Chapter 037

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 037~~

Onew took a chair in between his manager and Sunyoung's manager and nervously looked at Lee Soo Man, who was on the phone with someone. 

Sunyoung looked at him from across the table and frowned. This was her first scandal and she was agitated to find out how it would be cleared. 

"Alright, Sunyoung. Onew. Explain this to me. Why were you two together that night?" Lee Soo Man demanded, his voice gentle, despite the tension in the room. 

"Actually, I was going to my parents' house after a fight with Jonghyun. Onew and I have known each other since our childhood. We were friends since we were little and our parents knew each other inside out. So, Onew, after having broken up with Jung Ah-sshi, went to visit his parents. But, while going to his parents' house, he decided that it would be better to visit my parents, because they are like his second parents. He calls my parents omeoni and abeoji. So, he reached the house before I did and when I came, he opened the door, instead of omeoni. That's why the paparazzi must've confused us?" Sunyoung explained.

"I see...Tiffany, Jinyoung(SHINee's manager), what do you say about this?" Lee Soo Man asked.

"Sir, I think we should call a press meet and we can explain what Sunyoung just said. Of course, we wouldn't mention that Sunyoung had a fight with Jonghyun and all." Jinyoung answered.

"That is possible, but not believable. It takes a lot for the media and the public to be convinced." Lee Soo Man said.

 "Ahjusshi, we should let Onew and Sunyoung themselves to clear up the scandal on their own. It would be more believable and the media will trust them more as they are idols." Tiffany said.

"Unni, will they really believe us though? You can't just assume that. The media might think we are just repeating what our entertainment company told us to say." Sunyoung pointed out.

"Sunyoung, you have so many fans that are willing to forget this scandal. If a scandal doesn't spread, then the media will let go of it quickly. If we explain ourselves, then reporters may gain a new respect for us because of trueness. We don't want to be fake and post all these insincere apologies on Twitter or Instagram. I want to face the public with sincerity. I don't want to lie to them, Sunyoung. It's not like we are dating or doing anything bad for us not to tell them the truth." Onew looked at Sunyoung for support. She bit her lip, going over any cons of the solution Onew stated.

"Yes. I like Onew's and Manager unni's idea. Please, ahjusshi. Can we do that?" Sunyoung pleaded hopefully. 

"Fine. I'll contact the reporters. Please stay here until the press meet is over. We can't risk anymore people seeing you." Lee Soo Man said. 

"Yes. Thank you so much, ahjusshi. We'll be leaving then." Onew spoke for both himself and Sunyoung, as he bowed to the chairman before exiting the room. 

He turned around to wait for Sunyoung to follow him, but saw that she was walking the other way. Yearning to hear her sweet voice, he followed her instead. 

"Everything is settled. We're having a press meet later. It'll be live, so you can watch. When are Krys and Minho coming back from their honeymoon?" Sunyoung asked, talking on the phone with who Onew assumed was Jonghyun. 

He sighed and leaned against the wall when she stopped walking. Her voice giggled as she spoke with Jonghyun and it made Onew even more jealous.

Maybe I was wrong in ever rejecting Sunyoung. I want her so much. At this moment, I will do anything for her. But's it's too late. She already has someone willing to do anything for her and more. Onew thought.

"Hey, Onew." Sunyoung smiled at Onew and sat next to him in the hallway. "Manager unni just texted me. She said that we were having lunch soon. Do you want to join us?" 

"Uh...I think....okay. I will. " Onew said. He shifted his glance from the ground to the walls to the ground again. He fought to not look at Sunyoung's pretty eyes or even more pretty smile as she spoke to him.

"Onew! Sunyoung! Are you guys really dating?!" Taeyeon and Tiffany of Girls' Generation rushed towards the two, interest showing on their faces.

"Aniyo! We are not!" Sunyoung raised her voice, unknowingly. Onew smiled sadly, observing how much she didn't want to be associated in a scandal with him.

"Oh. Never mind. See you later then." Taeyeon frowned, disappointed at not receiving any gossip. She and Tiffany rushed away, ratting about some other scandal within the music industry.

"Sunyoung, have you decided your wedding date yet?" Onew asked, once the Girls' Generation members had left the hallway. 

"No, not yet. Jonghyun is discussing it with his parents. Umma and appa don't really care about when it will be." Sunyoung paused for a second. Onew...." 

"Yeah?"

"I like you. Thank you for being with me at this moment. I'll miss you." 

Onew widened his eyes, staring at Sunyoung. He stood up and walked closer to her. 

"What do you mean? I'm always here. Why would you miss me?" Onew asked. 

"I don't know. Just forget what I just said." Sunyoung shook her head, standing up next to him. "Let's just go eat lunch now." 

