Special Chapter: Luna in America + Onew's Scouting

The Vanity in My Love

Special Chapter: Luna in America + Onew's Scouting

 A year after Luna left South Korea in search of a singing future, she fell into depression. Here you see how she copes with it. 

Luna picked up her books and walked out of the dorm room. "Luna! Where are you going?" A fellow roommate called out to her, but she ignored her and continued to walk.  

Luna absentmindedly wandered the dorm campus, looking at the vast, dark clouds. Luna paused at the commentary board on the dorm campus and read from it. The commentary boards was a constructive bulletin board in which students wrote about what their fellow classmates could improve on.

She glanced at her own name and silently read the criticism.

Luna Park: 

You're an alright singer, I guess. You do not have any breathing issues, or anything. 

Wow, you kind of might not be a good singer because you lack beauty. You're average.

Good job! You're an exceptional singer and you have so much energy and happiness while you sing! 

Please become a vocal teacher instead. Your looks are a little on the low side.

Look prettier and lose weight in your cheeks. You look like a baby.

Get a better fashion sense. Singers have to look good at all times.

Maybe you should stop working out your legs too much? They look too masculine.

Luna shook her head and checked the time on her phone. 8:23pm. It would be 9:23am in South Korea. 

Luna began to dial a number and placed the phone to her ear. Please pick up, Lee Jinki. Please. 

~~~

"Umma! Wait, my phone is ringing! I'll be there in ten minutes." Onew said, hanging up the home phone. Mrs.Lee had requested him to help her at a charity event and it would be starting soon.

Onew looked at the number and frowned. It was a foreign caller. Could it be....Sunyoung?

"Yeobo seyo?" Onew cautiously said into the phone.

"Lee Jinki?" A small voice questioned.

"Sunyoung?" Onew smiled brightly. It was her.

"Jinki-yah.....Can I talk to you? Please don't hang up." Sunyoung's voice seemed in pain and pleading, so Onew paid attention to her, worried all of a sudden. 

"Sunyoung-ah, are you okay? I'm here. What's wrong?" 

"Jinki, I cannot do it anymore. I do not want to anymore. It's too difficult. I have reached my breaking point." 

"What happened? What can't you do anymore?" 

"Anything. I don't want to become anything. I'm useless. That's why you don't like me, right? I am a stupid little girl."

Onew widened his eyes at Luna's words. Where was she getting this diminishing mentality from? Where was the sunshine in Luna? 

"Park Sunyoung. What are you talking about? You are not useless. Don't listen to anyone, okay? Why are you like this all of a sudden?" 

It was silent on the other end. Onew widened his eyes and dropped the home phone.

"SUNYOUNG? Can you hear me?!" Onew exclaimed into his phone.

"Yes, I can hear you." Sunyoung said quietly.

"Yah, why don't you respond then? Aiish, making me worry like that." Onew sighed.

"Why should you be worried? I don't mean anything to you, right?" Sunyoung said.

"What are you saying? You mean a lot to me. Why wouldn't I be worried about you?" Onew asked.

"Because you made it clear when I was with you. I can't go on longer, Lee Jinki. My heart hurts. Is it because of you?"

"Sunyoung-ah, please tell me what's wrong. I will help you." Onew became even more tense.

The signal suddenly cut off Luna's and Onew's phone call. Onew hung up, waiting for Sunyoung to call again. However, she didn't and Onew went out to the charity event.

~~~

"Lee Jinki! Where have you been? You're late! Hurry up and get onto stage! Sing 'In Your Eyes'. The background instrumental is set up and all you need to do is sing." Mrs.Lee shouted.

Onew walked to his mother, perplexed. "What are you saying? Why do I need to sing? Don't we have actual singers?" 

"No. They said they would not be able to come to the charity event. People paid to watch others' sing. This is the only way the charity can earn money. Please, Jinki. You need to. You're a pretty good singer, right? Just sing now." Mrs.Lee smiled.

Onew nodded. He wasn't sure what he was doing, but he took a deep breath and sped to the makeshift stage. Singing reminded him of Luna. He loved watching her sing as a child and even now. She would get lost into the music and smile so heartfeltly that it made him smile, too. Would it be the same for him? Would he be able to make others smile like he did with Luna? 

Onew stepped onto the stage and a man handed him a mic. 

"Jinki-ssi, please keep in mind that you'll be singing all of the song without backup vocals, so do well. We don't want to be rebuked." The man warned. Onew nodded vehemently and nervously looked at everyone who stared back with curiousity. He saw his mother. 

Why did he feel so nervous when this should be something minor? 

The beginning notes of the song began to play.

I have been told once but
I felt the heart beating on that day

I know from the start
I was not sure what, we sounded like it is destiny

Love me and
Time will lead you
Forever without breaking up
I thought I was dreaming, like a real dream

Remember that day when we first met
Dazzling and radiant eyes and gave me such a day
Thank you for what you gave me

As Onew sang, his mind filled with thoughts of Luna; how she had dazzling and radiant eyes. He was thankful for her presence since he was born. Still though, could he think of her as more than a friend?

Looking at me smiling to you

It was a good day

Why there are tears

In my eyes

Forever we will not break up
Always dream to hope that will not change the next day

Onew's eyes began to water and he quickly blinked them away. Mrs.Lee, like a mother would know, immediately deciphered Onew's watery eyes, though she was from a far distance. She smiled to herself, her eyes fixed on her son.

The song ended and Onew bowed in respect. 

"Thank you so much! That was beautiful. Can you please tell us your name?" The man from before asked. 

"Lee Jinki. This song is dedicated to the one that I am missing. Thank you for letting me perform this song." Onew bowed once more and descended the stage. 

"Excuse me, sir. I am an SM Entertainment scout. I thought your performance was beautiful and unfeigned. Your voice is so sweet and melodious. Please consider joining the upcoming SM trainee audition. Thank you." A woman handed Onew her card. He thanked her and walked away with a puzzled look on his face. 

Mrs.Lee rushed to Onew, excited. "Jinki-yah! Everyone likes your voice. What's that?" Mrs.Lee pointed to the card in Onew's hand.

"It's an SM Entertainment card. A woman scouted me. She asked me to join the audition coming up soon. Should I do it?" Onew asked.

"It's your choice. If you think you can be a singer, then go ahead." Mrs.Lee smiled. 

Onew thought for a moment. He liked the one moment he sang on stage. It would be nice to sing more, he thought. 

Onew settled on a chair, as his mother rushed to greet other people. 

Lee Jinki. A singer. That sounds nice. Onew the singer. It sounds even better. Onew smiled to himself.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates! 

How was this chapter? I hope everyone liked it. 

The song Onew sang was "In Your Eyes" from To The Beautiful You OST. 

http://www.kpoplyrics.net/onew-in-your-eyes-lyrics-english-romanized.html

So, I decided to include this chapter to show that Luna wasn't all smiles during her return to America. Onew, too, didn't magically forget about Luna. 

It was something different. 

Thank you for commenting and all your lovely deeds! Goodbye! I'll try to update sooner!