Chapter 032

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 032~~

"Sunyoung. I miss us. I miss the past where you and I used to spend time with each other, watching dramas and yelling at each other for which character was going to end up with the main lead. I miss it so much. I want you, Sunyoung." Onew revealed, tears continuing to spill from his eyes.

"Jinki-ah, what can I do?" Sunyoung sighed. 

They remained like that a few for minutes, until Onew finally passed out and Sunyoung placed him in the car and drove to his house. 

When she rang the doorbell to Onew's home, Sunyoung was faced with a livid Jung Ah. 

"Yah Park Sunyoung. What did you do with my oppa?!" Jung Ah spit out, glaring at Sunyoung. 

"Jung Ah-sshi, I found Onew drunk at a street bar. So, I brought him to his house, as you can see." Sunyoung explained, still standing at the doorstep. 

"Excuse me? You expect me to believe that? Why is there only one car then?" Jung Ah demanded, glaring at Sunyoung. 

"I left mine at the bar and I'll just pick it up with Krystal or someone tomorrow." Sunyoung said. 

"Why didn't you call me and tell me about Onew?" 

"I don't have your phone number." Sunyoung replied smoothly. "Can I bring Onew inside? He's becoming heavy." 

Jung Ah groaned and took Onew from Sunyoung's shoulders. 

"Aiish, you can't even support a man for a few seconds. What is wrong with you? How is Jonghyun when withstanding you?" Jung Ah looked at Sunyoung in a disgusted manner. 

"Excuse me? I love Jonghyun and he loves me. I don't think Jonghyun is bothered by me." Sunyoung stated, as Jung Ah allowed Onew to rest on the couch. 

"Then, why do you always hang around near my Onew oppa?" Jung Ah continued to give a vicious look at Sunyoung.

"When did I ever do that?" Sunyoung shook her head, perplexed. 

"It's so obvious you want to date him because he is perfect." 

"Jung Ah, I have Jonghyun. Why would I want Onew?" 

"Don't deny it. Sunyoung, stop being such a sl*t. You already have your pathetic boyfriend. Onew is mine and he hates you. If you dare come near him and try to appeal to him in any way, I will do the same with Jonghyun. Go to hell and get out of my house." Jung Ah moved her face close to Sunyoung's and held her wrist tightly, almost pinching it. 

Sunyoung gasped, alarmed at Jung Ah's cruel nature. "Jung Ah...." 

"Do I have to repeat myself?" Jung Ah said, smiling in a falsely sweet manner. 

"No. Good bye." Sunyoung said, shocked. She bowed slightly and left the house in a daze. 

How is Onew dating such a mean woman? I thought Jung Ah was a sweet woman. Does Onew not know this side of her? Or did he choose her because she hated me? Does Onew really hate me? Sunyoung thought as she drove home.

~~~

Onew woke up in a startled manner, as he shot up from the couch. He felt his body leaning against someone and he turned around to see who it was. Jung Ah put her hand on his shoulder and he pushed it away, shaking his head. His head was hurting badly and he stood up, trying to get a sense of the world. 

"Oppa, are you okay? I can help you. You're badly hung over." Jung Ah said, walking closer to him. 

"Jung Ah, wait. Please leave me alone for a moment." Onew said, holding his hands up to prevent her from touching him. Jung Ah frowned and then nodded. 

Onew closed his eyes, wondering why his head hurt so much and why he was suddenly angry. His mind swirled around for a moment when he suddenly remembered something.

"Jung Ah, I have Jonghyun. Why would I want Onew?" 

"Don't deny it. Sunyoung, stop being such a sl*t. You already have your pathetic boyfriend. Onew is mine and he hates you. If you dare come near him and try to appeal to him in any way, I will do the same with Jonghyun. Go to hell and get out of my house."

Onew stood up, searching for Sunyoung. His brown eyes seemed lost and he held in calling for her.

"Oppa! What's wrong?" Jung Ah asked, concerned. 

Onew gasped and pushed her away. "Don't touch me, Jung Ah. I'm so disappointed in you. You think I remember nothing of what you said to Sunyoung? You know how that cruel is?" 

"Oppa..." Jung Ah turned red, ashamed of her words. "I didn't mean it. She just barged in so randomly and..." 

"So? If it wasn't her, I would've been there all night. You should be thanking her. Don't talk to me. What is this behavior? Do you think that you are better than her?" Onew ranted, glaring at Jung Ah. 

Suddenly, he recalled what he said to Sunyoung. 

"Luna, I don't think you are good enough for Luhan. Look at how perfect he is and then look at you. It's okay, though. You have a bunch of guys around you anyway. Do you know how many guys want me to tell you that you're pretty or ask me to tell you that they want to go out with you? You're such a sl*t. Stop flirting with every guy you see. Every guy you see, you just go and become all friendly with him. No wonder Luhan has fallen for you. You've managed to seduce him. It's pathetic."

Yah, Onew, do you think you're any better than Jung Ah? You must have hurt Sunyoung so much. Aiish, pabo. Pabo pabo pabo. Why are you so stupid?  Onew thought to himself, still staring at Jung Ah.

"Oppa, I didn't mean it. I was worried for you and wasn't thinking of Sunyoung. I'm sorry. I already apologized to Sunyoung this morning on the phone." Jung Ah lied.

As Onew washed his face in the bathroom, he couldn't help but recall all the things he had said to Sunyoung.  

It was settled. Onew would apologize sincerely to Sunyoung today. 

