Chapter 044

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 044~~

"Alright. Kim Jonghyun, do you take Park Sunyoung to be your wedded wife, to live together in marriage?  Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to her, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do." Jonghyun smiled proudly, looking at his hands holding Sunyoung's tightly. But he realized that it was only him that was holding Sunyoung's hands. She was not holding his. He tried not to frown as the minister continued. 

"Park Sunyoung, do you take Kim Jonghyun to be your wedded husband to live together in marriage?  Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health and forsaking all others, be faithful only to him so long as you both shall live?"

Sunyoung closed her eyes, ignoring the world around her for a moment. The words she would say would greatly affect those around her and of course, herself. Was she ready for this life with Jonghyun? Most importantly, she could not forget the fact that it was Jonghyun would be with her, not anyone else. 

They say a million thoughts are in a bride's head on the day of her wedding. 'What necklace should I wear?' 'Does the food taste good?' 'Omo, this is my special day!' 'Today will be perfect!' 'I look perfect, don't I?' 'Wow, I feel like a princess.' But why is only one single thought in my head? I wish it was Lee Jinki holding my hands. But I can change that right now. Jonghyun, I'm so sorry.

"I take back my vow." 

"Actually, I object now!" 

"I'm so sorry, Jonghyun."

Three voices said three different sentences at the same time. The hall filled with whispers and gasps. What was happening?

"I think we're going to like this." Sulli whispered to Taemin amongst the whispers of the hall.

"Yah, I told you to keep faith with those two. I, the world's best love guru, am never wrong about love." Key smirked at Minho.

"Dude, shut up! You're so loud! And, you're the one who had less faith in them than I did." Minho hissed. 

"Jonghyun, are you serious?" Onew stood up.

"Yes, hyung. I am. Sunyoung, when I first met you, I thought it was love at first sight. I had already known you, of course, because you were a famous singer and I loved your voice. Your beliefs on life and just everything you said seemed so agreeable that I became your admirer. When you came to Korea, I was lost within your beauty, but that admiration still was there. I mistakened my admiration for you as love. So, I don't think we were really meant to be. I noticed that at first, you seemed pretty happy with me, but as our wedding came closer, you were quieter. I assumed it was because you wouldn't be living with your family as often anymore, but now I know it's because of someone else. So, now whoever you choose to be with for the rest of your life, I am willing to accept it. We can remain friends though, right?" Jonghyun stated clearly.

"Jonghyun, I am so sorry. I really am. From the beginning, I foolishly engraved into my head that what was between me and you was love, but it's really not. It's more like anger at Onew that I eagerly decided to begin a relationship with you. And then the proposal...I agreed to marrying you because then too, I thought I sincerely loved you. But now, I realize that it is only a friendship between us. Jonghyun, from you, I learned that a relationship is not having the same likes and dislikes. Rather, it's using our differences and working with them to create a bond between us. By understanding each other and coping with our different sides, we can become one. With us, because we have similar interests, there is no need for cooperation and we never truly get to understand each other. I should've realized this before this moment. It seems unprofessional for me to say all these words in front of fellow artists of the entertainment industry. I'm glad you understand though, Jonghyun. I am happy to remain as friends." Sunyoung proclaimed, looking at Jonghyun.

The hall remained silent, as they waited for Onew's explanation for his objection to the wedding.

Onew cleared his throat and faced Sunyoung. His heart beat faster than it had ever before. It's now or never, Lee Jinki. He thought, unleashing his hidden emotions and thoughts. 

"Jonghyun and Sunyoung, I'm not good with words as you two already know. I'm also arrogant, without meaning to be. But, one thing is true about me. I have loved you, Park Sunyoung, from the beginning. I don't know why I wasn't able to tell you, but I'm telling you now. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love your twinkling eyes. I love the way you kind of stick your tongue out when you are concentrating hard. I love your soft, silky hair. You should grow it out though. It looks nice long. Anyway, I love the fact that you are shorter than me, just because. I love that you are yourself all the time. I love that you smile all the time. I love that you look so cute when you cry, but I hate that I have made you cry a lot. I'm so sorry for that. You can make me cry, too. But, Sunyoung, I have to ask you something. I'm an idiot, but I still am going to say this. Will you marry me?" Onew expressed, glancing at Jonghyun for a second, before facing Sunyoung again. He stepped onto the aisle and took out the ring from his and Sunyoung's childhood; his green one.

