024

Skinny Love

 

024

AUTHOR'S POV

People tend to hate being so happy because happiness will soon disappear and sadness will take over. It's like you thought that everything's going perfectly fine, though, you thought wrong. There are times where you'll find yourself asking why can't you just live with happiness? Why can't sadness just leave you alone, why does it loves you so much, why does problems keep on coming to you like you're their apple of their eyes. But Jessica knew to herself that no matter how hard she tries to stay happy, loads of problems will come by. After all, this is life. You need to cope up with it, live it, adapt to it. Problems has been always in the same page as life and happiness. It is what takes your happiness away temporarily or for eternity unless, you'll have the initiative to change that fact.

It has been three weeks since her mom met Donghae in the restaurant that he owns. After that happened, she often sees her mother since she visits her in her apartment from time to time. At first, she's thinking what might got into her mother's head that she's being all like a kid and extra caring to her but as time went by, she got used to. She loved it anyway. She loves it when her mom's being like that to her. Making her feel like she's loved by a mother and there's someone who cares for her when other people doesn't. It was really a nice feeling for her.

Three weeks and yet she hasn't seen Donghae. Sure, they see each other around at the university but a simple 'hi' would do for them lately. She doesn't know what's going on. Maybe he was kind of busy with his academics lately and so was she so she didn't take it as a big deal since their studies is still one of their top priorities in life. But soon enough, they'll graduate, hopefully. Just one year. One year. 

It was Friday and Jessica was still wondering where could she go. Tiffany has a date with Siwon that day and she has no idea where on Earth was Donghae. She didn't know what to do. She just can't ask Kyuhyun since Seohyun has been tutoring him, they can't be disturbed though. Taeyeon, on the other hand, she doesn't know if she's free or not. Basically, Jessica just doesn't know what she'll do for the rest of the weekend. The finals were over and so the students had gone partying already. But clubbing isn't Jessica's thing. She'd rather sleep than go to some clubs in Hongdae. After fighting and arguing with herself, she finally decided to just head home, to her apartment. After all, that's the least thing she could do, to sleep. She'd been sleep-deprived ever since the week started and now that the hella week is about to finish, it's time for her to go grab some sleep.

 

She was about to enter the lift when her phone started ringing. She fished her phone out of her pocket and glanced over at who's the caller. It was her mom. She immediately accepted the call.

"Yes, mom?" she replied as soon as she picked up.

"Sweetie? Are you busy?" Her mom asked her right away.

Jessica furrowed her brows. "Uhm, not really. I'm just about to go home and get some sleep. Why'd you ask?" 

Her mom went silent for a while. "I-It's just that I have a matter to discuss with you. Can you meet me now?" 

"Matter?" she asked. "Oh-kay... Where are we going to meet then?" 

"At the coffee shop. It's a few blocks away from your apartment." her mom answered and her mom's voice kind of made her worry because she seemed like trembling, she's like preventing herself from stuttering.

"I'll meet you there, I'll just change." Jessica told her mom as Mrs. Jung bid goodbye.

 

Jessica twisted the keys and swung the door open. Their apartment exactly looked like how they left it earlier this morning. She closed and locked the door and headed to the living room, threw herself on the sofa as she heaved a heavy sigh. God knows how tired she's feeling as of the moment. The week has been tough for her and she's glad that she did come out alive.

She reached for the remote control and turned the television on. It was already 5:30 in the afternoon and the sun was about to set, leaving the sky orange. The News was on and she really didn't care about what's going on right now. All that she wants is to sleep. But then, just as she was about doze off, she heard their company's name, The Jung Co. mentioned in the news alongside with the company of their major investor, the Kims.

Much to her surprise, her photo was shown and a photo of who seemed like Mr. and Mrs. Kim's son, who is named Myungsoo was also shown beside her picture. Her jaw instantly dropped when she saw the news.

The heiress of the Jung Co. and heir of the Kim Enterprises, Jessica Jung Sooyeon and Kim Myungsoo revealed to be engaged.

"WHAT THE HELL?!" Jessica abruptly got up of her seat and picked her phone up. Just as she was about to dial her mother's number, her phone rang.

It was Tiffany.

Now, she knew that Tiffany already knew. Perhaps, she's watching the television as well.

Jessica immediately picked up the call.

"What the eff is going on, Jung Sooyeon?! Tell me the news was just a complete lie!" Tiffany's firm yet yelling voice sent shivers through her spine. It scared Jessica, of course. Tiffany doesn't usually use that kind of tone and the fact that she called her by her real name, fooling around at this point is a no no.