~~~

Jonghyun brushed his hair for the thousandth time and tampered with the tie attached to his dress shirt. He was dressed in a spotless, light blue button-down shirt with a black tie and black dress pants. Today was the day of the proposal. He had already prepared an event for Sunyoung and it was to be held where they first held hands, which was outside in the SM gardens.

He had already assigned his friends various tasks for the event. Victoria and Krystal, the most persuasive of the group, were to drag Sunyoung to the common room. Minho, Sulli, and Taemin, the tallest of the group, were to decorate the gardens with Sunyoung's favorite flowers, lighting, and other appealing attractions. Key and Amber, the people with the best taste in food, were to buy a small, but beautiful cake for Sunyoung. The only person not included was Onew. And so, without informing Jonghyun, Key had invited Onew to purchase a cake with him and Amber.

Jonghyun checked his appearance in the mirror, one last time before stepping out of Key's bathroom. He had told Sunyoung that he had to meet with SHINee's manager today and quickly stuffed his nice clothing into a backpack, while Krystal and Minho(also living in the same house as the couple) distracted Sunyoung. Subsequently, Jonghyun drove to Key and Amber's house to get ready. 

"Ready, Jjong?" Key patted Jonghyun on the shoulder. 

Jonghyun bit his lip and nodded. "Dude, what is this feeling? I feel like I don't have something. There's something missing."

"That's just because you're nervous. What happened to your confidence?" Key smirked. 

"What do you mean? I'm always confident." Jonghyun stuttered nervously. 

"It's okay. Remember how smoothly Minho proposed to Krystal?" Key recalled, smiling.

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows and laughed. "You call that smooth?"

Minho and Krystal's proposal event:

"Minho hyung, Krystal is here!" Taemin shouted, panicking. His house was a mess of opened packages of balloons, lighting, and more. Minho was a mess, as well. His hair was disheveled and his sleeves were rolled up. He hadn't assumed that preparing a proposal would take this long.

"What?" Minho exclaimed, scrambling to get Krystal's ring when the doorbell rang. 

"Taemin-ah? Open the door! Why did you call me? Minho and I are going out soon!" Krystal called from outside the door.

"Wait, Krystal!" Taemin yelled, locking the door. Minho signaled him to open the door and Taemin did. Krystal walked inside, shocked at the colorfully decorated room.

"Happy birthday!" Minho shouted, before shaking his head. "Wait no, I mean happy anniversary. Aiish, I'm so stupid. I-I think."

Minho walked towards Krystal in a hurry, until he tripped over the rug laid out on the floor and crashed into Krystal.

"Krys, are you okay? I'm so sorry!" Minho scrambled to pat her head.

"Oh no, he's caught Onew condition." Onew smirked, whispering to Key. 

"We can call it Minho condition now." Key agreed. 

"Yes, I'm fine. What is this, Minho? It's not my birthday or our anniversary." Krystal said.

