm no dongsaeng! And what is it to you if I like to make it hard for myself? I'm good in Math." 

"So? What are you trying to prove now?" Jessica fired back, raising one of her perfect eyebrows.

Myungsoo was caught off guard. He was left with nothing to say back at her. He thought for a while but he can't think of anything. "N-Nothing," he hesitantly stammered. "That I'm good in Math?"

Jessica just laughed as she shook her head. "Crazy kid." 

"Yah! I'm no kid! Don't call me dongsaeng or even kid." Myungsoo told her as he frowned.

"Then what do you want me to call you? Myung? Myungie?" Jessica asked, not really interested at all to know the answer but she thinks calling him Myung as his nickname is cute.

"You could just call me Myungsoo. What's the big deal about it?" Myungsoo plainly answered, quite irritated.


After that conversation, the both of them had gone silent once again. There's really no topic to talk about. They barely know each other. Yes, they do have a lot of acquiantances and some of her friends are his friends and vice versa. He does even know Lee Donghae and his sister Lee Soonkyu. He knows about Choi Siwon and his father. But there's one thing Myungsoo doesn't know. He doesn't know that Jessica actually has a sister. It's because that Soojung or Krystal as she preferred—decided to stay at LA to study and she just comes back to Korea every Summer vacation but when she stepped into college, she moved to New York.

The defeaning silence only faded when the both of them soon realized that they're already approaching the hotel's lobby. Seeing the blinding flashes and clicking noises of the cameras, Myungsoo and Jessica knew they've already arrived. Of course, all of the people wanted to see the couple for the first time going out together as engaged couple. Jessica just wished Donghae wouldn't watch the news for the next few days because the engagement party will surely be one of the talk of the town. 

Jessica looked at Myungsoo, sending messages to each other through their eyes, asking what do they do now. They're both clueless about what they should do. Soon, the car halted and it was time for them to get off of the car and meet hundreds of flashing cameras, those irritating clicking noises from the camera and such question they know to themselves that they wouldn't answer. The chauffeur went out of the car first to open the car door for Myungsoo and Jessica. Jessica, herself, can't even measure how nervous she was but then, Myungsoo held her cold hand and gave her an assuring smile.

"Act natural." He smiled at her as the door of the car opened.

As soon as Myungsoo went out of the car, gentleman as he is, he helped her get out of the car since she's wearing a gown. Myungsoo's arm absentmindedly made its own way to Jessica's waist, wrapped around. Jessica leaned closer to him, both acting like they're so inlove with each other. They shared fake smiles just to convince the media as they made their way to the entrance. It won't take long, they're sure of that. 

When they finally got in, they didn't let go of each other knowing the medias are still there outside, still taking pictures of them. Jessica knew she's just going to cling on him 'til the rest of the night and even though it seems pretty tiring, whether she like it or not, she has to do it.

They've already kind of convinced the media and now, there's only one thing left to do.

Convince the guests.

"I don't even know why we need to do such things when we'll just going to ditch them at the end of all these," Myungsoo whispered to her, not turning his head to her. 

The both of them just walked, eyes and heads fixed at the front. Myungsoo had removed his arm around her waist when they're no longer to be seen by the public. It was now Jessica who clung her arm around his because it's showtime.



The venue was filled by guests. Families and relatives, friends, business partners and some investors. Mrs. Jung, together with Myungsoo's mother, planned and organized the grand engagement party for their kids. All of their friends were surely invited. Tiffany and Siwon was there and also Taeyeon, Yuri, Seohyun together with Kyuhyun and Minho. On the other hand, Myungsoo's buddies were there too, Hoya and Sungyeol were there, also Woohyun and Sunggyu. And also, Myungsoo's past girlfriend was there too together with her mother. Both families' relatives were also invited, as well as their business partners, investors and stockholders.

The party was beyond perfection, it was indeed grand. Mrs. Jung is truly convinced that Myungsoo's mother is really a perfectionist. Jangwon and Myungsoo's father, Kim Maru, were really satisfied on how things will turn out that night. They felt proud for their wives for organizing such party like that. The guests were busy chatting with each other. Some are talking about business, of course and some are just catching up with each other.

Just then, it was announced that Myungsoo and Jessica had finally arrived.

Jangwon and Maru both kept a triumphant smiles on their faces, both happy that they succeed in arranging their kids' marriage. 

Tiffany doesn't seem like interested at all. She's only excited on how Jessica looked tonight so she could tell it to Donghae when she sees him. Hoya and Sungyeol were eyeing on Myungsoo's past girlfriend, Suji, when it was finally announced that the two had arrived. While Sunggyu and Woohyun can't wait to see their dongsaeng, Myungsoo.

Then there was this person beside Tiffany, also anticipating to see Jessica and her husband to be. It has been a while for them though. Tiffany kept that person beside her as she gave that person a warm welcome earlier. It has been a while for the both of them as well. They surely missed each other and it was a good thing that that person made some time to attend at such important occasion like Jessica's engagement party.