Jessica found herself speechless. She couldn't a utter a word like she's being tongue-tied as of the moment. She knows to herself that Tiffany must be raging on right now considering she's HaeSica's number one shipper along with her mom, perhaps?

"I-I don't know either! I was about to call my mom when you called. I just saw the news too! I don't know what the hell is going on! I don't remember myself getting drunk and saying yes to a proposal! For Pete's sake, no one has ever proposed marriage to me! Not even Donghae!!" Jessica defended for herself. She didn't care already. She was now freaking frustrated and all what she wants now is an answer.

"So, it's not true? Don't dare tell me that the news is sort of a joke? Goodness! When it's on the news, it's legit!" Tiffany argued, completely clueless as her.

"It's definitely not true!! I don't know which part of hell the news came from and no, not every news is legit. Especially when it comes to showbiz and interefering with a person's privacy." Jessica replied, finally kept her cool because there's no use if she'll keep the yelling tone at her bestfriend.

"Gosh, Sooyeon!!" Tiffany groaned in frustration. "Does Donghae knows this?" she asked Jessica. "Yah, Siwon-ah, does Donghae know something about this?" she then asked Siwon.

Jessica knew to herself that she can't hide this big issue away from Donghae. What does she expect? Probably, the whole country knows that she's engaged with someone she doesn't really know. Sure, she already met him during a business conference, but they don't talk to each other. Sooner or later, Donghae will know about the issue and it's making her frustated even more.

"This has something to do with business, I know," Jessica murmured to herself, still on the phone with Tiffany. "Crap!!" she yelled as she thought of something.

"What?" Tiffany asked from the other line.

"Either my dad or mom arranged my marriage. Crap, crap, crap! Why?!" Jessica cried in frustration and in fear that anytime soon, Donghae will know about it. It scared her, of course. She can't afford to lose him. No, she can't. She just can't imagine a life without Donghae, her bestfriend, her one and only. 

"Go and clear this mess, Jung," Tiffany told her. "I'm completely devastated upon hearing the news." with that, Tiffany ended the call just like that. She must have been really upset. But Jessica either was totally upset. She has no idea what the hell is happening. She knows that it could be her Dad or either her Mom who did that. The thing that keeps on bugging her was why didn't they tell her first before letting the public know about it? 

She heaved a heavy sigh as she closed her eyes for a little while, trying to remove all the thoughts away from her mind. She needs to calm. She needs a peace of mind. But how? How do you expect someone to be calm at this kind of situation where everything is so messed up?

She left her apartment, completely unsure what to feel. 

 

"Tell me how did this happen?" that's the first thing that Mrs. Jung heard from her as her daughter sat across her. Mrs. Jung had gone speechless. She doesn't know what to say. Her daughter's eyes were mad like it's a burning fire that she can't even touch her own daughter.

"S-Sweetie—" Jessica cut her off as soon as she started to talk.

"Don't sweetie me," Jessica stated, glaring at her mother. "Were you the one who planned this? I thought we were okay? I thought you're okay with Donghae? I thought you want me to be happy? Now, what is this ? Don't tell me that all you've been doing and acting when you're around me was all just an act?" Jessica bombarded Mrs. Jung with a lot of questions. Her eyes says hate and sadness. However, her voice, it's firm and full of anger.

"It was your father who did this." Mrs. Jung answered directly. "I swear I tried to stop him but he just wouldn't. He says it's for the best and also for the company."

"Goddamn company!" she shouted. Good thing, they were the only ones who's around the coffee shop. Even the workers were somewhere inside, probably in the kitchen.

"S-Sooyeon, calm down, will—"

"How do you expect me to calm down after all these s you're giving to me?! Why me? Why does he need to arrange a marriage for me?! How dare he broadcast it to the public without me knowing it? I don't even know I'm engaged!? What the hell?" 

Mrs. Jung knows that it's hard for Jessica to take it. But when it comes to the world of business, arranged marriage for sake of both companies is normal, more like a tradition for every businessmen and women. No matter how against you are, you have to. Even if it's not your own will, you have to. And for Jessica, it . Arranged marriage nowadays are so rare. She doesn't even know it still exists. But what more is that she has to leave all what she has right now behind and one of those is Donghae.

"So, he did it, didn't he?" her mom managed to let out a chuckle. "Unbelievable. I really don't know what he's capable of. Your dad's so unbelievable." her mom said in disbelief.

"He's not my dad and you're not my mom, either. The funny thing is, the public doesn't know that fact," Jessica smirked. "Should I announce to the whole world that the Jung Co.'s heiress is an illegitimate daughter?" 

