Chapter 008

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 008~~

"Yah, what are you doing on my phone?" Luna exclaimed, as she returned from the bathroom.

Onew was baffled. He immediately put the phone down and said casually, "Nothing. I was wondering what type of apps you have."

Luna raised her eyebrows and grabbed her phone from the bed, where Onew placed it. According to the phone history, Onew had been in the message application the last.

Luna opened her message app and browsed through her sent messages to see whether Onew had sent anything to anyone.

"Yah, why did you send this to Luhan?!?!" Luna demanded angrily.

"Why are you so bothered by this? You would be the person to send something like this." Onew stated.

TO: Luhan

FROM: Luna Park

Annyeong Luhan! ^^

How are you? Prom with you was very memorable! :)
I don't regret accepting your request.
Final exams are coming up! Are you studying?
Anyway, study hard and let's hope you do well!

Hwaiting~!

"Aniyo! This message is disgusting! I seem cloying and you ruined everything!" Luna shouted.

Onew smirked and reverted to his studying.

"Aiish. Why should I care? You're the one who's going to rank in second when Luhan gets first rank." Luna stuck her tongue out and smiled.

"You've already done the deed. Thank you." Onew said.

It was all up to fate to decided what rank Onew would come in.

~~~

Onew patted Luna's shoulder to wake her. It was the day of the final exam and he would not stand for any laziness.

"Yah! Wake up! I have to leave!!!" Onew yelled. Luna immediately got up and was about to rush into the bathroom, when she bumped her head into Onew's stomach.

"Aigoo....my head...." Luna moaned, as she continued walking.

"That's what you get for not waking up the moment I tell you to." Onew said.

"I had to clean up the mess you made last night so I slept later than you did." Luna said, walking to the bathroom.

Onew shrugged his shoulders and perused through his notes.

~~~

"Aigoo....Luna, do well, okay? Your mother is going to be so proud of you! You're already graduating! Jinki-ah, you too. Do well on the exam." Mrs.Lee hugged Luna.

"Ne! I'll do amazing!" Luna held her fist up in a "fighting!" motion.

"Yah, hurry up!" Onew grumbled.

"Lee Jinki, is this how you address a girl? Especially Luna. Call her again." Mrs.Lee rebuked.

Onew suddenly tensed up. He was actually nervous and timid to call Luna.

"Jinki, hurry up, you have to leave, don't you?" Mrs.Lee smiled, satisfied at increasing infatuation between the two.

"Sunyoung-ah, hurry up! We have to go!" Onew blushed and walked out of the room. Luna looked up in surprise. Onew had called her "Sunyoung" not "Luna".

 Yah, you know how much I love it when you call me Sunyoung? Please, I hope you continue calling me this. Park Sunyoung......Lee Jinki. Luna thought to herself as she said goodbye to Mrs.Lee and followed Onew to his car. 

Mrs.Lee watched the two leave and picked up the ringing phone.

"Yeoboseyo?" Mrs.Lee said.

"Eun Hye! It's me! Yoo Jung!" A familiar voice said with energy.

"Yoo Jung-ah, it's been so long. How are you? You're just like Luna with your enthusiasm." Mrs.Lee laughed.

"I know. She must've gotten her avidness from me. I'm well. How are you? Luna isn't troubling you, right?" 

"I'm terrific. Luna is an angel. Her energy really helps me get through the day. She's such a kind girl. And, Jinki and Luna are becoming closer and closer with each day. Jinki actually addressed her as Sunyoung today, not Luna."

"Omo! That's amazing! We just have to be patient and then break the news to them."

"Luna will be fine with the news. It's just Jinki I'm fretting about."

"Yah, he'll be fine."

"I hope so. Well, I must go. Annyeong. Yoo Jung-ah, call again soon, okay? Luna might want to speak to you." 

"Ne. Annyeong. I'll call tomorrow, maybe." Mrs.Lee hung up the phone and took a deep breath. 

~~~

As Onew took the final exam, he found it unexpectedly challenging. In short intervals, he would sigh and pray that he would do well. Luna glanced at him digging his nails into his hair and worried for him.

Meanwhile, Luhan sneaked looks at Luna. When he caught her eye, he grinned brightly. Luna nervously smiled at him and went back to her exam. She needed to concentrate.

~~~
"Aiish. Sunyoung-ah, I screwed up this exam!" Onew exclaimed.

He had gotten the habit of just calling her Sunyoung now. This frivolous change led to a comfortable atmosphere between Luna and Onew. They suddenly were best friends. Onew had even gotten to the point where he pointed out that she could sit in the seat next to him while he was driving. However, Luna refused because she knew that this seat was reserved only for his parents and future girlfriend/wife. 

"Yah, you're just exaggerating. You need to relax. Just sleep and everything will be alright." Luna assured.

"How did you think the exam was?"

"I thought it was tough. Most of the questions I had to stop and think for a while." Luna said. Onew was about to sigh in relief, but paused when he thought of another plausible question.

"What did Luhan say about the test?" Onew posed.

"Yah, forget about this! You are fretting too much. I haven't spoken to him yet. Let me ask him now." Luna took out her phone and furiously pressed buttons.

 TO: Luhan
FROM: Luna Park

Annyeong Luhan! How did you think the final exam was?

I thought it was alright. I hope we do well on it!


Luna received a reply five minutes later. Onew ardently looked over her shoulder for the reply. His shoulders sank when he saw the reply.

TO: Luna
FROM: Luhan

I thought it was pretty facile. I finished early.

I'm glad to have been ridden of all this stress, right?

Onew curled up on his bed and hid his face from the light. 

"It's okay. No one is flawless. Today might not have been your day." Luna soothed.

"Sunyoung-ah......" Onew broke down. Tears streamed down his face. "Today had to be my day! If I didn't do well...."

Luna turned around to face him. She lifted Onew up from the crouched up position he sat in and hugged him tightly.

"Onew-ah, have hope. You are really studious. I haven't seen you without a book since I came here. You will rank in first. I believe it and so do you. Why do you have to rank in first place?" Luna whispered.

He remained still and let her hug him. 

Moments later, he replied. "I don't want to disappoint my parents. Did you know that after your family left for the States, our family became to the point of living on the streets? My father's business partners cheated him. Your family aided us in the times of struggle. After that period of my life, I swore to my parents as well as myself that I would study diligently and become well-educated. I would become successful in life and free us from debt. If I get ranked in first place, I will receive a bountiful sum of money for my future life. I can use the money for removing debt. I must do well on this exam."

"You will, Onew-ah. Hwaiting...."Luna trailed off. She didn't know this about Onew's family. Her parents had never told her, but now that she scrutinized her past, she recalled several trips to the bank to transfer money overseas. 

~~~

Author's Note:

Annyeong fellow readers! :)

I hope you enjoyed  this chapter that had a few sweet LuNew moments! I really liked writing this chapter, but maybe I won't like writing the next one....*cue gasp from readers*

What is going to happen next? 

On another note, I love f(x)'s new album, "Red Light"!!! It is perfection! I loved it more than I did "Pink Tape"! All the songs were decent! I can't stop listening to them! Listen to the album, if you haven't already! 

Good bye!