Special Chapter: The Truth Behind Jonghyun and Onew

The Vanity in My Love

~~Special Chapter: The Truth Behind Jonghyun and Onew~~

Two Years Ago: Two days after Sunyoung leaves for America

Jonghyun had been avoiding Onew for three days now. Minho, Taemin, Key, and Onew himself had discerned his behavior. At first, they had ignored it. However, a SHINee World concert in Seoul was coming up soon and if Jonghyun continued to avoid Onew in front of fans, they would become suspicious.

Onew decided to confront Jonghyun about this, when he received a call from SHINee's manager requesting an emergency meeting with SHINee. Onew immediately informed s(excluding Jonghyun, who was out at a schedule) and they all gathered in an SM meeting room.

"Onew, Taemin, Minho, and Key. How are you all?" The manager asked, observing SHINee's behavior.

"Fine." They responded, looking at each other.

"How is your practice going? Any issues?" He continued.

"We need more ice in the cooler in our practice room because my arms are really sore." Key stated.

"I'll make sure a staff member does that. Anything else?" The manager asked. No one answered. 

"Okay. How are your relationships with each other?" The manager. Onew coughed, glancing at Taemin who was across from him. Silence filled the room and the manager sighed. 

"Arasso. If you guys won't admit your problems, then I'll tell you. Where's Jonghyun?" 

"He's at a schedule." Onew replied. 

"No he isn't. He's at your dorm." The manager corrected.

"I thought he was at a schedule. That's what he told us." Minho said. 

"Nope. He came to me and discussed that he wanted to leave SHINee." The manager stated, discreetly.

"No! He can't do that! Jonghyun hyung loves being in SHINee though! He told us that a week ago!" Taemin shouted.

"Wait, why? We haven't been mistreating him or anything." Key said.  

Onew remained quiet and waited for his manager to speak. 

"I want to tell his reason. Quiet down." The members paused their murmurs.

"Jonghyun wants to leave because he is angry at Onew for mistreating his girlfriend, Sunyoung-sshi, in the past. He feels that he won't be happy in SHINee if Onew continues to stay." The manager explained.

"Then, I can leave. I don't want another person's dream to end because of me. I'm sorry, manager hyung for all the trouble I've been causing you." Onew said quietly.

"Hyung, that's ridiculous." Minho stated openly. Key and Taemin nodded. 

"SHINee, please convince Jonghyun to stay. Apologize for your mistakes and do whatever you can. We can't risk SHINee losing a member. It's shocking to me though. You five are so close and family-like." The manager said. 

I've already apologized a million times. Onew thought to himself. What else can I do? Can't he be more lenient? 

"Yes, manager hyung." Key responded, when Onew didn't answer. 

"Alright, that's good. Keep practicing and let's hope for now. You're dismissed. I've already spoken to the SM Board of Directors about your situation and they agreed that you four should convince him." The manager said. 

SHINee stood up and bowed to the manager, before leaving. 

"I'll be right back." Onew said to s, as they left the SM Building. 

"Where are you going, Onew hyung?" Taemin asked. 

"I'm just going for a walk. I'll be back soon. Talk to Jonghyun." Onew said. 

"It's okay, hyung. We'll manage him. Be careful." Minho smiled. Onew looked at him gratefully and began to head in the opposite direction of SHINee's dorm. 

~~~

"Hi, hyung." Taemin said cheerfully, taking a seat next to Jonghyun. SHINee, excluding Onew, had formed a plan while walking back to the dorm. 

"Hey. So, I'm guessing you met with our manager." Jonghyun said. 

"Hyung, why?" Minho demanded, crossing his arms. 

"You know why." Jonghyun said. "If I focus more on him more than I focus on singing, then I know something is wrong. I can't do it anymore." 

"What about us then? Kim Kibum, Choi Minho, Lee Taemin, and of course, SHINee World. How heartbroken would our fans be. Do you know how terrible we would feel? Onew hyung doesn't want you to leave. He even said that if he's the reason you're leaving, then he himself would leave and never see you again." Key said. Minho held back a laugh at Key's exaggeration of Onew saying that he would never see Jonghyun again.

"And have you thought about Sunyoung noona? Do you know how much she loves SHINee and their music? She told me so many times that she loves our close relationship. How would she feel when she finds out if you left SHINee? Same with Onew hyung. He loves to sing and I know for a fact that he loves you like a brother. Why else would he be willing to leave SHINee for you? Please, Jonghyun hyung. Stay with us." Taemin pleaded. 

"Jonghyun hyung, it's all up to you now. Do you agree to hurting me, Key, Taemin, Onew hyung, our manager, SM Entertainment's reputation, Sunyoung noona, and our many fans?" Minho said, staring at Jonghyun.

"Okay, okay. I won't go. I know this was a quick decision, but I don't want to hurt you all. I'll just learn to live with him." Jonghyun sighed. Key and Taemin high-fived each other. 

"Hyung, make up with him. Pretend that nothing ever happened between you two. It's for both of your good." Minho said. 

Jonghyun shrugged at Minho's suggestion and called SHINee's manager to inform him of the fortunate news. Minho shook his head disappointed and went to his room. Key and Taemin excitedly went into the kitchen to celebrate. 

Moments later, Onew arrived and smiled at Jonghyun. "Hey." Onew said. 

"Hi. I'm staying in SHINee, in case you didn't know." Jonghyun said. 

"Really? That's great!" Onew grinned brightly. He let go of his breath and sighed in relief. 

"But, Lee Jinki, remember this. You and I are not friends anymore. We are business partners and that is it. Don't you ever try to come close to me. I hate you, Lee Jinki. Don't you hurt my Sunyoung ever again. I will hurt you harder if you do. SHINee is the only reason I can stand coming near you. Also, Sunyoung is mine. You had more than twenty years to be with her. But you shrugged her off. Now, she is off limits to you and anyone else. Understand?" Jonghyun stepped forward to Onew, facing him with rage. His normally soft, playful eyes turned cold and hard. 

Onew stepped back and nodded. "Okay. Please don't leave SHINee though. It won't be the same."

He began to walk away to his shared room with Minho(SHINee changed rooms every now and then, so it wouldn't be boring to live with the same person) before Jonghyun could say anything more. 

He closed the door behind him and stared at Minho, who was silently reading a book. 

"Minho, you heard everything, right?" Onew said in almost a whisper.

"Of course, Onew hyung. Jonghyun hyung isn't the quietest at expressing his feelings." Minho looked up at Onew. 

"I guess I do deserve this. I should've never hurt Sunyoung. Why am I so careless and vain and a terrible person?" Onew frowned. 

"You're one of the kindest person I know, hyung, What are you saying? Maybe you should've thought of what you said to Sunyoung noona, but it's not like she was completely damaged and torn by your words. She was able to start over. Jonghyun hyung is being dramatic." Minho stated. 

"Aiish. Why does this have to happen? I am sorry. I really am. To Sunyoung, Jonghyun, you, Key, and Taeminnie. I've caused you trouble these past few weeks, even though I'm the one whose supposed to be taking your trouble. I'm so sorry." Onew fell to his knees, feeling repentant. 

"Hyung, get up. It's okay. There's no need to be so contrite. We're always here for you." Minho reached over to Onew and patted his shoulder gently. 

Onew sighed and stood up. I'm sorry, everyone. I will show a better side of me from now on. Sunyoung-ah, please forgive me. I like you a lot as a best friend and I want you back.