Chapter 035

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 035~~

Sunyoung knocked on Onew's door, contemplating whether what she was doing was just or not. Before she could come to a decision, Jung Ah opened the door, staring at Sunyoung blankly. Gradually, Jung Ah let her in, still confused at her appearance. 

"Your Onew is not here. Have you two already hit it off? Not even a day since we broke up and already he has another girl." Jung Ah stated.

"Jung Ah, please listen to me. I'm not here for Onew. I'm here for you. Onew and I are nothing but friends. I promise you that. Why would I be engaged to Jonghyun if I liked Onew? I don't like Onew. We are total opposites and we can't get along. So, please, don't end your relationship with Onew. Both of you should be happy. I came here to tell you this. I don't want a perfectly fine couple to be ruined because of me." Sunyoung expressed, unfeigned.

Jung Ah laughed loudly. "Park Sunyoung, you really think that I like Onew even now? It's obvious he doesn't like me as much as he likes you. I will not be tossed aside by a man, so it's better if I toss him aside first. Onew was getting kind of boring anyway, with all his sappiness." Jung Ah shrugged. 

"Kim Jung Ah, what is your problem?!?! You should be grateful Onew even likes you! You're cruel. You'll never find a man if you act like that. Ending a relationship because someone is boring? You've only been together for two years! You don't know everything about Onew. Onew really is a great guy, so you'll regret breaking up with him." Sunyoung said. 

"I will not. Now, please leave. I don't need to listen to some girl yapping about the person she likes. Good bye." Jung Ah glared at Sunyoung. Sunyoung frowned and then closed the door behind her. 

Was doing this for Onew right? Is it a good thing that Onew rid himself of a mean girl like Jung Ah? Sunyoung thought. 

~~~

Minho and Krystal smiled at each other once again after staring at their wedding pictorial and then frowned immediately after hearing Sunyoung's car climb into the driveway. They saw Jonghyun angrily wait in front of the door, waiting for the reprimand to begin. Krystal, with her tongue-slipping, had accidentally revealed that Sunyoung went to Onew's house to get Jung Ah and Onew back together, even though Sunyoung had reminded her incessantly not to tell Jonghyun.

Sunyoung unlocked the door and innocently opened it, unaware of Jonghyun's anger. She kissed Jonghyun on the cheek before noticing his strange behavior.

"Jonghyun, what's wrong?" Sunyoung asked, glancing at Krystal and Minho. Krystal mouthed a "Sorry" to Sunyoung and pouted. Sunyoung smiled back, shrugging her shoulders.

"Park Sunyoung. Why did you go to Onew's house?" Jonghyun asked.

"You know why." Sunyoung replied, staring at the ground.

Jonghyun sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "Why did you do this, Sunyoung?" 

"Why can't I? It was my fault that they broke up. But it was no use. Jung Ah was never really serious about Onew." 

"Why did you interfere with someone else's relationship? It has nothing to do with you! Onew should be able to deal with this on his own. Did you really have to stand for Onew? He shouldn't need you for everything." Jonghyun stated.

Minho raised his eyebrows and whispered to Krystal, "Jonghyun hyung went overboard. His jealousy has got him too far this time. Krys, get ready to stop a future arguement." Krystal nodded.

"Someone else? Onew is not just someone else!! He maybe for you, but not for me. ONEW IS MY FRIEND AND I CARE IF HE HAS A PROBLEM! Of course, he wouldn't be able to deal with this on his own. He loves Jung Ah and she broke up with him. He would be heartbroken and unable to process anything that is going on. He needs some support. How could you not care about your friends? You would help Minho if he was in a situation like this. Same with Key, Taemin, and anyone else. Why not Onew? Is it because of your jealousy? Can't you put it aside for even a minute?"

"Sunyoung, relax. I care about Onew, but I care about you even more. I want you to-" Jonghyun said before being interrupted by Sunyoung.

"How did you like me so easily, Jonghyun? You've known Onew longer. You should like him more, right?"

"NO! What makes you think that? I've been listening to your beautiful voice since you debuted as a singer!!" Jonghyun exclaimed, on the verge of losing his patience.

Sunyoung glared at him. "Again, what about Onew? You've known him longer than me. Why don't you like him? "

"WHY DOES IT MATTER, SUNYOUNG? I ONLY CARE ABOUT YOU!! WHY DO I NEED TO LIKE ONEW TO LOVE YOU?! WE ARE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. IF YOU CONSTANTLY TAL K ABOUT HIM, WHAT IS THE POINT OF ME? GO HOME TO YOUR PRECIOUS ONEW!!" Jonghyun shouted loudly, finally losing his patience.

Sunyoung froze, hanging open. Jonghyun widened his eyes, realizing that he had hurt Sunyoung's feelings.

"Okay, I will then. Maybe not to Onew, but to my own parents. Did we rush our engagement? I think so. Krystal, I'm going home." Sunyoung said quietly.

"We waited too late. Go soothe Sunyoung." Minho whispered, nudging Krystal. Krystal stood up and walked towards Sunyoung, stopping her from moving.

"Sunyoung unni, wait. Jonghyun oppa didn't mean what he said." Krystal said.

"How do you know? He means what he says." Sunyoung said. "And so do I."

"Hyung, go apologize. Do something. Noona will leave or else." Minho urged, pushing Jonghyun.

"Sunyoung!" Jonghyun called out. Sunyoung ignored him, taking her purse and keys. Jonghyun's, Krystal's, and Minho's voices drained from her head and the only thing she wanted to was go home to her parents. And Onew.