Minho took a deep breath and lowered his knee to the ground.

"Jung Soojung, we haven't been together for long and I regret that. It makes wonder what I've been doing all this time. I've been happy, but this feeling here is something I never felt before. The fact that I feel it with you makes me so grateful. You really make my life a million times better. I don't know if I've told you that before. Thank you for being in my life, Krys. I want you to continue being in my life. I want to be the one you wake up next to forever. You are the one for me, Soojung. I love you to my fullest. So, will you take my hand and be with me forever?" 

Present

"It was still a cute proposal." Key reminisced.

"Okay, enough wasting time. I need to leave. Come quickly with the cake. Okay?" Jonghyun said.

Key nodded and wished him well. How would Sunyoung react to this?

~~~

"Unni, do we have to help tend the garden? Don't they have workers for that?" Sunyoung complained, as she stepped into Krystal's car with Krystal and Victoria. They had told her that she had to help them tend the SM gardens.

"Yes, the workers are on a holiday." Victoria said quickly. Krystal stifled a snort at Victoria's poor excuse and began to drive to the gardens.

The moment they reached the gardens, Sunyoung was in a better mood. She fixed her light blue top and descended from the car. Her cranky mood from before had disappeared when she noticed that her favorite flowers(carnations) were aligned along the garden pathway. She hummed softly as she walked down the pathway, absentmindely immersed at the appearance various colors of carnations.

Suddenly, she heard a voice singing and she turned to look up. Jonghyun was standing at a gazebo and was soulfully singing, while looking at her.

"Being born in the same country
Talking in the same language
We’re so lucky, it’s such a relief
Nothing is for certain in this world

On a day that I wore nice clothes
I met you, I was lucky
It’s because I did good in the past

I can call your name and I can hold your hand
Is the falling sunlight only shining on me? Can I be this happy?
You call my name and you lean on my shoulder
Is the sky’s sunlight only shining on you? Can you be that dazzling?
So lucky, my love
So lucky to have you
So lucky to be your love, I am. 

We like the same colors
We like the same movies, lucky
It’s a love that’s meant to be

I can call your name and I can hold your hand
Is the falling sunlight only shining on me? Can I be this happy?
You call my name and you lean on my shoulder
Is the sky’s sunlight only shining on you? Can you be that dazzling?
So lucky, my love

We smile brightly in the photo, we’re a perfect harmony
I think I’m a lucky guy, it’s so good like we’re in a fairy tale of our dreams
Oh my god, it’s the best thing to hear
Her voice melts me like ice cream
She is picture perfect

Because you’re my first, because this song is about you
I’m smiling like this, so only you can see, are you looking at me right now?
I have a new dream, it’s to be one a better man
Because your eyes that look at me make me run once again more than anything else
So lucky, my love
So lucky to have you
So lucky to be your love, I am.

Jonghyun slowly knelt down and took out a box and held it out in front of Sunyoung. Sunyoung gasped and covered , astonished at what was going on. 

"Park Sunyoung, you were my first love and I want you to be my last. You were the first woman for whom I lost my mind for. For the first nights after I met you, I couldn't sleep or eat or do anything without thinking of you. I knew that this was the feeling of love, from the wise words of Amber Liu. I've said most of what I want to convey to you in the song I wrote for you. Will you marry me, my beautiful Park Sunyoung?" Jonghyun asked.

Sunyoung looked up at the sky, closing her eyes. The first image that floated into her head was Onew's smile. She took a deep breath and pondered.

Should I say yes? I love Jonghyun, and I want to say yes. I love him a lot. But....why am I hesitating? He is a good man. I have every reason to say yes. 

Sunyoung opened her eyes and looked at her surroundings. Her gaze landed on Onew, who smiled forlornly at her. He slightly bit his lip and Sunyoung infered that he was holding something in. 

"Jonghyun, I think that....." Sunyoung began. 

Author's Note: 

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I wrote an author's note!

I hope you all enjoy the story so far! It's really changed from a casual fanfic to a dramatic one! 

Hmm... will Sunyoung say yes or no? We'll have to see. ;) 

Please continue to support "TVIML"! 

Thank you and annyeong<3

P.S. The song Jonghyun sang is EXO's Lucky.