Jonghyun smiled, contently, looking at the two. Sunyoung's eyes widened, as she looked at Jonghyun. He nodded at her faintly and she smiled at him brightly.

"YAH, Lee Jinki! You think you can just barge in and stop this wedding? You are an idiot! But, I'm an idiot, too, so...." Sunyoung took off her heels and tossed them aside. Then, she rushed off to Onew and hugged him tightly.

"I love you, too, pabo. Of course, I will marry you." Sunyoung whispered.

"Well, I guess our our dreams are coming true." Mrs. Park whispered to Mr. Park.

~~~

A week later...

Sunyoung's heart felt so giddy all throughout the day. Today was finally the day. And it would not happen again, like the last time because she is sure that Onew is the one. She looked at her dress for the second time and then stepped outside her dressing room to look for Onew. 

"Soojung-ah! Did you see Onew? I need to give him something." Sunyoung called down the hall, where Krystal was busy talking to IU, a fellow singer and guest at the wedding.

"Unni, I can just give it to him. There's no need for you to go. Take a seat. You've been up all night. Aren't you tired?" Krystal asked. 

"No. Just tell me where he is." Sunyoung pleaded. 

"He's in the room next to yours." Krystal said, chuckling at Sunyoung's stubbornness.

Oh. He's right next to me and I didn't know that. Sunyoung thought, smiling to herself. 

Sunyoung knocked on the door once and Key opened it, smiling at her brightly. "Hey, noona! What's up?"

"Is Onew here?" Sunyoung asked.

"Yeah, he is. He's in the bathroom, fixing his suit. Why?"

"I need to give him some ring that umma wants him to wear." Sunyoung said.

"Hyung, come out of the bathroom! Your soon-to-be wife is here!" Minho teased.

"Hi Jonghyun and Taemin." Sunyoung smiled shyly. She still was slightly awkward with Jonghyun, but it was getting better day by day.

"Sunyoung?" Onew came out, closing his eyes.

"Yah, what are you doing? Open your eyes." Sunyoung laughed.

"NO. What are you saying?" He exclaimed.

"What do you mean? Why are you closing your eyes?" Sunyoung wondered.

"Because I don't want to see you until you walk down the aisle." Onew said, turning red.

"Oh. Well, umma wanted me to give you this ring. Only I could give this ring, so here put it on."

"You put it on." Onew held out his hand.

"Aiish. You can't put it on yourself?" Sunyoung teased.

"Noona, this is just an excuse for skinship." Taemin explained, grinning. Key gave him a high-five while Onew gave him a glare though it was difficult to understand with his eyes closed.

"Wow, that was a nice one, maknae." Jonghyun praised, looking at Taemin.

"Jinki-yah!" Mrs. Lee burst the door open, showing an obvious sign of anxiety. "Sunyoung! What are you doing?"

"Umma gave me this ring to give to Onew, so I came. I'm leaving now anyway." Sunyoung said quickly. 

The wedding would be starting soon and there was still a few more things she needed to, like put on her heels and find the bouquet of flowers she was supposed to hold. 

~~~

"She's not here yet." Onew whispered to Jonghyun, his best man. The wedding was to start soon and Onew was feeling nervous, like a man is before his wedding.

"She'll be here. She's not late, hyung." Jonghyun whispered back.

And soon enough, the epitome of an angel took gentle steps, holding her father's hand tightly. Onew was breathtaken.

I'm getting married to an angel today. What great luck for me. Onew thought, as Sunyoung took his hands.

"I know you'll take good care of her." Sunyoung's father chuckled.

Vows were exchanged filled with sweet nothings written by Sunyoung and Onew. This time, however, no performances were sung, except for one very special duet. 

Sunyoung and Onew took the microphones from Victoria and began to sing.

Even though I’m anxious at times
I will believe in you
Even if we miss paths
I will always be here

When you fall and are in pain
I will embrace it all
On days you shed tears
I’ll be with you
It’s love

Promise me

Even after many nights pass
Even if I get lost sometimes
Always be by my side like you are right now

When you’re tired and exhausted
I will accept it all
Just like I am now
I’ll be with you

Only for you
I’ll carefully lean on your lips
And love you
Always be with you

The hall was filled with applause for both the fact that the two has sung so well with great harmonization and that it seemed that they truly loved each other. It was truly a beautiful moment for both sides of the family, as they had been hoping their children would be getting married.

