Chapter 033

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 033~~

Onew shuffled back and forth in his kitchen, glancing at the clock. He wondered what would the most appropriate time would be to apologize to Sunyoung. He ran his fingers through his hair and glanced at clock once more, this time hoping Jung Ah wouldn't be home yet. 

His phone rang twice, singing the tune of SHINee's song, "Symptoms". Onew checked the caller and smiled to see Key's name, written as "Kibummie". 

"Yeobo seyo?" Onew said into the phone brightly. 

"Hyung. Can you come pick me and Amber up? We have to go the store and Amber's car is being used by Sulli and my car went for servicing. Also, you have to help us buy something." Key said. 

"Yeah, sure. I'm not that busy, anyway. I have to tell you something on the way though." Onew said.

"Thanks hyung! Can you come now?" Key asked.

"Sure. Bye Key!" Onew smiled, hanging up the phone. His decision to apologize sincerely to Sunyoung had brightened his day and he hummed his OST, "In Your Eyes", as he changed his clothes to go out.

~~~

Onew exhaled the cold December air before explaining to Key and Amber what had happened between him and Jung Ah that morning and about Sunyoung bringing him the previous night. Amber stifled a squeal and nodded. 

"I see. Hyung, what did you feel when you remembered this?" Key questioned. 

Onew stared at his fingers on the steering wheel and sighed. "Key, I felt so pained when I lashed out at Jung Ah. I realized that in the past, I was probably the same to Sunyoung. It makes me feel so guilty towards Jung Ah. I decided to apologize to Sunyoung later today. Maybe in the evening? I think she's going to her parents' house today."

Key coughed and glanced at Amber, who fixed her eyes on the road. Her lip quivered and she held in any emotion of pity. 

The three idols reached a less popular bakery and Amber asked Onew which cake Sunyoung would like best. 

"Why? Are we surprising her? Is it her really late birthday party or something?" Onew smiled, leaning against the glass counter. His eyes lay on the red velvet cake, which he knew Sunyoung loved from previous birthdays. 

"Onew oppa.....Jonghyun oppa is proposing to Sunyoung today. We were hired to buy a cake for her. Actually, Jonghyun hyung didn't really request you but we invited you, too, because you are part of us." Amber confessed, looking down.

"Oh, today's the special day, then. Well, I hope Sunyoung accepts. She deserves to be happy and so does Jonghyun. Both of them are very lucky to have each other." Onew said quietly. His shoulders slouched slightly and he avoided any eye contact. 

"Onew hyung, are you okay?" Key asked, worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's just quickly buy the red velvet cake. Sunyoung likes that the best." Onew said. He asked the baker for the cake and paid for it silently, with Amber and Key watching, speechless. Then, he immediately walked back to the car.

"He took it better than we expected." Amber whispered to Key.

"Hyung is broken apart inside, I bet you." Key said. They climbed into the car and made way to the SM gardens for the event. Though it wouldn't start for a while, Jonghyun had ordered s and friends to be there extremely early in order for the event to go smoothly.

~~~

Jonghyun looked up from the song lyrics he was going to sing for Sunyoung and saw Onew standing in front of him. He stood up, putting the paper in front of him.

"Yah, what are you doing here? I didn't invite you." Jonghyun glared at Onew fiercely. 

"I did. Relax, hyung." Key said, attempting to soothe Jonghyun. However, Jonghyun was in no situation to be calm.

"Jonghyun, please listen for a moment." Onew said.

"No. I don't want to listen. You have nothing to do with me anymore. I may have said that my cold shoulder to you was over, but it doesn't mean I don't despise you inside. I think that-" Jonghyun was interrupted by Onew's sudden exclamation.

"Kim Jonghyun! Will you please listen for a moment? I asked you once and now I am ordering you. Listen to me. You, Minho, Key, Taemin are my brothers. I love you all so much and I would not be happy if you were gone. I also want all of you to be happy now and in the future. I will support you guys until the end. So, please let me. Jonghyun-ah, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for hurting you by hurting Sunyoung. I told myself to sincerely apologize to her today and I am. I will not interfere with your relationship with Sunyoung, okay? I support you completely in proposing to her and I hope she will accept. You both deserve each other and I am going to say that Sunyoung is a lucky woman to have such a caring person. If you still hate me after this, then maybe we aren't compatible as friends." Onew expressed, looking at the ground. Jonghyun gazed at him, confused. His eyes grew wide and he regained his focus on the current situation.