~~~

"Omeoni! I don't want anymore!" Onew exclaimed, smiling at Mrs. Park. Mrs. Park smiled back at Onew and placed the bowl of chicken down. The doorbell rang and Onew went to get it, his face still glowing from happiness.

In order to avoid Jung Ah when she was packing, Onew had gone to Sunyoung's parent's house. After initially wanting to visit his parents, his heart had suddenly wished for Mrs.Park's kind and caring words to soothe him. Thus, he steered his driving wheel towards the Park residence.

Onew opened the door and saw Sunyoung standing outside, biting her lip tightly.

"Onew? What are you doing here?" Sunyoung squeaked.

"I felt like visiting omeoni for a while. What are you doing here?" Onew asked, letting her come in.

Tears streaked down Sunyoung's face rapidly as she looked at Onew.

"Onew...Jonghyun doesn't like you!" Sunyoung stated.

"Sunyoung? When did you come here?" Mrs. Park exclaimed, her mouth growing into a smile. She paused when she saw Sunyoung's tear-streaked face.

"Sunyoung, are you okay?" Onew touched Sunyoung's shoulder,worried.

"He doesn't like you, Onew. Why don't you acknowledge that?" Sunyoung continued.

"Sunyoung, you're tired. Look at the bags under your eyes. You need sleep. Have you not been sleeping well?" Onew said.

"But, Onew, Jonghyun doesn't like you! How could he not? You're so innocent. But-" Sunyoung froze for a second, unable to speak. She rested her hands on the table and knelt down.

Onew touched her forehead and gasped. "You're burning! Omeoni, Sunyoung has a fever! Can you go get a wet cloth?"

Mrs. Park nodded and hurried off. Sunyoung looked at Onew and smiled.

"You actually care about me?" Sunyoung questioned.

"Of course, why wouldn't I?" Onew shook his head in confusion.

"I thought you didn't with all those words you said about me." Sunyoung said.

Onew frowned and said, "Come on, Sunyoung. Go to your room and rest."

"No, I'm fine."

"You're sick. Go sleep." Onew ordered.

Before Sunyoung could say no, Onew lifted Sunyoung up and carried her to her room. Sunyoung shrieked and Onew attempted to hush her.

"Yah, Park Sunyoung! Be quiet and rest. You're sick." Onew said. Sunyoung quieted down and slowly drifted off to a doze.

As she slept, Sunyoung murmured. Onew turned to look at her from his seated position on her bed.

"Jonghyun-ah...." Sunyoung mumbled. Onew frowned at Jonghyun's name coming from , but shook his head.

Yah, Onew, if not Jonghyun, whose name would come from Sunyoung? Sunyoung doesn't like you and never will. You're too late. Onew told himself.  Seven years ago, Sunyoung would dream about me. Now, I'm the one dreaming and repeating her name in my sleep.