 

"Are you ready?" Myungsoo asked her in a whisper. 

Jessica's hands were pretty cold because of being nervous. Good thing she made through alive back at the lobby. It was really hard for her to act like she's really into Myungsoo. She just keep on imagining that it was Donghae who was with her. That it was Donghae's arm wrapped around her waist. That it was Donghae who struggled with her to get through the crowd. It was quite painful for her to know the reality that it wasn't Donghae but Myungsoo.

Sure, life has never been better for her and it was absolutely and definitely unfair on her part.

She only nodded because she's left with no choice at all. "Sure, whatever."

The door opened and the two of them were met by smiles and cheers and congratulatory phrases. Of course, the both of them faked smiles and thanked each one of them. Jessica just stayed close to Myungsoo and pretend like she had fallen madly and deeply inlove with him just to convince her dad and his dad that nothing's wrong, everything's fine and clean, on track.But the both of them were sure that they're already happy as they saw both of their triumphant smiles.

Myungsoo shook hands with Jessica's father and his father and kissed his mother on her cheek as she gave Mrs. Jung a hug while Jessica gave her mother and Myungsoo's mother big hugs and kisses on their cheek. She shook Maru's hand and Jangwon kissed her daughter's forehead. 


Jangwon and Maru took the center and gave their speeches, telling how happy they were that their daughter and son are going to be married soon, happy that they ended up being together, telling how much they could contribute to their companies. They were thanking both of their children for getting married and agreeing onto this arrangement. Everyone in the room pretty knows it's all arranged but Jangwon and Maru managed to convince some of their relatives, friends and business partners that Myungsoo and Jessica were actually dating each other. It was Jangwon who gave the first toast together with his bestfriend and business partner, Maru and gave some congratulatory messages for Myungsoo and Jessica afterwards. 

Soon, Hoya took over and gave a short toast to the engaged couple expressing how happy he is in behalf of Sungyeol, Woohyun and Sunggyu for their dongsaeng Myungsoo. He really did address Myungsoo as their dongsaeng that made Myungsoo frown. Guests noticed the change of expression on Myungsoo's charming face that made them laugh a bit. After Hoya, it was Tiffany's turn to give a toast for her bestfriend and to her fiancé. For who knows how hard she tried to make her congratulatory message realy wherein she expressed how much happiness she has for her bestfriend Jessica, telling the both of them how perfect they looked with each other, wishing best wishes to the both of them. It was fake, of course, but she made it seem like a real one. Someone's good when it comes to acting though. After Tiffany she was followed by someone whom Jessica actually missed a lot. 

Jessica abruptly stood up upon seeing her walk through the crowd and make her way to the center while holding a glass of champagne, smiling at the both of them. Jessic walked to her, teary-eyed as she welcomed her sister in a big and longing hug. Everyone was touched, knowing how Jessica missed her sister so much. Both were hugging each other, muttering 'I missed you's to each other. Myungsoo, on the other hand, stood up as well when Jessica stood up. He was also surprised upon seeing a familiar girl whom he met exactly two years ago when he was in a vacation in New York. He doesn't quite remember what was her name but he's sure he had met her somewhere in New York. Turns out, it was Jessica's sister, Soojung. 

Soon, the Jung sisters broke the hug as Soojung asked her sister to go back to her seat with her fiancé. Soojung greeted the guests and introduced herself.

"Hi everyone, my name is Krystal or Soojung, the sister of the bride!" she cheerfully introduced, all smiles."Seeing her happy with her fiancé today makes me really think that maybe I should let her marry someone now. They looked so perfect together, I see how happy she is with Myungsoo-ssi," she looked at Jessica and Myungsoo and smiled warmly towards them. She turned to look at the front once again. "To be honest, I never really wanted my sister to get married," she earned a laugh from the guests. "I-I don't know, maybe the fact that I want to spend more time with her before she spends her time to her own family? But now, seeing the happiness in her eyes and seeing how happy she is with Myungsoo-ssi, convinced me big time," she turned to look at Jessica. "I'm now giving you the permission to marry, unnie." she smiled at her sister and turned to the guests again, earning laughs for the second time around from the guests upon saying her permission. 

"Now, cheers for the bride and groom!" she announced and offered a toast.


Soojung knew about the arranged marriage and the setup that her sister's currently on. She learned that Jessica's still with Donghae while thinking of a plan to get rid of the wedding with Myungsoo. It was really a relief when she knew that her sister's against the marriage. The truth is, she still doesn't want her to get married and what she had said earlier was a complete lie. Of course, Tiffany did tell her. She arrived earlier that morning when Mrs. Jung informed her about the occasion. She really needs to be there and she did everything she could do just to attend her sister's engagement party. She also knew that her mother is also on Jessica's side that she couldn't believe that their dad is totally clueless about what's happening behind his back. Soojung also thought that the arranged marriage thing for her sister is cruel. She's yet to graduate from college and Soojung knows that her sister Jessica would like to do things on her own before settling down with someone. She still have some goals to achieve and marrying someone would be a hindrance for her. Also, she felt sorry for Donghae being in this kind of situation. She just hopes that everything would turn out good in the end.

