021

Skinny Love

021


spring

 

THIRD PERSON'S POV
 

 

Watching the sunset with the one she love has been one of her dreams. And now, seems like luck has always been by her side that she feels so lucky the whole time. All of her dreams are coming true one by one and she couldn't ask for more. God knows how much thankful she is for all the blessing she has been receiving.

Under a tree, Donghae and Jessica sat side by side as they both witness the setting of the sun.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" she asked him while her eyes were still glued in the sunset. The sky turned orange and soon enough, darkness will fill the sky. The scenery in front of them was beyond perfection. The sky looked so calm and peaceful.

She saw him nod through her peripheral version. Just like Jessica, he didn't remove his eyes from the beautiful scenery in front of them. "Yes, it is. But you're more beautiful."

Her cheeks turned rosy. He, as well, blushed as she turned to look at him. He's so cute, she thought to herself and smiled. I will never ever let go of this guy. He's everything I could ask for and there is no way I'll let him go. I love him so damn much.

"Is something bothering with you? You seemed... out lately?" Jessica finally found the right words to ask him. She's been itching to ask him that question ever since their sleepover happened and it was two weeks ago so she thought that maybe it's the right time to ask him.

He knew she'd notice. Maybe he's not that really good in acting that everything's okay. He's not his forte, after all. He chuckled before answering. "You didn't tell me you were—sorry to bring this topic up—that you were adopted."

Jessica nodded as she understood. She already knew that Tiffany had told him about him. Earlier that morning, Tiffany came to her with a worried face and told her that she told Donghae about her whole story because she felt like he has the right to know. Jessica got her point. Of course, he has to know. Even though the four of them are bestfriends, she chose to hide it away from them, telling herself that it's no big deal but the truth is, it kinda is.

"And that your grandmother didn't treat you right." Donghae added.

"Why are you suddenly bringing this up? You know, it's okay." Jessica faked a smile but it hurts her whenever she remembers what had happened to her before. She knows to herself that she already got over with her trauma but she can't help but to still feel hurt whenever she remembers her horrible past. What she went through is no joke. It was hard for her and she's lucky enough that she found a way out of that misery.

"It's just that, you could've told me about it." he replied with a worried expression plastered on his handsome face. "Tiffany told me that I have the right to know so she told me about it. I swear, every word she told me about your sufferings before pierced my heart."

Jessica placed her right hand on his cheek and gave him a smile. "What happened in the past is not that important now, Hae. What's important is the present and how will the future turn out."

"But, you could've just told me about it." he whined like a kid causing her to laugh at his overloading cuteness.

She put her attention back to the scenery in front of them. "Yes, I was adopted. Yes, my grandma didn't treat me right. I used to forget all of these things but when I had a nightmare about it, it came back to me like a perfect storm. I thought I got over it already but it haunted me once again."

"Sure, I'll never be able to escape from this misery. It'll just keep on haunting me down." A tear suddenly rolled down on her cheek.

Donghae immediately wiped it away using his thumb as he looked at her apologetically. Now, he's cursing himself on why did he brought that topic up that caused her to cry.

"They adopted me when my parents couldn't bear a child. But years after, Krystal came, their true daughter. Since then, I never got the same treatment as hers but I didn't mind knowing she's my little sister. Then as time goes by, my Mom only cared about her. She's her favorite, of course, she's her one and only and I know I'm just nothing for her because she already forgot about me. But, I'm so thankful that somehow, my Dad still cared about me even though he's really not my father. He was the only one who treated me right. He was the one who told me the truth. He was the one who supported me through it all and up until now although he already has a new family."

"Mom and Dad filed a divorce. I saw them fight a lot and that's when Dad decided to send me to California, to my grandmother. That's where I met you guys, right?" Donghae nodded. "I thought living there would spare me out of my misery but I was wrong. It never did. All along, I thought it was a good idea but it turns out, not. I was being maltreated by my grandma. And yes, the bruises. I remember you always teasing me why I kept wearing long sleeves but I did that to cover up my bruises. I'm pretty sure Tiffany had told you about this already." Jessica found herself wiping her tears which continuously streamed down her usual serene face.

He's seeing the other side of Jessica. It hurts for him seeing her like that, knowing the hardships that she had experienced before. Now, he wish he was there to help her. He wish that he knew about it much earlier so he could help her somehow. For a girl like her, it's too much to take. It was very painful for her, of course.

He moved closer to her and pulled her in for a hug. "This hug might not be enough but I swear, from today onwards, I'll always be right here beside you." He kissed her hair as he tightened the hug.

She rest her chin on her shoulder as she thanked God for having someone like him, to be there for her at times like this. She doesn't know what to do if she doesn't have him. He gives her strength. He gives her comfort. God knows how much thankful she is that she has someone like Donghae. She couldn't ask for more.

"Tiffany was kind of worried if ever your grandma shows up all of a sudden." Donghae mentioned as she pulled away from the hug. She sighed heavily. She haven't thought about it. But it's too impossible for her grandmother to show up knowing she's now living at Tribeca in New York.

"She won't. I just hope that she won't." She hoped as now the sun has fully set. Anytime soon, it'll turn dark.

Donghae nodded and looked at her once more. "I'm sorry if I made you cry." he wiped the remaining tears on her face with his thumb.

"It's okay. It's okay to cry sometimes. Even the strongest person break down at times." she pointed out as she smiled at him.

"That's my girl!" Donghae patted the top of her head gently, feeling proud of her. She's a strong woman and he knows that. She's been through a lot and she took all of those things as a lesson and reason to be strong. And now, here she is, a strong Jessica.

"I love you to the moon and back." she told him while blushing.

He chuckled as he reached for her and cupped her small yet gorgeous face.

He closed his eyes and his lips landed on her forehead before saying: "I love you too. Always do. Always will."

Her smile grew even more.

That day was surely one of the best days of her life. She'll treasure it.


But just as you thought that everything has already fallen into its proper places, then maybe you thought wrong.

The two of them are about to go back when Jessica's phone rang.

The caller ID says it's Tiffany so she picked it up as fast a lightning. "What's u—"

"I need you to get back here as soon as you can."

"B-But why? Is there something wrong?" she asked, obviously confused and clueless about what's going on.

"Your mother's here and she's looking for you."

Crap, she thought.

_________________________________

author's note

Thank you so much SwiftSwiftSwift!

Comments are appreciated :) Tell me how did it go. Tell me what do you think will happen next.