"Hyung. I'm sorry, too. I missed your wise leadership and I regret saying everything I did. You are really like family to me. But, hyung. If you come near Sunyoung, I won't forgive you. As you know, I tend to get jealous. So, I apologize in advance for anything I do or say. Please forgive me, hyung. Thank you for everything. I'm bad with words, as you all know, but I really want you back." Jonghyun smiled. Onew hugged him and the rest of the group sighed. One problem was temporarily situated, but it was obvious that it could turn even more problematic if Onew wasn't careful.

~~~

As Onew saw  Sunyoung in the distance, he warned the others and they went to their places as did Onew. Onew observed Sunyoung smiling at the red carnations and sighed. 

Jonghyun is a lucky man. He gets to have Sunyoung. My best friend. My....Aiish. Stop this, Onew! You have Jung Ah! Onew thought to himself, as Jonghyun began to sing his song. Once it ended, he began his small speech. 

"Park Sunyoung, you were my first love and I want you to be my last. You were the first woman for whom I lost my mind for. For the first nights after I met you, I couldn't sleep or eat or do anything without thinking of you. I knew that this was the feeling of love, from the wise words of Amber Liu. I've said most of what I want to convey to you in the song I wrote for you. Will you marry me, my beautiful Park Sunyoung?" Jonghyun asked. 

He watched her smile grow wider and then lessen when she thought cautiously. Sunyoung looked up at the sky, closing her eyes. As she lowered her head, her eyes opened until she and Onew locked eyes for what seemed like a simple blink for Onew. 

She seemed to be mentally asking him whether she should say yes. Onew silently closed his eyes and opened them, signaling a yes. He gave her a sad smile and his heart tugged at him. He couldn't understand this feeling of both pathos and pride. To keep himself from saying anything and ruining the moment, Onew bit his lip. 

The group awaited Sunyoung's answer anxiously.

Finally, she opened and let out her answer. "Jonghyun, I think that....."

"No?" Jonghyun exclaimed.

"Please let me speak." Sunyoung said. Jonghyun closed his mouth and his eyebrows furrowed, nervous and almost worried. 

"Jonghyun, I love you so so much. You are my everything and I'm glad you came into my life. You showed me a happier world, something I couldn't see before. So, I will give you my answer now." Sunyoung responded. 

"Kim Jonghyun, I will. I will forever be by your side. I will marry you."

Jonghyun gasped and he reached for her ring and placed it on her finger, while Sunyoung did the same for him. Jonghyun pulled Sunyoung closer to him and wrapped his arms around her. Sunyoung hugged him, as well, overwhelmed by happiness and surprise. He gently bent in for a kiss and Onew looked away.

"YAY!!!!" Sulli and Taemin cheered, genuinely happy for the newly engaged couple, but also fretful of Onew and his future. He had Jung Ah, but they could sense that their relationship may not be a lasting one. 

As Jonghyun and Sunyoung spent time together, the rest of their friends silently walked away and left them to their love fest. 

Onew rushed to his car, when he was stopped by Minho. 

"Hyung." 

"Minho, please leave me alone for now." Onew stated. 

"I was just asking if you want to see my apparel for my wedding. You'll be the first one, other than Krystal and umma and appa of course, to see it." Minho said. He knew it was pointless to ask Onew of his feelings and so, this was to substitute as a distraction. 

"Later, okay? I'm busy." Onew said, getting into his car. Onew waved to Minho, as he jogged to Krystal and they sped away.

Onew, on the other hand, pondered for a few moments.

In the past, I would've been glad Sunyoung doesn't like me. I was stupid then. Recently, I've come to love almost everything about her. How though? Now, I am willing to accept the fact that I lost my chance, like Jonghyun said. Sunyoung is not mine and never will be. I am always going to be an idiot. What is wrong with me? Can't my mind function faster? Why didn't I realized I loved her earlier?!