As for Myungsoo, she finally remembered where she had seen him. He was the one who helped her from those jerks who tried hurting her that night in that cold and empty alley somewhere in New York. When she first saw him, she actually knew that he's familiar and thought that she had seen him somewhere before. Yes, it was his name. Myungsoo. She couldn't deny the fact that he's handsome and charming. Tiffany also told her that Myungsoo's a good catch. The same old matchmaker Tiffany has officially started their plan. From time to time, Soojung kept on throwing glances on Myungsoo who is talking to a lot of people. He kept on moving from a place to another place that made it hard for Soojung to locate in just a second, afraid of being caught. She was staring at him when Jessica tapped her. Soojung immediately went back to her senses and greeted her sister.

"Someone's staring at someone, huh?" Jessica said while waggling her eyebrows at her sister.

Soojung tsked and rolled her eyes. "Whatever, unnie. It's just that I already know him."

Jessica's eyes widened. "You do?!"

"He was the one who saved me from those drunkard jerks who almost me. He's the knight in shining armor I'm talking about back then!" Soojung answered with a smile, trying to hide her blushing cheeks by looking away but Jessica knows her so much that she knows it when she's blushing.

"Aww, my baby's blushing! Do you, perhaps, have a crush on him? Or even like him?" Jessica grinned as she asked.

Soojung defended instantly, "Aniyo! Why would I like my unnie's fiancé? I would not. Not now, not ever!" she crossed her arms and looked away once again. "And don't call me baby again, okay? I'm no baby." Soojung added in complete English.

Jessica chuckled as she recalled the conversation she had with Myungsoo earlier in the car. "The both of you told me the same thing. He told me not to call him dongsaeng since I'm eleven months and five days older than him and now you're telling me not to call you baby? You guys, the both of you gives me the idea that you guys are meant to be." 

Soojung looked at her unnie. "And why would you think of that?"

"Simple," Jessica smiled at her. "because you guys seemed to have these similarities I can't even explain."

Soojung rolled her eyes again as she scanned the crowd to look for someone. When suddenly, Jessica leaned in and has something to whisper to hear.

"The opportunity's now knocking on your door, Krys. Grab it before somebody takes it away." Jessica smirked as she left her sister with a piece of advice.

She just looked at the disappearing figure of her sister, trying to talk to some of their relatives. She looked for Myungsoo again and esily located him, talking to his friends. She recalled what did her sister just said to her a minute ago. The opportunity's now knocking on your door, Krys. Grab it before somebody takes it away. She knows what her sister meant. She just have no idea what's the real motive of Jessica on saying those thing to her. 

Jessica noticed that Soojung was lost in her thoughts while staring at Myungsoo who is currently talking to his friends. She smirked as she excused herself to her relatives and went to find her bestfriend, Tiffany.

The plan has officially started.


While searching for for Tiffany, her eyes caught something. No, scratch that. Someone. Her eyes couldn't believe on what she's seeing. She thought he won't go. She didn't even dare to ask him because it wouldn't be a great idea if he'll go. She knows he gets jealous easily just like her and in this place wherein she's pretending that she's in love with someone else. She can't stand it when he's watching. She knew she needs to be careul now that she knows he's here. 

The thing is, she couldn't fathom the fact that he's here.

Then she saw Soonkyu with him. It occurred to her that the Lees were invited.

Donghae caught Jessica looking at him with a bothered look plastered on her face. 

He smiled at her and nodded while mouthing, "It's okay."

Jessica felt her eyes hot, she knew tears were starting to form in the corner of her eyes. She gulped and cleared . Wiping the corner of her eyes and nodded at him.

"I love you," she mouthed at him, earning a nod from Donghae to let her know that he got and understood what she said.

She smiled at him as she made her way back to where Myungsoo is, so much thankful to have a boyfriend like Donghae by being so understanding. She knows he's jealous and he's trying to hide it away from her. But at times like this, the both of them has a tight grip on the promise they made to each other. Everything will be alright.

_______________________________________________________

author's note


Hi everyone! Sorry if I took quite long before updating :( Been busy lately but, since it took quite long for me to update, here's a long update for you guys :) Also, today (January 9th) is the birthday of my AFF account!! I can't believe that it has been a year since I created this account. Anyways, don't forget to leave a comment, alright? Tell me how did the 30th chapter go! Thanks for those who subscribed, to those who voted and thanks to your positive comments :) Love ya guys! Thanks for reading.