Her mother's eyes widened. "Jangwon would be very upset if you do, Sooyeon. Think about the company's reputation!"

"THE PROBLEM IS I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE COMPANY! I NEVER WANTED TO BE THE HEIRESS. I NEVER WANTED TO BE MARRIED WITH SOME STRANGER! I NEVER WANTED TO BE INVOLVED IN ANY OF THESE! I JUST WANTED TO BE HAPPY!" she continuously shouted, didn't give a single care to the people who might hear her. "Is it too much to ask for?" she cried.

Mrs. Jung hushed her crying daughter in front of her. As much as she wanted to give her a hug, she can't. She can't even get close to her now. She's so close yet she's so far. She's afraid that Jessica might just shove her away if she does hug her. 

"Jangwon," Mrs. Jung started. "He wants to meet you."

"I don't want to." Jessica refused.

Suddenly, the door of the coffee shop flew open, revealing Jung Jangwon. "Whether you like it or not, Jung Sooyeon, we'll talk."


 

"What do you want from me?" Jessica asked, eyes glued to her father with so much hatred as tears continued to stream down on her beautiful face.

"Simple," Mr. Jung played with the teacup in front of him as he answered her daughter's question. "Marry Kim Myungsoo."

Jessica chuckled as she looked away, rolling her eyes. "Give me five valid reasons why should I."

"You don't talk to me like that, Jung Sooyeon. I never raised you to be like that." Mr. Jung scolded her as if she was just a five-year old kid.

Jessica remained silent as she watched the people outside pass by. She was thinking of Donghae. She was thinking what should she say to him. She was thinking of running away with him. She was way thinking too much that she might lose her sanity anytime soon.

"You'll be meeting your fiancé tomorrow at exactly 4 o' clock in the afternoon. The driver will be taking you to the place where you'll meet him." her dad reminded her absentmindedly daughter. "Are you still with me, Sooyeon?"

Jessica got back on her senses and just glanced at her father and looked away immediately. "Whatever."

"How dare you talk to me like that?!" Her dad's voice suddenly raised.

"And how dare you let the public know about the engagement when I, myself, doesn't know I'm even engaged? What is that? Is this what you've been talking about all along? Is this the best you're always telling me that you wanted for me? Well, for me, this is not the best. This is for no one's best for goodness' sake!" Jessica remained calm as much as she could but she kind of raised her voice for a little bit.

The next thing she knew was her right cheek hurts. There's a sting that she felt and that's when she realized that her dad had slapped her. Mrs. Jung, on the other hand, went by her side and asked if she was okay. Jessica didn't dare to respond and just stared directly to her father's eyes, completely glaring at him.

"You left me with no choice, Dad. But here's the thing, sure, I'll meet Myungsoo tomorrow as you wish but you'll never make me marry someone I don't love." Jessica said her final words as she gathered her stuffs and left the place, leaving her parents behind.
 

"You don't tell me who to marry. You don't tell me who to love. You can never tell me what to do. You don't decide for me. This is my life, I'll live it whichever way I want to." she murmured to herself.


She entered the building of their apartment, feeling exhausted. She thought that day would be the best day of her life but no, she thought wrong. When she thought everything is all fine, it'll suddenly turn and it'll all be messed up once again and it's too tiring for her to fix it all over again. All she wanted to do as of that moment was to sleep. Getting wasted is a no no for her even though she's feeling beyond wasted as of the moment. 

She rode the lift, absentmindedly. She got off at the twenty-second floor and as she walked along the corridor, there was a guy stood in front of their doorstep. It was Donghae, obviously. Right there she knew that he already knew about it. Just as she thought she could finally escape from the misery for a little while. She quickened her pace towards him.

"Hey," she greeted, trying to sound happy though she's really not.

Donghae turned around to face her. His face was all down. Sadness was written all over his face. "We need to talk, Sooyeon."

Suddenly, everybody was calling her by her real name it felt so odd for Jessica. 

"Yes, we really need to talk." Jessica replied with a serious tone.

"Why didn't you tell me you're engaged already?" As soon as he started to talk, his voice immediately cracked. 

Heaven knows how much it broke her heart.

________________________________________________

author's note:

Christmas break is finally here!! The long wait is over, finally (: I was really looking forward for the Christmas vacation hahaha!

So, how did it go? Don't be afraid to tell me what do you think about the 24th chapter! Just post your comments and please, no silent readers :( 

Anyways, just a few days away from Christmas! I can't wait tho.

Happy Holidays!

Love ya guys