"Sure." Though Onew's heartbeat rose rapidly when Sunyoung said that she liked him, he unwillingly let the moment go, as he didn't want to hurt himself with longing for Sunyoung.

~~~

Sunyoung was obviously nervous and anxious about the press meet. Her hands were constantly shaking and she glanced at the clock every few seconds, waiting for the media to enter the room and ruin her career. 

Onew observed her carefully and looked down at her hands hiding behind the tablecloth covered table. Slowly, he took her hand and squeezed it, without anyone seeing, quickly before letting go. Sunyoung looked at him, surprised. 

"It'll be okay. The scandal I had with Jessica noona was dealt with smoothly and so will this. I promise you." Onew said, smiling at her. 

"Will it really? This is my first scandal. Will it brush off that quickly?" Sunyoung asked. 

"Most likely, yes." Onew assured. He stood up and inquired about something with a nearby staff member when Sunyoung suddenly took his arm. 

"Onew, I'm scared. What if something I say is unpleasant to the media?" Sunyoung said, worried. Her eyebrows furrowed and she looked at Onew with an innocent smile. His eyes landed on Sunyoung's eyes and they stared at each other for a moment before Onew broke eye contact to avoid suspicion of the rumor being true. 

"I am here for you. Like I told you. Do not worry." Onew smiled, once again before piles of reporters entered the room, ready to interrogate Sunyoung and Onew. 

"Annyeong haseyo, everyone. Please take a seat. We will begin shortly." A staff member announced. 

"Well, it's almost our time. Just follow my lead." Onew whispered. He stood up and held his mic to his mouth as he spoke. 

"Annyeong haseyo, this is SHINee's Onew. Recently, I was revealed to be dating Sunyoung due to me and her being photographed together. However, this is false. This is not a rehearsed statement and my company has not told me to say this. I shall explain what the picture is about and my relation to Sunyoung-sshi." Onew stated in a confident manner. Sunyoung stared at Onew, wondering at what he was going to say. 

"Sunyoung and I have known each other since we were born. In fact, we were born in the same hospital on the same day in the same hour. My parents and her parents are family friends and thus, we have grown up together. That night, Sunyoung came home to her parents. I happened to be there as well because my parents told me to wait there for them. That is why I opened the door for Sunyoung that night. Please do not misunderstand. We are just friends. Any questions?" 

"Yes. Sunyoung-sshi, why were you going home to your parents? Is Jonghyun-sshi taking care of you well enough?" A reporter raised her hand.

Sunyoung took the mic from Onew and cleared . "Annyeong haseyo, this is Park Sunyoung. I went home to my parents just because I missed them. I asked Jonghyun before I went and he said yes to me visiting them. He is a wonderful fiance." 

Onew held back a sigh, jealous, but happy for Jonghyun.

"Onew-sshi, as a close friend to Sunyoung, how do you feel about Sunyoung's relationship with your fellow member, Jonghyun?" 

Onew took a deep breath. I have no regrets. Lee Jinki, why do you have to suffer like this? Break free and let your heart pour out from your words.

"As Sunyoung-sshi's friend, I am truly happy for her. I'm happy that she has found the one. As Jonghyun-sshi's group member, I am happy for him for finding someone who can relieve him from his daily stress and make him smile even more. However, as an outsider, I can say that I am extremely jealous of Jonghyun. Sunyoung is the most beautiful woman I have even seen, both inside and out, and I regret not asking her to be my girlfriend earlier. I really like Sunyoung, but things happen, and I must move on." Onew said, avoiding eye contact with anyone. He looked at the wall ahead. 

The room filled with silence, as several photographers and reporters gasped and inundated Onew and Sunyoung with several questions. In the back of the room, Jinyoung, SHINee's manager, widened his eyes. 

"What did he just say?!" Tiffany, Sunyoung's manager, hissed at Jinyoung. 

"I don't know. He never told me about this. We have to end the press meet now." Jinyoung stated, rushing to the front of the room, where Sunyoung and Onew were standing.

Sunyoung peered at Onew, shocked. "Onew, what is this?!?!" She whispered loudly. 

"This is the truth, Sunyoung." Onew replied, not looking at her. 

Author's Note: 

Hello everyone! 

Sorry for not updating in so long! I've been on a hiatus and I've not had any time to update. 

This chapter was shocking, wasn't it? 

Onew has confessed his love for Sunyoung, to Sunyoung and to the public!!!!

It was an unexpected twist, wasn't it? 

I'm happy that Sulli is back and promoting as part of SMTOWN! I've missed her<3

And Jonghyun's album is perfection!! I loved every single song on the album, especially MONO-Drama, Hallelujah, and Deja-boo! 

Next chapter will be very interesting, so be sure to anticipate it!

Thank you for the support! I really appreciate it! 

Bye bye!

Update: My update would've been earlier, but AFF shut down three-four hours ago.  :(

Also, please look at my new LuNew story, "Red Light" when you get the chance! You might like it!