Soon, the "I do's" were said and the moment that Onew had been anticipating and Sunyoung had been dreading arrived.

"And now, you may kiss the bride." The minister stated.

Onew looked down at Sunyoung. His heart was beating a mile a minute. He had kissed her once before, but this kiss was special. This kiss would make them officially one. He loved her really and now she was his and he was hers. Finally.  

Slowly, he leaned in as she closed her eyes. Their lips met in a sweet and simple kiss. 

"Yah, that was so short!" Key exclaimed. 

"Who cares?! They're married now! They can kiss for however long they want later." Amber hit his shoulder. 

Sunyoung looked up at Onew. For a moment, they just stared at each other, ignoring the cheering and the excited talk of the guests and their family. They were now one. That was all that mattered.

Suddenly, the lights turned off. The hall went into hysterics as everyone looked around in a panicked way.

"Everyone, please settle down!" Onew requested. It was unsuccessful, however, for him to even say those words. 

"We apologize. Please bear with us. The lights have powered down due to a technical issue. We'll fix it immediately. Please do not panic and just rest in this room. Mr. Lee and Mr. Park, will you please come with me?" The wedding hall manager proclaimed.

The hall quieted down and soon, they resumed to small conversations about the couple's dressing and their personalities. The talk soon shifted to food. 

Sunyoung watched them talk and finally sat down on the steps of the chapel. Onew sat next to her and took her hand. She squirmed free and he frowned.

"It took you this long to say I love you. That's sad." Sunyoung teased, referring to his speech a week ago..

"You know, maybe, I regret making this decision. I have to deal with a girl who doesn't know how to keep things clean, is probably someone who steals the blanket at night, doesn't know how to make good food, is a sloppy eater, doesn't have good taste, and doesn't look good with excessive makeup." Onew smirked.

"YAH! It's a good thing if you don't look good with too much makeup! And if you don't like me, why did you marry me?!" Sunyoung whispered loudly. She pouted and looked away, waving at the front-row guests, including f(x), Sulli, and SHINee. 

"I'm sorry. Okay? I was just kidding." Onew smiled. 

"Onew, did you hear someone say anything?" Sunyoung turned around to look at him, trying to hide her smile.

"Sunyoung-ah, you heard me before." Onew grinned. 

"No. I didn't hear you say anything. I just heard a little bee buzzing or something. I didn't know there would be bees at this time of the year." Sunyoung continued to tease. She stood up, walking away from Onew slowly.

"Park-wait, no-Lee Sunyoung! Come here! You have to obey your husband!" Onew exclaimed, as Sunyoung tried to walk as fast as her high heels could take her. Unfortunately, it was the wrong time for her to be running as she tripped over her long wedding gown.

Onew held her just in time and spun her around, oblivious to the people watching. "I got you! I told you I was sorry, right? Do you accept my apology?"

He placed her on the ground, holding both her hands tightly. "Yes, yes. I accept your apology. Let me go now. People are watching." Sunyoung blushed.

"No. I will never let you go. I already did once and that was the worst thing I have ever done. I don't care who's watching. I love you, Park-no-Lee Sunyoung-sshi." Onew smiled, kissing her cheek.

"You know, you have to start getting used to saying Lee Sunyoung and I have to start calling myself Lee Sunyoung, too. Do you think we can do that?" Sunyoung said, taking Onew's hand. 

"I know. We can do anything as long as we're together." Onew stated.

~~~

Two childhood friends who later become enemies which then shifted to a one-sided love of a woman which then reversed into a one-sided love of a man which finally resulted in a married couple. What a story, isn't it?

~THE END~

Author's Note: 

Hey everyone.... The third part of "The Vanity in My Love" has now ended! 

I hope everyone has enjoyed this story.

There will be TWO more chapters after this one. One will be a reflection chapter, similar to the ones after part 1 and 2 of this story. 

The second chapter is a "Thanks to.." chapter, where I simply acknowledge and thank EVERY single one of my subscribers. 

That'll be a lot but it's worth it because you guys are amazing! I'll leave the cheesiness for that chapter, so I won't say anything anymore.

Thank you and bye bye!